News: All Seven Rounds Of Dallas Cowboys 2016 Draft Board Rankings Possibly Revealed

AbeBeta

Reaction score
A couple interesting QB grades. Lynch 1st round and Jeff Driskel 4th. Based on this looks like they drafted their board.

Board Driskel ahead of Dak. How is that drafting to the board?

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Unless it was an earlier version of the list or something, right?

Yes...it has to be something along those lines. As some have stated, this could be fake, but someone went to a lot of effort if it was, indeed, faked. I think it's real...I/we just don't know the circumstances/ timing/creator of the board. On the bright side, it makes for a lot of fun speculation/debate during this dead period!

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Yep. That part makes absolutely zero sense, strategically.

Unless it was an earlier version of the list or something, right?
They try to keep coaches and scouts input into the draft separate to not skew the board. Scouts tend to prefer physical skills and I believe our coaches really like Dak's intangibles. Coaches got to give their input on the clock.

RS12

Reaction score
And you both trust this coaching staff to get the most out of either of them?

Zeke is a self motivator ........ and this staff does much better on offense than defense.

D-players are wasted with this staff ....... they cannot develop them

Could not agree more,

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They try to keep coaches and scouts input into the draft separate to not skew the board. Scouts tend to prefer physical skills and I believe our coaches really like Dak's intangibles. Coaches got to give their input on the clock.

I've heard a lot in the past re: how Garrett likes to organize the draft process to include input from his coaches, but I had the impression that that happened almost completely up front, where the scouts would spend time with the staff early to identify the traits and characteristics that were important for each position so that they could cross-reference that data prior to the very start of the evaluation process. Then the two sides worked collaboratively to make sure that what was on college film was actually what the coaches were looking for.

One the criteria were clear and were set, though, I thought the coaches' biggest role in the drafting process was done and that the scouts then came up with the board based off of that data.

Once the board was set, the team administration (including Jason with input from the coordinators) took the measurements and basically decided as a group how best to spend the resources they had to bring in the most talent they could in one sitting. So if trades were made, for example, or if they decided to risk a higher rated player sliding because they thought that same guy would have a higher likelihood of being available in a later round or as a FA, they'd deviate from the boards for tactical reasons. But I still thought it was the scouts who ultimately drove the process of assembling the board.

It seems silly to hire professionals to assess talent and build a board, and then give the control to the coaching staff the team is actually on the clock. Doesn't it?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I think that the doctor's recommendation of Jaylon Smith's nerve regeneration played a huge role in his eventual selection. Despite his injury status, the front office gave him a solid high first round grade if the information is accurate.

Just to be clear, is this the same Dr. that prescribed Lawrence something that got him suspended?

chicago JK

Reaction score
It is stunning that such an amazingly tight run ship in Dallas that these things continue to leak. Typically they let nothing slip.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I've heard a lot in the past re: how Garrett likes to organize the draft process to include input from his coaches, but I had the impression that that happened almost completely up front, where the scouts would spend time with the staff early to identify the traits and characteristics that were important for each position so that they could cross-reference that data prior to the very start of the evaluation process. Then the two sides worked collaboratively to make sure that what was on college film was actually what the coaches were looking for.

One the criteria were clear and were set, though, I thought the coaches' biggest role in the drafting process was done and that the scouts then came up with the board based off of that data.

Once the board was set, the team administration (including Jason with input from the coordinators) took the measurements and basically decided as a group how best to spend the resources they had to bring in the most talent they could in one sitting. So if trades were made, for example, or if they decided to risk a higher rated player sliding because they thought that same guy would have a higher likelihood of being available in a later round or as a FA, they'd deviate from the boards for tactical reasons. But I still thought it was the scouts who ultimately drove the process of assembling the board.

It seems silly to hire professionals to assess talent and build a board, and then give the control to the coaching staff the team is actually on the clock. Doesn't it?
I think it's silly to not allow your coaches some input on draft day.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's silly to not allow your coaches some input on draft day.

Really? I feel the opposite. The scouts scout and the coaches coach. To the extent Marinelli or Linehan are among your best football minds, I see having them in the room as part of the strategy for the process. Ie, 'we're going to take the CB her and pass on the OT for the time being, because we think there's a good chance that OT falls to our next pick...." kinds of things.

What I can't see is 'our scouts like Driskel more than Prescott, but we're going to take Prescott anyway because that's what the coaches prefer.'

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Really? I feel the opposite. The scouts scout and the coaches coach. To the extent Marinelli or Linehan are among your best football minds, I see having them in the room as part of the strategy for the process. Ie, 'we're going to take the CB her and pass on the OT for the time being, because we think there's a good chance that OT falls to our next pick...." kinds of things.

What I can't see is 'our scouts like Driskel more than Prescott, but we're going to take Prescott anyway because that's what the coaches prefer.'

Don't you think that the interview process played into this at some point?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is stunning that such an amazingly tight run ship in Dallas that these things continue to leak. Typically they let nothing slip.

I'm actually surprised more teams don't let the info out. Once the players are picked and signed, the only downside to the organization is that it makes you look smart (or dumb) over time with the data floating around. But it makes for such a fertile bit of off-season speculating you'd think more teams would do it. For example, we see here that the team might have liked Wentz a bit more than they liked Goff. That alone ought to be good for a nice back-and-forth QB thread. If we could also see that PHI's board had Wentz at, say, #2 overall or #4 overall or whatever, we could then start debating how the two teams actually handled everything. It would make this month a bit more interesting if the internet could compare and contrast everything for us and basically reverse-engineer the draft in the month prior to the start of camp. Then two, three years down the road, it'd be even better as we get a sense for how the higher ranked players on everybody's boards actually developed.

DFWJC

Reaction score
IF...big if...this was the final board and not just one version...

Looks like they went off board a few times:

• Kendall Fuller (CB) and Conner Cook were available and rated higher than Maleik Collins when they took him. Assume if they took V Butler is the 2nd then one of them would be the 3rd rd pick. So DT had priority.
  • Ronald Blair (DE), Jordan Howard, and Devonte Booker were available and rated higher than Charles Tapper when they took him. Blair would be the surprise pass, as the others were RBs.
  • Jeff Driscoll (QB) was available and rated higher than Dak Prescott when they took him.
  • Anthony Brown and Kavon Frazier appear to be a huge steals by their board.
  • also, just an observation....if they had not taken Elliott and Smith 1-2, then it would have been Ramsey and Henry. And if they had decided to wait even later for RB, they would have gotten great value with several backs according to their board.

Last edited:

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I'm actually surprised more teams don't let the info out. Once the players are picked and signed, the only downside to the organization is that it makes you look smart (or dumb) over time with the data floating around. But it makes for such a fertile bit of off-season speculating you'd think more teams would do it. For example, we see here that the team might have liked Wentz a bit more than they liked Goff. That alone ought to be good for a nice back-and-forth QB thread. If we could also see that PHI's board had Wentz at, say, #2 overall or #4 overall or whatever, we could then start debating how the two teams actually handled everything. It would make this month a bit more interesting if the internet could compare and contrast everything for us and basically reverse-engineer the draft in the month prior to the start of camp. Then two, three years down the road, it'd be even better as we get a sense for how the higher ranked players on everybody's boards actually developed.

I don't like it. It you tend to draft and evaluate players a certain way, it could potentially give your opponents an advantage during the draft where they could predict your next move. Maybe I'm reaching, but I think this info should be kept close to the vest.

Last edited:

Plankton

Reaction score

I agree.

Coaches should set the prototypes for the position(s) that they coach. Scouts should do the rankings based on those parameters.

Why would you let a guy who read the Cliff's Notes write the book report over the guy who actually took the time (as part of his job, he has the time to do just that) to read the whole book?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
. Maybe I'm reaching, but I think this info should be kept close to the vest.

It absolutely should be.

Also, you should say we drafted a guy because we liked him there. No need to throw out justifications that Baltimore or the Patriots were about to take him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
So they only had 16 players worthy of round one. Just to project, it looks like that may put Wentz (7th of 16) and Goff (9th of 16) as about mid 1st round values unless the top 7-9 player were all lumped together.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't like it. It you tend to draft and evaluate players a certain way, it could give potentially your opponents an advantage during the draft where they could predict your next move. Maybe I'm reaching, but I think this info should be kept close to the vest.

I agree for several reason. Just no reason let the entire board be seen.
Does any other team do this?

Sydla

Reaction score
No, you can't. They happen about once every 5 years. Better chance of finding a Richard Sherman or Josh Norman in the 5th round.

A corner has a very limited impact on a game unless he's Deion Sanders.

Nope, you didn't have to use a Top 5 pick to get a 3 down back.

2014 Top Rushers

Murray - 3rd round
Bell - 2nd round
McCoy - 2nd round
Lynch - 1st round
Forsett - 7th round

2013 Top Rushers

McCoy - 2nd round
Forte - 2nd round
Charles - 3rd round
Morris - 6th round
Peterson - 1st round

2012 Top Rushers

Peterson - 1st round
Morris - 6th round
Lynch - 1st round
Charles - 3rd round
Martin - 1st round

2011 Top Rushers

Jones-Drew - 2nd round
Rice - 2nd round
Turner - 5th round
McCoy - 2nd round
Foster - UDFA

The only year in the last 5 where you see the Top 5 rushers in the league come from the first round was 2015. Peterson, Martin, McFadden, Gurley were first rounders, Ivory was a UDFA. But you've already stated 2015 was a fluke year.