News: All Seven Rounds Of Dallas Cowboys 2016 Draft Board Rankings Possibly Revealed

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ramsey is a much better prospect than Jones (who I love) and we need 4 guys back there. We were heavy in the Zeke camp which I understand.

What I don't understand is if Elliott was our #1 guy we should have been THRILLED to draft him at 4. Instead, we doubt ourselves and call Baltimore to try to trade down. I wish we had more confidence in our rankings and if not, get new guys in there to do the rankings. We had a higher grade on Kendall Fuller that Collins but opted for Collins....and whoever had Maliek Colllins ahead of William Jackson and Keanu Neal should be fired yesterday.

I think Baltimore called us. And as a team, any team, you listen to all offers. Once we found out that the Ravens really wanted Zeke also, as they tried not to let that get out, the phones were hung up.
ALL offers were off the table at that point. I'm sure if they wanted to throw in next years #1, it may have been different.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ramsey is a much better prospect than Jones (who I love) and we need 4 guys back there. We were heavy in the Zeke camp which I understand.

What I don't understand is if Elliott was our #1 guy we should have been THRILLED to draft him at 4. Instead, we doubt ourselves and call Baltimore to try to trade down. I wish we had more confidence in our rankings and if not, get new guys in there to do the rankings. We had a higher grade on Kendall Fuller that Collins but opted for Collins....and whoever had Maliek Colllins ahead of William Jackson and Keanu Neal should be fired yesterday.

Ramsey should have been the pick. But if you like Elliott at #4 but think you could get him at #6 and pick up another pick in the process, then you consider that. All the work that goes into the draft, you listen to offers while you've got time when you're on the clock. You never know when you might be able to get something for nothing, or when somebody might come up and knock your socks off. It's got nothing to do with confidence in your draft board.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I think Baltimore called us. And as a team, any team, you listen to all offers. Once we found out that the Ravens really wanted Zeke also, as they tried not to let that get out, the phones were hung up.
ALL offers were off the table at that point. I'm sure if they wanted to throw in next years #1, it may have been different.

No, we called them and they wanted Ramsey. They only wanted to give up a 4th, we wanted more.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think that the doctor's recommendation of Jaylon Smith's nerve regeneration played a huge role in his eventual selection. Despite his injury status, the front office gave him a solid high first round grade if the information is accurate.

Hopefully the NFL will encourage each franchise into "declassifying" their complete boards sometime after the draft concludes someday. There would not be any real harm done making the information public in my opinion. Sure, there may be annual controversy generated about which player did or didn't get picked where a team was or wasn't expected to select them but enough of it whirls around public speculation of what outsiders think teams did or didn't do during the draft already.

So why not publicize the boards? It would create more general commentary for social media starving constantly for more content to talk about. Good and bad commentary would boost the league's mystique even more among fans. Archiving the information would serve as a great store, injecting more mystical lore into its overall image. For example, I can just imagine how things might turn out for Smith if his knee recovers and he goes on to enjoy a great career...

[from Smith's hall of fame speech] "It's funny looking back at some teams' selection boards. They didn't think much of my chances after my injury. Dallas gave me the opportunity and that's why I'm standing in front of all of you today..."

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I think that the doctor's recommendation of Jaylon Smith's nerve regeneration played a huge role in his eventual selection. Despite his injury status, the front office gave him a solid high first round grade if the information is accurate.

Hopefully the NFL will encourage each franchise into "declassifying" their complete boards sometime after the draft concludes someday. There would not be any real harm done making the information public in my opinion. Sure, there may be annual controversy generated about which player did or didn't get picked where a team was or wasn't expected to select them but enough of it whirls around public speculation of what outsiders think teams did or didn't do during the draft already.

So why not publicize the boards? It would create more general commentary for social media starving constantly for more content to talk about. Good and bad commentary would boost the league's mystique even more among fans. Archiving the information would serve as a great store, injecting more mystical lore into its overall image. For example, I can just imagine how things might turn out for Smith if his knee recovers and he goes on to enjoy a great career...

[from Smith's hall of fame speech] "It's funny looking back at some teams' selection boards. They didn't think much of my chances after my injury. Dallas gave me the opportunity and that's why I'm standing in front of all of you today..."

Never gonna happen.

Sydla

Reaction score
We got a athletic corner who projected as a safety last year. Why would we want another one?

Because there are two safeties on the field and the 2nd one we have stinks. And I believe the Cowboys actually projected Ramsey as a CB, and we certainly could use an upgrade at CB.

In today's NFL you are seeing more teams look for safeties that have CB skill sets. The days where every team had a thumping SS are gone.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ramsey is a much better prospect than Jones (who I love) and we need 4 guys back there

Because there are two safeties on the field and the 2nd one we have stinks. And I believe the Cowboys actually projected Ramsey as a CB, and we certainly could use an upgrade at CB.

And you both trust this coaching staff to get the most out of either of them?

Zeke is a self motivator ........ and this staff does much better on offense than defense.

D-players are wasted with this staff ....... they cannot develop them

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Publicizing the boards, Smith's HOF induction or both?

Publicizing the boards.

I agree that it would be great for fans and the media. But it starts getting personal at some point... I just think it would turn into a PR nightmare.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

Sydla

Reaction score
And you both trust this coaching staff to get the most out of either of them?

Zeke is a self motivator ........ and this staff does much better on offense than defense.

D-players are wasted with this staff ....... they cannot develop them

So we should never use any high picks on defensive players with this current staff?

Sydla

Reaction score
I could be mistaken. I heard it was us who tried to trade down and wanted more than the 4th Baltimore was willing to give. I still think you jump on your guy if it's the #1 overall player on your board. The difference between a 3rd and a 4th shouldn't be enough to move you off your #1 guy.

I think the Cowboys were open to moving but wanted more than the 4th round pick back so they stayed. But then again, Jones leaked at the time of the draft that they didn't move down because Baltimore wanted Elliott. So frankly, I am not sure I'd trust much of what comes out of Jones' mouth about that pick.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Publicizing the boards.

I agree that it would be great for fans and the media. But it starts getting personal at some point... I just think it would turn into a PR nightmare.
I think that's a valid possibility but I'm uncertain how much info would be needed to ignite the discontent. Team boards have been leaked occasionally in the past and there hasn't been any real backlash as a result in my opinion. The difference would be formalizing the publication of the boards. Maybe the league could consider doing so on a trial basis--perhaps after a single draft or two--and see what the general reaction would be.

erod

Reaction score
Depends.

Can I get a three down TB in later rounds and use premium picks on defense, which was a bigger need? I think I could.

And in the end, you are projecting your own thoughts into the mix here. All I am saying is that if the Cowboys had Ramsey #2 on their board, they should have taken him at #4 IMO. You can think Ramsey is an athletic kid who lacks playmaking skills but the Cowboys clearly thought he was the #2 player in this entire draft based on that board.

No, you can't. They happen about once every 5 years. Better chance of finding a Richard Sherman or Josh Norman in the 5th round.

A corner has a very limited impact on a game unless he's Deion Sanders.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Everything I've read showed that the ravens lowballed them. A 3rd was offered rather when based off typical value board points it would have been a 2nd or two 3rds to move up to that pick.

edit/ I may be a round high on this, going off memory. So 4th when a 3rd or two 4th should have been offered.

Last edited:

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Interesting that they took Prescott over Driskel when he was rated lower and they play the same positions.

Yep. That part makes absolutely zero sense, strategically.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Or it could be a fake board or not finalized, as to throw people off as a joke. To give us something to post about. With 10 days left until TC...LOL...
There is no one in the photo, so who and when was this taken. And who let it out. Spalding ?....:muttley:....and why now?

Indeed. I put very little stock into the validity of this "news".