All the coaches still in the Playoffs are known for their innovative and smart game plans. Garrett?

gmoney112

Reaction score
Ridiculous. I want Garrett gone as much as the next fan. But. gimme a break. Rams have a stout O-line that controlled the whole damn game. Rams didn't need any Innovative plan. They ran it right down the Cowboys throats. Dallas defense could do nothing to stop it. Dallas were boys, hotless boys playing against grown men. The Rams dictated the plays. Dallas did nothing..That Rams O-line was phenomenal. Plain and simple. Gimme a dominant O-line and even a good RB over this BS "innovative, gimmick" stupid offense that everyone is so high on.. You don't have good O-line or D-line. You're screwed. Dominance will always win.

Attacking a defense isn't stupid or a gimmick, it's the game. Notice how the final 4 teams have excellent coaching known for attacking defenses.

It's almost like the game is bigger than catchphrases and stupid 1-liners like, "dominance will always win".

Hadenough

Reaction score
Garrett, if he is known for anything, it is his motivational skills.

What is more important as a HC.
Being a coach who has innovative, creative and smart game plans, or a coach who is known as a motivator?

Belicheat probably spends 99.5% of his time prior to,and during the game, game planning OR adjusting his game plan not motivating his players! Even when motivating Belicheat is talking about his game plan. “Do your job”( like the game plan taught you)
I heard a Patriots player state that they have Sat morning meetings and Belichick would randomly selected certain players and ask them questions about their individual matchup player who they will be facing during the game and if they didn't do their homework on their opponent and got the questions wrong they didn't play that week.
That's what I call running a tight ship.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Garrett, if he is known for anything, it is his motivational skills.

What is more important as a HC.
Being a coach who has innovative, creative and smart game plans, or a coach who is known as a motivator?

Belicheat probably spends 99.5% of his time prior to,and during the game, game planning OR adjusting his game plan not motivating his players! Even when motivating Belicheat is talking about his game plan. “Do your job”( like the game plan taught you)
pete Carroll? innovative? not sure I buy that......Andy reid had teams with loads of talent, first round playoff losses, until mahomes came along and shattered records. not sure if Nagy is innovative. he took a risk ad traded for Mack and that defense just went nuts...the offense is very meh.

also comparing any coach to bilicheck (or cheat as you called him). not sure if its fair to any other coach. he is once in a generation type of coach. garret not being in his level!!!, not many coaches are

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Absolutely not true. Look deeper and think more. Don't be like JG and SL.

What did the Rams do on Offense besides just line up and beat us at the LOS?

1. They used motion and personnel packages to confuse the Cowboy linebackers which took them out of position and made them hesitant at the snap. Every tenth of a second counts.
2. They gambled assuming the OL could 1:1 block the DL and didn't double-team, which allowed other OL to get to the 2nd level quickly.
3. They played at hurry-up pace so we couldn't swap out personnel.
4. They went to the LOS with 2-4 plays and based upon the way the DL was setup (where they lined up, hand placement) they chose which play and blocking scheme would work the best. Did you see Goff looking at the jumbotron the whole time?
5. Finally, they knew we would be focused on the pass, because Seattle couldn't run on us. They out smarted us and went in with a run-heavy game plan. But without 1-4, that game plan wouldn't have worked.

That's strategic and tactical game planning. That's studying your opponent and adjusting to beat them. That shows detailed understanding of Xs and Os. That's something our coaching staff has ever shown the ability to do. Our approach is to 'stop what we do', not to come up with an intelligent game plan that gives us the best chance to win in that specific situation. That doesn't work anymore.
Fair enough..

It confused the Defense. I guess with sloppy line playing by the Rams all the scheming would've worked? Don't think so.

And, save your "Don't be like JG and SL".. I have been calling for Garrett to be fired LONG before most in here wanted it. SL was never a thought. Never should've been hired.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
What about the front 7 that didn't touch Goff?

Easy. That was all about the Rams knowing the X's and O's better than Dallas of course. Didn't have anything to do with the Rams O-line being better.. Naw, none of that. Don't win games in the trenches anymore. That's the old NFL.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Attacking a defense isn't stupid or a gimmick, it's the game. Notice how the final 4 teams have excellent coaching known for attacking defenses.

It's almost like the game is bigger than catchphrases and stupid 1-liners like, "dominance will always win".

Way to fully miss the point Mr. Wizard.

JGRXXN

Reaction score
Andy Reid I wouldnt call it great scheme. He has the perfect combination of a street ball QB and street ball WR. And when that’s covered up dump it to Kelce over the middle.

When they had hunt they were unbeatable.
your wrong look at their passing concepts... it's designed to get players open

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
ROFL.. yeah cuz when ole T Romo was firing on all cylinders, and in his "prime" as you say, well hell he took us to.........ahh, umm hum ohh wait here is his ALL pro super duper winning in the post season record...
he never won a Lombardi Trophy or even reached an NFC Championship Game. Romo finishes with a 2-4 postseason record. 506:

lmao - nice try CUZ.

This wasn't about the playoffs dude this was about scoring points. But since you had to yap about it - I'll jump in and educate you.

Romo had 9 TD and 2 INT and a 94 QB rating in the playoffs. He did his job.

Two dropped TD's agains the Giants in '07, the worst offensive line in football in the Divisional game against the Vikings and following what should've been an MVP season in 16 he was clutch in '16 bringing us back against the Lions and had a virtually perfect Divisional game taken away but the refs against the Packers.

34,000 yards and 248 TD's and an INT% better than Aikman, Staubach, Elway, Marino and Favre.

But you're gonna rip him and make yourself look bad.

By the way, Kelley, Marino, Fouts, Tarkenton, Moon, all HOFers didn't win a Lombardi either, yet Rypien, Dilfer and Flacco did. How does that work champ?

Wouldn't be the ultimate team sport would it?
Should've picked on somebody else with that weak take so you wouldn't have got embarrassed. In fact, I feel sorry for you already.

I'm sorry dude - my bad. :muttley:

Last edited:

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Uh, no, Andy Reid isn't really famous for being innovative or particularly smart. Even at the peak of his career, when the Eagles went to 4 straight NFC championship games (the last of them leading to a Super Bowl berth), he wasn't typically heralded as brilliant. I think he was often tagged as being dumb, actually. That may be because of genuine issues like stubborn playcalling or clock- or game-management incompetence, or it may simply be because his extreme weight caused people to see him as a cartoonish oaf.
Watch KC this week . Reed is pretty creative!, especially when compared to a guy like Linehan or Garrett.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score

Many people on here do not understand the importance of great coaching. Our D line was plenty stout vs the best running team in football, Seattle, only a week ago. This week the Rams run all over us. Was it a case of our Defense all of a sudden becoming weak against the run or, the Ram’s coaching staff found a way to exploit our run defense?
Seeing how well we defended Seattle’s #1 ranked running attack, I think the Rams coaches definitely found a weakness they could exploit in our run D!

Coaching Matters a lot!!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
pete Carroll? innovative? not sure I buy that......Andy reid had teams with loads of talent, first round playoff losses, until mahomes came along and shattered records. not sure if Nagy is innovative. he took a risk ad traded for Mack and that defense just went nuts...the offense is very meh.

also comparing any coach to bilicheck (or cheat as you called him). not sure if its fair to any other coach. he is once in a generation type of coach. garret not being in his level!!!, not many coaches are
Garrett and Linehan, actually the defensive staff too, got completely out coached by McVay and the Rams staff.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I heard a Patriots player state that they have Sat morning meetings and Belichick would randomly selected certain players and ask them questions about their individual matchup player who they will be facing during the game and if they didn't do their homework on their opponent and got the questions wrong they didn't play that week.
That's what I call running a tight ship.
Could you see Garrett doing that? Belicheat gives essay ?’s, Garrett gives T/F ?’s.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I give them credit for designing a scheme to match their talent
Not many teams could pull off what they do because they wouldn’t have the players
But every coach or OC should design around what you have in players and add new stuff to compliment what you gain in the draft and FA
I think our OC has a system and stays within that system
I give Reid credit for innovative use of the talent he has
Every aspect of their scheme wouldn’t work here because of the guys we have but much of it could
To me it’s about not designing an offense but designing an offense that gets the most out of the guys you havr
Exactly correct! Do we design an offense that gets the most out of Dak’s skill set? NO,NO,NO!! Do we design an offense that gets the most out of the receivers skill sets? HEL_ NO!

cowboyec

Reaction score
other than the rams...I think the QBs have more to do with it personally...and that isn't a shot at Dak.
I think he'll get us there soon.

the Patriots with their 2 are beyond category.
the rams were better...thats why we lost.
we'll get'm next year...if not...I think JG is gone.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well, Garrett and Linehan would have to let Dak go no huddle. He’s at his best up tempo. I think we could have scored with Dak going no huddle but, we still needed the 2 point conversion. Linehan would have called a low % fade against Taleb to end our season on the 2 point conversion. Garrwtt and Linehan don’t coach to Dak’s strengths.

Was Heath interviewed about that play after the game? I don’t know how Heath did not see Goff rolling out. Aikman didn’t even mention it during the telecast.
the score was actually much closer than the actual game. the Rams literally dropped a pick 6 and twice inside the 5 and couldn't score a TD....not sure why they didn't run down there, given success they were having.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Absolutely not true. Look deeper and think more. Don't be like JG and SL.

What did the Rams do on Offense besides just line up and beat us at the LOS?

1. They used motion and personnel packages to confuse the Cowboy linebackers which took them out of position and made them hesitant at the snap. Every tenth of a second counts.
2. They gambled assuming the OL could 1:1 block the DL and didn't double-team, which allowed other OL to get to the 2nd level quickly.
3. They played at hurry-up pace so we couldn't swap out personnel.
4. They went to the LOS with 2-4 plays and based upon the way the DL was setup (where they lined up, hand placement) they chose which play and blocking scheme would work the best. Did you see Goff looking at the jumbotron the whole time?
5. Finally, they knew we would be focused on the pass, because Seattle couldn't run on us. They out smarted us and went in with a run-heavy game plan. But without 1-4, that game plan wouldn't have worked.

That's strategic and tactical game planning. That's studying your opponent and adjusting to beat them. That shows detailed understanding of Xs and Os. That's something our coaching staff has ever shown the ability to do. Our approach is to 'stop what we do', not to come up with an intelligent game plan that gives us the best chance to win in that specific situation. That doesn't work anymore.
Excellent analysis. Our coaches are so lame and scared. Always worried about time of possession. Possibly, Dak’s biggest strength is going up tempo or no huddle. We should have started the game with the Offense going no huddle, but we don’t even hardly see it!! Is that coaching to Dak’s strength. Should have had a couple designed runs for Dak too!

Dumbest mistake of all. On 4th and 1 when the defense is giving up the QB sneak, Garrett should have it drummed into Dak’s head to change the play and run the QB sneak!!!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I've never understood this claim that Garrett is a "motivator". Im not seeing it. If you want to say that players like him then sure they appear to like the guy. He is likeable in person I am sure.

Motivation to me is getting the best out of your players. Its pushing the right buttons to make them better then they are. A team that overachieves or fulfills their potential has a coach that presses the right buttons at the right time.

That's NOT Garrett. His teams typically under achieve and often come out flat in prime time, important games. His record in win or go home type games bears that out.

Garrett does not inspire greatness. Dont see him that way. He treats them all the same way with respect and a nice fanny pat of confidence. Thats NOT how you press the right buttons. Not all the time anyway.
That’s why I said, if he is known for anything it’s motivation. I personally don’t think he does anything particularly well, except loss playoff games, when we are in them every 3rd year or so.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Whole stadium knew it was going to Zeke.. Bootleg Dak ala what the Rams did with Goff, more success rate there at that time.
Please rewatch that play. The QB sneak was wide open to the left of the Center. Brady runs the QB sneak in this situation EVERY TIME!