All22 Review: Collins vs Leary

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because it's so easy to shift your momentum to the opposite direction after already cutting back once, and that too, avoiding the Falcons lineman that is diving at his legs after engaging with Smith...

Someday the NFL will have cameras on all players helmets and an application that allows fans to see what the player sees. I think people might realize that it is much more difficult to make those decision on the field in real time than it is to decide what a player should have done after watching the game footage repeatedly.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Someday the NFL will have cameras on all players helmets and an application that allows fans to see what the player sees. I think people might realize that it is much more difficult to make those decision on the field in real time than it is to decide what a player should have done after watching the game footage repeatedly.

Lol, your signature is apt for this thread and I just noticed it. Murray should have kept running ahead and to the right...big hole. But no, he had to cut it back way to the left. </sarcasm>

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol, your signature is apt for this thread and I just noticed it. Murray should have kept running ahead and to the right...big hole. But no, he had to cut it back way to the left. </sarcasm>

Yes, the primary reason that Murray had over 1800 yards last season was because he was able to carry the ball 392 times. His endurance to do that was impressive; however, there was nothing really wow about his performances. He sometimes got the extra yard or two that other RBs might not, but he missed some significant opportunities also.

When Barry Sanders rushed for over 2000 yards, he only needed 335 carries to do it.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
We do a lot of zone runs so looking to get outside is kinda the point.

Zone as in running yourself out of the play zone? Come on dude, it's okay to say we need to expect better, you don't need to be an apologist here.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Zone as in running yourself out of the play zone? Come on dude, it's okay to say we need to expect better, you don't need to be an apologist here.

We do need to expect better but that play is a terrible example.

If anything he did a good job getting positive yards.

All of this stuff happens a 100 miles per hour and he doesn't have an above camera angle to see what we saw.

He ultimately made a good positive play.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
No. He should've went to the left of Fred then diagonal right. Long gain.

It is possible but I think you're underestimating the defensive lineman crashing down. Because Tyron decided to try a cut block, that guy had a straight line to glory. He was about to earhole Randle like a sum*****.

RW31

Reaction score
Clearly that gif tells you everything you need to know about any of the players you see there. OP delivered.

bkeavs

Reaction score
the more i watch film the more I see Frederick getting pushed into the backfield which is disrupting these runs

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the more i watch film the more I see Frederick getting pushed into the backfield which is disrupting these runs

That has happened, but not on the play being discussed here and shown in the Gif. He is making a reach block which requires the OL to take a step or two back as they're moving laterally because they are trying to get around to the front side of the defender (i.e. Fred wants to be between the defender and the right sideline). The problem is that when the play is called, the offense does not know exactly where the defenders will line up. On this play the defender lined up to far too the (offensive) right for Fred to complete the reach block. That is why the RB is required to "read" that block and cut back when the reach block is not working.

What I would like to see on a play like this is for Fred to determine that the reach is not possible and then to just go ahead and block the defender towards the right sideline instead of trying to prevent the defender from going towards the right sideline. The reason he does not do that is because he's trying to give the RB the option. It is up to the coaches to make that change, not Fred.

On some plays where Fred does get pushed into the backfield this season, I think it is sometimes because he is not getting an initial help block from the Guards that most Centers get. I think the coaches might have looked at his success last season and decided he does not need help; however, I think they might need to reconsider that idea, especially against specific teams with powerful Nose Tackles.