All22 Review: Collins vs Leary

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Don't know what you're looking at -- Randle was ready to cut and go but somebody stepped into the lane at the last second. And even after breaking to the outside, he turned north fairly quickly again. There was nothing wrong with that run.

Oh, and why is Tyron Smith trying to cut block that defensive lineman? He could have driven him into the stands and Randle would still be running.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
My sources tell me Barry Sanders is mentoring Joseph Randle and Julius Jones is mentoring DMC.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
To the people that are thinking Randle could have gotten outside to the right, look at Free and the poa DE. Free has his hands kinda on him but he doresnt have him hooked while the DE has arms extended and is holding the poa.

I agree that the peripheral blocking was nice but I don't blame Randle for reading Free as weak at the poa. Maybe make an inside out move and try to shake the DE maybe instead but people don't want him dancing either.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh, and why is Tyron Smith trying to cut block that defensive lineman? He could have driven him into the stands and Randle would still be running.

That is a reach block. On a reach block the OL has to come from the backside of the defender, loop around to his front side and make the block. There are multiple reason to use a cut block in that situation. The cut block assures that the block is made in time. It is easy to end up blocking the defender in the back on reach blocks especially when the defender gets his should low which was the case on this play. On a normal block, Randle would need to decide to got left or right of Tyron's block based which side the defender will be on. With the cut block it's obvious where the defender will be with not "read" needed.

Keep in mind the primary intention of this play was to go the right of Fred's block but the defenders shifted and made it impossible to Fred to make that block. If the run had gone right of Fred then the cut block by Tyron would not have been a problem.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To the people that are thinking Randle could have gotten outside to the right, look at Free and the poa DE. Free has his hands kinda on him but he doresnt have him hooked while the DE has arms extended and is holding the poa.

I agree that the peripheral blocking was nice but I don't blame Randle for reading Free as weak at the poa. Maybe make an inside out move and try to shake the DE maybe instead but people don't want him dancing either.

Yes, the RB would have to take that far outside and would need elite speed for that to work.

Randle is more quick than fast.

McFadden did make one of those type plays work early in the season where he just outruns defenders to get the corner but it's probably not a good option for Randle in this particular play.

On the flip side of that, I do think they should encourage McFadden to run far outside more often. He would either have success or he would at least cause defenses to spread out more possibly giving him a little more room when running inside or just off Tackle. As it is, defenses know that the Cowboys don't like to run far to the outside which makes them easier to defend, IMO.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Actually there is a guy that posts here whose Dad is an NFL coach. That guy won't admit to it and I'm not going to reveal his user name, but just keep in mind that at some point you could be arguing with somebody that has access to information that average fans don't. There are also some High School and College coaches that have posted here as well as some people that played college football.

That explains how that certain individual has had access to some of those advanced stats before they became more common.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Actually there is a guy that posts here whose Dad is an NFL coach. That guy won't admit to it and I'm not going to reveal his user name, but just keep in mind that at some point you could be arguing with somebody that has access to information that average fans don't. There are also some High School and College coaches that have posted here as well as some people that played college football.

I'm not talking about anyone else but Catch. X not sure why you interjected here with this.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
http://www.ctclive.com/2015/10/lael-collins-is-right-choice-for-both.html

One reason I believe Dallas made the move to Collins is that he's just a better athlete than Leary at this point in his career. Collins can get out to the second level quicker, which will help turn short gains into longer runs. Here's an example of how quickly Collins gets to the second level:

LastLightGilamonster.gif

La'el Collins at the second level

God ****** if Randle would follow his blockers.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Yes, the RB would have to take that far outside and would need elite speed for that to work.

Randle is more quick than fast.

McFadden did make one of those type plays work early in the season where he just outruns defenders to get the corner but it's probably not a good option for Randle in this particular play.

On the flip side of that, I do think they should encourage McFadden to run far outside more often. He would either have success or he would at least cause defenses to spread out more possibly giving him a little more room when running inside or just off Tackle. As it is, defenses know that the Cowboys don't like to run far to the outside which makes them easier to defend, IMO.

I'm going to disagree. The gif isn't the best quality but the play looks sealed and the reach block cuts down the defender that could bust the play from the backside pursuit along the LOS.

If Randle follows the zone blocking to the outside and Beasley does just enough to occupy the DB, Collins was already at the second level and the rest of the DL was turned inside and sealed off.

His cut back was a lack of vision/discipline.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I'm going to disagree. The gif isn't the best quality but the play looks sealed and the reach block cuts down the defender that could bust the play from the backside pursuit along the LOS.

If Randle follows the zone blocking to the outside and Beasley does just enough to occupy the DB, Collins was already at the second level and the rest of the DL was turned inside and sealed off.

Well said !!!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Free does not have the DE hooked at the poa. If Randle keeps going right the DE sheds Free easily.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
just something from my day yesterday. i was in the room with someone talking to collins yesterday and the conversation was NOTHING about football. so i was just listening and giving the person a hard time (i know her) and finally she just says "hold on" and hands me her phone.

so there i am. on the phone with L.

not many times to words go "um...i could use you now" but all i could get out was the standard "go kick some giant *** man" and so on but he was very cool, very polite and unless he's lying to me - pretty damn pumped about this opportunity.

so - expect to see a few pancakes in the game courtesy of L. we asked for it, he said he'll deliver.

and yes i got a hard time for not having something more clever to say but hey - it was still cool and since i can dish it out, i gotta take it too.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
just something from my day yesterday. i was in the room with someone talking to collins yesterday and the conversation was NOTHING about football. so i was just listening and giving the person a hard time (i know her) and finally she just says "hold on" and hands me her phone.

so there i am. on the phone with L.

not many times to words go "um...i could use you now" but all i could get out was the standard "go kick some giant *** man" and so on but he was very cool, very polite and unless he's lying to me - pretty damn pumped about this opportunity.

so - expect to see a few pancakes in the game courtesy of L. we asked for it, he said he'll deliver.

and yes i got a hard time for not having something more clever to say but hey - it was still cool and since i can dish it out, i gotta take it too.

We Want Pancakes clap clap clap clap clap

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score

i was wondering about this myself. Is he supposed to do that? He would have created an enormous hole through the middle of the defense had he stayed on his feet.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
We Want Pancakes clap clap clap clap clap

well, we only asked for (3) and he laughed. so i stressed (3) in the first drive but that was background conversation at the time so dunno if he heard.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
That is a reach block. On a reach block the OL has to come from the backside of the defender, loop around to his front side and make the block. There are multiple reason to use a cut block in that situation. The cut block assures that the block is made in time. It is easy to end up blocking the defender in the back on reach blocks especially when the defender gets his should low which was the case on this play. On a normal block, Randle would need to decide to got left or right of Tyron's block based which side the defender will be on. With the cut block it's obvious where the defender will be with not "read" needed.

Keep in mind the primary intention of this play was to go the right of Fred's block but the defenders shifted and made it impossible to Fred to make that block. If the run had gone right of Fred then the cut block by Tyron would not have been a problem.

Got it. Thanks.