All22 review Jonathan Cooper

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
He probably refused. He probably wants a shot at starting next season. Remember, the Cowboys have Collins, Leary, Free, and Green with shots at starting next year (if resigned where necessary)

Free and Leary are free agents next season. If the Cowboys do not re-sign either, this leaves a big possibility that Cooper could have a chance at starting next season. (providing Green doesn't take Free's job and Collins stays at guard replacing Leary) Of course, Collins lacks a bit between the ears and a talented smart player can easily out play a talented dimwit like Collins...that is IF he can get over his injury and mental issues.

Why do you keep calling Collins a dimwit?

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
If we're gonna move Collins to RT, I'd rather bring back Leary next year and only have a question mark at one position. Otherwise, let's roll with Collins at LG and try to find someone who can play RT. I doubt Cooper is that guy. He seems to be strictly a guard. But if he's cheap, then he's good depth. I'm sure he could find a starting position on some other O-line. He'd be the 4th best guard on this team behind Martin, Leary, Collins.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Cooper is the widget you find in the bargain bin or at the flea market that you think might fix the problem you're having around the house. Its not new or perfect, but its cheap; and it will get you through until you decide to commit to fixing things.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why do you keep calling Collins a dimwit?
I think he is jumping to a conclusion. Colliins obviously has talent but his play has been inconsistent. He didn't step in and become an instant Pro Bowler like Martin. The mistakes that Collins makes are generally mental not physical.

I have no idea if he is a dummy, but I think that the above is the reason the poster has jumped to that conclusion. There is a possibility that he is correct, but I don't think we have sufficient evidence to know.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It is odd that they signed him just for the playoffs.

I don't think there will be any big offers for him from other teams so the Cowboys could try to sign him this off-season.
I figured he would be a futures contract

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
True, but according to ESPN, Dallas will get a compensatory pick if he leaves. That alone makes it worth signing him.

Yeah we will lose either him or Leary, either way we get a compensatory pick.

Be easy to let at least one go, we still have Collins. People don't want to depend on Green, but there was a while there when we couldn't depend on Lee. Money will probably decide this subject, and with the signing alone it says alot about what they think might happen with Leary.

I'm pretty happy we got Cooper though, he has plenty of talent....heres hoping he puts it all together here.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I reviewed all of his snaps from week 16 (Chargers) and week 14 (Bengals).

Overall he looked really good. He is strong and athletic and knows how to play the position.

There are some areas where he needs polish. On pulls he shows really good speed to get to the defender but he tends to be out of control when he gets there. There were a couple of snaps where his reaction was slightly delayed but that happens to most OL on occasion.

He showed the strength and quickness to deal with defenders one on one in both pass and run blocking. He was really good about help blocking the Center and then kicking over to help the OT or vice-versa which showed both good feet and awareness.

He looked much better than I expected considering that he keeps getting cut.

I didn't focus too much on the other side of the line, but the guy they had at LG (Cooper was at RG) didn't appear to be as good a Cooper. Their other Guard is Alvin Bailey. I've reviewed him in the past when he was with Seattle and I'm not sure that he is better than Cooper.

My guess is that Cooper asked them to release him if he was not going to start in week 17.

From Cleveland's perspective, they have Alvin Bailey under contract through 2018 for 2M average. The guy that was playing LG is a rookie.

X, keep us on the mark...great add now.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Interesting, haven't heard anyone use that term regarding him and I can't think of anything he has done since he has been here that would warrant that.

His play (not to mention a few boneheaded things off the field)

His play in inconsistent. He tries to use his brute raw physical talent to blowup and make highlight reel plays. When committing like that comes with a high level of risk.

Last year in seven games, Collins allowed 21 QB pressures. In comparison, Martin gave up 27 pressures in 32 games over two full seasons. (3 pressures per game compared to .8 pressures per game)

Collins needs to stop trying to showboat and use his freaking noggin. He is playing like a dimwit. Use your noggin and exerciser your physical abilities by playing smart.

If Collins has the IQ, his ceiling is similar to Tyron Smith's. So far, he hasn't even shown anything remotely close to the sheer skill and physical dominance that Tyron Smith has shown. Jimmy said, don't draft dumb people. We didn't draft Collins, but he either needs to start playing smarter, or he will walk after his contract is up.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought you watched Cowboys games? If you actually watch *his* game film, you wouldn't be saying that.

I get it. He's not Zack Martin. But he's not a "dummy" out there, or a liability. He played well enough for the team to give him the job over Leary. They wouldn't do that if he was a moron. Unless they were the morons?

:huh:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I get it. He's not Zack Martin. But he's not a "dummy" out there, or a liability. He played well enough for the team to give him the job over Leary. They wouldn't do that if he was a moron. Unless they were the morons?

:huh:

Actually, yes he is. I noted in an earlier post. He makes stupid plays trying to showboat. He over-commits himself to blowing up a defender when if he had just done his job, he wouldn't have been the cause of a QB pressure or a RB being tackled when he was.

If you're not playing smart, you're playing STUPID. Collins plays STUPID a lot. (read back, in his 7 games last year, he gave up 3 QB pressures per game!)

Shuff

Reaction score
He really sucked here in Arizona. Worth seeing what he can do, who knows, should not cost much.