All22 review Jonathan Cooper

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I think he is jumping to a conclusion. Colliins obviously has talent but his play has been inconsistent. He didn't step in and become an instant Pro Bowler like Martin. The mistakes that Collins makes are generally mental not physical.

I have no idea if he is a dummy, but I think that the above is the reason the poster has jumped to that conclusion. There is a possibility that he is correct, but I don't think we have sufficient evidence to know.

He barely played this year but last year the issues he had brain farting on stunts and blitzes were hardly unique to him and typical for a rookie. bernadeau was much worse for example. I saw that outstanding guard in Oakland do the same thing his rookie year.

The issues I saw that concerned me were leverage and strength where being so tall inhibited his ability to get under DT's pads and a plain lack of strength anchoring against behemoths.

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I thought you watched Cowboys games? If you actually watch *his* game film, you wouldn't be saying that.

I watched his game film. You want to discuss specifics or you going to pretend that no one else here watches the games and make that your argument?

What specifically does he do that makes him dumb? For example I used to call Parnell dumb because he would at time stare down plays and block no one as they came at him.

Making a mistake is one thing but the vapid stare is something else. Even then Parnell was able to be extremely effective. Having TFred in there calling assignments off the snap allows for dumb players.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I watched his game film. You want to discuss specifics or you going to pretend that no one else here watches the games and make that your argument?

What specifically does he do that makes him dumb? For example I used to call Parnell dumb because he would at time stare down plays and block no one as they came at him.

Making a mistake is one thing but the vapid stare is something else. Even then Parnell was able to be extremely effective. Having TFred in there calling assignments off the snap allows for dumb players.

Frederick was a great pick, and now locked up for a great line's run...now, they get even better.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I reviewed all of his snaps from week 16 (Chargers) and week 14 (Bengals).

Overall he looked really good. He is strong and athletic and knows how to play the position.

There are some areas where he needs polish. On pulls he shows really good speed to get to the defender but he tends to be out of control when he gets there. There were a couple of snaps where his reaction was slightly delayed but that happens to most OL on occasion.

He showed the strength and quickness to deal with defenders one on one in both pass and run blocking. He was really good about help blocking the Center and then kicking over to help the OT or vice-versa which showed both good feet and awareness.

He looked much better than I expected considering that he keeps getting cut.

I didn't focus too much on the other side of the line, but the guy they had at LG (Cooper was at RG) didn't appear to be as good a Cooper. Their other Guard is Alvin Bailey. I've reviewed him in the past when he was with Seattle and I'm not sure that he is better than Cooper.

My guess is that Cooper asked them to release him if he was not going to start in week 17.

From Cleveland's perspective, they have Alvin Bailey under contract through 2018 for 2M average. The guy that was playing LG is a rookie.

The stuff about lacking control on perimeter and second level blocks is interesting but as a OG I am concerned about how he does when isoed on a mammoth DT. Green Bay and NYG have them in spades.

Does he play with good bend? How is his snap on contact? Does he have the upper body strength to hold on. Does he have the lower body strength to drive?

Without those questions answered I cannot tell if he is worth a flip or not. All I know is who he made you feel when watching him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He barely played this year but last year the issues he had brain farting on stunts and blitzes were hardly unique to him and typical for a rookie. I saw that outstanding guard in Oakland do the same thing.

The issues I saw that concerned me were leverage and strength where being so tall inhibited his ability to get under DT's pads and a plain lack of strength anchoring against behemoths.
Yes, occasionally his pad level would get too high and he would lose leverage. On the flip side he would overwhem DLinemen with his power on other snaps.

I think part of the problem is that he can get by playing with a high pad level against

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The stuff about lacking control on perimeter and second level blocks is interesting but as a OG I am concerned about how he does when isoed on a mammoth DT. Green Bay and NYG have them in spades.

Does he play with good bend? How is his snap on contact? Does he have the upper body strength to hold on. Does he have the lower body strength to drive?

Without those questions answered I cannot tell if he is worth a flip or not. All I know is who he made you feel when watching him.
I didn't write the review for you.

I said he was strong and athletic.

The review was intended to see if there were any obvious problems with him.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Yes, occasionally his pad level would get too high and he would lose leverage. On the flip side he would overwhem DLinemen with his power on other snaps.

I think part of the problem is that he can get by playing with a high pad level against

I saw somewhere he (Cooper, not Collins) might be considered at center. Coming out of NC, he reminded me of Dermontti Dawson and less like Stepnoski.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually, yes he is. I noted in an earlier post. He makes stupid plays trying to showboat. He over-commits himself to blowing up a defender when if he had just done his job, he wouldn't have been the cause of a QB pressure or a RB being tackled when he was.

If you're not playing smart, you're playing STUPID. Collins plays STUPID a lot. (read back, in his 7 games last year, he gave up 3 QB pressures per game!)

So, if he's as bad as you're claiming, why was he in the starting lineup over Ron Leary? That doesn't add up.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I didn't write the review for you.

I said he was strong and athletic.

The review was intended to see if there were any obvious problems with him.

I never said you did. I just said I didn't get much out of it beyond a romantic summation.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Actually, yes he is. I noted in an earlier post. He makes stupid plays trying to showboat. He over-commits himself to blowing up a defender when if he had just done his job, he wouldn't have been the cause of a QB pressure or a RB being tackled when he was.

If you're not playing smart, you're playing STUPID. Collins plays STUPID a lot. (read back, in his 7 games last year, he gave up 3 QB pressures per game!)

That can be reigned in and is not the same as not having the intelligence to absorb the playbook and technique. You must hate kids.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys line played better once Leary took over. Explain.

Leary's playing better than Collins was. I can admit that. And now you can answer the question I posed to you in the first place. If Collins was as bad as you're claiming he is, why was he in there at all?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I saw somewhere he might be considered at center. Coming out of NC, he reminded me of Dermontti Dawson and less like Stepnoski.
That reply was about La'el Collins.

I agree that Cooper looked like a guy that could play Center. He was the most athletic interior OLineman that I can remember seeing.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
That reply was about La'el Collins.

I agree that Cooper looked like a guy that could play Center. He was the most athletic interior OLineman that I can remember seeing.

Understood.

I think he (Cooper) would make a nice center if he can handle the mental aspect of the position.

irishline

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Of course, Collins lacks a bit between the ears and a talented smart player can easily out play a talented dimwit like Collins...that is IF he can get over his injury and mental issues.

Ryan Fitzpatrick scored at 1580 on his SAT's (20 points from perfect), graduated from Harvard School of Economics with a nearly perfect GPA, then scored the highest wonderlick score of any QB ever to take the test (48). He is widely considered one of, if not the smartest athlete in sports today. Yet he plays stupid, and does so a lot.

What I am trying to say is there is a vast difference from playing stupid football and being stupid or being a dimwit. They are not always mutually inclusive. I agree with you that he doesn't play smart a lot of times, but without knowing anything about his persona I would not say he was a dimwit.

That can be reigned in and is not the same as not having the intelligence to absorb the playbook and technique. You must hate kids.

This.

Last edited:

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up X.

Coaches must've really hated what they saw out of Looney last week.

Hoping we don't have to see Cooper at all in the playoffs.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I'm not here to educate any of you or even define the term stupid for you. That's what you *should* have went to school for. If you don't like what I say and it bothers you that much, ignore me. Otherwise shut the **** up.

As for Fuzzy I will go ahead with the definition. There is a different between Intellect and Wisdom. Without one, (Wisdom) you're stupid. Without the other (Intellect) you're ignorant. I stand by my statement. Collins is stupid. Whether he has any intellect remains to be seen.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I'm not here to educate any of you or even define the term stupid for you. That's what you *should* have went to school for. If you don't like what I say and it bothers you that much, ignore me. Otherwise shut the **** up.

As for Fuzzy I will go ahead with the definition. There is a different between Intellect and Wisdom. Without one, (Wisdom) you're stupid. Without the other (Intellect) you're ignorant. I stand by my statement. Collins is stupid. Whether he has any intellect remains to be seen.
Lol why you crying? Because you a ****? Lol

AbeBeta

Reaction score
True, but according to ESPN, Dallas will get a compensatory pick if he leaves. That alone makes it worth signing him.

That's based on the size of the deal and whether we sign fewer guys than we lose. It isn't an automatic thing.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
So Free has another year on his contract? I believe Collins signed a three year deal so they are both heading into their final season. Leary is most likely leaving this off-season. So, basically, other than our Smith, Frederick, and Martin, the other two oline spots are in flux which is to be expected. Taking a look at Cooper makes complete sense. I wonder if he would resign with us for next season if he knew he would have the opportunity to challenge Collins for the starting LG spot?