Am I the only one not having fun this season?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hockey would still love to have ya :)

I tried, picked the Blackhawks long ago because two of their players. I tried following religiously for a year but could never get into it :(

I am sure it would be different if I were raised elsewhere though.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I tried, picked the Blackhawks long ago because two of their players. I tried following religiously for a year but could never get into it :(

I am sure it would be different if I were raised elsewhere though.
Yeah, Hockey is generally a sport picked up as youth.

I have faith that Boxer will come back to a sport he once loved, and that isn't watered down like the NFL. Defense-oriented, and still hard hitting.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
For the past nine years, I've recorded every single NFL game and watched every single play... I've been to all but 2 Cowboys games... I've even traveled to a couple away games every year. For some reason, I've grown bored with the NFL, and I don't know why. Anyone else getting bored of the product?

From your post history, I'd question if you're ever having fun, 444.

Lol

I get both sides of this...

We went 15 years between 70's championships runs

Now we are fast forwarding trying To double that gap.... quick!
(21 years an counting)

dogberry

Reaction score
If I could only see goals in hockey in real time, it would be the best.

Of games I watched our sons play, indoor soccer rate higher because I could see a score.

Iago33

Reaction score
I love hard-hitting defenses. Haley could tell you this.

I hate the rules made to neuter a hard-nosed game.

PA, I adore the past times of our beloved sport. And it's horrible I only get to experience it through documentaries and such.

@Section444, apologies, brother, I thought this was a different kind of thread. I agree, the sport is too finesse these days. And it's only going to get more patty-cake.
I think the neutering of defense is a large part of it for me. But I've noticed something (with help from another poster who mentioned ed this). When a big play happens, I don't get excited. I expect a penalty flag or a replay to reverse it. Hard to get excited when there are constant buzzkills.

Does anyone have statistics for overall penalties called by decade?

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Until I retired a couple if years ago, I spent most of my working life outside the US. Rarely did I have an opportunity to watch a live football game. I followed the NFL and other sports through fan forums like the CowboyZone, print media, etc.

Have to admit that since retiring and returning to the states, TV in general and sports television in particular, just doesn't hold the "must see" fascination it once did.

It's probably a combination of a lot of factors that my interest has waned. I will say, though, that I still follow the Cowboys faithfully.

Now, if you want an interesting sport, try Australian Rules Football. Fast-paced, high scoring, constant action - combines the best features of rugby, soccer and a riot in one game.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
My passion for the NFL has significantly lessened, probably in part because of responsibilities. I don't have the time to invest I once did. But there is more to the story.

I'm tired of holding my breath following nearly every great play to see if there is a flag, or worse, if video review will reverse. I'm tired of learning that for the first 55 years or so of my life I apparently had no idea how to tell whether a pass had been caught. I'm tired of seeing the catch rule and other rules interpreted differently depending on the day of the week or whether the moon is in its 7th hour.

I'm tired of poor execution. The athletes are better than ever -- bigger, stronger, faster. But free agency and new rules regarding practice have led to sloppy play.

Free agency has robbed the game of some of its romance. And I surely think players should have the right to be free agents. This one isn't a question of right or wrong. But a lot of us old guys miss the days when players were Cowboys for most of their careers, and when you could name the offensive and defensive lineups without bothering to look at a roster. When it was Lilly and Cole and Andrie and Pugh and Howley and Edwards and Jordan and on and on... I miss those days, though I understand conditions weren't fair to the players.

I will admit I miss the big hits. Again I understand the concussion issue and the need for safer play, particularly as the players get faster, bigger and stronger. But I miss the big hits.

I deplore the political intrusion. I follow political issues quite closely and have my personal philosophy and opinions. But I watch the NFL in part because I am looking for pure entertainment and respite from 24/7 political and social controversy. This is complicated. I understand that players have the right express themselves, but the infusion of politics has lessened my enthusiasm because it has eliminated the respite.

I abhor the system of player discipline and how it has materially affected competitive balance -- often when players have no fair hearing.

I miss reading interesting articles about the games, strategy, etc. I tire of reading articles about salaries, player discipline issues, politics, etc. I don't think the quality of modern sportswriting is good at all, and I love quality sportswriting.

I dislike the NFL machine, which I think has become more perverse and expansive since Goodell became commissioner. I tire of the non-stop PR machine. I wish the NFL could be just slightly humble now and then.

I don't care for the game as I once did. Perhaps the NFL doesn't give a hoot. Surely my dollars and time are insignificant. And I don't claim to speak for anyone else. But it saddens me. I grew up in Texas -- loved to play, loved to watch, loved to read -- loved the game.

But as the old song goes -- that was yesterday, and yesterday's gone.

John813

Reaction score
I've slowly become less invested in games. Not due to anything with kneeling or refs etc.
Still post on forums(obviously), keep up with offseason events but it's just not that important to me anymore in terms of dedicating 3-4 hours on Sunday/Monday to watch a game.
Maybe it's just rebalancing life, work and relaxation.

Think I watched 5 minutes of (live)preseason this year.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Yeah, Hockey is generally a sport picked up as youth.

I have faith that Boxer will come back to a sport he once loved, and that isn't watered down like the NFL. Defense-oriented, and still hard hitting.

Maybe in the playoffs to some extent. There is no question though, the NHL has been pussified almost as much as the NFL. For some context, I grew up on the big bad Bruins of the 70's.

The NFL? Count me as another who is hanging on by a thread.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Maybe in the playoffs to some extent. There is no question though, the NHL has been pussified almost as much as the NFL. For some context, I grew up on the big bad Bruins of the 70's.

The NFL? Count me as another who is hanging on by a thread.
Well, it's certainly not as crazy as it was in the 70's. But hockey has transitioned into a physical, suffocating, defensive game. I'm sure you'd agree (of course, goalie equipment and a clogging-the-shooting-lane scheme have also contributed, but still).

It went from offense-centric playstyles in the 70's and the Great One's '80's, to a defense-dominated current game. It was more pugilistic in said eras, but not nearly as hard hitting and defense-oriented. I'm sorry, I can't agree with you there if you disagree.

I love hockey, V. I love the current game. It doesn't hurt that my team has two Cups since 2012 :)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love it. And the anthem protests aren't going to take of my enjoyment out of the game. They're intended to get an emotional reaction from people. I'm just tuning in for the football.

Having referees impact games as much as they do is annoying and does take some of the fun out of things. Especially because the outlier calls are inconsistent. Having the commissioner getting over involved in player conduct is a massive distraction from the product.

Aside from that, just give me uninterrupted football for 20 weeks or so each year, and I'm happy.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I love it. And the anthem protests aren't going to take of my enjoyment out of the game. They're intended to get an emotional reaction from people. I'm just tuning in for the football.

Having referees impact games as much as they do is annoying and does take some of the fun out of things. Especially because the outlier calls are inconsistent. Having the commissioner getting over involved in player conduct is a massive distraction from the product.

Aside from that, just give me uninterrupted football for 20 weeks or so each year, and I'm happy.
Woot on the 20 weeks! Especially if it's our Boys! We're due a nice 20 week schedule :)

Great post, brother.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Well, it's certainly not as crazy as it was in the 70's. But hockey has transitioned into a physical, suffocating, defensive game. I'm sure you'd agree.

I went from offense-centric playstyles in the 70's and the Great One's '80's, to a defense-dominated current game.

I love hockey, V. I love the current game. It doesn't hurt that my team has two Cups since 2012 :)

Well my friend, I would respectfully argue that. Like the NFL the powers that be in the NHL have worked to create a more offensive style game for the last 20 years at least. Removing the center line, cracking down on any sort of interference, more room behind the net and limiting how much the goaltender can play the puck. The regular season is a track meet now compared to the 70's, 80's and early 90's. It really began with Mario Lemieux and his constant whining and diving in the mid 90's. Also the Devils and their trap game. Hell, Scott Stevens would be run out of today's NHL playing the same style that was lauded in the 90's. (an NFL comparison might be Steve Atwater) Teams like the Caps and some versions of the Penguins epitomize this. Continually among the best teams to come out of the regular season only to be sent home early when the officials "let them play" in the playoffs.

I'm sure you've heard of John Leclair? (he is a hometown boy btw) He had himself a record breaking career built predominately on the fact that he was big enough and tough enough to stand in front of the net and take the pounding one needed to take to occupy that space, back then. In today's game you can barely even touch that guy trying to screen your goalie and almost anyone can play that role.

I do agree with you that all said and done, in the playoffs, defense and goaltending win the series. Not so much in the regular season though.

FWIW, in my hardcore hockey fan circles, this same question raised in the OP comes up all the time. For many of the same reasons.

Good luck to your KIngs this year my friend!