Am I the only one not having fun this season?

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Well my friend, I would respectfully argue that. Like the NFL the powers that be in the NHL have worked to create a more offensive style game for the last 20 years at least. Removing the center line, cracking down on any sort of interference, more room behind the net and limiting how much the goaltender can play the puck. The regular season is a track meet now compared to the 70's, 80's and early 90's. It really began with Mario Lemieux and his constant whining and diving in the mid 90's. Also the Devils and their trap game. Hell, Scott Stevens would be run out of today's NHL playing the same style that was lauded in the 90's. (an NFL comparison might be Steve Atwater) Teams like the Caps and some versions of the Penguins epitomize this. Continually among the best teams to come out of the regular season only to be sent home early when the officials "let them play" in the playoffs.

I'm sure you've heard of John Leclair? (he is a hometown boy btw) He had himself a record breaking career built predominately on the fact that he was big enough and tough enough to stand in front of the net and take the pounding one needed to take to occupy that space, back then. In today's game you can barely even touch that guy trying to screen your goalie and almost anyone can play that role.

I do agree with you that all said and done, in the playoffs, defense and goaltending win the series. Not so much in the regular season though.

FWIW, in my hardcore hockey fan circles, this same question raised in the OP comes up all the time. For many of the same reasons.

Good luck to your KIngs this year my friend!
Thanks, V. We're not looking too good right now, and there's rumblings of Doughty leaving in 18-19.

We still played that trap game, Zone-board game in the 2010's, it was Sutters M.O.

I further edited the post you replied to, just to make it more clear and defined. And of course I know Leclair. Thought he and Lindros would rule the league for a decade. Poor Lindros, man.

And yeah, over on my hockey board (HF), these questions come up a lot there, as well. Usually by fans of losing franchises :)

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
But, posting history aside, just doesn't feel like a lot of fun this year. I'm not even talking about the Cowboys, just the NFL in general.

Yea, I make the comment at least twice a game about how it is becoming unwatchable. It is still the best sport with the chess match/strategy, all players playing a role, and the athleticism. But the game now has removed most knee-jerk emotion because every play, you are looking for a flag or a replay/challenge. Then you see the inconsistencies and it just gets too much.

Mix in that with a league continues to make **** up as they go along to pander to whatever whim of the day and it it begins to mount up. I used to watch every game and know teams inside and out and bet heavily. I pulled back because 1) time and family and 2) the game has gotten much more subjective in determining the outcome. I dont think "the fix is in", but the chuck and prayer PIs are so inconsistent they really flip the game.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I think there are a lot of us. The thrill of the NFL is dead for many. I can't watch any games unless Dallas is playing and if they allow players to kneel or sit, I'm done watching them to until all of this foolishness is over.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My passion for the NFL has significantly lessened, probably in part because of responsibilities. I don't have the time to invest I once did. But there is more to the story.

I'm tired of holding my breath following nearly every great play to see if there is a flag, or worse, if video review will reverse. I'm tired of learning that for the first 55 years or so of my life I apparently had no idea how to tell whether a pass had been caught. I'm tired of seeing the catch rule and other rules interpreted differently depending on the day of the week or whether the moon is in its 7th hour.

I'm tired of poor execution. The athletes are better than ever -- bigger, stronger, faster. But free agency and new rules regarding practice have led to sloppy play.

Free agency has robbed the game of some of its romance. And I surely think players should have the right to be free agents. This one isn't a question of right or wrong. But a lot of us old guys miss the days when players were Cowboys for most of their careers, and when you could name the offensive and defensive lineups without bothering to look at a roster. When it was Lilly and Cole and Andrie and Pugh and Howley and Edwards and Jordan and on and on... I miss those days, though I understand conditions weren't fair to the players.

I will admit I miss the big hits. Again I understand the concussion issue and the need for safer play, particularly as the players get faster, bigger and stronger. But I miss the big hits.

I deplore the political intrusion. I follow political issues quite closely and have my personal philosophy and opinions. But I watch the NFL in part because I am looking for pure entertainment and respite from 24/7 political and social controversy. This is complicated. I understand that players have the right express themselves, but the infusion of politics has lessened my enthusiasm because it has eliminated the respite.

I abhor the system of player discipline and how it has materially affected competitive balance -- often when players have no fair hearing.

I miss reading interesting articles about the games, strategy, etc. I tire of reading articles about salaries, player discipline issues, politics, etc. I don't think the quality of modern sportswriting is good at all, and I love quality sportswriting.

I dislike the NFL machine, which I think has become more perverse and expansive since Goodell became commissioner. I tire of the non-stop PR machine. I wish the NFL could be just slightly humble now and then.

I don't care for the game as I once did. Perhaps the NFL doesn't give a hoot. Surely my dollars and time are insignificant. And I don't claim to speak for anyone else. But it saddens me. I grew up in Texas -- loved to play, loved to watch, loved to read -- loved the game.

But as the old song goes -- that was yesterday, and yesterday's gone.
Great post! :clap:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
For the past nine years, I've recorded every single NFL game and watched every single play... I've been to all but 2 Cowboys games... I've even traveled to a couple away games every year. For some reason, I've grown bored with the NFL, and I don't know why. Anyone else getting bored of the product?
I'm bored with the product because of Goodell's decisions and no control of the NFL. Zeke gets 6 games while Rice got 2 for punching his fiance'. When Kaepernick took a knee, he should of been fined right there & then just as the player's get fined for celebration. Had he done so, this wouldn't of gotten out of hand/control. Goodell makes me sick and he is the ONLY one to blame for what's currently happening in the NFL. Seats are already empty, it's only the beginning.

Etchyboy

Reaction score
For the past nine years, I've recorded every single NFL game and watched every single play... I've been to all but 2 Cowboys games... I've even traveled to a couple away games every year. For some reason, I've grown bored with the NFL, and I don't know why. Anyone else getting bored of the product?

You know what I feel the same way. I have no idea why but I have a really low interest in this season.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Could it be that it's because Tony isn't the quarterback anymore? For the whole nine year. Tony was the quarterback and now you're gone Jack is a good quarterback but it's not quite the same as when Tony was playing. Then factor in the political nonsense the Elliot stuff the Giants not being that good and these first two games were boring and I can see where someone would lose interest I have a little myself it's just not the same as it used to be

haleyrules

Reaction score
My passion for the NFL has significantly lessened, probably in part because of responsibilities. I don't have the time to invest I once did. But there is more to the story.

I'm tired of holding my breath following nearly every great play to see if there is a flag, or worse, if video review will reverse. I'm tired of learning that for the first 55 years or so of my life I apparently had no idea how to tell whether a pass had been caught. I'm tired of seeing the catch rule and other rules interpreted differently depending on the day of the week or whether the moon is in its 7th hour.

I'm tired of poor execution. The athletes are better than ever -- bigger, stronger, faster. But free agency and new rules regarding practice have led to sloppy play.

Free agency has robbed the game of some of its romance. And I surely think players should have the right to be free agents. This one isn't a question of right or wrong. But a lot of us old guys miss the days when players were Cowboys for most of their careers, and when you could name the offensive and defensive lineups without bothering to look at a roster. When it was Lilly and Cole and Andrie and Pugh and Howley and Edwards and Jordan and on and on... I miss those days, though I understand conditions weren't fair to the players.

I will admit I miss the big hits. Again I understand the concussion issue and the need for safer play, particularly as the players get faster, bigger and stronger. But I miss the big hits.

I deplore the political intrusion. I follow political issues quite closely and have my personal philosophy and opinions. But I watch the NFL in part because I am looking for pure entertainment and respite from 24/7 political and social controversy. This is complicated. I understand that players have the right express themselves, but the infusion of politics has lessened my enthusiasm because it has eliminated the respite.

I abhor the system of player discipline and how it has materially affected competitive balance -- often when players have no fair hearing.

I miss reading interesting articles about the games, strategy, etc. I tire of reading articles about salaries, player discipline issues, politics, etc. I don't think the quality of modern sportswriting is good at all, and I love quality sportswriting.

I dislike the NFL machine, which I think has become more perverse and expansive since Goodell became commissioner. I tire of the non-stop PR machine. I wish the NFL could be just slightly humble now and then.

I don't care for the game as I once did. Perhaps the NFL doesn't give a hoot. Surely my dollars and time are insignificant. And I don't claim to speak for anyone else. But it saddens me. I grew up in Texas -- loved to play, loved to watch, loved to read -- loved the game.

But as the old song goes -- that was yesterday, and yesterday's gone.
Nice post. Very accurate.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I'm not generally much for politics, but the protests are starting to get a little annoying. You can't go five minutes in a game without hearing about it.

Edit: the coverage of the protests is starting to get annoying.
It's the coverage, 444. They're stoking the damned fire.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I forgot the rule changes this whole process of the catch and every year they change rules are enforced rules of different way now we have the 33-yard extra-point kick which I'm already a little tired of and now they're changing over time to 10 minutes.
it's the constant changes instead of having a constantly similar product which they should have instead of changing something every year it ought to be consistent.
I also don't like the changing uniforms are so ugly now the helmets are all changing and teams moving to different cities kind of the affects the appeal of the game

toto1939

Reaction score
You know what I feel the same way. I have no idea why but I have a really low interest in this season.
For me, it has something to do with...score TD, take commercial break, kick extra point, take commercial break, do kickoff return, take commercial break, etc...