Am I wrong about Hurts?

Swagger

Reaction score
Because it was a terrible point. Look at Josh Allen’s year 2 to year 3 numbers. This is Hurts second year as a full time starter. People act like he played 10 years and didn’t change his mechanics under Tom house this off season, just like Allen did after year 2 with Jordan Palmer. Allen had 52% completion percentage his first year. I am almost sure it was bellow 60% year 2. Year 3 he made his move. People that work at their craft can improve. Hurts been very consistent all year long.
True plus the Eagles were badly banged up last season and made quality acquisitions like AJ Brown.
Hurts is in line for MVP so people can claim he's Tim Tebow to make themselves feel better.

DZSierra

Reaction score
so you’re saying Dak has no help?

No not at all, Dallas has a darn good team this year.

The question is if all the pieces are in place to help Dak reach his full potential?

Tony Romo was 2-4 in the playoffs. Was Romo a bad QB? I don't think so.

Someone here mentioned in another thread recently that Jerry made a deal with the devil back in the 90's to win. I disagree with that statement. I think Jerry is the Devil himself as he puts his pride before what the team can do as a team, and his pride gets in the way. Jerry could of had a dynasty in the 90's if his pride just would have let him be a back seat driver IMO.

Thing is, in all reality Eagles could win out the season, lose in the first playoff game they have, and next year Hurts becomes a bust. Given the odds of how it appears the front offices of some teams work, I don't think that will happen in Philly (given how quick they recouped from the Wentz fiasco), but with Dallas, who the heck knows how they actually strategize their team together to become better?

Got to remember, Tom Brady was 144 in the draft.

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score
Lol. You are hysterical.

Hurts passer rating thru 12 games is over 108. Dak’s best passer rating for a season is 104.9.

you act like he is an 8 year vet … He had a mediocre year 1 as a starter in a new system. He might be, after today, the MVP favourite.

I encourage you to expand your QB evaluation toolbox outside or just pass rating. A lot of great data out there.

DZSierra

Reaction score
I encourage you to expand your QB evaluation toolbox outside or just pass rating. A lot of great data out there.

May I ask what "evaluation toolbox" you are using?

Currently per pretty much all the "tool box" rankings I've seen, Hurts is one of the top 4 QB's in the NFL right now per his stats and we are now in week 12 of the year. Reality is he's substantially better than his previous year.

I think part of the issue is no one saw this coming, to when he was drafted and what he did last year. But it's here. The question is, can he still get better and win from here on out and going into next year.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The OL that Philly sports is a tough bunch to deal with. They could make most any QB look like a GOAT, or something along those lines. Let's see if our "D" can overcome them! Should be an interesting matchup. :flagwave:

OTOH, we're sporting an OL that has been resurrected, corrected and re-created through and through. Our defense is capable of beating any offense on a good day. Just sit tight, folks. Take some popcorn along . . . :grin:

Last edited:

nobody

Reaction score
The OL that Philly sports is a tough bunch to deal with. They could make most any QB look like a GOAT, or something along those lines. :omg:

OTOH, we're sporting an OL that has been resurrected, corrected and re-created through and through. Let's see if our "D" can overcome them.

Good O-line or not, Hurts is starting to look like the real deal. His stats this year are stellar. Let's hope our D can feast on Philly's Offense.

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score
May I ask what "evaluation toolbox" you are using?

Currently per pretty much all the "tool box" rankings I've seen, Hurts is one of the top 4 QB's in the NFL right now per his stats and we are now in week 12 of the year. Reality is he's substantially better than his previous year.

I think part of the issue is no one saw this coming, to when he was drafted and what he did last year. But it's here. The question is, can he still get better and win from here on out and going into next year.

You bet. I look like to look collectively across a variety of metrics to see if a player is regularly showing up in the top 10.

EPA / Play
CPOE
Air Yards / Attempt
QB Rating (both versions)
Tuddies

And yes, I agree Hurtz is having a great year. My point prior was the last 2 seasons he was well below average in some of the mentioned metrics.

DZSierra

Reaction score
My point prior was the last 2 seasons he was well below average in some of the mentioned metrics.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but no crap. I believe we ALL knew that.

The guys full first year as a starter was last year. Exactly what was anyone expecting from a guy picked in the second round as a QB????

cnuball21

Reaction score
Please don't take this the wrong way, but no crap. I believe we ALL knew that.

The guys full first year as a starter was last year. Exactly what was anyone expecting from a guy picked in the second round as a QB????

I wish our fans held the same expectations for Dak when he was a rookie lol...scoring 30 points against GB in the playoffs wasn't good enough for some fans.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Good O-line or not, Hurts is starting to look like the real deal. His stats this year are stellar. Let's hope our D can feast on Philly's Offense.

True stuff . . . there's no denying that we'll be obliged to play the best game we've put forth this season to beat 'em. Their FO has gone bonkers to install some talent that's second to nobody else. I'm planning on sitting back and doing my level best to enjoy an extremely challenging contest. Go, Cowboys!

DZSierra

Reaction score
I wish our fans held the same expectations for Dak when he was a rookie lol...scoring 30 points against GB in the playoffs wasn't good enough for some fans.

Some people here may not like me saying this, but I see a lot of cowboys fans no different than a lot of other "over zealous" fans.

After a team blowout for a win or either a loss, either they will be the next super-bowl champs because there is no way they could lose to a "inferior" team record wise, or the team and players are utter trash.

I do consider myself a cowboys fan now (I wasn't always in the past), but watching the game day threads here are kind of hilarious. I'd save any negative comments until after the final score, but as someone mentioned here when that topic was brought up, what's the fun in that? LOL

Personally, I don't understand the love hate here with Dak. Although he is the QB, it's not all on him, although at the end of the day, for better or worse, generally you can have good stats as a QB during the year, but those stats are shadowed by your playoff record and if you can get to the big game.

Thing is, it all comes down to the front office IMO. From what I've seen and observed over the years with the Cowboys, I'd be pissed more at Jerry than anyone else since he does want the attention. Guy just doesn't know when to keep his trap shut and let his guys work for him IMO, and if they aren't working for him, find someone else who can. A family business can be successful but it can also be very dysfunctional because family is involved. Give Jerry credit though, one of the most successful brand names in football without winning a superbowl in over 20 years. One could argue he's doing something right...

Last edited:

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Hurtz is getting more confident with each game. And that college style offense that Philly runs is simply hard to stop, because you always have to account for Hurtz running the ball too, and of course all the play action routes that come from those pistol and shotgun plays. The Cowboys aren't disciplined enough to stop the Eagles either, as they're still often out of place at the LOS.

I believe the Eagles will be a tough out in the playoffs, because they're O-line is good, their playcalling is not predictable, and their defensive line is damn good at rushing the passer with just 4. The Cowboys can't catch them, so the Cowboys will have to win a bunch of road games to get to the Superbowl...and with all these slow Cowboy starts, I just don't see it. A slow start, on the road, in the playoffs...it spells doom for the Cowboys. Not enough urgency from the first snap to win multiple playoff games in a row on the road.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
Lol. Dude you are so biased it’s amusing.

Yards per attempt. 2nd
Interception %. 2nd
QB rating. 3rd
QBR. 4th
Completion %. Tied for 4th
Completion % passes thrown >25 yes downfield. 1st

yea he sucks

Swagger

Reaction score
Prescott walked into a completely different team. The Cowboys offense was loaded whereas the Eagles had a banged up o line and many other players injured last season. Hurts did really well to help the team make the play offs yet people focus on his play off performance when matched up against a far superior team. People bang on about how amazing Prescott was against the Packers in the play off game yet fail to mention the offense failing untill well into the 2nd quarter and then coming back against prevent defense and one of the worst secondaries in the history of the play offs. Lorry drivers trying to cover Dez...yet when Prescott had the opportunity to win the game with a TD he could only facilitate a field goal and failed to manage the clock to take the game to OT. There wouldn't be such scrutiny on him if he wasn't a rookie and the Cowboys didn't have a Vet All Pro QB holding the clip board.

The two teams cannot be compared.

It's like people moaning about Josh Allen in his early days compared with the past few seasons. He had a horrible o line and whist it has become more serviceable it still isn't elite and his #2 was Beasley for a good while. They trader for a proper #1 WR in Diggs and some people begrudge him playing well and saying it's only because of Diggs. So another QB isn't allowed a decent receiver whilst Prescott has had Dez, Cooper, Lamb, Gallup, Witten, Schultz, Pollard and in comparison with pretty much any other QB a loaded offensive line over the 7 years.

This is why people have such high expectations for Prescott. The NFC is there for the taking especially now with Jimmy G out for the season but if the Cowboys lose to the Bucs in the divisional round then wow what a waste of another season with another loaded team...it must be the coaching or the wet ball or the wind or the penalties or...

Reaction score
Hopefully we can hold them in check and outscore them, but unrealistic to think that we feast on them.

Reaction score
Hurtz is getting more confident with each game. And that college style offense that Philly runs is simply hard to stop, because you always have to account for Hurtz running the ball too, and of course all the play action routes that come from those pistol and shotgun plays. The Cowboys aren't disciplined enough to stop the Eagles either, as they're still often out of place at the LOS.

I believe the Eagles will be a tough out in the playoffs, because they're O-line is good, their playcalling is not predictable, and their defensive line is damn good at rushing the passer with just 4. The Cowboys can't catch them, so the Cowboys will have to win a bunch of road games to get to the Superbowl...and with all these slow Cowboy starts, I just don't see it. A slow start, on the road, in the playoffs...it spells doom for the Cowboys. Not enough urgency from the first snap to win multiple playoff games in a row on the road.

Agree 100% that their slow starts need to be corrected for the playoffs. Every team needs to play 60 minutes to win then.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Some people here may not like me saying this, but I see a lot of cowboys fans no different than a lot of other "over zealous" fans.

After a team blowout for a win or either a loss, either they will be the next super-bowl champs because there is no way they could lose to a "inferior" team record wise, or the team and players are utter trash.

I do consider myself a cowboys fan now (I wasn't always in the past), but watching the game day threads here are kind of hilarious. I'd save any negative comments until after the final score, but as someone mentioned here when that topic was brought up, what's the fun in that? LOL

Personally, I don't understand the love hate here with Dak. Although he is the QB, it's not all on him, although at the end of the day, for better or worse, generally you can have good stats as a QB during the year, but those stats are shadowed by your playoff record and if you can get to the big game.

Thing is, it all comes down to the front office IMO. From what I've seen and observed over the years with the Cowboys, I'd be pissed more at Jerry than anyone else since he does want the attention. Guy just doesn't know when to keep his trap shut and let his guys work for him IMO, and if they aren't working for him, find someone else who can. A family business can be successful but it can also be very dysfunctional because family is involved. Give Jerry credit though, one of the most successful brand names in football without winning a superbowl in over 20 years. One could argue he's doing something right...

There are some good posters on here, but a lot that are absolutely absurd and that just don’t
understand football.

And yea, the Jones are the main culprit.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Lol. Dude you are so biased it’s amusing.

Yards per attempt. 2nd
Interception %. 2nd
QB rating. 3rd
QBR. 4th
Completion %. Tied for 4th
Completion % passes thrown >25 yes downfield. 1st

yea he sucks

Again, having a great year this year. Never indicated otherwise. Not sure how that’s bias.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hurts plays for the Eagles and will never be judged by many here fairly.

He has worked really hard on his game and improved from last season.

It is really funny to see some discount him because of the team around him. Wonder what the think about Starr, Bradshaw, Montana, Aikman and Brady?

cnuball21

Reaction score
Prescott walked into a completely different team. The Cowboys offense was loaded whereas the Eagles had a banged up o line and many other players injured last season. Hurts did really well to help the team make the play offs yet people focus on his play off performance when matched up against a far superior team. People bang on about how amazing Prescott was against the Packers in the play off game yet fail to mention the offense failing untill well into the 2nd quarter and then coming back against prevent defense and one of the worst secondaries in the history of the play offs. Lorry drivers trying to cover Dez...yet when Prescott had the opportunity to win the game with a TD he could only facilitate a field goal and failed to manage the clock to take the game to OT. There wouldn't be such scrutiny on him if he wasn't a rookie and the Cowboys didn't have a Vet All Pro QB holding the clip board.

The two teams cannot be compared.

It's like people moaning about Josh Allen in his early days compared with the past few seasons. He had a horrible o line and whist it has become more serviceable it still isn't elite and his #2 was Beasley for a good while. They trader for a proper #1 WR in Diggs and some people begrudge him playing well and saying it's only because of Diggs. So another QB isn't allowed a decent receiver whilst Prescott has had Dez, Cooper, Lamb, Gallup, Witten, Schultz, Pollard and in comparison with pretty much any other QB a loaded offensive line over the 7 years.

This is why people have such high expectations for Prescott. The NFC is there for the taking especially now with Jimmy G out for the season but if the Cowboys lose to the Bucs in the divisional round then wow what a waste of another season with another loaded team...it must be the coaching or the wet ball or the wind or the penalties or...

Absolutely. The problem is the Cowboys offense Daks rookie year might’ve been one of the best offenses he’s been on outside of last year when he got hurt.

And of course the Bills and Eagles did right by surrounding their young QBs with talent. That’s how you win. Most fans don’t understand and appreciate how much FA activity both the Bills / Eagles have done to help their QBs. Sure wish we’d do the same.

Meanwhile we did nothing to address swing OT in the offseason knowing Tyron has injury concerns and let our best WR walk last year and did practically nothing to replace him.