Amari Cooper - All time Cowboys MVP?

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I wouldn't use the word "mvp" but yeah, it's hard to recall a single player ever turning this team from bottom 5 to playoffs within a couple weeks. Remarkable impact he's had.

irishline

Reaction score
Unfavorable results in the playoffs won’t detract from the greatest trade in Cowboys history to save a team and season from certain collapse.

Again, Herschel Walker (trade) says hello.

That trade got us picks we used on Emmitt Smith, Russell Maryland, Kevin Smith, Darren Woodson...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Then tell me when another player has made such an impact resurrecting a Cowboy team spirally down then this type of surge to the playoffs.

Let's be honest with ourselves......this team sucked but it was underachieving. They should've beaten the Seahawks, Panthers and Texans. Those were tough road games but if their offense gave them ANYTHING they should've won. Cooper has helped us win games we are suppose to win. Let's don't pretend like now we are beating juggernauts. We did beat the Saints which was a great win but that was more product of the defense than Cooper.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
2016 was good, 2014 was good, 2007 was good.....this roster is just as comparable to them.......this "best roster" is nonsense to justify why Romo didn't do more with what he had. This team is flawed just like those teams are flawed. And we are flawed at quarterback just like we were then except this time around our quarterback has a knack for showing up in the 4th quarter of games.
This is the best team this era less a top 5-10 QB.

Those teams didn’t have this elite of defense. Only the 2014 team had a league leading rusher.

This teams biggest weakness was QB and WR. Less WR now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Let's be honest with ourselves......this team sucked but it was underachieving. They should've beaten the Seahawks, Panthers and Texans. Those were tough road games but if their offense gave them ANYTHING they should've won. Cooper has helped us win games we are suppose to win. Let's don't pretend like now we are beating juggernauts. We did beat the Saints which was a great win but that was more product of the defense than Cooper.
That’s mere speculative analysis on your part. There’s no evidence we were underachieving. This wasn’t a playoff team last year. The fact was we weren’t winning (3-5) and headed to a certain collapse is all the evidence we need.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is the best team this era less a top 5-10 QB.

Those teams didn’t have this elite of defense. Only the 2014 team had a league leading rusher.

This teams biggest weakness was QB and WR. Less WR now.
This defense isn't elite yet though lol. And if Romo was a top 5 QB then he didn't need a "elite defense". Especially if the offense was putting up 30 a game. You can't put up 30 a game and have a "elite defense". You guys are changing the narrative to protect the ghost of Romo but Romo had some teams that were good enough to win a ring. He had some STACKED teams. There was one year he had 13 Pro Bowlers lol.

Flozell Adams T
Marion Barber RB
Leonard Davis G
Greg Ellis LB
Nick Folk K
Andre Gurode C
Ken Hamlin FS
Terence Newman CB
Terrell Owens WR
Tony Romo QB
DeMarcus Ware LB
Roy Williams SS
Jason Witten

That team wasn't stacked? Alright lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That’s mere speculative analysis on your part. There’s no evidence we were underachieving. This wasn’t a playoff team last year. The fact was we weren’t winning (3-5) and headed to a certain collapse is all the evidence we need.

When you lose by 3 points or less every week? You are good enough to compete with these teams but bad enough not to win them? That's underachieving. Especially when you are in games despite your offense sucking. This team won 9 games when ZEke missed 6 games.......am I to believe that with ZEke they wouldn't have won one or two more games and been in the playoffs?

waldoputty

Reaction score
I know he won’t win league MVP especially with only half a season here but I don’t know a player in Cowboys history who almost single handidly saved a season propelling them from an almost certain collapse into divisional champ and potential Super Bowl contender.

Yes, Roger in 1971 propelled us but that was a defending NFC champion team.

In 1992 Haley was a huge trade but that was a playoff team on the way up.

Even in 1993 when Emmitt missed the first two games of the season that was still the defending champs. I certainly don’t believe that team would have gone 0-16 without Emmitt.

And in 1995 with Deion. Again that was a championship caliber team that needed a little boost. I still think that team could have won it without Sanders.

But this situation with Coooer is unlike any I can recall in Cowboys history.

We were on the cusp of a major collapse . We already were predicting Linehan wouldn’t survive the next game and Garrett finally was all but gone at the end of the season if he could even survive it.

This team was spirally down faster than we’d seen since 1-7 in 2010. Most were saying we wouldn’t win another game. I’m not even sure if Dak had much hope for a new contract if we finished 3-13. Until Jerry pulled the trigger for the most successful trade in Cowboys history. Yea, I said it.

i will support ur point in this way.
cooper may be the most talent player in cowboys history across all positions.
speed - 4.35 40 (articles corrected his combine speed from 4.4)
size - 6'1" 212 lbs
skill - incredible route running, very good hands
his separation stats support his skill and speed measureables.

his weakness is high jump (slightly less than average) so he is not a high-point dez-type.
10 yard is only above average but the route running makes him a short route threat.

on that basis, he is more talented than emmitt and probably even zeke.
it is hard to compare qbs, but i would guess you would need an aikman-like arm with 4.5 speed (aikman was actually 4.7). it is kind of hard to compare with larry allen.

wr-wise, wr with 'more' talent would be megatron (4.3 speed at 6'5" and incredible high jump), randy moss (4.2 speed at 6'4" and incredible high jump)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hershel or the Haley deals. Both resulted in Super Bowl WINS.
Yes but the Cowboys were already a playoff team when they acquired Haley. He just helped put them over the top.

And the Hershel trade took a couple years to deliver. It wasn’t an immediate impact.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When you lose by 3 points or less every week? You are good enough to compete with these teams but bad enough not to win them? That's underachieving. Especially when you are in games despite your offense sucking. This team won 9 games when ZEke missed 6 games.......am I to believe that with ZEke they wouldn't have won one or two more games and been in the playoffs?
So, before the trade with a losing record you predicted the Cowboys were going to instantly turn it around and win the division?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then tell me when another player has made such an impact resurrecting a Cowboy team spirally down then this type of surge to the playoffs.

I get your point. He's definetely made a difference, but the offense still hasn't been that good overall. The defense and its improvement as the season has gone on is what is carrying this team. Cooper didn't hold New Orleans to 10 points.

If he leads us to a super bowl, then I think you could consider this again.

pansophy

Reaction score
I know he won’t win league MVP especially with only half a season here but I don’t know a player in Cowboys history who almost single handidly saved a season propelling them from an almost certain collapse into divisional champ and potential Super Bowl contender.

Even in 1993 when Emmitt missed the first two games of the season that was still the defending champs. I certainly don’t believe that team would have gone 0-16 without Emmitt.

And in 1995 with Deion. Again that was a championship caliber team that needed a little boost. I still think that team could have won it without Sanders.

We were on the cusp of a major collapse . We already were predicting Linehan wouldn’t survive the next game and Garrett finally was all but gone at the end of the season if he could even survive it.

This team was spirally down faster than we’d seen since 1-7 in 2010. Most were saying we wouldn’t win another game. I’m not even sure if Dak had much hope for a new contract if we finished 3-13. Until Jerry pulled the trigger for the most successful trade in Cowboys history. Yea, I said it.
If we win the super bowl this year, then yes.

DFWJC

Reaction score

In the conversation for 2018 half season on offense only
So maybe top 70? :)
Anyway, remove Zeke and get your answer on offense.
Down goes the run game and here come the double teams on Cooper.
Not even close.

Last edited:

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score

I’ll agree with you if the team makes it to the Super Bowl. Otherwise the others names you mentioned still had a bigger impact - Haley, Roger, and Deion.

DFWJC

Reaction score
2016 was good, 2014 was good, 2007 was good.....this roster is just as comparable to them.......this "best roster" is nonsense to justify why Romo didn't do more with what he had. This team is flawed just like those teams are flawed. And we are flawed at quarterback just like we were then except this time around our quarterback has a knack for showing up in the 4th quarter of games.
Yep. Hard to compare teams going back a decade...'07 was a nice all-around roster. Far better than 2016 or 2014.
I'd say that because of the defense, this 2018 overall roster is better than 2016 or 2014 as well (omitting QBs)
Probably not 2007 though, I agree.

As for the playoffs...1st round.
The Viking s are underachieving. So that really helps Their top to bottom roster looks at least as good as ours. Seattle's is not, but they are playing better than the Vikes right now. Overachieving vs their talent. Kudos to the coach and, I'd say, to the QB.

But I think we can take either of them here in Dallas.

Last edited:

mrmojo

Reaction score
This team was far from a bottom feeder, they are only one year removed from 13-3. If anything the defense has a lot to do with the turn around with the emergence of LVE. I love Coopers contribution but we need to win in playoffs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
As did the trade for the rights to draft Tony Dorsett (well win i should say).

Forgot about the Haley trade (don't know how), but that was a good one as well, thanks.

Yeah so Dorsett is long before my time.....I didn't know we traded to get him lol. Trading for one of the best running back of all time has to rank somewhere in there I would think lol.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What other player in Cowboy history turned their fortune in this manner?

From an almost certain non playoff team into a division champ and SB contender.
A player doesn't need to turn the team's season around mid-season to be the MVP. I'd say Roger, Troy, Romo, Danny White, Emmitt, and a host of others were more important to their respective teams.