Amari Cooper - All time Cowboys MVP?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
2016 was good, 2014 was good, 2007 was good.....this roster is just as comparable to them.......this "best roster" is nonsense to justify why Romo didn't do more with what he had. This team is flawed just like those teams are flawed. And we are flawed at quarterback just like we were then except this time around our quarterback has a knack for showing up in the 4th quarter of games.
Romo is tied at 19th in NFL history for game winning drives.

Darkhound

Reaction score
OMG.. this was a good Trade... but all time..dude.. easy on the excitement!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2016 was good, 2014 was good, 2007 was good.....this roster is just as comparable to them.......this "best roster" is nonsense to justify why Romo didn't do more with what he had. This team is flawed just like those teams are flawed. And we are flawed at quarterback just like we were then except this time around our quarterback has a knack for showing up in the 4th quarter of games.
Romo is tied at 19th in NFL history for game winning drives.
How many game winning drives does he have in the playoffs or win and get in games? Is he 19th all time in that too?
A goalpost moved.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A player doesn't need to turn the team's season around mid-season to be the MVP. I'd say Roger, Troy, Romo, Danny White, Emmitt, and a host of others were more important to their respective teams.
I agree but did any of them come into a season when the team was collapsing to turn them into a division champ and SB contender from the depths we were in.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
The cowboys have started winning since cooper got here, but he is not even the mvp of the offense. He has to take down zeke before he gets the offensive mvp. Then he has competition from the defense for mvp of the team ( who unlike the offense, the defense is in the top of the league ). After he does that, then he can compete with other cowboys teams.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’ll agree with you if the team makes it to the Super Bowl. Otherwise the others names you mentioned still had a bigger impact - Haley, Roger, and Deion.
Your missing my point. None of them resurrected a team spiraling down to a collapse.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When we traded for Cooper, our previous 3 games were:
  • A loss in overtime
  • A shellacking of JAC
  • A loss where we missed a game-tying field goal as time expired.
Yes, the Tennessee loss (our first game with Cooper) was pretty bad. But "a team spiraling down to a collapse" is an exaggeration.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When we traded for Cooper, our previous 3 games were:
  • A loss in overtime
  • A shellacking of JAC
  • A loss where we missed a game-tying field goal as time expired.
Yes, the Tennessee loss (our first game with Cooper) was pretty bad. But "a team spiraling down to a collapse" is an exaggeration.
Is it?

How would you describe our state of the union before the Cooper trade?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
OMG.. this was a good Trade... but all time..dude.. easy on the excitement!
All time for our current situation which was a team spiraling down on the cusp of collapsing emerging to a division champ and Super Bowl contender.

Stay within the parameters and narration I set.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So, before the trade with a losing record you predicted the Cowboys were going to instantly turn it around and win the division?
I didn't.....but I did think they'd eventually play better in part because I never had faith int he Commanders. They had the NFC East lead and Alex Smith was terrible.

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree but did any of them come into a season when the team was collapsing to turn them into a division champ and SB contender from the depths we were in.

I've seen players do this. Come in and make a big difference. But I can't remember a WR doing it. That simply shouldn't be enough to turn around a bad team. So going from crap to being considered as one of the best teams in the NFC 6 weeks after the trade for a WR? It has to be considered.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yes but the Cowboys were already a playoff team when they acquired Haley. He just helped put them over the top.

And the Hershel trade took a couple years to deliver. It wasn’t an immediate impact.

You could argue in the NFC East the Cowboys were already a playoff team too before getting Cooper.

Thomas82

Reaction score
What other player in Cowboy history turned their fortune in this manner?

From an almost certain non playoff team into a division champ and SB contender.

The closest resemblance to what Amari is doing for us right now that I can remember is Miles Austin in 2009.