Signed by Cowboys Amari Cooper traded to Cowboys **merged**

btcutter

Reaction score
It took Romo forever to get to that point. He was terrible at reading D's for several years when he first started.

I don't know if I agree with that. Watched "A football life...Romo"... He tells you that during first few years he's throwing mechanics was so poor that he wouldn't deliver the ball to where he wants it to go. He could see the play developing but couldn't get the ball there.

In Dak's case I don't see him "seeing the play developing".....

Jimbo69

Reaction score
One, the season isn't quite over. Two, he's far from the only cause of our offensive roller coaster. And three, you're incorrect. He very much is near a top 15 QB.
Just so you don't misunderstand that statement, I am not saying he will develop into a QB that is good enough to overcome the offenses weaknesses.
We can disagree but prescott at present is not a top 15 QB. When this move fails to propel this team anywhere near the championship we all crave, you will blame something else. The OL or the fact we need another weapon.
He can win games and that is the problem, mediocrity.
Giving this guy $20m a year will be a terrible mistake.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We can disagree but prescott at present is not a top 15 QB. When this move fails to propel this team anywhere near the championship we all crave, you will blame something else. The OL or the fact we need another weapon.
He can win games and that is the problem, mediocrity.
Giving this guy $20m a year will be a terrible mistake.
There is more to consider. He screwed up fumbling, but played a pretty good game. It's easy to blame him, but he wasn't at fault for the shitpile O line and run game. We can nitpick every mistake, but it's hardly all his fault.
How can you NOT blame the O line, RB and WRs? Did their poor performance not exist? That's beyond ridiculous.
Note - I just put blame partly on the QB. Find me a better QB and put him in, I'm ok with that. But that isn't going to make the O line better in run or pass block. It's not going to make our TEs into an instant threat.

kskboys

Reaction score
There is more to consider. He screwed up fumbling, but played a pretty good game. It's easy to blame him, but he wasn't at fault for the shitpile O line and run game. We can nitpick every mistake, but it's hardly all his fault.
How can you NOT blame the O line, RB and WRs? Did their poor performance not exist? That's beyond ridiculous.
Note - I just put blame partly on the QB. Find me a better QB and put him in, I'm ok with that. But that isn't going to make the O line better in run or pass block. It's not going to make our TEs into an instant threat.
Simple casual fans not understanding the game well enough to blame anyone but the QB.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Cooper did have two really good seasons in '15 and '16. But that was when Carr was on top of his game and Amari had a quality #2 receiver beside him.

But last year Cooper only had 680 receiving yards. Nearly half of that came in just two games. 210 yards vs KC and 115 against the Chargers. That means the other 14 games he had less than 350 yards combined.

This year he's had 2 100+ yard games mixed in with three terrible games. He's just been up and down so I guess he'll fit right in with Dallas. But somehow we're hoping he reverts the receiver he was 2-3 years ago despite going from Carr at his peak to Dak in Garrett/Linehans offense.

Bottomline is we overpaid for an inconsistent WR the Raiders were desperate to get rid of due to our own desperation after not adequately addressing the position prior to this year other than signing several fringe FA's and hoping something stuck. No one else was offering a 1st. The best was a 2nd with maybe another pick thrown in. Our 2nd would likely have been higher than the Eagles and the Raiders were almost sure to trade Cooper rather than hang onto him and then try to desperately dump him because they weren't giving him a 2nd contract. But along comes desperate Jerry to hand over a 1st.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
I don't know if Romo has more arm talent than Dak. But I know for certain Romo can process the situation faster and make quicker decisions than Dak. To me that's Dak's biggest flaw. He's constantly waiting for someone to BE OPEN instead of knowing where someone is GOING TO BE open and throw to that spot. That's why Daks is constantly holding on to the ball TOO LONG and getting sacked.

Dak has not shown any improvement (speeding up) in his ability to process and execute plays over past 2 years. Not sure he ever will.

No he hasn’t improved in that aspect and by now, year three, it won’t happen. Atleast to the point where he has consistent success. People act like he is still a rookie.

Romo had one of the quickest arm releases in the league and could make throws on a regular basis that Dak can’t. It does take time to develop. With that said and after almost three years things are what they are.

Dak can’t get the ball down the field. He’s had opportunities all year despite many here who has said he hasn’t. As I mentioned before my opinion turned after watching him live. He doesn’t have an NFL arm.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I don't know if I agree with that. Watched "A football life...Romo"... He tells you that during first few years he's throwing mechanics was so poor that he wouldn't deliver the ball to where he wants it to go. He could see the play developing but couldn't get the ball there.

In Dak's case I don't see him "seeing the play developing".....
The #9 also stated he threw the ball every day daily & even laying on the couch at home would be constantly gripping it,,,and while I could be wrong,I'm not inclined to believe that same level of committed strive of betterment resides within the #4

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
At this point I'm willing to wait until the end of the season to pass judgment on the guy and this offense.

And guess what?

Even if you aren't willing to wait... Doesn't matter.

Cowboys aren't going to do anything about the QB situation this season and maybe not next season either.

Enjoy.

I enjoy everything, dont worry about that...…………..even when Clappy blows games...…….I'm still happy:D

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I know Dumbo GM Jerry Jones just over paid for Amari Cooper. However, the trade for a no.1 WR had to be made. I would not have given the Raiders a no.1 pick, but we were going to draft a WR no.1 next year or a DT. So welcome to the 2019 NFL Draft. The Dallas Cowboys select...Amari Cooper, 6-1-210 WR from Alabama who has had 4 years in the league with 2 pro bowls.

But lets look at what this draft is about...Zeke and Dak. Most importantly Zeke.

Emmitt Smith rushed for a lot of yards as a Dallas Cowboy. He did that knowing Michael Irvin, Alvin Harper, Jay Novacek, and even Kevin Williams was going to make a team pay when putting +8 in the box.

Jimmy Johnson use to say is it going to be slow death or fast death. Either way you are going to die. Slow death was doubling the Playmaker allowing Emmitt to tear your defense heart out. Fast Death was going to be +8 in the box allowing the Playmaker, the High Jumper, and the Wyoming Cowboy to snatch the breath out you defense.

Amari Cooper can not be covered one on one. He is 6-1-210, 4.35-4.4 40yd time, with a 34 inch vertical jump. But more important is his short shuttle and 3 cone drill. His short shuttle is under 4.00 seconds and cone drill is under 7.00 seconds. That means he can get there faster and change directions faster than most players who are usually 3-4 inches shorter and 10-15 pounds lighter. He is a special football athlete. Dak does not throw to his supposedly open receivers because they have not showed he can trust them to beat one on one coverage. It does not matter if Dak is right. Zeke has all those defenders in the box because the opposing defense does not believe no WR on the Cowboys roster can get them out the box. Trust me Dak will trust Cooper because Cooper will be open and get separation (see short shuttle and cone drill). He will drop some passes but that is usually caused by boredom. When feed regularly he will produce to the pro bowler levels of his 1st 2 years. He does have a high catch % this year versus the last 2 years. The Cowboys offense is not complex

Now if we had a HC/OC that knew how to use this package, I would be cool with giving up a first round pick. Bama did not have big time NFL QB prospects throwing Cooper the ball. Saban lined Cooper wide, in the slot, and most importantly on JET SWEEPS. If you are going to line him in the same spot like Dez was used, he is not Dez Bryant. Dez would out physical you. Cooper could but does not. He is a finesse player that is athletically physical.

So if Cooper does not get off, you finally may have enough ammo to get Garrett and Linehan out of Dallas to bring someone else in as HC/OC.

btcutter

Reaction score
The #9 also stated he threw the ball every day daily & even laying on the couch at home would be constantly gripping it,,,and while I could be wrong,I'm not inclined to believe that same level of committed strive of betterment resides within the #4

But...but....but #9 golf too much.......and he went to Cabo.....

Jimbo69

Reaction score
Simple casual fans not understanding the game well enough to blame anyone but the QB.
I've been watching the cowboys for 36 years and know enough to see Dak is not a top 15 QB in this league.
I have tried to be supportive of him because he is the QB of the Cowboys and if he doesn't work it will put this team back another five years.
Just flinging out snide comments won't hide the obvious fact that we have a QB who at best will be mediocre.
I expect more from this team than medioce.

Jimbo69

Reaction score
We won't be finding a new QB because jerry just traded away our premier barganing chip on a WR on a one and half year deal who has played poorly for two seasons straight. We face stacked boxes because nobody respects our QB. It has been that way since the middle of last season ( although Denver figured it out earlier) and will not change while Dak dithers in the pocket.
The OL is not what it was in 16 but it is far from the bust people are saying on this forum.
Well now Dak has a weapon and if this doesn't work , what then? What excuse will be wheeled out?
Dak on this team can win games, however he will not take us to the big one and we will keep treading the same water we have been for 20 odd years.

csirl

Reaction score
Desparation panic trade to try and save JGs job.

But seriously damages the next HC due to inability to draft a 1st round QB.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
Desparation panic trade to try and save JGs job.

But seriously damages the next HC due to inability to draft a 1st round QB.

Yep.

I don't think it's ever crossed Jerry's mind to fire Garrett though. I think Garrett will be here for years to come unfortunately and that makes me want to puke.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We won't be finding a new QB because jerry just traded away our premier barganing chip on a WR on a one and half year deal who has played poorly for two seasons straight. We face stacked boxes because nobody respects our QB. It has been that way since the middle of last season ( although Denver figured it out earlier) and will not change while Dak dithers in the pocket.
The OL is not what it was in 16 but it is far from the bust people are saying on this forum.
Well now Dak has a weapon and if this doesn't work , what then? What excuse will be wheeled out?
Dak on this team can win games, however he will not take us to the big one and we will keep treading the same water we have been for 20 odd years.
Sorry, that's simply not accurate. You have no idea if we can get another QB next season. You're speculating.
Secondly, look at the Skins game for example. They had 4 and 5 man defensive lines all game long, so all you are doing is inaccurately parroting what a bunch of clowns suggest. Our O line line got completely manhandled by 4 and 5 man fronts! Go watch the game. They were able to shut down Elliott. Just like Carolina, Houston and Seattle. See a pattern? But feel free to put all the blame on the QB, it's just wrong.
Your comment on the pocket is interesting. Here's my take.
***Disclaimer*** Prescott packed up a ran a couple of times he should have been more patient. But when you get sacked 4 times and hit 10, there is no ******* pocket. Another misused phrased parroted. And somehow Prescott had a decent performance passing. Hmm, still saying the O line isn't bad?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
When you are a slow reader and can't see when pressured, any offensive line will look bad..

Jimbo69

Reaction score
Sorry, that's simply not accurate. You have no idea if we can get another QB next season. You're speculating.
Secondly, look at the Skins game for example. They had 4 and 5 man defensive lines all game long, so all you are doing is inaccurately parroting what a bunch of clowns suggest. Our O line line got completely manhandled by 4 and 5 man fronts! Go watch the game. They were able to shut down Elliott. Just like Carolina, Houston and Seattle. See a pattern? But feel free to put all the blame on the QB, it's just wrong.
Your comment on the pocket is interesting. Here's my take.
***Disclaimer*** Prescott packed up a ran a couple of times he should have been more patient. But when you get sacked 4 times and hit 10, there is no ******* pocket. Another misused phrased parroted. And somehow Prescott had a decent performance passing. Hmm, still saying the O line isn't

bad?

How on earth are we going to sign a QB after trading away our no1 pick. I look forward to your suggestion.Perhaps we can trade away the 20 and 21st round picks to move up the draft or blow our hard earned cap savings on a journeyman, because i can't see a QB worth anything being available in FA.
Dak as has been quoted on this forum has had over 3 secs on average to pass this season, more than enough time in the NFL to read a defence and make a decision. He missed at least four throws against the Commanders with relatively clean pockets. The OL didn't play great on sunday but they were not the road crash you make them out to be. If we had a passing game of any consistancy the opportunities to run the ball would consurmately increase. Defenses just don't fear Dak, players are openly stating this. Smoot said the same thing before the game on Sunday, even going back to Denver last year the gameplan to beat was being openly stated. Teams are formulating a game plan to take zeke out and let Prescott beat them. Dak dithers in the pocket and protection breaks down. Well before the OL blame game it was the WRs not getting separation that was the problem -now he has a No1 so lets see how that works.
You state it is a team problem and to a certain extent this true, but without a QB who can read defenses and make throws the whole Offence becomes predictable, pedestrian and in a NFL that has become a pass dominated league pointless.