Twitter: Amazing reports on Dak Prescott's injury recovery

HanD

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of knowledge about the strength and healing capacity of ligaments, so I was basically wondering if there'd be a big difference between how well your ankles hold up in the future, and how well Dak's likely will. It seems like there's a strong likelihood that Dak won't have the issues you've had, unless I'm misunderstanding your response.

I think dak and I are a bit different hahaha.

Yes I used to do lots of rehab for it. Once it's back to strength you don't notice the ligaments. But I've sprained ankles so many times and they were fine. Once I tore the ligaments it felt like it was easier to resprain your ankle but day to day isn't an issue. Even a small sleeve on his ankle would be helpful if he wanted it but these days my braces lace up and have 3 straps for support. He's young and has great doctors. Ligament wise I wouldn't image he'd have anything lingering. I was older when I started tearing ligaments.

HanD

Reaction score
LMAO.. you gonna use Voodoo on him or something. Nobody has to learn to walk after a broken leg or ankle. As soon as the leg will bear weight the doctors will have him on it. That's the approach in modern medicine. Nobody leaves a joint immobilized for 12 weeks. I don't even think they did that in the olden days. But they sure as hell don't do it now. I suffered a third degree shoulder separation once.. the doctor told me to get back to lifting weights inside of two weeks. When I broke my wrist they took the hard cast off at 4 weeks then put on the soft/removeable cast for another 4. It was a compound fracture from falling off an 8 foot ladder and doing what you instinctively do when you fall.. I stuck my hand out. Bad move. Broke about 10 bones in the wrist. The funniest part was that I was home alone and needed to finished chopping up the tree branch that had knocked me off the ladder because it was blocking the road. So I was one handed chainsaw guy for a few minutes.. The neighbors must have been really entertained. Went to the hospital the next day because the arm was.. well .. not good. The point of all that is that modern medicine is VERY aggressive about getting you back on the proverbial horse so as to avoid too much scar tissue buildup which would result in significant loss of range of motion. There is no way in hell they keep Dak in a cast for 12 weeks. I'd be shocked if it got to 8.. Tomorrow will mark week 6.. I would not be surprised if he start PT next week.

Yeah as long as the bones are fine you need to exercise ligaments and joints to help them heal more quickly. Just resting them for that long is worse for you. Apparently he knows better than what has been reported from doctors....

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I agree, he'd probably be in good shape for throwing the ball, but would he be in good enough shape to scramble, or even perform a QB draw?
Good question, Runny. Dak most certainly will have to wear a heavy duty high ankle brace from here on forward. That should help with stability and some protection. Eventually, Dak would be required to move around and quite possibly even scramble for a few yards now and then. The question as you stated is if he would be able to do QB draws come January? He possibly could but would very likely not be asked to do so. Pocket passing would likely be what Dak would be limited to until sometime next season where with camp and practice he could slowly get used to doing more with that ankle.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I can't.. I heard him on a radio spot.. Can't remember if it was the Ticket or The Fan. Besides if there had been ligament damage or some other sort of setback do you think we would not have heard about it already? I will do see if I can find some sort of transcript of the interview though..

Based on the injury, no ligament damage would be outside the norm and we would have heard about it.

There’s not a single mention of it on the internet.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Good question, Runny. Dak most certainly will have to wear a heavy duty high ankle brace from here on forward. That should help with stability and some protection. Eventually, Dak would be required to move around and quite possibly even scramble for a few yards now and then. The question as you stated is if he would be able to do QB draws come January? He possibly could but would very likely not be asked to do so. Pocket passing would likely be what Dak would be limited to until sometime next season where with camp and practice he could slowly get used to doing more with that ankle.
I think I'd prefer he just wait until he's 100%. There's absolutely no chance of it being worth the risk to his future.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good question, Runny. Dak most certainly will have to wear a heavy duty high ankle brace from here on forward. That should help with stability and some protection. Eventually, Dak would be required to move around and quite possibly even scramble for a few yards now and then. The question as you stated is if he would be able to do QB draws come January? He possibly could but would very likely not be asked to do so. Pocket passing would likely be what Dak would be limited to until sometime next season where with camp and practice he could slowly get used to doing more with that ankle. Pocket passing would likely be what Dak would be limited
Taking into consideration his great accuracy and pocket presence whatever team signs him will be doomed!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yeah as long as the bones are fine you need to exercise ligaments and joints to help them heal more quickly. Just resting them for that long is worse for you. Apparently he knows better than what has been reported from doctors....

Oh nobody here KNOWS much of anything .. But a lot of them are just hoping that if they keep wishing for it to be so it will happen. I have read or heard about 10 doctors break down Dak's injury and the varying levels of severity. The only scenario where there would be an elongated downtime would have been if there was a torn ligament .. Fortunately for Dak, it's damn near impossible to tear an ankle ligament. The design of the joint requires that they be among the most flexible in the body. I once slipped rounding first base and turned my ankle completely completely sideways. 90 degree angle. Sucker swelled up three times normal size and stayed that way for a week. Then just went down and was fine.. I didn't even go to the doctor.. because I was young and indestructible (read stupid) back then. The ankle was never 100% from that day forward.. but it has never stopped me from doing anything including running, playing football, baseball, basketball.. hiking.. you name it I have been able to do it and generally without any pain... But it will predict the weather now! At least it tells me when it's going to rain..

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No ligament damage would be outside the norm and we would have heard about it.

This is the most up to date thing I could find. I haven't found anything that states either way whether there was or wasn't ligament damage. The best I found was a tweet saying that his doctor specializes, in part, in using "advanced techniques in ankle ligament reconstruction to minimize immobilization and inactivity period".

This article doesn't say anything about that, but does point out that there's no chance of Dak returning this season.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...ess-in-injury-recovery/ar-BB1beCjM?li=BBnb7Kz

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Do you remember romos version of football condition? Lol

Not sure the point. This isn't a question of how fit the quarterback is. It's a question of time being needed to come back from a major injury.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Based on the injury, no ligament damage would be outside the norm and we would have heard about it.

Sooooo.. there is no mention of ligament damage then there must be some? Is that your contention? You can't find a source to tell you that something didn't happen.. so you assume that it did? Why are you owed a minute by minute detail of every aspect of the guy's injury? And why would only negative news get the CIA treatment? I mean you do know how the media works right? All of them are bombarding the hospital staff with calls offering everything from huge sums of money to Super Bowl tickets for any juicy information they can glean. If Dak had any unusually bad aspects of his injury someone would have leaked it a LONG time ago. The fact that he was back at the team facility riding around on one of those little scooter things the day after the surgery tells me all I need to know. He's only his way back sooner than later. And all the Dak haters are just gonna have to keep hatin'. Cause you know.. that's what they do..

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sooooo.. there is no mention of ligament damage then there must be some? Is that your contention? You can't find a source to tell you that something didn't happen.. so you assume that it did? Why are you owed a minute by minute detail of every aspect of the guy's injury? And why would only negative news get the CIA treatment? I mean you do know how the media works right? All of them are bombarding the hospital staff with calls offering everything from huge sums of money to Super Bowl tickets for any juicy information they can glean. If Dak had any unusually bad aspects of his injury someone would have leaked it a LONG time ago. The fact that he was back at the team facility riding around on one of those little scooter things the day after the surgery tells me all I need to know. He's only his way back sooner than later. And all the Dak haters are just gonna have to keep hatin'. Cause you know.. that's what they do..
I think his point was that in an injury such as this, it's so extremely common and likely that ligament damage occurs, that it would be an anomaly for it not to, thus making it newsworthy. I have no idea if that's true or not, just saying I think that's his point of view.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think his point was that in an injury such as this, it's so extremely common and likely that ligament damage occurs, that it would be an anomaly for it not to, thus making it newsworthy. I have no idea if that's true or not, just saying I think that's his point of view.

So no damage would be newsworthy but significant damage would not? You can't really believe that.. He's the quarterback of American's team.. This aint Buffalo or Minneapolis.. This is Dallas.. You know the team that is at the head of every tease of every sports show on every sports network in the country. "Coming up next: a former Cowboys janitor sweeps a floor!" Dak can't take a dump without someone wanting to know what color it was. Anybody know what Kirk Cousins did for his last birthday party? Drew Brees? Hell even Tom Brady can celebrate a birthday without the media being all up in it.. However Dak's birthday party this year was reported on by half the media outlets in the country.. But in spite of that, the extent of his ankle injury is the best kept secret since the last Royal Pregancy. I can't see it..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He's pissed you're allowed near schools?
Right! :laugh: He needs to take it up with a judge not with me.

There seems to be a lot of that type of stuff here. I don't get it. People should be able to disagree without constantly getting personal. People should even be able to dislike each other and just ignore each other's posts, when they don't have a horse in the race.
Man I don't get it either man. You know its crazy man you can say anything about anyone on this site but there's a few posters who feel its their job to take personal attacks at you for defending Dak. I assume we are all adults here yet you have to throw personal insults when you don't get your way or someone disagrees with you? I just don't understand it man.....

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Because every medical article/opinion that has commented on Dak’s specific type of injury has mentioned ligament tears are by default a result of that injury.

You made the bogus claim specifically saying:

But the doctor who did the surgery already reported that there WAS no ligament damage.”

And of course you have no reference for the doctor saying it because you completely made it up.

You’re lecturing me on how the media is supposedly bombarding the hospital staff for any tiny bit of information, yet you’re claiming Dak’s surgeon got a radio show and said “there was no ligament damage” and yet there’s NOT A SHRED of evidence confirming that anywhere.

Last edited:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
So no damage would be newsworthy but significant damage would not? You can't really believe that.. He's the quarterback of American's team.. This aint Buffalo or Minneapolis.. This is Dallas.. You know the team that is at the head of every tease of every sports show on every sports network in the country. "Coming up next: a former Cowboys janitor sweeps a floor!" Dak can't take a dump without someone wanting to know what color it was. Anybody know what Kirk Cousins did for his last birthday party? Drew Brees? Hell even Tom Brady can celebrate a birthday without the media being all up in it.. However Dak's birthday party this year was reported on by half the media outlets in the country.. But in spite of that, the extent of his ankle injury is the best kept secret since the last Royal Pregancy. I can't see it..

Loooool, yeah, exactly.

Which is precisely the reason why if the very surgeon that performed the operation supposedly got on a radio show and said “there was no ligament damage” it would be huge news, retweeted and discussed ad nauseam in media and on this forum.