Twitter: Amazing reports on Dak Prescott's injury recovery

HanD

Reaction score
You tear ligaments in a high ankle sprain, so yes, there was ligament damage. Lol But no surgery for that damage which means it wasnt serious ligament damage and will heal on there own and with PT.

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?contenttypeid=134&contentid=504

"Severe injury can pull or tear these ligaments out of place. This creates an abnormal space between 1 or more of the bones. The ligaments are very strong and don't pull away or tear easily. Ankle dislocations often occur along with a break in 1 or more of the ankle bones. In some cases, an ankle dislocation can happen without a break in the ankle bones. In these cases, the ankle dislocation occurs along with a severe ankle sprain. A severe sprain is when the ligaments are torn."

http://www.southfloridasportsmedicine.com/ankle-ligament-injuries.html

"Complete tears of the main ligament (ATFL-anterior talofibular ligament) are usually accompanied by more pain, difficulty weightbearing, swelling and discoloration to the outside of the ankle. These ligament injuries require immobilization to allow the ligament to heal primarily. In most cases a hard weightbearing cast or an ankle brace and a boot is all that is necessary. Patients can immediately weightbear as pain allows. The ankle brace should again be used in the nighttime while the patient sleeps and the boot should be used any time the patient weightbears. If it occurs on the right ankle, the boot can come off while the patient drives but the brace should remain on at all times. Immobilization may be necessary for four weeks. No anti-inflammatories should be used at any time. Physical therapy is usually begun once stability begins to take hold in the ankle and that could take 2-3 weeks. Physical therapy’s aim is to restore range of motion, strength and stability back to the ankle. Return to sports may take 4-6 weeks. These injuries are often accompanied by a mild stretch or partial tear to the secondary ligament on the outside of the ankle called the calcaneal fibular ligament (CFL). If present, similar protocol is needed. This partial ligament tear will heal in the same timeframe as the main ligament injury."

He will be fine.
I tore ligaments in my ankle on Halloween. 3rd time it's happened to me. I'm walking now and use a brace for longer walks or if I need to do anything more than light walking inside. Usually by week 5 or 6 I'm running again. And I'm 44yo without a therapist. Ligaments hurt but heal quickly with no major issues. Never as strong again in my experience but aren't a big deal.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I tore ligaments in my ankle on Halloween. 3rd time it's happened to me. I'm walking now and use a brace for longer walks or if I need to do anything more than light walking inside. Usually by week 5 or 6 I'm running again. And I'm 44yo without a therapist. Ligaments hurt but heal quickly with no major issues. Never as strong again in my experience but aren't a big deal.
Do you exercise them regularly, even once they're healed?

HanD

Reaction score
Do you exercise them regularly, even once they're healed?
I have terrible ankles on both sides from sports when I was young. Basketball tennis especially.

I have bands but I usually only exercise when healing. Otherwise calf exercises are similar for my regular workouts. Once I'm back I usually wear braces when doing anything athletic requiring lateral movement.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have terrible ankles on both sides from sports when I was young. Basketball tennis especially.

I have bands but I usually only exercise when healing. Otherwise calf exercises are similar for my regular workouts. Once I'm back I usually wear braces when doing anything athletic requiring lateral movement.
I don't have a lot of knowledge about the strength and healing capacity of ligaments, so I was basically wondering if there'd be a big difference between how well your ankles hold up in the future, and how well Dak's likely will. It seems like there's a strong likelihood that Dak won't have the issues you've had, unless I'm misunderstanding your response.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He deserves it he likes to get my attention even when I don’t call for him I don’t understand his infatuation with me. I’m disgusted......
There seems to be a lot of that type of stuff here. I don't get it. People should be able to disagree without constantly getting personal. People should even be able to dislike each other and just ignore each other's posts, when they don't have a horse in the race.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He deserves it he likes to get my attention even when I don’t call for him I don’t understand his infatuation with me. I’m disgusted......

Lol, says the guy PM’ing asking “what did I do???”

Go find another dead guy to idolize, lulz.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
12 weeks with a cast.

Rehab. Learn to walk.

5 months.

Football in July.

LMAO.. you gonna use Voodoo on him or something. Nobody has to learn to walk after a broken leg or ankle. As soon as the leg will bear weight the doctors will have him on it. That's the approach in modern medicine. Nobody leaves a joint immobilized for 12 weeks. I don't even think they did that in the olden days. But they sure as hell don't do it now. I suffered a third degree shoulder separation once.. the doctor told me to get back to lifting weights inside of two weeks. When I broke my wrist they took the hard cast off at 4 weeks then put on the soft/removeable cast for another 4. It was a compound fracture from falling off an 8 foot ladder and doing what you instinctively do when you fall.. I stuck my hand out. Bad move. Broke about 10 bones in the wrist. The funniest part was that I was home alone and needed to finished chopping up the tree branch that had knocked me off the ladder because it was blocking the road. So I was one handed chainsaw guy for a few minutes.. The neighbors must have been really entertained. Went to the hospital the next day because the arm was.. well .. not good. The point of all that is that modern medicine is VERY aggressive about getting you back on the proverbial horse so as to avoid too much scar tissue buildup which would result in significant loss of range of motion. There is no way in hell they keep Dak in a cast for 12 weeks. I'd be shocked if it got to 8.. Tomorrow will mark week 6.. I would not be surprised if he start PT next week.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak is a true professional athlete and he will eventually get healthy enough to play again.

What I was referring to was the OP crazy idea of playing Dak if the Boyz make the playoffs(lmao). It's bizarre for someone to even think like that with the owwy that Dak has. It's must be some fascination for Dak. lol
Hey, Jack, Romo did it. Other QBs have as well suffered severe injuries where they suddenly are able to play ahead of schedule and during the playoffs. Why can't Dak? It's no fascination. Just asking. If anything, you're the one with a fascination.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
LMAO.. you gonna use Voodoo on him or something. Nobody has to learn to walk after a broken leg or ankle. As soon as the leg will bear weight the doctors will have him on it. That's the approach in modern medicine. Nobody leaves a joint immobilized for 12 weeks. I don't even think they did that in the olden days. But they sure as hell don't do it now. I suffered a third degree shoulder separation once.. the doctor told me to get back to lifting weights inside of two weeks. When I broke my wrist they took the hard cast off at 4 weeks then put on the soft/removeable cast for another 4. It was a compound fracture from falling off an 8 foot ladder and doing what you instinctively do when you fall.. I stuck my hand out. Bad move. Broke about 10 bones in the wrist. The funniest part was that I was home alone and needed to finished chopping up the tree branch that had knocked me off the ladder because it was blocking the road. So I was one handed chainsaw guy for a few minutes.. The neighbors must have been really entertained. Went to the hospital the next day because the arm was.. well .. not good. The point of all that is that modern medicine is VERY aggressive about getting you back on the proverbial horse so as to avoid too much scar tissue buildup which would result in significant loss of range of motion. There is no way in hell they keep Dak in a cast for 12 weeks. I'd be shocked if it got to 8.. Tomorrow will mark week 6.. I would not be surprised if he start PT next week.

“But the doctor who did the surgery already reported that there WAS no ligament damage.”

So are you going to provide proof of this or not?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Do you even read what you type? The only concern is the main concern genius:facepalm:
The poster was talking about if Dak would be in football game condition if he were to come back sooner. Dak is in such great shape, he wouldn't be that far off of being in football game shape, especially for a QB. A week or two of throwing and being in practice could solve that. Please try to catch up without having everything explained fully.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
“But the doctor who did the surgery already reported that there WAS no ligament damage.”

So are you going to provide proof of this or not?

I can't.. I heard him on a radio spot.. Can't remember if it was the Ticket or The Fan. Besides if there had been ligament damage or some other sort of setback do you think we would not have heard about it already? I will do see if I can find some sort of transcript of the interview though..

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The poster was talking about if Dak would be in football game condition if he were to come back sooner. Dak is in such great shape, he wouldn't be that far off of being in football game shape, especially for a QB. A week or two of throwing and being in practice could solve that. Please try to catch up without having everything explained fully.
I agree, he'd probably be in good shape for throwing the ball, but would he be in good enough shape to scramble, or even perform a QB draw?