American Idol Fans?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hostile;2090907 said:
It's about time a rocker type won it all. I thought Cook was the best all season long because he took chances. No doubt the kid can sing his young lungs out, but he plays it safe every ballad. That bores me. Cook's version fo Billy Jean was the highlight of the season, IMO.

BTW, I don't think it's any coincidence that most of the success post-idol has happened for the country singers. One of the big complaints I have with pop music is that people get built up and put on a pedastal then as soon as they are up there the same fans feel compelled to tear them down. Very few stay popular and poignant to the fans in that genre over a long haul.

I'm interested in seeing if Chris Daughtry and now David Cook have that same good fortune with rock that the country Idols have had in their genre because their fans are very similar in loyalty patterns.

There's more money and fame fast in Pop music, but it sure seems to be a lot of flash and very fleeting. Very few artists in that genre simply transcend the norm.
I sum that all up to mean when your fan base is 10 year old girls you dont keep a fan base very long:)~

But the point is very valid.

kristie

Reaction score
jterrell;2091171 said:
He needs to learn to sing in more than one key.

I thought his finals performance was as good as he has been all season but again he sang the same song 3 times.

The judges are consistent in liking him because he he is consistent in singing the same song.

The one time he tried to go a different route and sing Chris Brown kittens were killed.

Archuleta never should have made the top 3. American Idol is about star quality and presence as much as singing. This isn't Star Search.

I was also quite pleased that the first year they allowed instruments the winner could actually play one.

i think that was 1 of my favorite things to see this season.:)

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
I personally feel Cook is going to fade away like the AI winners I cannot remember. I think Archie will do as well as Hannah Montana if they market him right.

irvin88

Reaction score
VietCowboy;2091915 said:
I personally feel Cook is going to fade away like the AI winners I cannot remember. I think Archie will do as well as Hannah Montana if they market him right.

But what happens when Archie grows facial hair ? the hannah crowd goes away.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
VietCowboy;2091915 said:

There is zero chance of that happening. Miley Cyrus has a personality, is a real star with a blossoming singing/acting career and not some aww shucks singer who stands still. She is the biggest star in the world right now. I know because I have two young daughters and a young niece. They would punch you in the face for saying Archuleta could ever rival Hannah Montana, rofl. She has a tv show, sold out world tour, clothing line for cripessake.

Her performance on the show was a far cry from his even if he "sings" better.

David A. has to develop something other than singing in a phone booth before he can have a real career.

Most likely he will put out one Cd that will do fairly well then he will fade as he can't back his cd with performances. He has a great pure voice but it will take years of development before he can really use it for more than one tone. Long term he might can reach a Josh Groban type level but that is years away.

Not sure what more evidence you need of what a pop star is than Miley Cyrus or Britney Spears. It is not a goofy looking kid with a great voice, complete lack of rhythm who stands 4 foot tall. It is a "star" who can perform.

Archuleta can't break into the soul or rock or country genres because he has no texture to his voice at all: good or bad. He is a Michael Bolton ballad singer and for most people between the ages of 15 and 60 that is more painful to listen to than an icepick in the ear.

jillsfavs

Reaction score
What did you think of Carrie Underwoods short dress on AI finale? Her legs are like smoking hot. Her whole self is too. My husband was saying rewind, rewind.
The red carpet dress that not many saw will definately get her on Maxims hot
100 next time around. Scandolous. Showing the breast. You can see it at
Carrie-Underwood.org

irvin88

Reaction score
jillsfavs;2092883 said:
What did you think of Carrie Underwoods short dress on AI finale? Her legs are like smoking hot. Her whole self is too. My husband was saying rewind, rewind.
The red carpet dress that not many saw will definately get her on Maxims hot
100 next time around. Scandolous. Showing the breast. You can see it at
Carrie-Underwood.org

trashy. when your 2nd album isn't selling as well, I guess you have to do anything.

VietCowboy

Reaction score
jterrell;2092394 said:
There is zero chance of that happening. Miley Cyrus has a personality, is a real star with a blossoming singing/acting career and not some aww shucks singer who stands still. She is the biggest star in the world right now. I know because I have two young daughters and a young niece. They would punch you in the face for saying Archuleta could ever rival Hannah Montana, rofl. She has a tv show, sold out world tour, clothing line for cripessake.

Her performance on the show was a far cry from his even if he "sings" better.

David A. has to develop something other than singing in a phone booth before he can have a real career.

Most likely he will put out one Cd that will do fairly well then he will fade as he can't back his cd with performances. He has a great pure voice but it will take years of development before he can really use it for more than one tone. Long term he might can reach a Josh Groban type level but that is years away.

Not sure what more evidence you need of what a pop star is than Miley Cyrus or Britney Spears. It is not a goofy looking kid with a great voice, complete lack of rhythm who stands 4 foot tall. It is a "star" who can perform.

Archuleta can't break into the soul or rock or country genres because he has no texture to his voice at all: good or bad. He is a Michael Bolton ballad singer and for most people between the ages of 15 and 60 that is more painful to listen to than an icepick in the ear.

that's what we said about nelly furtado, she faded into obscurity until she adapted to almost an entirely different image and genre. yes, people change, but archie is still very young and has a lot of potential and we'll see after he fully recovers from his vocal paralysis (and stop squinting). I'm glad he got the exposure now, and learning about the business, with the right marketing, can get very far. He actually has an advantage in that he is still very young. Justin is an old fart (compared to his contemporary, he's 27) and has continued to be successful (not comparing directly because I agree that Justin has a lot of personality and is a great performer). Britney is a great performer, but I have always liked Christina Aguilera because she is a much better singer. What i'm trying to say is...yes, you can be a great singer and "make it" and yes, you can be an adequate singer and "make it" if you are a good entertainer.

as far as miley, she has a famous father and an entourage of people who take care of her and she's grown up in this environment. a lot of celebrity kids go on to start their own careers and enjoy their own popularity separate from their parents. It's a lot harder for a practical unknown. who knows what miley will be in a couple of years (maybe another britney spears or lindsay lohan).

I guess I like Archie because I guess he has that latin spice in him. lol, j/k. Well, I'm still gonna believe what I do, and that is Archie's got a lot of potential.

jillsfavs

Reaction score
irvin88;2092918 said:
trashy. when your 2nd album isn't selling as well, I guess you have to do anything.

What the heck are you talking about? Her sophmore CD Carnival Ride has only been out 8 months and is already triple platinum. Everysong released has gone to #1 on the charts. She has sold out every show on the co-headlining show
with Keith Urban and every show of her other tour with Carrie headlining and Josh Turner as warm up. She is getting major product endorsements in print ad and commercials. You really are confused. She is an A-lister that is everywhere there is to be.

irvin88

Reaction score
jillsfavs;2092946 said:
What the heck are you talking about? Her sophmore CD Carnival Ride has only been out 8 months and is already triple platinum. Everysong released has gone to #1 on the charts. She has sold out every show on the co-headlining show
with Keith Urban and every show of her other tour with Carrie headlining and Josh Turner as warm up. She is getting major product endorsements in print ad and commercials. You really are confused. She is an A-lister that is everywhere there is to be.

it's double platinum. 2.1 million sold is considerably less than 6.3 million sold, and there are no signs of it hitting half of what her first album did.

VietCowboy

Reaction score
irvin88;2092953 said:
it's double platinum. 2.1 million sold is considerably less than 6.3 million sold, and there are no signs of it hitting half of what her first album did.

hm...i think taylor swift is very popular, and I can't say I know how her personality is. She seems private. And she is 1 year older than archie

kristie

Reaction score
anyone here going to check out cook & the rest of the idols on the tour? i wish i could go, but i can't afford to. :( oh, if you guys want the tour dates, americanidol.com has them.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
irvin88;2092953 said:
Most albums do not hit the 2.1 million mark. The fact she did has no bearing on what her debut album did.

kristie

Reaction score
Hostile;2094280 said:
Most albums do not hit the 2.1 million mark. The fact she did has no bearing on what her debut album did.

i agree.

Kristi

I Rue Everything
Reaction score
I knew David Cook long before he tried out for American Idol. I have been chatting with him since 2005 via My Space and on the phone and we finally got to meet in April of 2006. His band Axium opened up for two other bands in a dinky dive bar in Lincoln, NE. He is a very humble guy, very down to earth, and what you see on TV is what you get in person. He is really that nice. Yes, we are pretty trashed in this picture.

http://i79.***BLOCKED***/albums/j137/browneyedgirl7928/Axium4-21-06/lin17.jpg

I haven't talked to him since last August when he was driving home from a lead singing audition in Dallas and he was going through Troy Aikman's hometown and he texted me saying "I'm going through Troy Aikman's hometown and I was just thinking of you and wanted to say Hello." I replied with if you move to Dallas BY LAW you have to become a Dallas Cowboys fan. LOL -- he didn't like that very much being a die hard Chiefs fan, but I had to try.

I couldn't be more happy or more proud of him. I told him the world needed to hear his voice -- it was too good not for everyone to hear. He was very humble about that, but I can say I WAS RIGHT. I am seeing him on the AI Tour on August 31st in Minneapolis. Hope to run into him for a little bit. Most likely won't happen, but we'll see. I wish him all the best.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Kristi;2096481 said:
I knew David Cook long before he tried out for American Idol. I have been chatting with him since 2005 via My Space and on the phone and we finally got to meet in April of 2006. His band Axium opened up for two other bands in a dinky dive bar in Lincoln, NE. He is a very humble guy, very down to earth, and what you see on TV is what you get in person. He is really that nice. Yes, we are pretty trashed in this picture.

http://i79.***BLOCKED***/albums/j137/browneyedgirl7928/Axium4-21-06/lin17.jpg

I haven't talked to him since last August when he was driving home from a lead singing audition in Dallas and he was going through Troy Aikman's hometown and he texted me saying "I'm going through Troy Aikman's hometown and I was just thinking of you and wanted to say Hello." I replied with if you move to Dallas BY LAW you have to become a Dallas Cowboys fan. LOL -- he didn't like that very much being a die hard Chiefs fan, but I had to try.

I couldn't be more happy or more proud of him. I told him the world needed to hear his voice -- it was too good not for everyone to hear. He was very humble about that, but I can say I WAS RIGHT. I am seeing him on the AI Tour on August 31st in Minneapolis. Hope to run into him for a little bit. Most likely won't happen, but we'll see. I wish him all the best.
Cool story. He was the best all season long on that show IMO, but I was shocked he won.

One guy on here has a daughter who had dated Jason Castro. You can read about it in this thread.

Nice picture.

heavyg

Reaction score
Hostile;2096588 said:
Cool story. He was the best all season longon that show IMO, but I was shocked he won.

One guy on here has a daughter who had dated Jason Castro. You can read about it in this thread.

Nice picture.

Thats cool about Castro. For some reason I found myself pulling for him. He wasn't the best singer but I liked him. Hopefully he will pop up somewhere.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
VietCowboy;2092927 said:
that's what we said about nelly furtado, she faded into obscurity until she adapted to almost an entirely different image and genre. yes, people change, but archie is still very young and has a lot of potential and we'll see after he fully recovers from his vocal paralysis (and stop squinting). I'm glad he got the exposure now, and learning about the business, with the right marketing, can get very far. He actually has an advantage in that he is still very young. Justin is an old fart (compared to his contemporary, he's 27) and has continued to be successful (not comparing directly because I agree that Justin has a lot of personality and is a great performer). Britney is a great performer, but I have always liked Christina Aguilera because she is a much better singer. What i'm trying to say is...yes, you can be a great singer and "make it" and yes, you can be an adequate singer and "make it" if you are a good entertainer.

as far as miley, she has a famous father and an entourage of people who take care of her and she's grown up in this environment. a lot of celebrity kids go on to start their own careers and enjoy their own popularity separate from their parents. It's a lot harder for a practical unknown. who knows what miley will be in a couple of years (maybe another britney spears or lindsay lohan).

I guess I like Archie because I guess he has that latin spice in him. lol, j/k. Well, I'm still gonna believe what I do, and that is Archie's got a lot of potential.

The problem with your argument here is it is impossible to come up with a real comparison to Archuleta because there are really no other performers as stale as him in the age group. To get by on pure voice you basically have to be Aretha Franklin and Archuleta simply has zero soul. He is the whitest kid I have ever seen with "latin" flavor. Must have been starched out of him in Salt Lake City. I'd bet my house he can't sing a single Salsa song much less dance the salsa. He needs to do more than focus on voice lessons.

Aguilera can sing much better than Britney and that has helped her sustainability but so has her willingness to get near naked and create very entertaining videos. Justin can sing but he writes and dances better he sings which is why he is a star.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
heavyg;2096596 said:
Thats cool about Castro. For some reason I found myself pulling for him. He wasn't the best singer but I liked him. Hopefully he will pop up somewhere.

Local guy and seemed genuine and quite nice.

He wasn't trying to be a superstar though and I think he was genuinely relieved to finally be voted off.

I enjoyed him because he had his own style. Very bohemian.