An Argument In Zeke's Favor For A New Contract

cern

Reaction score
The only thing that matters to me now regarding zeke is that it is not time to sign him. We were 3-5 last year (with zeke) but finished 7-1 after adding cooper. A good day for a rb would be 20 carries for 100 yards. A good day for a wr would be 7 catches for 100 yards. When you're trying to win in the final seconds sans timeouts, you pass. Ergo, dak and cooper must come first.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only thing that matters to me now regarding zeke is that it is not time to sign him. We were 3-5 last year (with zeke) but finished 7-1 after adding cooper. A good day for a rb would be 20 carries for 100 yards. A good day for a wr would be 7 catches for 100 yards. When you're trying to win in the final seconds sans timeouts, you pass. Ergo, dak and cooper must come first.
It is just fact that the run game will never be what it once was and as more NFL offenses adopt the college game offense, the less important as strictly RB's they will be.

And a team shouldn't pay for yards, pay for TD's.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have no issue with Dallas extending his deal. He is 23 and has had no health issues that is of concern. You look at Murray who did very good in Dallas but also had injuries at this level and major injury at college level that can add up to shorter career. Zeke no substantial injuries at OSU and none at this level.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It is just fact that the run game will never be what it once was and as more NFL offenses adopt the college game offense, the less important as strictly RB's they will be.

Getting 9 TDs total with 300+ touches by what is supposed to be the "Best" RB in the league is not good enough and a stat people are ignoring a little too much.

Zeke needs to start taking it to the house - I don't care about loaded boxes, poor o-line play - I watched Barkley last season take one to the house every other week whether it was running or receiving. No excuses for Zeke. If he's the best, he should be able to do this no matter what

cern

Reaction score

Hard to argue the points you just made. But neither can we discount the value of a rb who can consistently be counted on to move the chains on third and short. Invaluable, imo. I am curious what might happen with zeke with Kellen Moore.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ergo is a stud!!! You're right, we need to sign him first!!!

mattjames2010

Reaction score
This, though you will hear they grow on trees and you can get one in the 5th or 6th round.

The argument isn't that you can get a Zeke in the 5th and 6th round often, the argument is that Zeke doesn't make a big enough difference game to game to justify spending the high draft pick or giving him a major second contract.

It's not just Zeke, it's really RBs in general. By every statistical measure, Barkley had a better year than Zeke last year - what was the Giants record? With Zeke in the first half of 2018, what was our record before we brought in help?

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Disagree Zeke has the leverage. He is not a FA. He is under contract which means if he were to hold out it then it would be at a significant cost ($32k per day?). If he was a FA then holding out for a new contract would be a completely different scenario.

It makes sense for Cooper to be done first to create cap space and then Dak. Zeke should be done next year when it is his turn for a new contract.
Zeke is already a multimillionaire, and while he is not a free agent, he makes everyone on the offensive side of the ball go. He can hold out and get his contract here or somewhere else.

I hope Dak is going to be a good QB but he is not the type of QB that can carry a team by himself. Without Zeke teams will just force Dak to beat them and that is not the way this team is built. If you are going to put all the money into the Offensive line then you have to put money into the engine.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Zeke is already a multimillionaire, and while he is not a free agent, he makes everyone on the offensive side of the ball go. He can hold out and get his contract here or somewhere else.

I hope Dak is going to be a good QB but he is not the type of QB that can carry a team by himself. Without Zeke teams will just force Dak to beat them and that is not the way this team is built. If you are going to put all the money into the Offensive line then you have to put money into the engine.

Where was this when we were 3-5?

Maxmadden

Reaction score
The argument isn't that you can get a Zeke in the 5th and 6th round often, the argument is that Zeke doesn't make a big enough difference game to game to justify spending the high draft pick or giving him a major second contract.

It's not just Zeke, it's really RBs in general. By every statistical measure, Barkley had a better year than Zeke last year - what was the Giants record? With Zeke in the first half of 2018, what was our record before we brought in help?
Teams will shut down Barkley when there is a need to do so. Nobody needed to shut down Barkley last year to beat the Giants.

Zeke forces teams to account for him and he gets that extra yard or two that doesn't show up in the stats. Murray was able to do that also.
They let Murray walk and I think they regretted it, I think they want to get Zeke in a contract sooner rather than later.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Where was this when we were 3-5?
It was just before they upgraded the JV wide receiving corps. They stopped Zeke and Dak couldn't beat them, hence 3 - 5.

Not bashing Dak but we didn't have the WR's to overcome being one dimensional.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It was just before they upgraded the JV wide receiving corps. They stopped Zeke and Dak couldn't beat them, hence 3 - 5.

Not bashing Dak but we didn't have the WR's to overcome being one dimensional.

No, this isn't how it works. I continue hearing that Zeke is what makes this offense move - if this was the case, we wouldn't have needed to bring in additional help to jumpstart our offense. (Zeke and Cooper were still part of our first shutout since 2003)

Being a run first team is a bit different than a single player being THE reason our offense moves. That clearly wasn't the case, Zeke is a very talented back, a great back - but he simply isn't a generational guy that carries a team on his back.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Zeke is amazing.

But you pay for future production, not for what a guy has done in the past.

RB's have short shelf lives. Cowboys fans should know that first hand with MBIII and Demarco.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score

How many millionaires do you know are ok with losing $32k per day? Plus $70k for not reporting to mini camp. And IMO most importantly if he held out beyond Aug 5th then he would lose the accrued season. This means Dallas would own his right an additional year.

Cowboys have the leverage.

Last edited:

cern

Reaction score
Balance is the key. Cannot have a balanced offense without a good running game. Love and marriage. Horse and carriage.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
How many millionaires do you know are are ok with losing $32k per day? Plus $70k for not reporting to mini camp. And IMO most importantly if he held out beyond Aug 5th then he would lose the accrued season. This means Dallas would own his right an additional year.

Cowboys have the leverage.
Well, Jerry is a Billionare how much do you think he is willing to pay to tank a season when he believes we have a shot at the Superbowl?

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Well, Jerry is a Billionare how much do you think he is willing to pay to tank a season when he believes we have a shot at the Superbowl?

You are changing the subject to be about Jerry now instead of Zeke. So what exactly are you trying to argue? Jerry's willingness to pay Zeke? Or Zeke's willingness to holdout?

Regardless, Jerry has the leverage. Zeke has very little. He can either show up while under contract or be fined a hefty sum per the CBA.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It has nothing to do with how much money Jerry has.