An Argument In Zeke's Favor For A New Contract

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
The argument isn't that you can get a Zeke in the 5th and 6th round often, the argument is that Zeke doesn't make a big enough difference game to game to justify spending the high draft pick or giving him a major second contract.

It's not just Zeke, it's really RBs in general. By every statistical measure, Barkley had a better year than Zeke last year - what was the Giants record? With Zeke in the first half of 2018, what was our record before we brought in help?

Giants had a bad record because they had a bad QB. You could say before Cooper was not like we would confuse Dak with Dan Marino and the D knew between the QB and receivers who to stop.

JBS

Reaction score
I think anyone dead set on taking a great cap hit for a RB is dumb. I expect Zeke to push for a second contract sooner rather than later, and I expect, since everyone blows smoke up his butt (including the front office), he'll want to be the highest paid RB in the league.

The simple fact that it looks like he lost some speed already is not good.

Fair assessment if you are talking about an average RB..that's not Zeke..and he has plenty left for a second contract..beyond that, sure, let him walk

JBS

Reaction score
The argument isn't that you can get a Zeke in the 5th and 6th round often, the argument is that Zeke doesn't make a big enough difference game to game to justify spending the high draft pick or giving him a major second contract.

It's not just Zeke, it's really RBs in general. By every statistical measure, Barkley had a better year than Zeke last year - what was the Giants record? With Zeke in the first half of 2018, what was our record before we brought in help?

Zeke doesn't make a big enough impact??? Hahaha..he's literally the biggest difference maker on the entire roster

Maxmadden

Reaction score
You are changing the subject to be about Jerry now instead of Zeke. So what exactly are you trying to argue? Jerry's willingness to pay Zeke? Or Zeke's willingness to holdout?

Regardless, Jerry has the leverage. Zeke has very little. He can either show up while under contract or be fined a hefty sum per the CBA.
I think we are still talking about leverage?

Zeke will get his money whether it is guaranteed in Franchise tag money or contract money. I say pay him now, get the best years out him and move on so we can cut him if he falls off.

Uncle Jerry is in the final years of his contract with death. He believes we have a shot at a Superbowl this year.

Tell me, who has the real leverage?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Giants had a bad record because they had a bad QB. You could say before Cooper was not like we would confuse Dak with Dan Marino and the D knew between the QB and receivers who to stop.

....so it's a QB league? An RB having a statistically great season didn't add up in the W column. That's the point.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Fair assessment if you are talking about an average RB..that's not Zeke..and he has plenty left for a second contract..beyond that, sure, let him walk

Zeke has no obligation to play out his contract the way WE want him to - "plenty left" could simply be this season.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
No, this isn't how it works. I continue hearing that Zeke is what makes this offense move - if this was the case, we wouldn't have needed to bring in additional help to jumpstart our offense. (Zeke and Cooper were still part of our first shutout since 2003)

Being a run first team is a bit different than a single player being THE reason our offense moves. That clearly wasn't the case, Zeke is a very talented back, a great back - but he simply isn't a generational guy that carries a team on his back.
I totally agree with you but he is the closest thing we got. We don't have Aikman or Irvin, we have a solid OL but who is the super star?

JBS

Reaction score
Zeke has no obligation to play out his contract the way WE want him to - "plenty left" could simply be this season.

Whether he has an obligation or not means nothing..let's talk Facts..he's not holding out. That's evident from his actions right now..that's a fact

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Whether he has an obligation or not means nothing..let's talk Facts..he's not holding out. That's evident from his actions right now..that's a fact

He's not holding out because it would be costly to at this point - you said he has plenty of time left, he doesn't. He has this season, we can pick up the option, but at this point he could easily hold out and push for a contract - and I would expect him to do so. You think Zeke and his agent aren't aware of RB shelf lives? They aren't going to wait around until his sixth season in the league for a second contract. It's not happening.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I totally agree with you but he is the closest thing we got. We don't have Aikman or Irvin, we have a solid OL but who is the super star?
closest thing you are right in Emmitt having Troy and Irving plus Jimmy Johnson and no salary cap FA structure like we have now, add about 6 was it other HOF players on the team..name the shoe in HOF on this team right now? they worked together as a unit, zeke is every bit the talent if not better than Emmitt individually, he just doesnt have the offense, coach, amongst other things to get those TDS in short yardage the way Irving got ot inside the 5 Smith took it in.. SL and JG so many times throwing or using trickery..

He is a generational back regardless what some are trying to argue he is not.. did AP win a SB? did he CARRY MN to greatness? come on thats bad argument, SB are won by great teams not great individuals we all know this, its why Elway didnt get his until what a RB name TD came in and put them over the top, Dan didnt get one either..many great generational HOF players have ZERO rings, other have them because of a team effort..Its like Saying Jwitt wasn't A GENERATIONAL TE and didnt carry teams on his back, come on man!! remind me of soe other during his time other then Gronk, Gonzalez and Chargers TE? all headed to HOF no rings..

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
....so it's a QB league? An RB having a statistically great season didn't add up in the W column. That's the point.

No the point being we had no receivers before Cooper or QB that could loosen up the D, the DL were making sure that the one weapon we had didnt go off.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
closest thing you are right in Emmitt having Troy and Irving plus Jimmy Johnson and no salary cap FA structure like we have now, add about 6 was it other HOF players on the team..name the shoe in HOF on this team right now? they worked together as a unit, zeke is every bit the talent if not better than Emmitt individually, he just doesnt have the offense, coach, amongst other things to get those TDS in short yardage the way Irving got ot inside the 5 Smith took it in.. SL and JG so many times throwing or using trickery..

He is a generational back regardless what some are trying to argue he is not.. did AP win a SB? did he CARRY MN to greatness? come on thats bad argument, SB are won by great teams not great individuals we all know this, its why Elway didnt get his until what a RB name TD came in and put them over the top, Dan didnt get one either..many great generational HOF players have ZERO rings, other have them because of a team effort..Its like Saying Jwitt wasn't A GENERATIONAL TE and didnt carry teams on his back, come on man!! remind me of soe other during his time other then Gronk, Gonzalez and Chargers TE? all headed to HOF no rings..

Peterson dragged the Vikings to the playoffs in 2008 and 2012 and helped old man Favre to the championship in 2009. And Peterson NEVER had the type of line Zeke had in 2016.

Nothing about Zeke is "generational talent". He's a great back in a league that craps them out.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Peterson dragged the Vikings to the playoffs in 2012 and helped old man Favre to the championship in 2009. And Peterson NEVER had the type of line Zeke had in 2016.

Nothing about Zeke is "generational talent". He's a great back in a league that craps them out.
No he didnt Farve came they had one of the best WR cores ever and thats why they went to the NFCCG your memory is flawed..oh and didnt they get blow that game and not make the SB? he has zero rings thats my point..we helped him out of memory serves me right when Carr the 50mil man couldn't cover his head with ahat!! our D sucked

mattjames2010

Reaction score
No he didnt Farve came they had one of the best WR cores ever and thats why they went to the NFCCG your memory is flawed..oh and didnt they get blown out and not make the SB? he has zero rings thats my point..we helped him out of memory serves me right when Carr the 50mil man couldn't cover his head with ahat!! our D sucked

LOL Peterson literally was THE offense in 2008 when they had rotating QBs and Tarvaris Jackson hahahahahaha But yes, I'm sure Jackson and Ponder were big reasons for the Vikings regular season success in 08 and 12.

And be more coherent - blown out? By whom? No, they didn't get "blown out" in the championship game, it came down to the 4th quarter. I am one of the few here that argues, consistently, that RBs don't win you championships - but the simple fact is, Peterson was a generational talent that elevated bad teams to playoff teams.

blueblood70

Reaction score
LOL Peterson literally was THE offense in 2008 when they had rotating QBs and Tarvaris Jackson hahahahahaha But yes, I'm sure Jackson and Ponder were big reasons for the Vikings regular season success in 08 and 12.

And be more coherent - blown out? By whom? No, they didn't get "blown out" in the championship game, it came down to the 4th quarter. I am one of the few here that argues, consistently, that RBs don't win you championships - but the simple fact is, Peterson was a generational talent that elevated bad teams to playoff teams.
I meant BLEW IT, they were so great AP didnt get them to the SB, he has NO RINGS, guess he sucks..

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Peterson dragged the Vikings to the playoffs in 2008 and 2012 and helped old man Favre to the championship in 2009. And Peterson NEVER had the type of line Zeke had in 2016.

So we win the NFC East 2 years out of 3 and the one year we don't he missed 6 games?