An Elite defense with Dak could be enough

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The one thing the Cowboys have missed this era . Or shouid I say the biggest thing they’ve missed is building a top 5 caliber Elite defense .

Some fans forget even with HOF QB’s like Roger and Troy we had top caliber defenses . Doomsday was our motto.

But in this Cap era it’s difficult to build both . Most either have an Elite QB or Elite Defense . The Cowboys have not had either this era.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Even when the Elite QB’s this era have had more success it was usually with a better defense .

I’m not sure why this hasn’t been a bigger priority for our franchise this era. The only top defense we have had this era was in 2003 which took Quincy to the playoffs .

Acceptablename

Reaction score
The one thing the Cowboys have missed this era . Or shouid I say the biggest thing they’ve missed is building a top 5 caliber Elite defense .

Some fans forget even with HOF QB’s like Roger and Troy we had top caliber defenses . Doomsday was our motto.

But in this Cap era it’s difficult to build both . Most either have an Elite QB or Elite Defense . The Cowboys have not had either this era.
I would put oline above everything. You might have assumed oline but after last year I cant

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What do you consider "Elite" at the QB position? Give us some names...

What did Aaron Rodgers accomplish last season, especially during the playoffs? Isn't he considered "Elite" by most?

How about Russell Wilson? Isn't he another QB who has been considered "Elite"? What has happened to him the past several seasons?

What about Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray or DeShaun Watson? Aren't they considered "Elite" and better than Dak by many, especially by the anti-Dakkers in this forum? What happened to those "Elite" QBs?

How about Tom Brady? Isn't he the picture perfection of what one should consider "Elite"? Isn't he the G.O.A.T.??? What happened to him last season during the playoffs?

My point is that Dak is easily a Top 10 QB. Dak definitely has the talent to help lead the Cowboys farther into the playoffs and possibly to any championship game, but like any other so-called "Elite" QB, they need an "Elite" Offense and/or Defense, plus coaching, to help lead these "Elite" QBs to any championship game or Super Bowl.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What do you consider "Elite" at the QB position? Give us some names...

What did Aaron Rodgers accomplish last season, especially during the playoffs? Isn't he considered "Elite" by most?

How about Russell Wilson? Isn't he another QB who has been considered "Elite"? What has happened to him the past several seasons?

What about Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray or DeShaun Watson? Aren't they considered "Elite" and better than Dak by many, especially by the anti-Dakkers in this forum? What happened to those "Elite" QBs?

Hoe about Tom Brady? Isn't he the picture perfection of what one should consider "Elite"? Isn't he the G.O.A.T.??? What happened to him last season during the playoffs?

My point is that Dak is easily a Top 10 QB. Dak definitely has the talent to help lead the Cowboys farther into the playoffs and possibly to any championship game, but like any other so-called "Elite" QB, they need an "Elite" Offense and/or Defense, plus coaching, to help lead these "Elite" QBs to any championship game or Super Bowl.
You homers only fuel the vitriol from trolls. Just like in Romo days. Tough to tell which is worse sometimes .

Elite is HOF caliber.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Quinn was the ideal pick by McCarthy to get Dallas's D back in the top 5. Even IF the Oline is better, what good will any of this be when you have an offensive coordinator whose been exposed the most last season heading into his 4th. It's also a proven fact Foles, Jimmy G, Stafford are far from elite.

But they've all been in the Superbowl. Again, it's the coaching staff that's behind each of these quarterbacks. How many Superbowls has Wodgers won in his 16 year tenure? ONE, yet yet he's considered elite?! :lmao2:

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Quinn was the ideal pick by McCarthy to get Dallas's D back in the top 5. Even IF the Oline is better, what good will any of this be when you have an offensive coordinator whose been exposed the most last season heading into his 4th.
If we can’t pressure Elite QB’s and stop the run in the playoffs , we are dead meat.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I just tore your thread apart, but you don't like it.

Instead of handling it like a grown up, you had a pity name-labeling party. Typical Greg.
I’m trying to bash the trolls agenda but you can’t handle Dak isn’t an Elite QB which is fueling their vitriol.

I didn’t say Dak wasn’t top 10. Don’t even care . But he isn’t HOF which is my definition of Elite.

And can’t treat the childish homers and trolls like adults.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

An elite defense can be enough with so-so quarterbacks (see Trent Dilfer and Baltimore, Jim McMahon and Chicago, etc.). I think with Dak (much like with Romo), we just need a top 10 defense and we can overcome other obstacles.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
An elite defense can be enough with so-so quarterbacks (see Trent Dilfer and Baltimore, Jim McMahon and Chicago, etc.). I think with Dak (much like with Romo), we just need a top 10 defense and we can overcome other obstacles.
That would be a good start. The closer it is to Elite the better our chances are as Dak could be closer to Top 10 than average . No doubt they could compliment each other. Balance is the key.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Fully agree. Even this year SB teams did so with a lot of help from their defense. I don't think you have to be an elite defense or an elite offense but I do think you have to be good at both, neither offense or defense can be a liability . If you are with in top 10 offense and defense I think you have a good chance to challenging for a SB

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I’m trying to bash the trolls agenda but you can’t handle Dak isn’t an Elite QB which is fueling their vitriol.

I didn’t say Dak wasn’t top 10. Don’t even care . But he isn’t HOF which is my definition of Elite.

And can’t treat the childish homers and trolls like adults.
Ok, understood. I agree. The way I took your opening post is how an "Elite" QB is needed if you don't have an "Elite" Defense or Offense. I don't agree with that. Having a Top 10 QB along with a Top 10 Offense AND Defense should definitely be more than enough to reach a conference championship game or a Super Bowl...in my opinion.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That would be a good start. The closer it is to Elite the better our chances are as Dak could be closer to Top 10 than average . No doubt they could compliment each other. Balance is the key.

Right. It all plays a part. The better you are at running the ball, the less you have to pass and the more your defense doesn't have to be on the field. We put way too much emphasis on the quarterback position. Obviously, you want to have a good one, but if your running game is stout and your defense is stout, not near as much is put on the quarterback's shoulders.

I still wonder what our fans would think of Troy Aikman if we had not had one of the best running games and defenses in the league. Aikman would have been the same quality QB that he was then, but the perspective would be that he wasn't good enough. We may have still won a few playoff games with him as QB, but does anyone really believe we would have been able to beat San Fran to reach the Super Bowl or even Favre and Green Bay in the other NFC title game?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ok, understood. I agree. The way I took your opening post is how an "Elite" QB is needed if you don't have an "Elite" Defense or Offense. I don't agree with that. Having a Top 10 QB along with a Top 10 Offense AND Defense should definitely be more than enough to reach a conference championship game or a Super Bowl...in my opinion.
Actually my intent was the opposite . If you don’t have an Elite QB you need an Elite defense.