An Elite defense with Dak could be enough

Diehardblues

Reaction score
its going to be tough even with an elite defense if your offense only manages 17 points in the playoffs.
An Elite defense could set up the offense for more points or score themselves.

Not sure why Elite defenses aren’t more attractive this era?

Flamma

Reaction score
The one thing the Cowboys have missed this era . Or shouid I say the biggest thing they’ve missed is building a top 5 caliber Elite defense .

Some fans forget even with HOF QB’s like Roger and Troy we had top caliber defenses . Doomsday was our motto.

But in this Cap era it’s difficult to build both . Most either have an Elite QB or Elite Defense . The Cowboys have not had either this era.

If Dallas had an elite defense they could definitely win it all. But an elite D is hard to come by.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
What do you consider "Elite" at the QB position? Give us some names...

What did Aaron Rodgers accomplish last season, especially during the playoffs? Isn't he considered "Elite" by most?

How about Russell Wilson? Isn't he another QB who has been considered "Elite"? What has happened to him the past several seasons?

What about Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray or DeShaun Watson? Aren't they considered "Elite" and better than Dak by many, especially by the anti-Dakkers in this forum? What happened to those "Elite" QBs?

How about Tom Brady? Isn't he the picture perfection of what one should consider "Elite"? Isn't he the G.O.A.T.??? What happened to him last season during the playoffs?

My point is that Dak is easily a Top 10 QB. Dak definitely has the talent to help lead the Cowboys farther into the playoffs and possibly to any championship game, but like any other so-called "Elite" QB, they need an "Elite" Offense and/or Defense, plus coaching, to help lead these "Elite" QBs to any championship game or Super Bowl.

Are you bashing Rodgers for one season? What has Dak done in his whole career?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Which is the reality for most teams in the NFL. That a great defense is needed without an Elite QB,
I'm proud of you.

You skipped good and great and went straight to needing an elite defense when Dak is your QB.

I agree with this.

I too believe that Dak can be Trent Dilfer'd to a Super Bowl victory.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Now you're being hypocritical.

You consider a Top 10 Defense as being "Elite", but you don't consider Top 10 QB in Dak as being "Elite"???????????????????

I didn’t say top ten was Elite. I said a top 5-10 defense would get us closer. Wow.

This is why these Trolls have a life in this forum.

Maybe the Homers are the bigger problem not the Trolls?

Praxit

Reaction score
..have to agree here. This D is the best we've had in number of years. It can only get better. Dak, on other hand just needs to play above avg, no superstar tandems or personas.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm proud of you.

You skipped good and great and went straight to needing an elite defense when Dak is your QB.

I agree with this.

I too believe that Dak can be Trent Dilfer'd to a Super Bowl victory.
Ultimately balance is needed . The closer we get to Elite on defense the deeper we will go.

The bigger point is in this cap era with rare exception to win a championship need an Elite QB or defense . We have had neither since our last championship .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
..have to agree here. This D is the best we've had in number of years. It can only get better. Dak, on other hand just needs to play above avg, no superstar tandems or personas.
But it’s still a bottom half defense . Without turnovers last year bottom tier like year before and much of this era .

Praxit

Reaction score
But it’s still a bottom half defense . Without turnovers last year bottom tier like year before and much of this era .
..good points, forgot about the turnovers being key stat. Hopefully, Diggs wont be a fluke and continue his menace. ;)..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
..good points, forgot about the turnovers being key stat. Hopefully, Diggs wont be a fluke and continue his menace. ;)..
Our defense was much improved last year. Closer to the middle than bottom of the heap .

But like in the playoffs when you face the Elite QB’s much cause havoc and put pressure along with stopping the run. We did neither. And why relied on heroics of our QB and offense.

Reactions: G2

RonnieT24

Reaction score
An Elite defense could set up the offense for more points or score themselves.

Not sure why Elite defenses aren’t more attractive this era?

Because the NFL is trying to cater to the fantasy football nerds. I mean they post fantasy points for players in stadium during the game these days. Not enough fantasy stat measurables on defense and that generation is too dense to enjoy a good hard fought defensive battle.

RS12

Reaction score
If you are talking are talking defenses that smother opponents such as 85 Bears, 76 Steelers, 2000 Ravens, those only come along once a decade or so. I dont see it in the current defense, I think they still need to show they stuff the run, and even then wouldnt be in the class above.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quinn was the ideal pick by McCarthy to get Dallas's D back in the top 5. Even IF the Oline is better, what good will any of this be when you have an offensive coordinator whose been exposed the most last season heading into his 4th. It's also a proven fact Foles, Jimmy G, Stafford are far from elite.

But they've all been in the Superbowl. Again, it's the coaching staff that's behind each of these quarterbacks. How many Superbowls has Wodgers won in his 16 year tenure? ONE, yet yet he's considered elite?! :lmao2:
I don't recall him saying being "elite" guarantees multiple Super Bowl wins. That's a standard that isn't realistic - winning the Suoer Bowl just isn't that easy. Even so, one thing you do see with elite QB's is consistency in getting to the playoffs. Rodgers, for example, has been to the playoffs 11 times in his 13 years as a starter, and 5 of those times he got at least to the Conference championship. Winning the Super Bowl is the goal, but it takes getting to, and being competetive in the playoffs to have a chance.

Last edited: