Analyzing Bledsoe.

blindzebra

Reaction score
jobberone said:
I don't have a problem with that if Bledsoe doesn't play much better than Romo or Henson. I think he will make better reads and produce a better offensive attack than the younger guys and we will have a decent or better O this year.

Two things:

What are his lifetime averages?

Is he our long term answer?

Bledsoe is an average NFL QB, who even in his best years was not great, and he's a bandaid and nothing more.

I say if we are gonna have growing pains on defense anyway, why not have all the growing pains now and build that nucleus on both sides of the ball?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Well, you'll get your chance to see how well they play this TC. All things being equal you will see who is the better QB. And you probably realize that either Romo or Henson will have to clearly beat him to win the job.

The best chance for Henson or Romo to win the job IMO will be if Bledsoe gets hurt and one of them get thrown into the river. If they play do well to replace then you'll have your answer.

One way or another you'll have a starting QB come game one. Better to have an agenda where that QB is the one who gives us the best chance to win. Hopefully it'll be a dog fight between three good QBs. If we only have one decent QB then the biggest dog fight will be every Sunday with our opponents.

kartr

Reaction score
Bledsoe had every opportunity in Buffalo to prove he still had it and he failed miserably. His best year was last year and his numbers were just average for a qb in his fourth year and way below average for a 12 year veteran who was a first round draft pick. Interesting stuff that Buffalo let him go and didn't draft a OL high and make a big free agent signing of an OL. They have said that they know their line is not great, but it is better than Bledsoe is. They've also said that they will be able to open up their offense with Losman's mobility. Also, the reports are that Losman had a very poor line in college, a third down in Mewelde Moore and average receivers, yet Losman was a star.

As to Carter, whatever weaknesses he had in '03, he had only had 15 starts prior to '03, practically a rookie as far as experience. In fact, Parcells said he regarded Carter as a rookie, yet he had the confidence in Carter to start him, when he could have signed Brian Griese instead or Jake Delhomme. Parcells was vindicated when Carter won enough games to get us to the playoffs, yes he got us to the playoffs, including beating Delhomme in the regular season throwing for 254 yards and 2 tds with no running game. Yes we did lose to them in the playoffs, but on the road, and again with no running game and our defense played much worse than Carter did. The game plan was to attack Carter and ignore Hambrick, so we had no balance on offense. So Carolina played good defense and attacked Newman and turned Steven Davis loose. No qb can do it alone,especially in just their 3rd year, yet people continue to attack Carter as he alone was responsible for our offensive struggles all the while ignoring that he set personal and Cowboy records for passing yards in one season and tied Aikman's third highest td pass total with 17. Aikman at least had a hall of fame quality running back and receiver and veteran TE and top notch offensive line stocked with pro bowlers. The constant jibes at a player that is no longer on the team betrays the fact he is on your minds as much as his supporters. I don't mind the objective criticisms, but you give other qb's the benefit of the doubt when done nothing to deserve it(see Henson) and make excuses for others(Bledsoe) when they've been playing for 12 years, yet you rail on Carter who had very limited experience and an even more limited supporting cast and somehow think your being objective.

blindzebra

Reaction score
jobberone said:
Well, you'll get your chance to see how well they play this TC. All things being equal you will see who is the better QB. And you probably realize that either Romo or Henson will have to clearly beat him to win the job.

The best chance for Henson or Romo to win the job IMO will be if Bledsoe gets hurt and one of them get thrown into the river. If they play do well to replace then you'll have your answer.

One way or another you'll have a starting QB come game one. Better to have an agenda where that QB is the one who gives us the best chance to win. Hopefully it'll be a dog fight between three good QBs. If we only have one decent QB then the biggest dog fight will be every Sunday with our opponents.

I agree about it taking an injury.

Some of Parcells moves scare me. His too old to lose might hurt us long term.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
He's gonna want to throw 50 times a contest tho. 48 of them long. ;)

That's exactly his MO... and that's exactly why I greatly despise the guy as a QB. His team can be down 7 points and the offense can be taking 3 & outs all afternoon but there is doofus #11 who keeps looking for the long pass when the defense just picket-fences 20 yards down the field and giving him everything 10 yards and in.

blindzebra

Reaction score
kartr said:
Bledsoe had every opportunity in Buffalo to prove he still had it and he failed miserably. His best year was last year and his numbers were just average for a qb in his fourth year and way below average for a 12 year veteran who was a first round draft pick. Interesting stuff that Buffalo let him go and didn't draft a OL high and make a big free agent signing of an OL. They have said that they know their line is not great, but it is better than Bledsoe is. They've also said that they will be able to open up their offense with Losman's mobility. Also, the reports are that Losman had a very poor line in college, a third down in Mewelde Moore and average receivers, yet Losman was a star.

As to Carter, whatever weaknesses he had in '03, he had only had 15 starts prior to '03, practically a rookie as far as experience. In fact, Parcells said he regarded Carter as a rookie, yet he had the confidence in Carter to start him, when he could have signed Brian Griese instead or Jake Delhomme. Parcells was vindicated when Carter won enough games to get us to the playoffs, yes he got us to the playoffs, including beating Delhomme in the regular season throwing for 254 yards and 2 tds with no running game. Yes we did lose to them in the playoffs, but on the road, and again with no running game and our defense played much worse than Carter did. The game plan was to attack Carter and ignore Hambrick, so we had no balance on offense. So Carolina played good defense and attacked Newman and turned Steven Davis loose. No qb can do it alone,especially in just their 3rd year, yet people continue to attack Carter as he alone was responsible for our offensive struggles all the while ignoring that he set personal and Cowboy records for passing yards in one season and tied Aikman's third highest td pass total with 17. Aikman at least had a hall of fame quality running back and receiver and veteran TE and top notch offensive line stocked with pro bowlers. The constant jibes at a player that is no longer on the team betrays the fact he is on your minds as much as his supporters. I don't mind the objective criticisms, but you give other qb's the benefit of the doubt when done nothing to deserve it(see Henson) and make excuses for others(Bledsoe) when they've been playing for 12 years, yet you rail on Carter who had very limited experience and an even more limited supporting cast and somehow think your being objective.

The one-trick pony rides again.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Props to Jterrel and the others that posted in this thread. Some insightful takes. I wonder if anything as thoughtful will be written once the season starts.:) More likely more bomb throwing than anything. In any case here's mine:

I agree with Winicki that 3000 yards is probably about right. This offense will be well balanced.

I realize I'm in the minority on this but I want Bledsoe to hold the ball some. Hear me out. Last year on average Bledsoe released the ball faster than any QB in the NFL. How do I know this? Quite simply his percentage of attempts under 10 yards was the highest in the league. And this wasn't because he was checking down a lot, it was by design. There are only 2 things you can do with an immobile QB, have him get rid of it quick or protect him very well. Last year after the 4th game, at which point Buffalo was on target to set the all time record for sacks allowed, the Bills decided they couldn't protect Bledsoe so they went to a 3 second release or max protect and throw deep offense. The deep throw plays only amounted to a few attempts per game and sometimes Bledsoe didn't even have time to let it go even with max protection.

I don't believe that's going to be the case in Dallas. RT not withstanding I think Dallas has the makings of a very good OL and they will be able to to protect Bledsoe from his major weakness, the blitz up the middle, and allow him to exploit his major strength, his deep throwing ability. Because of this I expect Bledsoe to have a solid season. At 3000 yards passing he won't be anywhere near the league leaders, but he will hit enough big plays to make the run/play action offense effective. I expect a passer rating over 80. In a division in which Dallas faces 2 top 5 defenses twice that could be enough for a playoff spot if the D improves as expected.

Cowchips

Reaction score
Drew has a bad year and tossed 20 td's last year. Drew's worst is better than Q's best. Parcells knows how to manage Drew..he will be fine next year.

How can people talk about a guy who will be top 10 all-time in passing yards and td's like he is way below average??

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Cowchips said:
Drew has a bad year and tossed 20 td's last year. Drew's worst is better than Q's best. Parcells knows how to manage Drew..he will be fine next year.

How can people talk about a guy who will be top 10 all-time in passing yards and td's like he is way below average??

I think most consider him average at best right now.

At least I do.

What he did three years ago does not interest me. It is completely irrelevant. It was not last year, or even the year before. He is declining, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. And what he was declining from was not elite. So above average becomes, well, average.

Why that is even a point for anyone right now I don't know. I guess it goes back to the eternal question, he just needs help. Well, we have some help. But not enough for him to be above average, like some are expecting.

Emmitt Smith was a great back three years ago and is the greatest ever. That does not mean I would be overly excited to have him as my starter or even consider him above average.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I think most consider him average at best right now.

At least I do.

What he did three years ago does not interest me. It is completely irrelevant. It was not last year, or even the year before. He is declining, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. And what he was declining from was not elite. So above average becomes, well, average.

Why that is even a point for anyone right now I don't know. I guess it goes back to the eternal question, he just needs help. Well, we have some help. But not enough for him to be above average, like some are expecting.

Emmitt Smith was a great back three years ago and is the greatest ever. That does not mean I would be overly excited to have him as my starter or even consider him above average.

This is why the play the games, everyone has opinions but the only thing that will matter will be the results. None of us know for sure how Bledsoe will do this year but we will soon find out.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowchips said:

OK Cowpie the answer is pretty straightforward...

The fact is when just looking at his overall quarterback rating Drew Bledsoe can be "good" on occasion but for the most part is average at best. His quarterback ratings number bare that out. He's achieved top-10 numbers in some categories due to longevity and not necessarily because he's an all-time great.

Here's a quick question. Even though he's achieved top-10 numbers in some categories is he a "Hall of Famer"? I would think virtually all fans that watch the sport, excluding Tunawater, Nors and BNA, would say "no". Now think about that for a moment. Here's a guy that has rung up some impressive numbers in some categories and he's not even close to being a "Hall-of-Famer".

The final point is, and I've asked this before, how many quarterbacks of Bledsoe reputation end up losing their starting job on two different ball clubs before the age of 33? Other than Warren Moon there are damn few. So what does that tell you?

It tells you the guy is just above average... but not much more than that and in my heart the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys should have more upside potential that what Drew Bledsoe brings to the table.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
OK Cowpie the answer is pretty straightforward...

The fact is when just looking at his overall quarterback rating Drew Bledsoe can be "good" on occasion but for the most part is average at best. His quarterback ratings number bare that out. He's achieved top-10 numbers in some categories due to longevity and not necessarily because he's an all-time great.

Here's a quick question. Even though he's achieved top-10 numbers in some categories is he a "Hall of Famer"? I would think virtually all fans that watch the sport, excluding Tunawater, Nors and BNA, would say "no". Now think about that for a moment. Here's a guy that has rung up some impressive numbers in some categories and he's not even close to being a "Hall-of-Famer".

The final point is, and I've asked this before, how many quarterbacks of Bledsoe reputation end up losing their starting job on two different ball clubs before the age of 33? Other than Warren Moon there are damn few. So what does that tell you?

It tells you the guy is just above average... but not much more than that and in my heart the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys should have more upside potential that what Drew Bledsoe brings to the table.

Hater.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
kartr said:

Stop with the QC stuff, please. We all know what one another thing about QC. QC had as much opportunity or more then any QB in QB in simular circumstances. I do not want to go into the break down of the Carolina/Dallas thing but I will say that if memory serves, Delhomme didn't play in the first Dallas win.

It is pointless to paint Bledsoe as a failure before he's ever taken a snap in a Cowboy uni and Carter as a mistreated step child in his time here. Carter is gone and it's doubtful he'll be back. Bledsoe is the starter and will be till something changes that.

That's it.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY said:
Stop with the QC stuff, please. We all know what one another thing about QC. QC had as much opportunity or more then any QB in QB in simular circumstances. I do not want to go into the break down of the Carolina/Dallas thing but I will say that if memory serves, Delhomme didn't play in the first Dallas win.

It is pointless to paint Bledsoe as a failure before he's ever taken a snap in a Cowboy uni and Carter as a mistreated step child in his time here. Carter is gone and it's doubtful he'll be back. Bledsoe is the starter and will be till something changes that.

That's it.

Afternoon ABQ... you're firing on 4 cylinders I see. :D

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Afternoon ABQ... you're firing on 4 cylinders I see. :D

Hey Mike,

How are you today?

Yeah, kinda working my way up to a Jag 12 Cylinder high performance type day. Couple more cups of coffee and I should just about be there.

On a different note, LTN made a very good post I thought. She really does post some well thought out opinions on occasion.

Kudos to you LTN.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY said:
Hey Mike,

How are you today?

Yeah, kinda working my way up to a Jag 12 Cylinder high performance type day. Couple more cups of coffee and I should just about be there.

On a different note, LTN made a very good post I thought. She really does post some well thought out opinions on occasion.

Kudos to you LTN.

I'm good and you?

Jag 12 huh?

Well we all need goals.

Yep. Barb does a nice job huh? The quality of her posts go up even more after I instigate just a little. :D

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I'm good and you?

Jag 12 huh?

Well we all need goals.

Yep. Barb does a nice job huh? The quality of her posts go up even more after I instigate just a little. :D

LOL... They still use 12 Cylinders in those?

I've notice the fever pitch heights that you manage to inspire from LTN. You guys definatly have that whole Senergy thing going on.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY said:
LOL... They still use 12 Cylinders in those?

I've notice the fever pitch heights that you manage to inspire from LTN. You guys definatly have that whole Senergy thing going on.

LOL!

Yeah... I manage to do that with a lot of woman... too bad most of the time it's the result of being pissed off as much as anything! :D

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
LOL!

Yeah... I manage to do that with a lot of woman... too bad most of the time it's the result of being pissed off as much as anything! :D

I know the feeling Michael.