And with the 18th pick the Cowboys pick....

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Hostile said:
If we stay at 18, I expect us to take Manny Lawson. That's if we stay at 18 and he's there.

If he's gone, we will try to move down. I still think Bobby Carpenter is the guy in a move down.

We won't go OL in the 1st. They believe good O-linemen will be available in the 2nd and 3rd if we go that route.

Same with Free Safety. They are not going to put more 1st round money in the an already expensive secondary, but they will address FS. Maybe with a vet. Most likely a 2nd or 3rd.

Wr is a possibility only because of age of our starting 2 WRs. This draft is not WR deep however. That is why I say unless the top 2 are there, we aren't looking WR.

I'd love to get Haloti Ngata at NT. He won't be there. Pass on Gabe Watson at 18. Getting him in a trade down isn't a bad idea. We were looking at Rod Wright at the Texas pro day workout. If he's there in the 2nd, which is possible, don't be shocked if we take him or Jonathon Scott. Wright is more likely though.
:hammer:

BlueStar II

Reaction score
If...we can find a team who wants to trade into our 18th spot, it's a done deal, because Parcells will be looking for extra picks.

K-Mart

Reaction score
Hostile said:
If we stay at 18, I expect us to take Manny Lawson. That's if we stay at 18 and he's there.

If he's gone, we will try to move down. I still think Bobby Carpenter is the guy in a move down.

We won't go OL in the 1st. They believe good O-linemen will be available in the 2nd and 3rd if we go that route.

Same with Free Safety. They are not going to put more 1st round money in the an already expensive secondary, but they will address FS. Maybe with a vet. Most likely a 2nd or 3rd.

Wr is a possibility only because of age of our starting 2 WRs. This draft is not WR deep however. That is why I say unless the top 2 are there, we aren't looking WR.

I'd love to get Haloti Ngata at NT. He won't be there. Pass on Gabe Watson at 18. Getting him in a trade down isn't a bad idea. We were looking at Rod Wright at the Texas pro day workout. If he's there in the 2nd, which is possible, don't be shocked if we take him or Jonathon Scott. Wright is more likely though.

I would agree but by drafting Lawson in the 1st we are adding 1st round $$ to a DL that is already expensive with Ware, Fergi, and Spears. I think we have a chance, and I understand $$ is a factor, to get the best player available at our weakest spot with Williams.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
And who wants to trade up? The Jets? Pitt? Maybe if the Steelers get excited about Bobby Carpenter and want to snag him before San Diego or New England can.

In general who at 18 would garner such interest that a playoff team would want to drop a 3rd round pick for him? If that player were so interesting, wouldn't there be a storng chance that we'd take him ourselves?

I think the draft gets weak after pick 15 and picks 16-35 have very similar grades. That makes picks 18 and 49 almost equivalent to picks 29 and 60-- except we have to pay more. There isn't going to be much of a market for a trade down. The one team with such interest, Denver, has already moved up to 15 to insure they get their new WR/RB.

Indy. in my mind . They have done nothing to address the loss of E. James in free-agency so far and it looks like they won't . With only L. White , D. Williams , and L. Maroney worthy of a first round pick , the pickings are slim . My feeling is that DeAngelo Williams is going to slip , and if he makes it to #18 I'd be calling the Colts .

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
K-Mart said:
I would agree but by drafting Lawson in the 1st we are adding 1st round $$ to a DL that is already expensive with Ware, Fergi, and Spears. I think we have a chance, and I understand $$ is a factor, to get the best player available at our weakest spot with Williams.
In a 3-4 scheme the most important elements are the LBs. Manny Lawson would be used at SOLB most likely. That is where he projects. He would be a bookend to Ware. His measurables, like Ware's, are off the charts. Solidifying LB is more crucial than FS at this point. IMO.

I've been preaching defense and LB in particular since the season ended. Not likely to change my mind now.

I prefer Carpenter who I think is ready now, but I don't deny Lawson is potentially phenomenal.

K-Mart

Reaction score
Hostile said:
In a 3-4 scheme the most important elements are the LBs. Manny Lawson would be used at SOLB most likely. That is where he projects. He would be a bookend to Ware. His measurables, like Ware's, are off the charts. Solidifying LB is more crucial than FS at this point. IMO.

I've been preaching defense and LB in particular since the season ended. Not likely to change my mind now.

I prefer Carpenter who I think is ready now, but I don't deny Lawson is potentially phenomenal.

Agree to disagree. I am not crazy about Lawson. That dog just can't hunt. I like his measurables but something just turns me off. We need Roy up front where he is best. I'm sure we can agree on that. The only way to do so is get a solid FS who actually has a head on his shoulders and can make plays all over the field. Roy starts making more plays up front and people start chirping again that he is the best S in the league. Not saying OLB isn't a nice choice in Rd. #1 but i'll take Williams over Lawson or Carpenter because of the overall scheme of things. We do also have a high 2nd round LB that hasn't even started his career. If Burnett can stay healthy............ I do agree that a stud LB core is very important but to add a guy of Williams talent at FS, imo, is our best option. I don't know why I'm pushing him because Parcells will never draft him at #18. Lawson will be a cowboy.

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:

you mean like petterman and rogers?

We need to draft a tackle high and be done with it. That said, we wont, which is a shame because we'll get an extra 3rd and Parcells will waste it on a fringe player.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Idealy, I would like to do this.

Trade down out of the first round and obtain an additional 2nd and 3rd in the 2006 draft and a 1st in the 2007 draft.

With those two 2nds, Eric Winston (LT which would free up a move of Adams to RT) and Nick Mangold (which would allow us to solidy the center position, and get off the dime with Johnson and Gurode).

With the two thirds, I'd like to see us take Watkins or Griffin (the free safety we've needed for so long and a guy at the position that could cover a back, TE, slot or whatever if singled up) and Thomas Howard (an OLB that has the physical skills to play in coverage or rush the QB. Would probably translate better into a 43 but is big enough to grow into the position).

With the 1st in 2007, I'd like to see us package the two firsts and move up to get one Brady Quinn.

I would consider that a very succesful draft if we were able to do it

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Idealy, I would like to do this.

Trade down out of the first round and obtain an additional 2nd and 3rd in the 2006 draft and a 1st in the 2007 draft.

With those two 2nds, Eric Winston (LT which would free up a move of Adams to RT) and Nick Mangold (which would allow us to solidy the center position, and get off the dime with Johnson and Gurode).

With the two thirds, I'd like to see us take Watkins or Griffin (the free safety we've needed for so long and a guy at the position that could cover a back, TE, slot or whatever if singled up) and Thomas Howard (an OLB that has the physical skills to play in coverage or rush the QB. Would probably translate better into a 43 but is big enough to grow into the position).

With the 1st in 2007, I'd like to see us package the two firsts and move up to get one Brady Quinn.

I would consider that a very succesful draft if we were able to do it

we wont get that much for the 18th pick.

blindzebra

Reaction score
K-Mart said:
Agree to disagree. I am not crazy about Lawson. That dog just can't hunt. I like his measurables but something just turns me off. We need Roy up front where he is best. I'm sure we can agree on that. The only way to do so is get a solid FS who actually has a head on his shoulders and can make plays all over the field. Roy starts making more plays up front and people start chirping again that he is the best S in the league. Not saying OLB isn't a nice choice in Rd. #1 but i'll take Williams over Lawson or Carpenter because of the overall scheme of things. We do also have a high 2nd round LB that hasn't even started his career. If Burnett can stay healthy............ I do agree that a stud LB core is very important but to add a guy of Williams talent at FS, imo, is our best option. I don't know why I'm pushing him because Parcells will never draft him at #18. Lawson will be a cowboy.

How is a free safety gonna help if teams are running us to death on the strong side?

How is a FS gonna help if QBs have 6 seconds plus to scan the field without pressure?

I can't understand why people think we should spend first round money on the 11th most important position on a defense, when we have Roy's contract coming up, Newman's too and a big chunk of cap tied up with Henry.

We need dynamic players at LB for the 3-4 to work. We have Ware. James has half a good season under his belt, but not a lot of big plays. Akin is new to the 3-4. Burnett is coming off injuries. The rest of our LBs our special teamers and camp fodder.

SOLB is hands down our biggest need, followed by back up NT, OT, WR, G and then free safety.

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
How is a free safety gonna help if teams are running us to death on the strong side?

How is a FS gonna help if QBs have 6 seconds plus to scan the field without pressure?

I can't understand why people think we should spend first round money on the 11th most important position on a defense, when we have Roy's contract coming up, Newman's too and a big chunk of cap tied up with Henry.

We need dynamic players at LB for the 3-4 to work. We have Ware. James has half a good season under his belt, but not a lot of big plays. Akin is new to the 3-4. Burnett is coming off injuries. The rest of our LBs our special teamers and camp fodder.

SOLB is hands down our biggest need, followed by back up NT, OT, WR, G and then free safety.

well said. we need lb's and we need depth and future starters on the oline before spending a high pick on a FS

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
NovaCowboy said:
you mean like petterman and rogers?

We need to draft a tackle high and be done with it. That said, we wont, which is a shame because we'll get an extra 3rd and Parcells will waste it on a fringe player.
Yeah because we all know that every O-lineman drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round will end up like Peterman or Rogers.

I mean just look at our History here. Take Erik Williams and Larry Allen for example...

...oh wait, that shoots the theory all to hell doesn't it?

:shoot3:

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Yeah because we all know that every O-lineman drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round will end up like Peterman or Rogers.

I mean just look at our History here. Take Erik Williams and Larry Allen for example...

...oh wait, that shoots the theory all to hell doesn't it?

:shoot3:

not under Parcells it doesnt.

oh damn!!!! now look who got shot up!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
NovaCowboy said:
not under Parcells it doesnt.

oh damn!!!! now look he got shot up!
Oh, so Parcells is the culprit not the actual talent at the positions?

:laugh2:

No wait...

....yeah, that's it.

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Oh, so Parcells is the culprit not the actual talent at the positions?

No wait...

....yeah, that's it.

Im speaking of his ability to draft lineman beyond round 1 and actually pick quality llineman since he's been here.

plus he hates dogs and old people.

K-Mart

Reaction score
blindzebra said:

I even said Parcells won't do it but Williams is a top 10 talent that could have a chance to fall to us. It's a moot point since he won't. Lawson.. Carpenter are low 1st rd. talents. Williams can also play CB. So I guess you want Lawson, who could fall into the 20's at 18. He just won't be the BPA when we pick. The big play killed us last year and with the guys you mentioned and new additions we should be able to get to the QB with Singleton playing SOLB. Keith Davis is as good as a mid round draft pick. It would be a waste. But a 2nd round SOLB would be better than any SOLB on the team. Not to mention we don't know how Burnett is going to pan out. It's a waste to keep him inside.

K-Mart

Reaction score
NovaCowboy said:
well said. we need lb's and we need depth and future starters on the oline before spending a high pick on a FS

Again this can be talked about to death because of injuries but Williams, barring injuries, is a pro-bowler. Lawson is a nice attribute on the other side of Ware. Who do you want to pay that $$ to.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
NovaCowboy said:
Im speaking of his ability to draft lineman beyond round 1 and actually pick quality llineman since he's been here.

plus he hates dogs and old people.
How much foil does that hat require?

Let me get this straight, in round 1 he drafts O-linemen just fine, but beyond round 1 he has issues?

By all means, post some evidence of this. This oughta be good for a laugh. I'm not a Jason Fabini fan but I'm pretty sure he started 114 straight games after being a 7th round draft pick.

More holes than Swiss cheese in this theory Nova. Be glad it's not a bucket.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
NovaCowboy said:
we wont get that much for the 18th pick.

Perhaps. I think it depends on who's there and who is not. Having said that, we got a 1st a 5th and a 1st in the following year for the 22nd pick so anything is possible.

blindzebra

Reaction score
K-Mart said:
I even said Parcells won't do it but Williams is a top 10 talent that could have a chance to fall to us. It's a moot point since he won't. Lawson.. Carpenter are low 1st rd. talents. Williams can also play CB. So I guess you want Lawson, who could fall into the 20's at 18. He just won't be the BPA when we pick. The big play killed us last year and with the guys you mentioned and new additions we should be able to get to the QB with Singleton playing SOLB. Keith Davis is as good as a mid round draft pick. It would be a waste. But a 2nd round SOLB would be better than any SOLB on the team. Not to mention we don't know how Burnett is going to pan out. It's a waste to keep him inside.

Most of the big plays last year were not on free safety.

Wash #1 was cover 2 and Glenn messed up.

Henry had a breakdown versus SF.

Roy against the Giants.

Frankly the only big play I remember that was on FS was Moss beating Ware and Davis in 3 wide versus our base defense in the Oakland game.

Teams killed us late in the year running at Fujita and Shanle.

Teams knew all they had to account for in pass protection was Ware and Ellis.