And with the first pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select..

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
Randy White;3649418 said:
Here's a counter argument:

and I'm a HUGE fan of both of their #1 picks this year: Anthony and Iupati. And although I thought it was stupid at the time, giving up what turned out to be the 7th pick of the 2008 draft for a 1st round pick in 2007 who turned out to be Joe Staley, has worked out so far.

Still, three #1 picks in an O-line and they still haven't won a game.
Plus Anthony Davis just got their quarterback knocked out of the game, and Joe Staley has had a down year. Those high picks on oline aren't turning out for them.

Good example.

Randy White

Reaction score
SDogo;3649001 said:
I'll also be willing to be my house you dont see a OL period ranked as a top 5 selection come April. It's not that early in the college season to say that.

Some people, for some reason, don't understand that concept. Yes, O-linemen move around all over the place before the draft, just look at Iupati, but you're NOT going to see none top 10 LTs all of the sudden move into the top 10 and LTs is the only position along the line that gets picked that high.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If you have a 1st overall pick and there is a stud QB there and you pass him by, good luck. Quarterbacks are the hardest yet most valuable position you can draft, you don't let those slip by unless you have a young stud on your team or a Super Bowl winning QB on your team that's not too old.

You then draft a Tackle in the 2nd (which is the equivalent of a late 1st round pick) , guard in the third, pick up 2 star players in Free Agency at either Safety or OLine, or ILB.

If there are no stud Quarterbacks at 1 or 2, then you go elsewhere.

Jerry became cheap last year because he thought his team was studly and basically abandoned Free Agency and thought his genius self could get by with a band-aid at the safety position, offensive line, and coaching staff.

Randy White

Reaction score
locked&loaded;3649172 said:
The only thing that is clear is what the cowboys need. So when that day comes we should pick the best player for what we NEED. Is that hard?

Yes, it is and here's why:

Entering this year's draft, the Cowboys needed help at Safety and O-line. However as their turn to select a player came near, there was this one special player that kept slidding. The Cowboys, wisely, grabbed the opportunity to select that special player who happened to be the best at his position entering the draft, and made the move.

You know that special player as wide receiver Dez Bryant..

One of the very few bright spots in last night's disaster.

Now, imagine if the Dallas Cowboys back in April of this month would have followed your advice..

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
This has become a silly thread when people start wanting to draft and QB with our first pick.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
1st rounder - If Peterson's there, take him. If not, best offensive lineman available
2nd rounder - If Peterson was taken with #1, then go w/ OL. If OL was taken with #1 then go with safety
3rd rounder - Nose tackle
4th rounder - Offensive lineman
5th rounder - Offensive lineman
6th rounder - Defensive lineman
7th rounder - Defensive lineman

Getting stronger in the trenches! I believe Peterson is the only truly elite CB prospect, which is why he's a guy you can't pass up. If he's gone though, just move Ball back to CB and then take a FS with your 2nd.

Randy White

Reaction score
Clove;3649474 said:
If you have a 1st overall pick and there is a stud QB there and you pass him by, good luck. Quarterbacks are the hardest yet most valuable position you can draft, you don't let those slip by unless you have a young stud on your team or a Super Bowl winning QB on your team that's not too old.

Two names:

JaMarcus Russell - lose
Joe Thomas - win

Two more names:

Jake Long - win
Matt Ryan - win

Of course, you can alway counter with:

Troy Aikman - win
Tony Mandarich - lose

Randy White

Reaction score
TheCoolFan;3649516 said:
1st rounder - If Peterson's there, take him. If not, best offensive lineman available

If Peterson is not there, then you go with the best player available. I suspect that altough he won't the #1 pick, the best player available at that time would be Robert Quinn..

and I don't care if he plays the same position as Anthony Spencer. Quinn might be the best defensive player in a draft that's full of DEs.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
SDogo;3648873 said:
QB

Sorry but if we have the 1st pick you have to take the opportunity to grab a franchise QB when there is no top 5 talent in a area of need.

I agree with that, but I would do this, the patriots have 2 first round draft choices. From what someone told me,they are looking heavy at alabama rb. If you have first overall choice, see if you can trade down 2 to 4 spots, pick up those 2 extra number ones.

Granted, raiders are doing pretty good right now, but things still might change and raiders have a top 10 pick.

Which is the patriots pick next year.

WE need OT, OG and possibly center. Costa didnt look to bad last night to me, since he mostly has played center and cowboys hadhim at OG.

WE might have a center there in costa in time to take over for gurode

That would leave you with a need for top ROT, a dominant player and a top OG. I would also go after mankins, someone said he would be unrestricted next year. Leonard Davis needs to go, and Kosier keeps getting hurt.

If you could get 2 first rounders, you can get some good players, and still get some good players in 2nd to 4th rounders if season is real bad this year, and you have top picks in each round of the draft.

The Natural

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;3648877 said:
Olineman or safety

This..with o-line having the higher priority.

We should try moving Spencer in the offseason, he's been ****

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Sign Mankins and Sanders

Draft two or three corners/safeties, another olineman and a few dlineman....nothing else.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
If we get the #1 pick, trade down to around #4 and draft Peterson and enjoy having a free 2nd rounder lol

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
iGor Olpiffsky;3649791 said:
This..with o-line having the higher priority.

We should try moving Spencer in the offseason, he's been ****

Spencer has been crap, but I still think with the right head coach you will see better production out of this guy. Having said that I wouldn't be opposed to trading virtually anyone off the roster not named Bryant, Romo and Ratliff (though he needs to be moved outside in the 3-4).

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Oh_Canada;3649801 said:
Spencer has been crap, but I still think with the right head coach you will see better production out of this guy. Having said that I wouldn't be opposed to trading virtually anyone off the roster not named Bryant, Romo and Ratliff (though he needs to be moved outside in the 3-4).
What a weird list lol.

Ware the best defensive player in the league, but you pick Ratliff. We are a losing franchise with a 31 year old QB, Bryant is understandable though.

Miles, Bryant, Ware. Untoucheables.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Rack Bauer;3648905 said:
If the cowboys draft a LB or DE in the first round I'll blow dallas up.

Say it with me now...

OFFENSIVE LINEMAN.

What he said.

We can no longer neglect the OL position after this year. It's aging, slow, and lazy.

We suck at drafting OL but I'll take our chances with a top 10 prospect.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3649809 said:
What a weird list lol.

Ware the best defensive player in the league, but you pick Ratliff. We are a losing franchise with a 31 year old QB, Bryant is understandable though.

Miles, Bryant, Ware. Untoucheables.

I understand why you would think that, but 31 years old or not, it's hard to find good QB's.

I probably wouldn't trade Ware, but if this team moves to the 4-3, I would. Frankly, he seems to disappear far too easily in the middle of games for my liking.

Austin seems to be allowing the Hollywood lifestyle to creep into his play. This team needs less Hollywood and more South central.

The Natural

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;3649801 said:

You may be right. Either way I think we need to find a way to secure 2 first round picks. Im warming to the idea of Patrick Peterson + OL Combo.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Oh_Canada;3649821 said:
I understand why you would think that, but 31 years old or not, it's hard to find good QB's.

I probably wouldn't trade Ware, but if this team moves to the 4-3, I would. Frankly, he seems to disappear far too easily in the middle of games for my liking.

Austin seems to be allowing the Hollywood lifestyle to creep into his play. This team needs less Hollywood and more South central.
Ware is the best pass rusher in the league by a mile. If the coach we bring in wants to move to something that is not suited to Ware, then they are not the coach we should be getting lol.

Austin, is having a slump, if he can fix the drops hes having 100 yard, 1 td games every week. Hes got everything down but the polished catching, that will come in time.