Andy Dalton is a quality QB

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/excuse
This is you

Now Post "147 of this thread your quote "First your thinking is that of a Prescott hater. Prescott haters automatically assign ALL losses the Cowboys may have on Prescott. The losses could in reality be more the fault of poor play by the defense or maybe the offensive line gets called for multiple holding calls especially on 3rd downs or maybe Elliott continues his downward slide in production that he's had since his rookie season."

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/opinion

This is me Post " 157 "i don't hate Dak never have, infact i think he's a pretty good guy overall i just think he is short on talent to be considered an elite franchise QB, in other words he's an average Joe!"

How many times are you going to continue this idea that what you say is opinion and what I say is an excuse. Is it just an excuse because I didn't preface it by saying in my opinion "The losses could in reality be more the fault of poor play by the defense or maybe the offensive line gets called for multiple holding calls especially on 3rd downs or maybe Elliott continues his downward slide in production that he's had since his rookie season.". As I've said before if you use the same logic you use on me on yourself, what you're saying is excuses too. You are saying that Prescott is an average Joe and the EXCUSE you give is you think he doesn't have the talent to be a franchise QB.

Don't bother replying because I don't want to hear any more of your EXCUSES and I won't reply.

Hadenough

Reaction score
The moment Dak throws his first interception or misses wide open receivers that result in a loss , the fans will demand Dalton go in . MM will resist making a change as the cowboys are paying Dak 10 times more than dalton . But if the cowboys struggle by game 5 or 6 , and are around 3-3 , Jerry will get involved and a change will become imminent.
If Dalton were to start a few games because Dak is playing poorly I guarantee you these Dak lovers would be rooting for the Cowboys to lose.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Let me try putting it another way. If the Cowboys really thought that Dalton could replace Prescott and do better I have 2 questions for you. First why would they still try to negotiate a new contract with Prescott? Second if the Cowboys have ANY questions about Prescott's ability to lead this team why wouldn't they just rescind that franchise tag and just let him walk since they have Daltoer n? I have not said that Dalton wasn't a good backup QB to do in a pinch for a short period of time because of an injury to Prescott, but if the Cowboys, not users here, thought that Dalton was that quality starting QB why would Prescott still be in their plans? There is only one answer to all of this and that is Dalton was signed as a 1 season insurance policy against an injury to Prescott. Even Dalton said after signing with the Cowboys that he signed as the backup QB and doesn't expect any chance to compete for the starting job.

I agree with you there. I really think they want Dak as a long term solution. But there is uncertainty with Dak. When you want to sign is short term contract so you can resign for even a higher contract after 4 to 5 years it seems to put Dak putting money first before the team.

The way this contract situation is being dragged out to the very last minute, I just think Dak may want to get all the money he can from Dallas and leave for a better contract with another team.

Dak should be that the Cowboys like him and think much of him. However, if Dak wants to hold out and not budge to compromise on his deal, I think Dalton is a capable replacement and might surprise. Dalton signing with Dallas, whether it's planned or not, does give the Cowboys a bit of leverage of Dak. He might want to think twice about holding out for a year. He might never get his position back as Cowboys QB.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Still odd that they ate the CAP money instead of keeping him around. Maybe that would have been too awkward or actually detrimental to Burrow.

Earlier somebody said Cincy ate the CAP when they released him. So he just left without taking the money? Impressed by his character, but doubt I would have done that.
I imagine dalton wanted out, and they worked with him to let him go, since they have the new guy.
no sense forcing dalton to stay.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Let me try putting it another way. If the Cowboys really thought that Dalton could replace Prescott and do better I have 2 questions for you. First why would they still try to negotiate a new contract with Prescott? Second if the Cowboys have ANY questions about Prescott's ability to lead this team why wouldn't they just rescind that franchise tag and just let him walk since they have Dalton? I have not said that Dalton wasn't a good backup QB to do in a pinch for a short period of time because of an injury to Prescott, but if the Cowboys, not users here, thought that Dalton was that quality starting QB why would Prescott still be in their plans? There is only one answer to all of this and that is Dalton was signed as a 1 season insurance policy against an injury to Prescott. Even Dalton said after signing with the Cowboys that he signed as the backup QB and doesn't expect any chance to compete for the starting job.
I imagine dalton was signed mostly to be bkup, but about your questions, the thing is they know what they have in dak, after 4 years watching him play.
With Dalton, they dont know what he would be like with this team right now, it would be all speculation.
The jones boys like Dak to a point, but his refusal of their offers, may cause them to rethink things.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I imagine dalton was signed mostly to be bkup, but about your questions, the thing is they know what they have in dak, after 4 years watching him play.
With Dalton, they dont know what he would be like with this team right now, it would be all speculation.
The jones boys like Dak to a point, but his refusal of their offers, may cause them to rethink things.
Did you need to see Matt Cassel in 2015 to know he wouldn’t run the offense any better than Weeden did? Dalton is terrible, we know that.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Did you need to see Matt Cassel in 2015 to know he wouldn’t run the offense any better than Weeden did? Dalton is terrible, we know that.
I havent seen dalton play in years, have you?
Also playing for this team and playing in cin is 2 different things.
no comparison to cassel, who I had seen, and knew he was done.

I wanted to see dalton play in PS, but that has gone bye bye. So now it is just all speculation.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
How many times are you going to continue this idea that what you say is opinion and what I say is an excuse. Is it just an excuse because I didn't preface it by saying in my opinion "The losses could in reality be more the fault of poor play by the defense or maybe the offensive line gets called for multiple holding calls especially on 3rd downs or maybe Elliott continues his downward slide in production that he's had since his rookie season.". As I've said before if you use the same logic you use on me on yourself, what you're saying is excuses too. You are saying that Prescott is an average Joe and the EXCUSE you give is you think he doesn't have the talent to be a franchise QB.

Don't bother replying because I don't want to hear any more of your EXCUSES and I won't reply.

Obviously you didn't read the definition of the word excuse i posted for you. Maybe you should read it and learn something

basel90

Reaction score
If Dalton were to start a few games because Dak is playing poorly I guarantee you these Dak lovers would be rooting for the Cowboys to lose.
Agreed . It will be a different atmosphere. Not sure how Dak will take the heat . This is the first time he is playing with a legit QB breathing down his neck , during a prove One year contract . No more Jason excuses either ...

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score

Do we really need to see Dak on that 2019 Bengals team to know that he wouldn't have done any better with it than Dalton did? C'mon if Dalton is terrible then what is Dak? Dalton took his team to the playoffs 4 straight years to start his career (i know he is 0-4) but he still took them there, he won as many games in his 1st 4 seasons as Dak! This year Dak would need to lead the Cowboys to 10 wins this season to keep pace with what Dalton did his 1st 5 years. Dak is the teams starter nobody is questioning that right now but if Dak falters then the Cowboys and MM do have a proven starter who has won alot of games in the NFL to turn to. Dalton is not Tom Brady or Drew Brees or a few other guys but he is no where near terrible and in my opinion he is on the same level as Dak as far as talent is concerned

P.S in his 5th year Dalton played the 1st 12 games and got hurt the 1st series of the 13th game he won 10 of those 12 games in other words they were 10-2, they went 2-2 without him the rest of the way and lost in the of the divisional round of the playoffs 18-16 with Landry as their QB.

Last edited:

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Dalton won 50 of his 1st 76 games in the NFL that is a .657 win percentage. I bring that up because i always here how Dak is 40-24 as a starter (.625 win percentage by the way). So i ask again if Dalton is terrible then what does that make Dak?

basel90

Reaction score
Dak is already feeling the heat ... his negotiation antics have backfired with the team and fans . And now he has a proven QB waiting on the sideline to come in once he falters . Will be a different atmosphere for Dak . No more Garrett for fans to lay the blame on for losses .

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak is already feeling the heat ... his negotiation antics have backfired with the team and fans . And now he has a proven QB waiting on the sideline to come in once he falters . Will be a different atmosphere for Dak . No more Garrett for fans to lay the blame on for losses .

Players know, they always know and Dak knows that Dalton (no matter why he was signed) is a threat to him if he doesn't play well. Dalton is not Cooper Rush and Dak knows that.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Nope...incorrect assessment. I was asking to start a honest dialog about it.
You've got plenty of troll targets to attack on this board.
I'm not one of them.

When I ask a question....it's to get an answer, not stick words in people's mouths like you are now doing. I either want to know what a person thinks and where they are coming from...or get schooled. Not trap them.

Wherever you got your Internet Psychiatric Evaluation PhD from...you might want to ask for your money back. This "only ask a question you know the answer to"...could be the most asinine thing I've ever seen here.
None of that is true.
You used the "well what about YAC?" argument in the midst of an "I am not Dak Hater I swear, I just dress like them" soliloquy.
Lemme guess, you are also good friends with Dak's biggest fan?

YAC has very little to do with QB AT ALL.
As is, it is a small % of Dak's total passing yardage because he was the 2nd best deep ball passer in the NFL in 2019.
As that has been covered on this board many times anyone who doesn't know that willfully lied to themselves.

YAC is largely determined by the player receiving the ball and the offense they play in.

Take YAC away from Brees and he looks very blah. Because that is the offense they run. Quick and wide.
Same offense Brady ran for years in NE.

Dak had a solid YAC output in 2019, largely because Zeke, Gallup and Amari are good after the catch and he threw for a ton of yards but his % of YAC to passing yardage was middle of the road because he was so high in air yards. --this means he threw the ball farther per pass than other QBs.

You are still lying to yourself here and wasting my time so I'll just you on ignore and keep it moving.

basel90

Reaction score
Players know, they always know and Dak knows that Dalton (no matter why he was signed) is a threat to him if he doesn't play well. Dalton is not Cooper Rush and Dak knows that.
Indeed . With all the weapons at receivers / TE positions , an accurate QB will be needed . The margin for errors and unexplained losses has passed . Dak has to put up or move on .

kskboys

Reaction score
Dalton isn't terrible. He's a competent NFL starter, just not top 2 tiers. Bottom 15 somewhere.