Andy Dalton is the equivalent of Steve Beuerlein

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
So what team is going to give Andy Dalton starting QB money?? Sorry I just don't see it happening. His career as a full time starter is on the down side, imo. I won't be surprised to see him resign with us with a similar type contract as this year's.

conner01

Reaction score
I dont think Dalton is the answer either but what I see is Dalton a decent back up beating an Eagles team in a meaningful game that Dak couldnt do last season. Dak cant blame that loss last year on the defense either. Yeah we know Dak was banged up but we also saw Dalton beat a Vikings team that Dak failed to beat the last he played them. Im not saying Dalton should be the starter but that Dak is not performing the way he should against better teams. Considering the money he wants I dont want Jerry to sign him. I dont care what anyone says about Daks ankle is going to be fine. We saw Derek Carr look great until his ankle was broken. We saw Wentz playing lights out until is ACL was torn. You dont know how Dak is going to play after this and a big part of his game is his toughness and ability to run. I like Dak the person but think Dak the QB is very over rated by too many fans.
Can’t really compare nfl teams from one year to the next

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So what team is going to give Andy Dalton starting QB money?? Sorry I just don't see it happening. His career as a full time starter is on the down side, imo. I won't be surprised to see him resign with us with a similar type contract as this year's.

Dalton is top 8 for fewest bad throws and most accurate throws. He's a legitimate starting QB. No way anyone can get him next year for 3mil plus incentives.

Right now, I expect he'll be 20+mil.

If you cut him some slack for him and the oline getting up to speed, Dalton is a 106QB rating for 4 December games.

Really look at that oline that he's getting those numbers with. No Martin, Tyron, or Collins.
Knight, Steele, Williams, Looney, McGovern. All but Williams under 55 by PFF.

817Gill

Reaction score
I dont think Dalton is the answer either but what I see is Dalton a decent back up beating an Eagles team in a meaningful game that Dak couldnt do last season. Dak cant blame that loss last year on the defense either. Yeah we know Dak was banged up but we also saw Dalton beat a Vikings team that Dak failed to beat the last he played them. Im not saying Dalton should be the starter but that Dak is not performing the way he should against better teams. Considering the money he wants I dont want Jerry to sign him. I dont care what anyone says about Daks ankle is going to be fine. We saw Derek Carr look great until his ankle was broken. We saw Wentz playing lights out until is ACL was torn. You dont know how Dak is going to play after this and a big part of his game is his toughness and ability to run. I like Dak the person but think Dak the QB is very over rated by too many fans.
Can’t really compare nfl teams from one year to the next
No way you can compare those two teams especially. First of all last years Vikings were 10-6 this years iteration is 6-8. Last year Philly was 9-7 and was the last time Carson Wentz played like a real QB, this year it’s half-running back rookie Hurts and they are a 4 win team. Both rosters have taken significant hits this year with Minnesota on defense and Philly finally falling apart.

How do these wins inspire confidence in Dalton? If your thing is you don’t get impressed by your QB beating up losing teams then why are you giving Dalton props for beating two teams that will finish with losing records?

I totally get the worry with the recent trend of Dak’s record versus winning teams. Personally, I would attribute it to poor coaching as beating teams with similar talent levels usually comes with winning the coaching battle. Were there games that were winnable but Dak seemingly didn’t get it done? Yes, and I can definitely entertain the idea that he’s responsible for that, but you can’t tell me this has been a well coached team these past two seasons.

I also do not see how you use Daltons performance against bad iterations of the Vikings and Eagles as evidence against Dak’s performances against the 10-6 Wild Card playoff game winning Vikes and much better Eagles team last year than the garbage they are now. Seems inconsistent to me.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess being a zone supporter allows you certain privileges, like using Dak666 on the sig. That's pathetic, even for a little man with no cajones like you.
DAK The Cowboys 666.....if you want more just let me know!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Raiders had great defenses in those days too.

I was a Raiders fan in the 70s, but felt scorned and bitter after they dumped The Snake. Didn't follow the Raiders much after that, though I saw flukey highlites from Plunkett.

The Raiders' ability to recycle Plunkett and Gannon was impressive.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It was 1991. A young Troy Aikman is injured in the 12th game of the season and will miss the rest of the reg season. The Cowboys at that time were in the thick of the playoff race and could ill afford losing their starting QB. When Aikman went down , the Cowboys were 7-5, fighting for a wild card spot in the playoffs. It looked somewhat bleak.

BUT...we had an excellent backup QB named Steve Beuerlein, who led the Cowboys to 4 straight wins, clinching a WC playoff spot. Even led them to a wild card playoff win against Chicago in the playoffs. The dream ended in Det though in a divisional round loss.

Believe it or not, at that juncture, some Cowboys fans were calling for Aikman to be traded and Beurlein to be named the starter in ‘92. Jimmy Johnson knew better. Beuerlein was an excellent QB in smaller doses, but not for big doses. The rest of his career, he was what time showed he was. A decent starter, who can win you some games.

Kind of like Andy Dalton.

Hey, I like Andy Dalton and I’m not in any way meaning to disrespect him. And I’m not saying Dak is Troy Aikman But Dalton’s not the future here. He’s a solid mid-level type starter that is going to make some good money next year as the starter for another team. His price tag will be too high for us to keep him as a backup and unless I’m dead wrong (which I very well could be!) I think Dak will be signed to a 4-5 year deal this offseason.

Andy Dalton is the 2020 version of Steve Beuerlein.
Good comparison. What's interesting is that were at opposite ends of their career when they were in Dallas. Beuerlein went on to become a very Andy Daltonesque starter

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Wow, this is the first I’ve heard of your Dak distaste, lol.
Lol. I see "Pappy" & continue scrolling. It gets old. Once in awhile I'll stop & pull his chains though. I like him too much to have him on ignore. :laugh:

Hadenough

Reaction score
No way you can compare those two teams especially. First of all last years Vikings were 10-6 this years iteration is 6-8. Last year Philly was 9-7 and was the last time Carson Wentz played like a real QB, this year it’s half-running back rookie Hurts and they are a 4 win team. Both rosters have taken significant hits this year with Minnesota on defense and Philly finally falling apart.

How do these wins inspire confidence in Dalton? If your thing is you don’t get impressed by your QB beating up losing teams then why are you giving Dalton props for beating two teams that will finish with losing records?

I totally get the worry with the recent trend of Dak’s record versus winning teams. Personally, I would attribute it to poor coaching as beating teams with similar talent levels usually comes with winning the coaching battle. Were there games that were winnable but Dak seemingly didn’t get it done? Yes, and I can definitely entertain the idea that he’s responsible for that, but you can’t tell me this has been a well coached team these past two seasons.

I also do not see how you use Daltons performance against bad iterations of the Vikings and Eagles as evidence against Dak’s performances against the 10-6 Wild Card playoff game winning Vikes and much better Eagles team last year than the garbage they are now. Seems inconsistent to me.
In the very beginning of my post I said I didnt think Dalton was the answer. Those teams I mentioned may of been better record wise but they are basically the same teams The eagles team last season was devastated by injuries and Dallas was healthy and Dak layed an egg. My post isnt about pumping up Dalton as much as it is to realize that Dak isnt as special as people want to believe. Those same people that were throwing Daks name around with Wilson, Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady need their heads and eyes examined. The best way to have a winning team is have a QB that performs well in the redzone.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Dalton is everything you want in a back up QB. He came in and helped win a couple games and he's on the cheap.

Qcard

Reaction score
It was 1991. A young Troy Aikman is injured in the 12th game of the season and will miss the rest of the reg season. The Cowboys at that time were in the thick of the playoff race and could ill afford losing their starting QB. When Aikman went down , the Cowboys were 7-5, fighting for a wild card spot in the playoffs. It looked somewhat bleak.

BUT...we had an excellent backup QB named Steve Beuerlein, who led the Cowboys to 4 straight wins, clinching a WC playoff spot. Even led them to a wild card playoff win against Chicago in the playoffs. The dream ended in Det though in a divisional round loss.

Believe it or not, at that juncture, some Cowboys fans were calling for Aikman to be traded and Beurlein to be named the starter in ‘92. Jimmy Johnson knew better. Beuerlein was an excellent QB in smaller doses, but not for big doses. The rest of his career, he was what time showed he was. A decent starter, who can win you some games.

Kind of like Andy Dalton.

Hey, I like Andy Dalton and I’m not in any way meaning to disrespect him. And I’m not saying Dak is Troy Aikman But Dalton’s not the future here. He’s a solid mid-level type starter that is going to make some good money next year as the starter for another team. His price tag will be too high for us to keep him as a backup and unless I’m dead wrong (which I very well could be!) I think Dak will be signed to a 4-5 year deal this offseason.

Andy Dalton is the 2020 version of Steve Beuerlein.
Great Post:hammer: