Andy Dalton is the equivalent of Steve Beuerlein

Mannix

Reaction score
Look at the RAC with Dalton versus Dak....has everything to do with accuracy, and hitting receivers in stride....which Dak does not do. Too much money for him....not worth it....cut bait!!!

KB1122

Reaction score
the difference is that Beurlein played for a playoff-caliber team looking to stay in contention while Dalton is playing for a team that really needs higher draft picks.

Motorola

Reaction score
It was 1991. A young Troy Aikman is injured in the 12th game of the season and will miss the rest of the reg season. The Cowboys at that time were in the thick of the playoff race and could ill afford losing their starting QB. When Aikman went down , the Cowboys were 7-5, fighting for a wild card spot in the playoffs. It looked somewhat bleak.

BUT...we had an excellent backup QB named Steve Beuerlein, who led the Cowboys to 4 straight wins, clinching a WC playoff spot. Even led them to a wild card playoff win against Chicago in the playoffs. The dream ended in Det though in a divisional round loss.

Believe it or not, at that juncture, some Cowboys fans were calling for Aikman to be traded and Beurlein to be named the starter in ‘92. Jimmy Johnson knew better. Beuerlein was an excellent QB in smaller doses, but not for big doses. The rest of his career, he was what time showed he was. A decent starter, who can win you some games.

Kind of like Andy Dalton.

Hey, I like Andy Dalton and I’m not in any way meaning to disrespect him. And I’m not saying Dak is Troy Aikman But Dalton’s not the future here. He’s a solid mid-level type starter that is going to make some good money next year as the starter for another team. His price tag will be too high for us to keep him as a backup and unless I’m dead wrong (which I very well could be!) I think Dak will be signed to a 4-5 year deal this offseason.

Andy Dalton is the 2020 version of Steve Beuerlein.
I looked at every NFL team to see which one would offer a contract to Dalton as a starter--
NFC East - no
NFC North- Bears?
NFC South- no
NFC West - no
AFC East- Patriots?
AFC North-no
AFC South- no
AFC West - Broncos?
The pickings are slim.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I looked at every NFL team to see which one would offer a contract to Dalton as a starter--
NFC East - no
NFC North- Bears?
NFC South- no
NFC West - no
AFC East- Patriots?
AFC North-no
AFC South- no
AFC West - Broncos?
The pickings are slim.
I think WFT might be interested. Which would be very interesting.

ArtClink

Reaction score
It was 1991. A young Troy Aikman is injured in the 12th game of the season and will miss the rest of the reg season. The Cowboys at that time were in the thick of the playoff race and could ill afford losing their starting QB. When Aikman went down , the Cowboys were 7-5, fighting for a wild card spot in the playoffs. It looked somewhat bleak.

BUT...we had an excellent backup QB named Steve Beuerlein, who led the Cowboys to 4 straight wins, clinching a WC playoff spot. Even led them to a wild card playoff win against Chicago in the playoffs. The dream ended in Det though in a divisional round loss.

Believe it or not, at that juncture, some Cowboys fans were calling for Aikman to be traded and Beurlein to be named the starter in ‘92. Jimmy Johnson knew better. Beuerlein was an excellent QB in smaller doses, but not for big doses. The rest of his career, he was what time showed he was. A decent starter, who can win you some games.

Kind of like Andy Dalton.

Hey, I like Andy Dalton and I’m not in any way meaning to disrespect him. And I’m not saying Dak is Troy Aikman But Dalton’s not the future here. He’s a solid mid-level type starter that is going to make some good money next year as the starter for another team. His price tag will be too high for us to keep him as a backup and unless I’m dead wrong (which I very well could be!) I think Dak will be signed to a 4-5 year deal this offseason.

Andy Dalton is the 2020 version of Steve Beuerlein.

Let Dalton have a few decent days and then it was no surprise to hear some chanting for the fuhrer to release Dak, a top ten QB. The Pats, Steelers, and many other teams would sign Dak in a NY minute. We also haven't seen Dak's ceiling as he continues to improve every year. If the fuhrer paid Glass Joe Peyton Manning money even though he barely won a few wc games, why isn't he paying Dak who is simply asking to be paid what the market dictates? Stephen Jones said we won't set the market for any player yet here we are with a middle of the pack RB who was signed to a cool $90 mil.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let Dalton have a few decent days and then it was no surprise to hear some chanting for the fuhrer to release Dak, a top ten QB. The Pats, Steelers, and many other teams would sign Dak in a NY minute. We also haven't seen Dak's ceiling as he continues to improve every year. If the fuhrer paid Glass Joe Peyton Manning money even though he barely won a few wc games, why isn't he paying Dak who is simply asking to be paid what the market dictates? Stephen Jones said we won't set the market for any player yet here we are with a middle of the pack RB who was signed to a cool $90 mil.
Seems like that’s what Dallas fans do. Especially with QBs in Dallas. Go all the way back to Don Meredith’s days. The fans in Big D always love the guy who isn’t starting. Unless a “new” guy comes in and wins a few suddenly they are the answer.

Look at Cowboys QB history- there has almost always been a drum beat to get rid of the starting QB.

Dandy Don’t Meredith was a really good QB but fans tired of his 11 win seasons and wanted Craig Morton. Who was cheered when he took them to a SB. Then he wasn’t cheered when we lost. Roger came in and was the GOAT taking us to 4 SBs, winning 2. Then Danny White, a very good QB who took the Cowboys to 3 straight NFC championships, then he was booed. Fans screamed for Gary Hogeboom, until it was clear he was overrated. Then White again, then Steve Puelluer, then Aikman, who was booed early, then everyone like Steve Walsh, then Steve Beuerlein (as noted in the thread) then Aikman again,who won 3 SBs, until he started getting booed at the end of his career. Then the wilderness with QCar, Vinny T, “Chuch” Chad Hutchinson, until Romo arrives and rights the ship. Until he’s booed, and Dak arrives.

Dallas fans have a long history of not liking their QBs.

RS12

Reaction score
Look at the RAC with Dalton versus Dak....has everything to do with accuracy, and hitting receivers in stride....which Dak does not do. Too much money for him....not worth it....cut bait!!!
Like the TD pass to Cee Dee.

817Gill

Reaction score
In the very beginning of my post I said I didnt think Dalton was the answer. Those teams I mentioned may of been better record wise but they are basically the same teams The eagles team last season was devastated by injuries and Dallas was healthy and Dak layed an egg. My post isnt about pumping up Dalton as much as it is to realize that Dak isnt as special as people want to believe. Those same people that were throwing Daks name around with Wilson, Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady need their heads and eyes examined. The best way to have a winning team is have a QB that performs well in the redzone.
Totally get the pumping breaks on Dak and doing a deeper examination on whether he’s able to do what it takes to get us over the hump, but I think using Daltons wins over this years Vikes and Iggles teams is a non-factor in the argument.

I think you’d make a more compelling case sticking just with the games versus winning record teams that Dak has lost. Using Dalton’s wins over the losing versions of those teams doesn’t move the needle IMO.

Would Dalton have beaten Minnesota last year I don’t think so. Dak made some of the best throws he’s ever made in that one, tightrope stuff to Coop and free play to Cobb come to mind immediately. Did he pull it out in the end? No, but I really don’t think Dalton would have even gotten the team in that position. Outside of those last 2 plays, you can make an argument that it was Dak’s most impressive day on film especially against a real defense. How much did Dak’s injury and lack of real backup QB play into the Eagles loss? Could go both ways. Too much hypothetical in the “look who Dalton beat this year” angle, better off just sticking with Dak’s body of work.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I swear Pappy must have been picked on by Dak in high school, or at least whoever the QB was. He seems pretty scarred.
Why don't you start insulting my family members now as there will be no repercussions due to the fact you are a Dak-Lover and a privileged member here....

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
------We also haven't seen Dak's ceiling as he continues to improve every year

Yes we have, because you cannot teach accuracy.
Saying Dak has an accuracy problem is inaccurate.

For example, in 2019 Dak Prescott was seventh in the NFL in on-target percentage at 77.6% and sixth in the NFL in bad throw percentage, all the while finishing fifth in intended air yards. No quarterback had more passes dropped in 2019 than Dak Prescott’s 36. He finished second in the NFL in percentage of pass attempts dropped behind only Josh Allen. Also in 2019, Dak was ranked sixth in completion % in passes that traveled over 20 yards in the air, with 54,7%.

According to NFL Next Gen Stats, Prescott finished third in the NFL last season in Average Completed Air Yards, and sixth in Average Intended Air Yards– all to say, Prescott’s 65% completion percentage in 2019 came in an offense that liked to throw the ball deep.

Dak has been a career 66% passer. He had one year below 65%, which was 2017 at 62.9%. At the time of his injury this year, his completion rate was 68%.

Is he Troy Aikman accurate? No. Is he Aaron Rodgers accurate? No. Is he top ten in the league in accuracy? Yes. And also, even as importantly, he’s always been top 5 in TD-Int ratio. Dak has holes in his game as most QBs do. But he’s better than his perception among many fans here.

If a fan doesn’t like Dak, that’s fine. I just want him to take criticism for things that are real. Not some perception that isn’t real.

Last edited:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Dak has had the benefits of one of the better offensive lines in the NFL, to say this isn't true is disingenuous.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why don't you start insulting my family members now as there will be no repercussions due to the fact you are a Dak-Lover and a privileged member here....
lol, so now you are being picked on by me. Damn, it sucks to be you and have everyone bully you.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score

I would say it’s the most important “stat” or “trait” coming out of college into the pros.
Not completion %. That can easily be masked.
Accuracy from the pocket.
That is why Wilson, Mahomes and Rogers are who they are. Consistently accurate from the pocket. The rest of what they do with there feet is just added gravy to the already awesome dinner.
It’s why Mac Jones will go in the top 13-15 picks of this upcoming draft.
Because QBs are always overdrafted and accurate QBs are coveted. Regardless of where they play and who they play with.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
Saying Dak has an accuracy problem is inaccurate.

For example, in 2019 Dak Prescott was seventh in the NFL in on-target percentage at 77.6% and sixth in the NFL in bad throw percentage, all the while finishing fifth in intended air yards. No quarterback had more passes dropped in 2019 than Dak Prescott’s 36. He finished second in the NFL in percentage of pass attempts dropped behind only Josh Allen. Also in 2019, Dak was ranked sixth in completion % in passes that traveled over 20 yards in the air, with 54,7%.

According to NFL Next Gen Stats, Prescott finished third in the NFL last season in Average Completed Air Yards, and sixth in Average Intended Air Yards– all to say, Prescott’s 65% completion percentage in 2019 came in an offense that liked to throw the ball deep.

Dak has been a career 66% passer. He had one year below 65%, which was 2017 at 62.9%. At the time of his injury this year, his completion rate was 68%.

Is he Troy Aikman accurate? No. Is he Aaron Rodgers accurate? No. Is he top ten in the league in accuracy? Yes. And also, even as importantly, he’s always been top 5 in TD-Int ratio. Dak has holes in his game as most QBs do. But he’s better than his perception among many fans here.

If a fan doesn’t like Dak, that’s fine. I just want him to take criticism for things that are real. Not some perception that isn’t real.

Completion % is irrelevant. It’s his accuracy and completions from the pocket that matters.
Kirk Cousins career completion % is 68%
But running bootlegs and getting outside the pocket for those easy pitch and catch masks the fact that he struggles to make the tough throws inside the pocket. And it’s those 3rd and 8’s that are the killer. Defensive coordinators can gameplay to keep a QB in the pocket. And then he falls apart.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

By this standard no QB can ever improve, so it's nonsense.

Reality is mechanics can be taught. Understanding the offense can be taught, and improves with experience. Reading defenses can be taught and also improves with experience. There is a lot of growth any QB can achieve aside from just throwing the ball from point A to point B.

Besides, the rumors of Dak's lack of accuracy are greatly exaggerated. Dak may not be the most accurate in the NFL, but when he got hurt he had a 68% completion rate while leading the league in yardage by a long shot, and that couldn't happen if he was as horrible as some make him out to be.