Andy Dalton is the equivalent of Steve Beuerlein

Hadenough

Reaction score
my opinion is that coaches are ultimately responsible for winning/losing. they own the defense, offense and special teams and some combination of each will lead to a successful team. Mahomes, as great as he is. as elite as he maybe. as big a numbers as he produces, in 2018, the offense was averaging crazy 35 pts/game...but they lost in AFCCG, because their defense couldn't make critical stops...was ranked in low 20s...in 2019, they averaged 28/game, but defense improved to 14th and they won the superbowl....so do you need defense to win? yes, but doesn't have to be top 10, if you have a patrick mahomes....if you don't then yes, you need a better defense..
I tend to agree but I dont like averaging the number of points this offense produces because 45 against the Commanders and 40 against the Giants tends to inflate the numbers. One of the common traits of this team against better teams is the offense will struggle for long periods of time along with the defense struggling.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Where did I mention FA. I clearly said draft. It’ll take 3-5 yrs.

Take the best player available, or second. FA is only an option for a team missing one hole. Without depth, it’s worthless.
I don't disagree.

However I don't think it will take 3 to 5.

And I don't hold out hope for this team to all of a sudden know how to pick defense in draft when they couldn't in past 15 years.

And I agree. You fill a he here or there through FA or trade...ala Cooper.

And if then you are not saying we need the money for FA and we should draft then why create a massive hole only to have to use a draft pick to.try to fill it and most probably miss or spend a few years developing a player and then not resign them ala Dak? We would be back to the same square.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Overpaying players keeps you from super bowl contention.
Over paying for wrong players...ala Jaylon Smith or Zeke...

.we might have at the time handed largest contracts to Smith or Martin or Fredrick....but it's slight over payment for players that produce....same with Cooper or Dak.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I tend to agree but I dont like averaging the number of points this offense produces because 45 against the Commanders and 40 against the Giants tends to inflate the numbers. One of the common traits of this team against better teams is the offense will struggle for long periods of time along with the defense struggling.
I tend to agree but over a larger same of games it tends to average out to what it is. There will be outliers, both low scoring and high scoring...the larger the sample the more accurate.

Also everyone tends to try and look at it in a vaccum,. Comparing it to their expectations (with no standards).

It needs to be compared to other QBs and teams around the league.....results may surprise you.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was 1991. A young Troy Aikman is injured in the 12th game of the season and will miss the rest of the reg season. The Cowboys at that time were in the thick of the playoff race and could ill afford losing their starting QB. When Aikman went down , the Cowboys were 7-5, fighting for a wild card spot in the playoffs. It looked somewhat bleak.

BUT...we had an excellent backup QB named Steve Beuerlein, who led the Cowboys to 4 straight wins, clinching a WC playoff spot. Even led them to a wild card playoff win against Chicago in the playoffs. The dream ended in Det though in a divisional round loss.

Believe it or not, at that juncture, some Cowboys fans were calling for Aikman to be traded and Beurlein to be named the starter in ‘92. Jimmy Johnson knew better. Beuerlein was an excellent QB in smaller doses, but not for big doses. The rest of his career, he was what time showed he was. A decent starter, who can win you some games.

Kind of like Andy Dalton.

Hey, I like Andy Dalton and I’m not in any way meaning to disrespect him. And I’m not saying Dak is Troy Aikman But Dalton’s not the future here. He’s a solid mid-level type starter that is going to make some good money next year as the starter for another team. His price tag will be too high for us to keep him as a backup and unless I’m dead wrong (which I very well could be!) I think Dak will be signed to a 4-5 year deal this offseason.

Andy Dalton is the 2020 version of Steve Beuerlein.

Dalton may not be the future , but neither is paying Dak 40M a year........... well not in a future that includes a super bowl. To Dalton's credit, he's a solid pro Qb who is more accurate and throws a better ball than Dak.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
It was 1991. A young Troy Aikman is injured in the 12th game of the season and will miss the rest of the reg season. The Cowboys at that time were in the thick of the playoff race and could ill afford losing their starting QB. When Aikman went down , the Cowboys were 7-5, fighting for a wild card spot in the playoffs. It looked somewhat bleak.

BUT...we had an excellent backup QB named Steve Beuerlein, who led the Cowboys to 4 straight wins, clinching a WC playoff spot. Even led them to a wild card playoff win against Chicago in the playoffs. The dream ended in Det though in a divisional round loss.

Believe it or not, at that juncture, some Cowboys fans were calling for Aikman to be traded and Beurlein to be named the starter in ‘92. Jimmy Johnson knew better. Beuerlein was an excellent QB in smaller doses, but not for big doses. The rest of his career, he was what time showed he was. A decent starter, who can win you some games.

Hey, I like Andy Dalton and I’m not in any way meaning to disrespect him. And I’m not saying Dak is Troy Aikman But Dalton’s not the future here. He’s a solid mid-level type starter that is going to make some good money next year as the starter for another team. His price tag will be too high for us to keep him as a backup and unless I’m dead wrong (which I very well could be!) I think Dak will be signed to a 4-5 year deal this offseason.

That is a real good comp. Dalton is a decent QB. He will win some games. Not a difference maker and not a guy that will beat a great defense.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The team improved as the season went on, the special teams and defense especially. It would have been great to see what the team would have been like if Prescott didn't get injured.

Steve007

Reaction score

Dak's price is too high.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I see a team concept with Andy where with Dak players expecting him to carry the team

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dalton may not be the future , but neither is paying Dak 40M a year........... well not in a future that includes a super bowl. To Dalton's credit, he's a solid pro Qb who is more accurate and throws a better ball than Dak.
why isn't Dak the future?

Dalton is a has been, his time has come and gone, if he ever had a time....

if we decide to roll the dice with Dalton next year, that's a clear indication we are planning to tank and go for top draft pick.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Dak's price is too high.
Price to High? I thought Jerry Jones said you would be shocked by the amount he would write on the check for another Super Bowl. In a book he said he would write a check for $250,0000 for a Super Bowl.

I guess he was fooling the Arlington Jonesboys fans again. Here is another Arlington Jonesboys fan drowning in that Arlington Jonesboys Kool-Aid.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
you mean Dalton needs to be carried, but Dak carries the offense.....
Andy does not cost much Dak asking for ransom big difference and between them the 2 the drop is not much...you do the math build the team or pay an insane amount of money for one good Jag

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Andy does not cost much Dak asking for ransom big difference and between them the 2 the drop is not much...you do the math build the team or pay an insane amount of money for one good Jag
Andy sucks, that's why he doesn't cost much...there were several interim starting positions available this year and NONE of the teams wanted him...

there is a HUGE HUGE drop off in play....take a look at the offensive results yourself....or close your eyes and pretend. your choice

and Dak is not asking for a ransom. he is negotiating at current NFL top 10 QB market value......

and why would paying Dak stop us from building a team? no one seems to be able to explain it, although everyone keeps pointing to it...

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Andy sucks, that's why he doesn't cost much...there were several interim starting positions available this year and NONE of the teams wanted him...

there is a HUGE HUGE drop off in play....take a look at the offensive results yourself....or close your eyes and pretend. your choice

and Dak is not asking for a ransom. he is negotiating at current NFL top 10 QB market value......

and why would paying Dak stop us from building a team? no one seems to be able to explain it, although everyone keeps pointing to it...

Exactly, and, if you look at the top 10, he's somewhere in that list imo. Here are my top 11 QBs in the NFL atm. Why top 11? Like the Nostalgia Critic, I like to go one step beyond.

11. Ryan Tannehill
10. Lamar Jackson
9. Josh Allen
8. Jared Goff
7. Derek Carr
6. Dak Prescott
5. Russell Wilson
4. Drew Brees when healthy
3. Deshaun Watson (excellent QB on a horrible team and just earned a massive contract)
2. Aaron Rodgers
1. Patrick Mahomes (massive contract)

The odd thing is, only 3 QBs on this list were taken from round 2 on later. Russell Wilson and, of course, Dak Prescott. Beating out the likes of Matt Stafford (an excellent QB as well, but imo not quite top 11), Carson Wentz (who has about the same sized contract as Goff and about what Dak is asking for), and Matt Ryan. I'd have included Tom Brady, but I think he's also just outside top 11 right now for this season. His decline has been noticeable since the Super Bowl he won against the Rams and really showed starting last season imo. Even if I put Brady in the top 11, Dak is still a better QB than he is at this moment. Imo, you MUST pay a QB like him. It's hard to find a QB as good as him, and to have gotten him in the 4th round is impressive. In fact, he's had the cheapest contract of anyone on that list given his draft position. If anything, he SHOULD be paid ahead of Goff and Wentz just on that basis alone, not to mention the fact that he's a superior QB to the two of them who were drafted 1 and 2 respectively.

75boyz

Reaction score
Beuerlein's defense, running game and coaching were far superior. So to make the comparison for me requires an understanding that Dalton is working with far less support.

kskboys

Reaction score
Over paying for wrong players...ala Jaylon Smith or Zeke...

.we might have at the time handed largest contracts to Smith or Martin or Fredrick....but it's slight over payment for players that produce....same with Cooper or Dak.....
Or, paying a few players huge amounts. That will also kill you as you'll have weaknesses elsewhere as well as poor backups.

kskboys

Reaction score
Exactly, and, if you look at the top 10, he's somewhere in that list imo. Here are my top 11 QBs in the NFL atm. Why top 11? Like the Nostalgia Critic, I like to go one step beyond.

11. Ryan Tannehill
10. Lamar Jackson
9. Josh Allen
8. Jared Goff
7. Derek Carr
6. Dak Prescott
5. Russell Wilson
4. Drew Brees when healthy
3. Deshaun Watson (excellent QB on a horrible team and just earned a massive contract)
2. Aaron Rodgers
1. Patrick Mahomes (massive contract)

The odd thing is, only 3 QBs on this list were taken from round 2 on later. Russell Wilson and, of course, Dak Prescott. Beating out the likes of Matt Stafford (an excellent QB as well, but imo not quite top 11), Carson Wentz (who has about the same sized contract as Goff and about what Dak is asking for), and Matt Ryan. I'd have included Tom Brady, but I think he's also just outside top 11 right now for this season. His decline has been noticeable since the Super Bowl he won against the Rams and really showed starting last season imo. Even if I put Brady in the top 11, Dak is still a better QB than he is at this moment. Imo, you MUST pay a QB like him. It's hard to find a QB as good as him, and to have gotten him in the 4th round is impressive. In fact, he's had the cheapest contract of anyone on that list given his draft position. If anything, he SHOULD be paid ahead of Goff and Wentz just on that basis alone, not to mention the fact that he's a superior QB to the two of them who were drafted 1 and 2 respectively.
Nice list. Although I'd switch around a bit, that's about right.

Herbort is right on the cusp of making this list.

I'd prolly put Matt Ryan at 11.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Nice list. Although I'd switch around a bit, that's about right.

Herbort is right on the cusp of making this list.

I'd prolly put Matt Ryan at 11.

Thank you. I agree with you about Herbert. I'd have him close to the top list as well. I'd put Matt Ryan in at 11, but I think Tannehill beats him out just based on the job he's done. Though, given that Tannehill has Derrick Henry certainly makes things easier for him. On that front, I could see switching Ryan for Tannehill.