Anonymous Agent Rips Jerry: I Don't Think They Want To Win Above All

cowboyed

Reaction score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-nfl-agent-i-think-the-game-has-passed-him-by

In an survey of player agents about the state of the NFL conducted by The Athletic's Ben Standig, one agent speaking about Jones believes "the game has passed him by."

"I don't think they want to win above all," the agent said when ranking the Cowboys as the most unstable franchise in the league. "Jerry (Jones) wants to turn profits and make headlines.”
I believe that overall Jerry has been an inconsistent GM and in recent years has become a figurehead. Throughout his entire career as GM Jerry and CFO and VP of Player Personnel - Stephen, have not only constructed but destructed this team and that is why we are frequently lords of the regular season at best, particularly when other teams in our division are appreciably flawed or weak.
Sure Jerry does a lot of talking in the media and it is his team as owner but at 81 years he is both physically and mentally worn down by Father Time. Stephen controls the finances and impacts the team more than Jerry's mouth. Stephen in effect is co-owner of the Cowboys and he will inherit this team as a formality when Jerry becomes totally age-incapacitated or passes.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yup. Those insisting that Jerry wants to win more than anything are just not paying attention.

Jerry wants glory for himself above all.
Tough to argue against that, but he does want to win, just not at the expense of someone else getting all the credit.

They have managed to get some pretty good players in here over the years, but the big problem IMO is the type of coaches Jerry is willing to hire just aren’t good enough to win in the playoffs against the better minds in the league.

That’s what I saw in the last three playoff losses anyway….completely out coached…and that’s 100% on Jerry and his ego.

Hardline

Reaction score
I usually dismiss anonymous sources as cowards that won't attach themselves to their claims. But what this anonymous source said is what everyone outside of Rockport would say.

kskboys

Reaction score
Tough to argue against that, but he does want to win, just not at the expense of someone else getting all the credit.

They have managed to get some pretty good players in here over the years, but the big problem IMO is the type of coaches Jerry is willing to hire just aren’t good enough to win in the playoffs against the better minds in the league.

That’s what I saw in the last three playoff losses anyway….completely out coached…and that’s 100% on Jerry and his ego.
Does he? He's admitted that he's bad at his job, but insists on doing it anyway. As you're saying, he knowingly hires bad coaches.

All of his actions point toward a man who doesn't care about winning.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
No. Only the Arlington Jonesboys. No other GM has fired 2 HOF Super Bowl Head Coaches, ran off another HOF Super Bowl HC, and was not fired or ran out of town. No other team has gone 30 years without a NFC Championship game appearance.
That's what some people just don't get. It isn't the fact that we haven't won a SB in 30 years. It's the fact we haven't even competed in a championship game in 30 years. We haven't won a divisional playoff game in 30 years. And their response is well the ones that lost SBs and title games are just like us. They haven't won anything either. Totally stupid. You can't win titles unless you play for them. They sure want to praise those great NFC East titles though and our regular season record.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-nfl-agent-i-think-the-game-has-passed-him-by

In an survey of player agents about the state of the NFL conducted by The Athletic's Ben Standig, one agent speaking about Jones believes "the game has passed him by."

"I don't think they want to win above all," the agent said when ranking the Cowboys as the most unstable franchise in the league. "Jerry (Jones) wants to turn profits and make headlines.”
So the media / agents has caught up to the fans after how many years? That Jerry is in the Al Davis category.

leeblair

Reaction score
It seems as if we read this same story the last time Dak was begging for a deal.
Dak's agent is getting desperate.

Loso86

Reaction score

Why be scared to say who you are!? Lol must like talking crap but love taking their money!

Creeper

Reaction score

Shocking! Not!

I think Jerry is losing his marbles, honestly.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I find it hilarious an agent is offended by someone putting money above everything else.
Jerry obviously enjoys the money, and his ego is too big to ever admit he is the biggest obstacle to winning. His vanity is his biggest motivation always. He's on the Al Davis path now. He could very well pass on as a 30-year, ineffective (football) loser. Any perceived accomplishments will be negated by his refusal to step aside and hire qualified, competent professionals.

Think I'm kidding? Go read up on Al Davis. He was incredibly innovative, took calculated gambles, and beat all the odds early in the Raiders history. Served in the military, sweet-talked (conned) his way into football as a scout and assistant coach.

He passed in 2011 and the Raiders were largely irrelevant since their last Super Bowl win in 1984, minus one blowout loss to Tampa Bay in 2003. He's mainly thought of now as stubborn and arrogant control freak. Sound familiar?

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Data doesn’t lie. Offseason spend in the bottom 5 the last 10 years or whatever that article stated. Now that he’s in the HoF, he really doesn’t care anymore. He’s already got 3 Super Bowl rings, in the HoF, and owns the richest franchise in history. On paper that checks all the boxes. He literally doesn’t care about winning and we see this every year in the offseason.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

There's no longer any question about this. We have far too much evidence now.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Well of course the actual game has passed him by. But considering all of that this team has won 36 games in 3 seasons. Someone is doing okay over there.
Would you rather go 12-5 and not even make it to a title game three years in a row, or go 10-7 one year and go on a run to win a SB?

tunahelper

Reaction score
Jerry has a hobby. It's his toy, and nobody else is going to play with it.

He is not putting profit above wins. He wants to play GM. It's not about money.
No it's a ton of debt that he financed personally. Jerry is on record stating he could not believe the bank fronted him the financing without enough collateral.

Jerry holds the note himself and that is why money will always come before winning.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
No it's a ton of debt that he financed personally. Jerry is on record stating he could not believe the bank fronted him the financing without enough collateral.

Jerry holds the note himself and that is why money will always come before winning.
I don't believe this is true now. Jerry purchased the team decades ago in 1989 for $140 Million. Today in 2024, the team is valued at $10.1 Billion. The entirety of the original purchase price is only 1.39% of the current value.