Another failure from the top down if Barber cannot go

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
For whatever reason, the Cowboys tried to run Marion Barber into the ground this season. Now with Felix Jones out for the year....and Marion Barber possibly out as well, the Cowboys are in panic mode about the RB situation. When you see teams like the Giants utilize 3 different RBs....when you see the Pats get down to the 4th back on their depth chart...when you see the Steelers utilize 3 RBs.....I could go on and on. But just like miscalculating the backup QB spot might cause us a playoff spot...so has the handling of the RB situation in Dallas. At the end of the day we are talking about a RB...not a QB....a RB. With the weapons we have at the receiver position..with the OL we have....how hard is it to have a couple of quality NFL players that can run the d*mn ball. I listed some teams that employ multiple...and there are plenty more. The ORGANIZATION decieded to go with rookies and a 1st time starter. So now is NOT the time to tell us these young guys are not ready. I mean you cannot keep RBs on your practice squad year after year if you do NOT think they can play. That is really not a position that should require a WHOLE lot of development. And if guys take longer than a year to figure it out you should move on to somone else. I liked the little I have seen from Coleman, so call the guy up and lets play.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbailey423;2462043 said:
For whatever reason, the Cowboys tried to run Marion Barber into the ground this season. Now with Felix Jones out for the year....and Marion Barber possibly out as well, the Cowboys are in panic mode about the RB situation. When you see teams like the Giants utilize 3 different RBs....when you see the Pats get down to the 4th back on their depth chart...when you see the Steelers utilize 3 RBs.....I could go on and on. But just like miscalculating the backup QB spot might cause us a playoff spot...so has the handling of the RB situation in Dallas. At the end of the day we are talking about a RB...not a QB....a RB. With the weapons we have at the receiver position..with the OL we have....how hard is it to have a couple of quality NFL players that can run the d*mn ball. I listed some teams that employ multiple...and there are plenty more. The ORGANIZATION decieded to go with rookies and a 1st time starter. So now is NOT the time to tell us these young guys are not ready. I mean you cannot keep RBs on your practice squad year after year if you do NOT think they can play. That is really not a position that should require a WHOLE lot of development. And if guys take longer than a year to figure it out you should move on to somone else. I liked the little I have seen from Coleman, so call the guy up and lets play.
I can agree with the overuse of Barber, but didn't the front office address the running back position adequately by drafting Felix Jones and Tashard Choice?

Boysboy

Reaction score
bbailey423;2462043 said:

FYI-the Steelers backup RB, Mewelde(sp) Moore, has only been serviceable, at best. He's done a nice job, but he's nowhere near Willie Parker. And Kevin Faulk is hardly an every down back for the Pats. He's been an asset to them, but he's nothing more than a part time player.

Our RB depth has been fine all year-quit your whining.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
DallasEast;2462053 said:
I can agree with the overuse of Barber, but didn't the front office address the running back position adequately by drafting Felix Jones and Tashard Choice?
we did....then we did NOT use them. Now everyone is wondering out loud what are we going to do. And like I said...all up and down the league teams have used multiple backs. Like I said, the RB position should NOT be rocket science. Sure there are blitz pick ups etc.....but excuses for not knowing how to do that in weeks 13 is on the coaches. And furthermore it's BS! They have their reasons for working Barber like a mule all year and now we are going to find out if anyone else on this team can run the ball. And if we find out we have NOBODY else, it is an organizational failure.

djmajestik

Reaction score
DallasEast;2462053 said:

Exactly. You just cannot expect ANYONE to have that much depth all around. We got hit with the injury bug BAD this year, and that is nothing that can be controlled.

Nothing you can do about it, look at other teams WITH INJURIES and how they've fared. Look at the Pats. Sometimes things just happen. There can't be a contingency plan at EVERY position.

Boysboy

Reaction score
bbailey423;2462055 said:
we did....then we did NOT use them. Now everyone is wondering out loud what are we going to do. And like I said...all up and down the league teams have used multiple backs. Like I said, the RB position should NOT be rocket science. Sure there are blitz pick ups etc.....but excuses for not knowing how to do that in weeks 13 is on the coaches. And furthermore it's BS! They have their reasons for working Barber like a mule all year and now we are going to find out if anyone else on this team can run the ball. And if we find out we have NOBODY else, it is an organizational failure.

If we didn't workhorse him in the 2nd Skins game, we would be 7-5 right now w/ our playoff hopes next to nil.

Just saying...

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Boysboy;2462054 said:
FYI-the Steelers backup RB, Mewelde(sp) Moore, has only been serviceable, at best. He's done a nice job, but he's nowhere near Willie Parker. And Kevin Faulk is hardly an every down back for the Pats. He's been an asset to them, but he's nothing more than a part time player.

how would you know our RB depth has been fine all year when we don't ever use it...and we are all about to find out if our RB depth is as fine as you say it is. No one outside of Dallas gives a crap about whether or not Barber is hurt, because all RBs are beat up at this point. And to be honest, neither do I. If our RB depth is fine, then quit moaning about Barbers pinkie toe and put someone else on the field and lets play. This is the kind of crap Emmit is talking about....an excuse laiden organization!!!!!

Boysboy

Reaction score
bbailey423;2462058 said:
how would you know our RB depth has been fine all year when we don't ever use it...and we are all about to find out if our RB depth is as fine as you say it is. No one outside of Dallas gives a crap about whether or not Barber is hurt, because all RBs are beat up at this point. And to be honest, neither do I. If our RB depth is fine, then quit moaning about Barbers pinkie toe and put someone else on the field and lets play. This is the kind of crap Emmit is talking about....an excuse laiden organization!!!!!

Do you think we would have won the 2nd Skins game if Barber didn't get the workload?

Really-say all you want, but he practically saved our season that night. Otherwise, we would be talking about next year instead.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Boysboy;2462057 said:
If we didn't workhorse him in the 2nd Skins game, we would be 7-5 right now w/ our playoff hopes next to nil.

Just saying...
again, that say's more about who we aren't versus who we are....and the overuse of Portis is catching up with the Skins (as many KNEW it would)...and we are going to find out if the oversuse of Barber will catch up with the boyz. Barber ain't the only guy on this offense receiving a paycheck...so why the overuse of a guy who has not been a full time starter since high school?

thisisepic

One and Done
Reaction score
I believe Choice has had fumbleitis or something in practice that is why he hasn't been used hardly at all.

I would rather work Barber and see what he is made of as far as a full season then have a guy come in give him rest only to fumble balls away.

But then again I could be totally wrong as they didnt use Felix much either.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Boysboy;2462059 said:
Do you think we would have won the 2nd Skins game if Barber didn't get the workload?

Really-say all you want, but he practically saved our season that night. Otherwise, we would be talking about next year instead.
see my earlier post...if the highest paid offensive coordinator in the history of the NFL cannot figure out how to win a game without laying on one guy...somebody ain't doing there job. At the end of the day, I am tired of people wondering will he or won't he play. That is the problem in Dallas. EVERYONE is banged up at this point in the year....other teams line up who they go and play. We out of fear or inability to coach em up lean on one guy. 4 out of our last 5 first round picks don't start because of this mentality. In fact, it was refreshing to see them allow Scandrick to retain his spot manning the slot....and they should have, because he can do it. Coleman has been around long enough. Call him up and let's play...no one in Pitt gives a crap about Barber and his toe.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Boysboy;2462054 said:

the Pats have used 4 different guys this year

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbailey423;2462055 said:
So, instead of stating, "how hard is it to have a couple of quality NFL players that can run the d*mn ball"--it's really should have been, "how hard is it to have a couple of quality NFL players that can run the d*mn ball play more often than they have or could have".

Got it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Oh brother. Now we want to have 4 and 5 RBs and use up roster spots. Damn the Front Office for these guys getting injured. How come they can't predict this stuff? Get a new crystal ball and drink a different brand of tea so that the tea leaves are easier to read.

I swear some people think front office work in the NFL is a freaking walk in the park. Absolutely ridiculous premise.

:madden:

Judas Priest.

Boysboy

Reaction score
bbailey423;2462071 said:
the Pats have used 4 different guys this year

I believe that's b/c of injury, yes. Malroney was IR'd awhile back, Sammy Morris is injured(if I'm wrong, correct me here), and it's not like the other 2 are world beaters(i.e. Faulk is a very good 3rd down safety valve/blitz picker-upper, but only serviceable at best).

Mash

Reaction score
Huh?

I dont think Mangement thought Felix would be out for the year and Barber hurting his toe by being stepped on was going to happen. And I dont see Barber being run to the ground. The man is a starting RB....is paid to start and play alot....I dont see 225 attempts being overworked more then any other RB that starts in this league.......Is Cleve dumb to play Jamal Lewis and give him a similar workload? Is Frank Gore overworked? Are the Chicago Bears stupid for giving their rookie RB a similar load?.....who are thier backups....???

What is wrong in having a rookie? Rookie RB's have a easy transition.......should of we picked up Hambrick? Shaun Alexander? Will they be better then Choice or Coleman?

Can we apply this logic to our outside LB's.....when Ellis got hurt....didnt Spencer fill in well? Who was their backups? Should we have a vet behind all our starters?

I suppose we should of kept Reeves because how dare we ask our rookie DB's to play.

btw...who says Barber and Felix Jones arent quality RB's....please list those 3rd string quality RB's that teams have that are so NFL ready?

If Barber cant go....Coleman will play.....and Choice will be our starter......I rather have Choice starting then Hambrick...or Alexander playing for us IMHO.

Injuries happen....its time for the young guys to fill in and play...

Im not worried to much about this game against Pitt. We could have Emmitt in his prime playing behind this OL and Pitt will still stuff our running game. Dallas will not run well.....its a given unless of course our OL somehow plays up to their potential which hasnt happened all year.

Temo

Reaction score
If 19 carries a game is too much for Barber, we should never have given him the kind of money we did.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Hostile;2462080 said:
Oh brother. Now we want to have 4 and 5 RBs and use up roster spots. Damn the Front Office for these guys getting injured. How come they can't predict this stuff? Get a new crystal ball and drink a different brand of tea so that the tea leaves are easier to read.

I swear some people think front office work in the NFL is a freaking walk in the park. Absolutely ridiculous premise.

:madden:

Judas Priest.
who said that...multiple teams have used multiple guys all year long...we have tried to get by using ONE guy....the RB position DOES take a pounding in case you missed that memo. I think the Giants have used a couple of guys that were 7th rounders. THe RB position is NOT rocket science..and if it is in Dallas, then either we have the wrong guys or the wrong coaches or the wrong offense. Again, no one else in the NFL cares about Barbers toe...either he is in or out...and if he is out, then bring up the guys on your practice squad and play ball. If they cannot play, then it is an organizational faiulre. Felix has been out a while...so we have had plenty of time to "ponder" the position.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
bbailey423;2462069 said:
see my earlier post...if the highest paid offensive coordinator in the history of the NFL cannot figure out how to win a game without laying on one guy...somebody ain't doing there job.

If one guy can win you a game then you go to him (e.g., Barber against the Skins) - a stupid coordinator tries to get too cute and thinks things like "hmmm, Barber is killing these guys, but hey, let's try something else." The fact is that if Garrett got cute and say tried a reverse that didn't work and we had to punt, people on the board would calling for his head saying "why didn't he continue to run Barber."

Frankly, the right decision is the one that wins you the game. The wrong decision is the one that starts with "well, Barber is killing them but if we give him 2 fewer carries tonight then maybe he'll be a little fresher later in the year."

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Mash;2462085 said:
Huh?

I dont think Mangement thought Felix would be out for the year and Barber hurting his toe by being stepped on was going to happen. And I dont see Barber being run to the ground. The man is a starting RB....is paid to start and play alot....I dont see 225 attempts being overworked more then any other RB that starts in this league.......Is Cleve dumb to play Jamal Lewis and give him a similar workload? Is Frank Gore overworked? Are the Chicago Bears stupid for giving their rookie RB a similar load?.....who are thier backups....???

What is wrong in having a rookie? Rookie RB's have a easy transition.......should of we picked up Hambrick? Shaun Alexander? Will they be better then Choice or Coleman?

Can we apply this logic to our outside LB's.....when Ellis got hurt....didnt Spencer fill in well? Who was their backups? Should we have a vet behind all our starters?

I suppose we should of kept Reeves because how dare we ask our rookie DB's to play.

btw...who says Barber and Felix Jones arent quality RB's....please list those 3rd string quality RB's that teams have that are so NFL ready?

If Barber cant go....Coleman will play.....and Choice will be our starter......I rather have Choice starting then Hambrick...or Alexander playing for us IMHO.

Injuries happen....its time for the young guys to fill in and play...

Im not worried to much about this game against Pitt. We could have Emmitt in his prime playing behind this OL and Pitt will still stuff our running game. Dallas will not run well.....its a given unless of course our OL somehow plays up to their potential which hasnt happened all year.
We are on the same page....if Barber cannto go, I don't want the ORGANZIATION to tell us Choice is not ready or Coleman is not ready. Get those guys on the field and let's play. That is what I am saying.