it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Overuse at 19 carries a game? :confused:

Hardly run into the ground.

joseephuss

Reaction score
bbailey423;2462071 said:
the Pats have used 4 different guys this year

They have had to use four different guys this year. Maroney got hurt and is out for the year forcing the Pats to get someone else.

The Steelers were forced to get Moore involved due to injuries to Parker and Mendenhall. Moore would have 0 carries if those other two guys had not been hurt.

Barber is on pace for 300 rushing attempts for the season. That is hardly over use. That amount would rank 188th for the most all time during a single season.

Barber is averaging 22.67 touches(rushing attempts and receptions) per game. During the 90s superbowl run, Emmitt Smith averaged more than that in rushing attempts alone. I guess the response to that would be that Marion is no Emmitt. I agree and he is not being asked to carry the load that Emmitt carried. Not even close, which is why he is not being over used.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Temo;2462087 said:
If 19 carries a game is too much for Barber, we should never have given him the kind of money we did.

Beat me to it! :eek::

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2462089 said:
If one guy can win you a game then you go to him (e.g., Barber against the Skins) - a stupid coordinator tries to get too cute and thinks things like "hmmm, Barber is killing these guys, but hey, let's try something else." The fact is that if Garrett got cute and say tried a reverse that didn't work and we had to punt, people on the board would calling for his head saying "why didn't he continue to run Barber."

Frankly, the right decision is the one that wins you the game. The wrong decision is the one that starts with "well, Barber is killing them but if we give him 2 fewer carries tonight then maybe he'll be a little fresher later in the year."
tell that to the SKins who are limping to the finish line because they leaned on Portis all year. We HAVE weapons. WE have highly paid weapons....that game is over and done with. I am talking about NOW. I am talking to the "what are we going to do if Barber can't go". That kind of attitude needs to stop. The QB is one thing...but the RB position is a position that gets beat up a lot...and Felix has not played in forever...so the COwboys should KNOW what they are going to do!

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
joseephuss;2462094 said:
They have had to use four different guys this year. Maroney got hurt and is out for the year forcing the Pats to get someone else.

The Steelers were forced to get Moore involved due to injuries to Parker and Mendenhall. Moore would have 0 carries if those other two guys had not been hurt.

Barber is on pace for 300 rushing attempts for the season. That is hardly over use. That amount would rank 188th for the most all time during a single season.

Barber is averaging 22.67 touches(rushing attempts and receptions) per game. During the 90s superbowl run, Emmitt Smith averaged more than that in rushing attempts alone. I guess the response to that would be that Marion is no Emmitt. I agree and he is not being asked to carry the load that Emmitt carried. Not even close, which is why he is not being over used.
did you just compare Marion to Emmit...did you just mention the 90s boys in the same sentence with this team? I guess you did hear Emmit go off on this edition of the Cowboys?

tunahelper

Reaction score
Barber has not been overused. He is paid like an everydown back, so he needs to be used like one.

He needs to play and I think he will. Any tough RB that sits over a sore pinky toe is a pansy, plain and simple. Wrap it and shoot some pain killers, whatever but you should play.

Look to Witten for guidance. He has played with broken ribs, which is a lot more pain to deal with.

zeromaster

Reaction score
Based on the number of the replies, the OP seems to be going for attention.

Let me ask you this: is Barber's toe problem due to overuse? And if so, where are the corresponding toe injuries on other clubs that heavily feature one back?

The only thing I can agree with is that Felix and Tashard should have gotten maybe a couple more touches each in earlier games, but a lot of that is dictated by the score at the time. Blame Garrett if you want.

But keep painting with a broad brush by all means. Don't expect any masterpieces with that technique.
:lmao:

Boysboy

Reaction score
bbailey423;2462098 said:
tell that to the SKins who are limping to the finish line because they leaned on Portis all year. We HAVE weapons. WE have highly paid weapons....that game is over and done with. I am talking about NOW. I am talking to the "what are we going to do if Barber can't go". That kind of attitude needs to stop. The QB is one thing...but the RB position is a position that gets beat up a lot...and Felix has not played in forever...so the COwboys should KNOW what they are going to do!

You know what I find funny about all this? Weren't there alot of complaints on this board how Garrett was trying to force-feed the ball to TO just to make him happy? Now all of a sudden we're saying we're giving the load to Barber too much and we're paying the price?

joseephuss

Reaction score
bbailey423;2462101 said:
did you just compare Marion to Emmit...did you just mention the 90s boys in the same sentence with this team? I guess you did hear Emmit go off on this edition of the Cowboys?

I knew that would be the response. I even addressed it prior to you responding and you still missed it.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
zeromaster;2462104 said:

Let me ask you this: is Barber's toe problem due to overuse? And if so, where are the corresponding toe injuries on other clubs that heavily feature one back?

The only thing I can agree with is that Felix and Tashard should have gotten maybe a couple more touches each in earlier games, but a lot of that is dictated by the score at the time. Blame Garrett if you want.

But keep painting with a broad brush by all means. Don't expect any masterpieces with that technique.
did not suggest Barbers toe injury is due to overuse. My point is this...if Barber cannot go, that should not be an excuse for our inability to play football. Other teams all over the NFL call on multiple backs to get the job done...and we need to do the same. If we can't, then it is an organizational failure. Much like the back up QB debacle.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I think the fact that Felix has been hurt for a long while now has helped lead to this leaning on Marion situation over the last couple of months.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
bbailey423;2462098 said:

At the end of the game you run the ball to run down the clock if you can. We executed EXACTLY what every team in the league wishes they could do in that situation. We took the ball in the middle of the 4th quarter and didn't give it back. You don't accomplish that by passing the ball.

This wasn't about keeping a guy out too long b/c he wanted the stats. It was about using the weapon that was killing the Skins.

Frankly, I don't think you understand the game. At all.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Boysboy;2462105 said:
You know what I find funny about all this? Weren't there alot of complaints on this board how Garrett was trying to force-feed the ball to TO just to make him happy? Now all of a sudden we're saying we're giving the load to Barber too much and we're paying the price?

I don't see how we are "paying the price" -- Barber has a freak injury. Has nothing to do with wearing down at all.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbailey423;2462088 said:
who said that...multiple teams have used multiple guys all year long.
What you don't seem to realize is that they have pulled those guys off the scrap heaps. Not off the A list.

we have tried to get by using ONE guy....the RB position DOES take a pounding in case you missed that memo.
I played RB and FB. Don't try and tell me what a pounding they take.

Second we have used 3 guys, not one guy. By all means check your stats page because you are way off.

You act like Marion Barber has been run into the ground. A simple check of the facts would show you that he has carried the ball 225 times. 7 other RBs have more carries than he does and none of them have been run into the ground either.

I think the Giants have used a couple of guys that were 7th rounders.
So the hell what? We have a couple who are 4th rounders. That and a buck will buy us a bad burger on the dollar menu.

THe RB position is NOT rocket science.
Then how come you don't understand it?

.and if it is in Dallas, then either we have the wrong guys or the wrong coaches or the wrong offense.
In this case, just the wrong silly ideas.

Again, no one else in the NFL cares about Barbers toe.
That has to be one of the dumbest statements I have ever heard trying to justify a silly idea. I would ask you to clarify it or amplify it but I honestly think it should stand alone in it's silliness.

either he is in or out...and if he is out, then bring up the guys on your practice squad and play ball.
You have some kind of idea that if he is out we won't? Did you hear Wade's Press Conference where he was asked this? Were you paying attention to it?

If they cannot play, then it is an organizational faiulre.
Who says they cannot? you? Oh yeah, I'm really going to put a lot of weight on that statement.

Felix has been out a while...so we have had plenty of time to "ponder" the position.
Their butts itched and they wanted to scratch them. Priorities.

The Panch

Reaction score
Arch Stanton;2462091 said:

His production, particulary in the 4th quarter where he was at his best last season, has prove that to be true. Barber's just not an every down back. Even on a team that passes to set up the run.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
bbailey423;2462058 said:
how would you know our RB depth has been fine all year when we don't ever use it...and we are all about to find out if our RB depth is as fine as you say it is. No one outside of Dallas gives a crap about whether or not Barber is hurt, because all RBs are beat up at this point. And to be honest, neither do I. If our RB depth is fine, then quit moaning about Barbers pinkie toe and put someone else on the field and lets play. This is the kind of crap Emmit is talking about....an excuse laiden organization!!!!!

We were using Felix, not as much as we should have I thought but we were using him....name me one team that has starters at every position, with back-ups that should start for someone..... I guess Jimmy Johnson is a horrible coach or our organization is horrible because if Emmitt ever went down we were in serious trouble.....

We drafted 2 backs this season to help Barber and up until he got hurt everything was fine....Look at every team in the NFL with nice RBs if one of them went down they might have nice backups, but none of them would do the job that the starter does....

Turner in ATL his backup is Norwood, serviceable but would not run for 1300 yards or else they never give Turner that money.

Peterson in Minn. nuff said...

Then again what if Barber can't go and Choice runs wild for 190, ur crying b4 the game and we all know theirs no crying in football :lmao2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Arch Stanton;2462091 said:

Right on the friggin' :money:

This is beyond silly.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2462135 said:
At the end of the game you run the ball to run down the clock if you can. We executed EXACTLY what every team in the league wishes they could do in that situation. We took the ball in the middle of the 4th quarter and didn't give it back. You don't accomplish that by passing the ball.

This wasn't about keeping a guy out too long b/c he wanted the stats. It was about using the weapon that was killing the Skins.

Frankly, I don't think you understand the game. At all.
trust me..I understand the game...better than most...and all I know is ONE guy touched the ball I think 16 out of 19 times....we did what we had to do to win. We shall see if our lack of attention to the bigger picture is going hurt us. My point is simple...a team with Super Bowl aspirations should have more than one capable RB. Again, this ain't the QB position, where if you lose your main guy your season is over. We are talking about the RB on a team like Dallas that has a TON of other weapons. So Barber sitting out should not prevent us from being able to play. If it does, then I contend it is an organizational failure.

Angus

Reaction score
DallasEast;2462078 said:
So, instead of stating, "how hard is it to have a couple of quality NFL players that can run the d*mn ball"--it's really should have been, "how hard is it to have a couple of quality NFL players that can run the d*mn ball play more often than they have or could have".

Got it.

Yes.bbailey is right. The running backs have been misused this year. I expected Barber to be the starter as a title but to be held out for much of the game until a finish was needed as happened last year. Jones and Choice should have been used to keep Barber fresh. If that had been done, Jones may not have been hurt, or Barber either. Barber would have been available to rush, rush, rush against the Commanders when needed, but not worn out at the close.

:)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
zeromaster;2462104 said:

An outstanding question for which there will be no cognizant or poignant answer.