Another failure from the top down if Barber cannot go

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2462135 said:
At the end of the game you run the ball to run down the clock if you can. We executed EXACTLY what every team in the league wishes they could do in that situation. We took the ball in the middle of the 4th quarter and didn't give it back. You don't accomplish that by passing the ball.

This wasn't about keeping a guy out too long b/c he wanted the stats. It was about using the weapon that was killing the Skins.

Frankly, I don't think you understand the game. At all.
It's early. Who cares. Post of the day.

That was a clinic.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Hostile;2462137 said:
What you don't seem to realize is that they have pulled those guys off the scrap heaps. Not off the A list.

I played RB and FB. Don't try and tell me what a pounding they take.

Second we have used 3 guys, not one guy. By all means check your stats page because you are way off.

You act like Marion Barber has been run into the ground. A simple check of the facts would show you that he has carried the ball 225 times. 7 other RBs have more carries than he does and none of them have been run into the ground either.

So the hell what? We have a couple who are 4th rounders. That and a buck will buy us a bad burger on the dollar menu.

Then how come you don't understand it?

In this case, just the wrong silly ideas.

That has to be one of the dumbest statements I have ever heard trying to justify a silly idea. I would ask you to clarify it or amplify it but I honestly think it should stand alone in it's silliness.

You have some kind of idea that if he is out we won't? Did you hear Wade's Press Conference where he was asked this? Were you paying attention to it?

Who says they cannot? you? Oh yeah, I'm really going to put a lot of weight on that statement.

Their butts itched and they wanted to scratch them. Priorities.
yawn...the sound of you own voice will drown you

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbailey423;2462142 said:
trust me..I understand the game...better than most...and all I know is ONE guy touched the ball I think 16 out of 19 times....we did what we had to do to win. We shall see if our lack of attention to the bigger picture is going hurt us. My point is simple...a team with Super Bowl aspirations should have more than one capable RB. Again, this ain't the QB position, where if you lose your main guy your season is over. We are talking about the RB on a team like Dallas that has a TON of other weapons. So Barber sitting out should not prevent us from being able to play. If it does, then I contend it is an organizational failure.
The bigger picture was winning the game. You act like that quarter of football is what injured him. He was hurt 2 games later on a fluke play. My gosh, talk about clinging to the bottle.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DallasEast;2462053 said:
I can agree with the overuse of Barber, but didn't the front office address the running back position adequately by drafting Felix Jones and Tashard Choice?

Ding Ding Ding. Now he could point out that rookie RBs are usually the ones that struggle with pass protection and that we had two rookie RBs and no vet backup. So in that area it can be a little dicey.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
DallasEast;2462053 said:
I can agree with the overuse of Barber, but didn't the front office address the running back position adequately by drafting Felix Jones and Tashard Choice?

Seems to me that Felix Jones is the one that has been overused...

...he's the one who is out for the season.

joseephuss

Reaction score
bbailey423;2462142 said:
trust me..I understand the game...better than most...and all I know is ONE guy touched the ball I think 16 out of 19 times....we did what we had to do to win. We shall see if our lack of attention to the bigger picture is going hurt us. My point is simple...a team with Super Bowl aspirations should have more than one capable RB. Again, this ain't the QB position, where if you lose your main guy your season is over. We are talking about the RB on a team like Dallas that has a TON of other weapons. So Barber sitting out should not prevent us from being able to play. If it does, then I contend it is an organizational failure.

Then you are not paying attention. Dallas has already lost one running back in Felix Jones. If they lose Barber that would be losing two running backs. The Steelers lost two running backs for a time and had to get by with Moore. If Dallas loses Barber then they will have to get by with Choice. Like the Steelers I think they can get by, but both clubs would probably prefer their starter were not injured.

Plus your are complaining about something that has not yet happened or may not even happen.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
joseephuss;2462162 said:
Then you are not paying attention. Dallas has already lost one running back in Felix Jones. If they lose Barber that would be losing two running backs. The Steelers lost two running backs for a time and had to get by with Moore. If Dallas loses Barber then they will have to get by with Choice. Like the Steelers I think they can get by, but both clubs would probably prefer their starter were not injured.

Plus your are complaining about something that has not yet happened or may not even happen.
Yet another fact that will not receive a cognizant or poignant response.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know if it's just me, but I have a hard time understanding the point of the OP. Not to knock him either.

The Cowboys face another organizational failure, because...

- The front office did not adequately address the RB position
- The coaches have not adequately rotated the RBs in game situations?
- Barber is overused
- Coaches haven't prepared the backups to play if Barber can't go because they haven't gotten enough PT in other games.

I'm just curious. Is that the argument?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2462168 said:
I don't know if it's just me, but I have a hard time understanding the point of the OP. Not to knock him either.

- Barber is overused
- Coaches haven't prepared the backups to play if Barber can't go because they haven't gotten enough PT in other games.

It is. Despite the fact they drafted 2 talented RBs, not overworked any of the 3 on the roster, and haven't made a decision on whether to call up Coleman or not. There was absolutely nothing done or accomplished at RB. We are doomed and will rue the day.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
joseephuss;2462162 said:

the Steelers are 9-3....playing the toughest schedule in the NFL...and playing an assortment of RBs. Dallas needs to line up whomever they got that is healthy and play. They kept these guys around for a reason. So let's play them. And if the CANNOT play, then shame on the organization. I can't make it any more plain than that. In fact I think it was Greg Ellis who said "I like the way they do things up in New England, no one is crying and moaning about who is in and who is out, they just line up and play"

AbeBeta

Reaction score
bbailey423;2462142 said:

Organizational failure? This off-season we locked up Barber, drafted Felix Jones, and for good measure spent a 4th rounder on a nice looking 3rd string RB.

We can complain about a lot of things. But what this organization did at the RB position this off-season is a huge success.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;2462171 said:
It is. Despite the fact they drafted 2 talented RBs, not overworked any of the 3 on the roster, and haven't made a decision on whether to call up Coleman or not. There was absolutely nothing done or accomplished at RB. We are doomed and will rue the day.
So if that is the argument, then what should the Cowboys have done differently? Because I can see an argument early on about the abandonment of the rushing attempts in certain games or giving Felix a few more touches, but overall, I don't see how they could've done many things differently.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2462168 said:

- Barber is overused

Fair question. Sorry I was not as clear....the RBs have not been rotated....and the backups have not been prepared to play. There have been games ALL year where Barber clearly looked like he could use a breather, then when they finally let Choice get a run, and Choice would break off 5 yards...behind the same OL Barber was getting stuffed beheind...he was yanked.

khiladi

Reaction score
A dislocated toe has nothing to do with being worn down...

joseephuss

Reaction score
The Panch;2462138 said:
His production, particulary in the 4th quarter where he was at his best last season, has prove that to be true. Barber's just not an every down back. Even on a team that passes to set up the run.

Actually that shows more about the team than it does Barber. He has had fewer opportunities to run the ball in the 4th quarter this season than he did last year. Also, his 4th quarter stats were aided by a couple of long runs that kind of skew the numbers. He is performing very similar to what he did last year in the 4th quarter. He just has not broken free for a 40 yard or so TD run late in the game like he did in 2007. He has moved the chains.

Barber already has more 4th quarter receptions this season(13 for 160 yards) than last year(10 for 68 yards). His 4th quarter production is still there it is just distributed a little differently.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbailey423;2462172 said:
the Steelers are 9-3....playing the toughest schedule in the NFL...and playing an assortment of RBs. Dallas needs to line up whomever they got that is healthy and play. They kept these guys around for a reason. So let's play them. And if the CANNOT play, then shame on the organization. I can't make it any more plain than that. In fact I think it was Greg Ellis who said "I like the way they do things up in New England, no one is crying and moaning about who is in and who is out, they just line up and play"
:lmao2:

It gets worse.

Barber has 870 yards rushing and 7 TDs. He can't play.

Felix averaged 8.9 yards per carry and scored 3 great TDs before he got hurt. He obviously can't play. What were we thinking drafting that guy?

Choice has averaged almost 5 yards per carry and been a stud on Special Teams, but he can't play either.

We have no one who can run the football.

Excuse me, I gotta go pull my panties out. They got all wadded up I'm so pissed off.

Angus

Reaction score
Hostile;2462147 said:
An outstanding question for which there will be no cognizant or poignant answer.

Oh, I don't know, Hostile. It's a matter of percentages. If Barber wasn't used so much the opportunity for him to get hurt would be less.

It is all guesswork, but I don't think the best utilization of Barber has been used this year. Somebody earlier said he is not really an every down back, and I believe that. The Peter Principle has been at work.

:)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2462177 said:
So if that is the argument, then what should the Cowboys have done differently? Because I can see an argument early on about the abandonment of the rushing attempts in certain games or giving Felix a few more touches, but overall, I don't see how they could've done many things differently.
Yeah, but your eyes are open. So you would see the truth. It is a tragic flaw of yours. Common sense I mean.

:wink2:

khiladi

Reaction score
Was Felix run into the ground when he got turf-toe? Last time I checked, Marion was on the field way more than Felix was, prior to Marion getting injured...