Another season in decline; same franchise built on ignoring the truth

ejthedj

Reaction score
This post is the definition of a slippery slope fallacy. Time to back off the ledge.

rags747

Reaction score
I was Anti Dak after his bad sophomore season. I have come around on the kid for awhile now. I do like him, I do love that he is All American Apple Pie, He is a phenom leader and I like the kid and wish him well Bigly! Is he the most talented, No. I do believe we will get a SB out of him though, he’s a great freaking kid that Momma obviously raised right...How could I root against that. Saying all of that I take Mahomes in a heartbeat but I do like Dak!

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
It can be hard to look in the mirror. Most people won't. They refuse to. They'll change the way the look, the way they talk, the way they vote, the scene they frequent, the tone they live, but they won't ever look deep into that mirror. Never.

Way too much reality in that reflection.

No doubt Jerry is shattering mirrors in every corner of the The Star today because he's the last to look in one himself. He's gonna sell this turd until the cash register stops ringing. He's an owner looking down the barrel of his own mortality, and he hasn't got the time to reevaluate right now. Twenty-five years of truth he'd rather forget altogether.

Some of us got shunned and guffawed when we had the nerve to mention three weeks ago that we really didn't know anything about this team yet. Those opponents are now a whopping 2-12 on the season. Those three wins meant absolutely nothing. They were the fool's gold of a fool's fool.

The number 10 is a nice round number, so I'll list 10 truths that are hard to hear. But like you, I could list them all day long. The cracks in this veneer are deep and troublesome.

1. How many more winnable games are there after the Jets? You've got the Commanders, and......? Look at the Buffalo and Chicago defenses. The Patriots, Rams, and Eagles twice. The Lions are no joke, nor are the Vikings. The Giants are better than they were the first time. Are there 5 more wins on the schedule? That'd be 8-8, and frankly, that seems a bit optimistic.

2. Let's get Dak out of the way, though he's just the beginning. The guy is simply average. He's inaccurate with any pressure in his face at all. He lacks confidence in himself in games like the last two weeks. If one or two pieces of the offense are missing, he's lost. Both he and Rodgers were under pressure yesterday, but Rodgers just stepped around it and dropped perfect balls everywhere. Dak threw for 0 yards on third down. He was absolutely dreadful when it mattered, just like the week before.

3. The offense is broken because of #2. Good defense simply have ZERO respect for Dallas' passing game. Scott Linehan, Kellen Moore.....doesn't really matter who's calling the plays. Defenses play downhill and aggressive against Dallas to just overwhelm the Cowboys offensive line with numbers. It negates the bevy of talent in the receiving corps. They simply know that this isn't a high-scoring offense against good defenses. They don't fear it whatsoever. And Jerry's about to dump $35 million a year on the QB running it, cementing that truth for the the next several years.

4. Zeke is starting to look like a Dez contract already.

5. So is Lawrence and Jaylon. Cooper and Dak are soon to follow.

6. Joe Thomas and Sean Lee are better than Jaylon and LVE right now. The two young guns are getting owned. Jones tore LVE up yesterday. Both of them just got smashed off the ball and juked out of their shorts. Both were completely lost in coverage. They didn't fill a single gap yesterday. Green Bay ran up the middle at will.

7. The kicker sucks. Still. As does the punter suddenly for no reason.

8. The pass rush looks pedestrian yet again. They provided some pressure yesterday to a degree, but a top tier quarterback was not really bothered. Neither will the others that follow.

9. Xavier looks lost in the back. Heath is playing by himself, and not very good at that because he's the Dak Prescott of the defense. Average at best. The corners are trying to keep up, but the pass rush is selling them out. It's a fire drill.

10. The franchise is just broken. Nobody is really the GM. Nobody is really the head coach. Nobody is really the OC or DC. It's this nebulous organizational mob by committee trying to pretend and hype an overrated roster into more than it is. Hope is still the strategy, as it has been for 25 years. They aren't willing to do what really needs to be done. You can see it in Garrett's face. He's a token coach of a token staff led by a Jed Clampett family dynasty. It ain't every gonna change.
They are spending money on the wrong players. As always, it's about flash with Jerry. Zeke looks runs he is about 33 and DLaw doesn't even have much impact with limited snaps. These are elite players or so their salaries say. J Smith is terrible and Dak should have lost about $10M/year in value the last two weeks.

Pollard brought energy yesterday. Gallup is great young talent. The Cowboys have been really good at drafting talented players. For the life of me I don't understand why they don't churn the roster with some of these players and trade their "superstars" for picks.

Unless they can somehow get this thing moving in the right direction, it's another flip year ahead with 8 wins and no post season.

Big_D

Reaction score
#10 is really the disturbing truth of it all.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
“Since taking over as a starter in 2016, Prescott has a 36-20 record. He's never had a losing season and has led the Cowboys to two playoff appearances and one playoff win. All good, right?

Dig deeper in those numbers, however, and there is a disturbing trend. In his career as a starter against teams with a winning record, Prescott is 10-14 (that could change depending on the Packers and Saints record at the end of the season). He went 5-3 in 2016 against winning teams, but since then he's only 5-11.

In his first three games, he completed 74.7 percent of his passes for 920 yards and 9 TDs against 2 INTs. In his two losses, he's completed 64.1 percent of his passes for 686 yards and 2 TDs against 4 INTs. The contrast couldn't be more obvious. “

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/da...nning-teams-is-cause-for-concern-01dpk8xfkex5

erod

Reaction score
They are spending money on the wrong players. As always, it's about flash with Jerry. Zeke looks runs he is about 33 and DLaw doesn't even have much impact with limited snaps. These are elite players or so their salaries say. J Smith is terrible and Dak should have lost about $10M/year in value the last two weeks.

Pollard brought energy yesterday. Gallup is great young talent. The Cowboys have been really good at drafting talented players. For the life of me I don't understand why they don't churn the roster with some of these players and trade their "superstars" for picks.

Unless they can somehow get this thing moving in the right direction, it's another flip year ahead with 8 wins and no post season.
If you start trading all your star players for picks, what do you think your young draft picks are going to think?

They'll know that you replace everybody before you have to pay them. In other words, you're cheap and only in it for the money.

That's a bad message.

However, that doesn't mean you have to overpay everybody. The Zeke contract is fine because it's only $50 million total really. The Lawrence deal was a bit pricey. The Jaylon deal was entirely unnecessary. The La'el Collins deal made a lot of sense at that price. Overall, they're pretty good here.

But if they blow the bank on Dak, it's going to be a major regret down the road. We regretted Romo because of injuries. We'll regret this because of ordinary quarterbacking.

I really don't think there's a huge market for him, so they need to stand firm. Try to get him around $30 million or less. Preferably less. Who's going to unload the truck for him?

If he proves himself worthy over the course of the season, then fine, pay him. Otherwise, get him at a fair price, or the franchise is hamstrung for half a decade.

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
“Since taking over as a starter in 2016, Prescott has a 36-20 record. He's never had a losing season and has led the Cowboys to two playoff appearances and one playoff win. All good, right?

Dig deeper in those numbers, however, and there is a disturbing trend. In his career as a starter against teams with a winning record, Prescott is 10-14 (that could change depending on the Packers and Saints record at the end of the season). He went 5-3 in 2016 against winning teams, but since then he's only 5-11.

In his first three games, he completed 74.7 percent of his passes for 920 yards and 9 TDs against 2 INTs. In his two losses, he's completed 64.1 percent of his passes for 686 yards and 2 TDs against 4 INTs. The contrast couldn't be more obvious. “

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/da...nning-teams-is-cause-for-concern-01dpk8xfkex5
That would mean the HC and and defense are 10-14 also. Same thing in the Romo era , couldn't beat a good team and padded stats against the bottom feeders and in garbage time. That's on coaching and GM.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
If you start trading all your star players for picks, what do you think your young draft picks are going to think?

They'll know that you replace everybody before you have to pay them. In other words, you're cheap and only in it for the money.

That's a bad message.

However, that doesn't mean you have to overpay everybody. The Zeke contract is fine because it's only $50 million total really. The Lawrence deal was a bit pricey. The Jaylon deal was entirely unnecessary. The La'el Collins deal made a lot of sense at that price. Overall, they're pretty good here.

But if they blow the bank on Dak, it's going to be a major regret down the road. We regretted Romo because of injuries. We'll regret this because of ordinary quarterbacking.

I really don't think there's a huge market for him, so they need to stand firm. Try to get him around $30 million or less. Preferably less. Who's going to unload the truck for him?

If he proves himself worthy over the course of the season, then fine, pay him. Otherwise, get him at a fair price, or the franchise is hamstrung for half a decade.
Not all the star players. You spend on the truly elite players like those OL, but I don't like spending that kind of money on a RB and DLaw was known damaged goods before the big contract. Have to walk away from elite pay outs once any shred of doubt enters. Can't pay really good players elite money.

Barewulf

Reaction score
It can be hard to look in the mirror. Most people won't. They refuse to. They'll change the way the look, the way they talk, the way they vote, the scene they frequent, the tone they live, but they won't ever look deep into that mirror. Never.

Way too much reality in that reflection.

No doubt Jerry is shattering mirrors in every corner of the The Star today because he's the last to look in one himself. He's gonna sell this turd until the cash register stops ringing. He's an owner looking down the barrel of his own mortality, and he hasn't got the time to reevaluate right now. Twenty-five years of truth he'd rather forget altogether.

Some of us got shunned and guffawed when we had the nerve to mention three weeks ago that we really didn't know anything about this team yet. Those opponents are now a whopping 2-12 on the season. Those three wins meant absolutely nothing. They were the fool's gold of a fool's fool.

The number 10 is a nice round number, so I'll list 10 truths that are hard to hear. But like you, I could list them all day long. The cracks in this veneer are deep and troublesome.

1. How many more winnable games are there after the Jets? You've got the Commanders, and......? Look at the Buffalo and Chicago defenses. The Patriots, Rams, and Eagles twice. The Lions are no joke, nor are the Vikings. The Giants are better than they were the first time. Are there 5 more wins on the schedule? That'd be 8-8, and frankly, that seems a bit optimistic.

2. Let's get Dak out of the way, though he's just the beginning. The guy is simply average. He's inaccurate with any pressure in his face at all. He lacks confidence in himself in games like the last two weeks. If one or two pieces of the offense are missing, he's lost. Both he and Rodgers were under pressure yesterday, but Rodgers just stepped around it and dropped perfect balls everywhere. Dak threw for 0 yards on third down. He was absolutely dreadful when it mattered, just like the week before.

3. The offense is broken because of #2. Good defense simply have ZERO respect for Dallas' passing game. Scott Linehan, Kellen Moore.....doesn't really matter who's calling the plays. Defenses play downhill and aggressive against Dallas to just overwhelm the Cowboys offensive line with numbers. It negates the bevy of talent in the receiving corps. They simply know that this isn't a high-scoring offense against good defenses. They don't fear it whatsoever. And Jerry's about to dump $35 million a year on the QB running it, cementing that truth for the the next several years.

4. Zeke is starting to look like a Dez contract already.

5. So is Lawrence and Jaylon. Cooper and Dak are soon to follow.

6. Joe Thomas and Sean Lee are better than Jaylon and LVE right now. The two young guns are getting owned. Jones tore LVE up yesterday. Both of them just got smashed off the ball and juked out of their shorts. Both were completely lost in coverage. They didn't fill a single gap yesterday. Green Bay ran up the middle at will.

7. The kicker sucks. Still. As does the punter suddenly for no reason.

8. The pass rush looks pedestrian yet again. They provided some pressure yesterday to a degree, but a top tier quarterback was not really bothered. Neither will the others that follow.

9. Xavier looks lost in the back. Heath is playing by himself, and not very good at that because he's the Dak Prescott of the defense. Average at best. The corners are trying to keep up, but the pass rush is selling them out. It's a fire drill.

10. The franchise is just broken. Nobody is really the GM. Nobody is really the head coach. Nobody is really the OC or DC. It's this nebulous organizational mob by committee trying to pretend and hype an overrated roster into more than it is. Hope is still the strategy, as it has been for 25 years. They aren't willing to do what really needs to be done. You can see it in Garrett's face. He's a token coach of a token staff led by a Jed Clampett family dynasty. It ain't every gonna change.

Very good assessment. In fact, out-damn-standing. It's difficult to watch. Such a proud team, with great tradition, that Jerrah has run into the ground.

Barewulf

Reaction score
Start with Garrett and go from there.

Dak is the best thing this team has going. 463 yards passing and 2 TD's, probably should have been 3. 1600 yards passing and 12 TD's in 5 weeks. Two picks yesterday were the fault of the receivers.

The kid is a complete stud.

You serious. Clark? Well over half that yardage was after the game was over. And while you want to lay blame elsewhere for 2 of the picks, he just as easily could have had 2 - 3 more that were dropped by the defense. That game can be played both ways. He's not the QB to lead is into the future, unless the future is littered with losses like the last 2 weeks. Yet Jones is getting ready to drop bank on him like he's Brady. Oh yeah, Jerry. Please don't mention Dak and Brady in the same sentence again. It makes you look like an embecile.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You serious. Clark? Well over half that yardage was after the game was over. And while you want to lay blame elsewhere for 2 of the picks, he just as easily could have had 2 - 3 more that were dropped by the defense. That game can be played both ways. He's not the QB to lead is into the future, unless the future is littered with losses like the last 2 weeks. Yet Jones is getting ready to drop bank on him like he's Brady. Oh yeah, Jerry. Please don't mention Dak and Brady in the same sentence again. It makes you look like an embecile.
That happened some time ago, lately he's just been reinforcing that with his mouth.

erod

Reaction score
OK, I'll bite. What response were you expecting? Trading draft picks? Firing coaches? ****-style public executions?

They're in full spin control. When the front office eats the cheese on a meaningless 3-0 start against sub-NFL teams, you're in trouble.

They're the same team the've been for the past three years. Good against the bad teams, and bad against the good ones. 5-9 against winning teams.

Barewulf

Reaction score
Really? Yes, we got the brakes beaten out of us in the first half, some of it self inflicted. However, had we not missed the 54 yd FG, we'd have had 4th and 5 inside the red zone with the possibility of tying the game. Maybe we fail there, maybe we don't.

We'll easily go 10-6, but I'm going to stick with 11-5 and won't be surprised if we win 12 games.

Why is it that fans feel like they have a better understanding of our team than former players have? You think GB would be champing at the bit to play us again next week? I don't think so.

The team will find their sea legs. The past three years hint at better than what the doomsayers are spewing today.

11-5? Lulz....mkay. Green Bay would beat us 7 or 8 out of 10.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That would mean the HC and and defense are 10-14 also. Same thing in the Romo era , couldn't beat a good team and padded stats against the bottom feeders and in garbage time. That's on coaching and GM.
I understand but if the selling point is his overall winning record , etc then those numbers are skewed.

And I’d bet without looking up Romo’s numbers and stats weren’t as skewed towards winning teams.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They're in full spin control. When the front office eats the cheese on a meaningless 3-0 start against sub-NFL teams, you're in trouble.

They're the same team the've been for the past three years. Good against the bad teams, and bad against the good ones. 5-9 against winning teams.
It’s worse than that now.

He went 5-3 in 2016 against winning teams, but since then he's only 5-11. Which makes him 10-14 overall .

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Until they address the defense and the whole mindset and culture of it, nothing will change. They have no real playmakers. Secondary does not make plays and they don't even play in a scheme that allows them to. Go look at the defensive efforts of every single divisional round game we have played in this century. Putrid defensive effort. Mainly starting with the 2009 Minnesota game. This defense never bails out the offense when it counts. Rod still plays this junk Tampa 2 defense that allows teams to do whatever they want with little resistance.

Also, when will this OL actually carry their own? So much resources and they play average. Unacceptable.

Kaiser

Reaction score
They're the same team the've been for the past three years.

Yeah, weren't those 32 wins and two trips to the playoffs just awful?

Its freaking hilarious to see you complain about the last three seasons and call it spin if anyone posts anything but whining.

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
Sometimes these hard core , long tenured , entitled fans are nothing more than "girly men , crybaby whiners" They complain when things are good because they aren't good enough ,over react at every loss and are critical over the least little thing.

Kaiser

Reaction score
He went 5-3 in 2016 against winning teams, but since then he's only 5-11. Which makes him 10-14 overall .

Which, by an amazing coincidence, coincides with the Zeke suspension, the Chaz Green Debacle and the half season where Allen Hurns was our #1 WR.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Which, by an amazing coincidence, coincides with the Zeke suspension, the Chaz Green Debacle and the half season where Allen Hurns was our #1 WR.
We are also 1-9 when Elliott is held under 75 yards rushing.