Another typical Cowboys December?

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1839833 said:
It's great to be able to stick your head in the sand while all hell is breaking loose around you... but this team has major issues at the moment. It hasn't looked good in a couple weeks.

If they lose to Carolina, then batten down the hatches because the storm will be very intense.
That's just it. All hell isn't breaking loose. Tell me, has anything good ever come from panicking?

DMX690

Reaction score
windward;1840438 said:
That's just it. All hell isn't breaking loose. Tell me, has anything good ever come from panicking?

Yes.. Suicides

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1839833 said:
It's great to be able to stick your head in the sand while all hell is breaking loose around you... but this team has major issues at the moment. It hasn't looked good in a couple weeks.

If they lose to Carolina, then batten down the hatches because the storm will be very intense.

This has been one of the few poor outings by this offense. If Dallas was showing a pattern of poor play within the offense I may be concerned but that has not been the case. Only issue with this team right now is we played a bad game vs Philly to try and make this out to be the begining of the end I think is going overboard. I don't see this as hiding our heads in the sand.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1840489 said:
This has been one of the few poor outings by this offense. If Dallas was showing a pattern of poor play within the offense I may be concerned but that has not been the case. Only issue with this team right now is we played a bad game vs Philly to try and make this out to be the begining of the end I think is going overboard. I don't see this as hiding our heads in the sand.
Don't you get it, Dooms? Panicking is the solution to all our problems.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
windward;1840495 said:
Don't you get it, Dooms? Panicking is the solution to all our problems.

I have come to believe some are not happy unless they have something to panic about. No doubt if Dallas goes out and plays poorly over these next 2 games even in wins then there will be a true cause for concern. You would like to see this team playing good before hitting the playoffs but after 1 loss in a 12-2 season I think some are just getting carried away with themselves

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1840504 said:
I have come to believe some are not happy unless they have something to panic about. No doubt if Dallas goes out and plays poorly over these next 2 games even in wins then there will be a true cause for concern. You would like to see this team playing good before hitting the playoffs but after 1 loss in a 12-2 season I think some are just getting carried away with themselves
I mean, look at it this way, did Tom Landry panic when things went wrong? Did John Wooden, arguably the most successful sports coach in the modern era panic? If not, then why should we?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
windward;1840517 said:
I mean, look at it this way, did Tom Landry panic when things went wrong? Did John Wooden, arguably the most successful sports coach in the modern era panic? If not, then why should we?

I agree and I saw no panic with Wade or players after the game. I think they are upset with how they played but like any player and coach they will review the game film and go back to work to get ready for the next game. Dallas played a poor game nothing more and nothing less. If this was an ongoing problem as we see in places like New York with the Giants then yes I would be concerned however Dallas offense has been pretty consistent in their play

superpunk

Reaction score
windward;1840517 said:

Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Of course not. But I'd be lying if I wasn't the slightest bit worried that the December swoon is upon us again, for real. Some things just can't be explained rationally. This decade-long December fail-fest is one of them. It is worrisome. Hopefully my worries get squashed this saturday night.

silver

Reaction score
superpunk;1840534 said:

Of course not. But I'd be lying if I wasn't the slightest bit worried that the December swoon is upon us again, for real. Some things just can't be explained rationally. This decade-long December fail-fest is one of them. It is worrisome. Hopefully my worries get squashed this saturday night.

did john wayne ran like a sissy little girl in casablanca? of course not.

utrunner07

Reaction score
zrinkill;1837918 said:
So being 12-2 is typical?

Wow.

He said typical DECEMBER, not typical season. All this "we are 12-2 and great" talk is fine but only to a point...if we loose a playoff game I swear some of yall are going to come on here and say "but we are 13-3, 14-2, or whatever our record is..."

Doomsday101

Reaction score
utrunner07;1840571 said:
He said typical DECEMBER, not typical season. All this "we are 12-2 and great" talk is fine but only to a point...if we loose a playoff game I swear some of yall are going to come on here and say "but we are 13-3, 14-2, or whatever our record is..."

What does past seasons have to do with this team? If this team fails people will be upset and disappointed but this team can't live in the past and wait for some failure based on what has happened in the past. If I thought that then why bother playing the game if everything is pre destined and we will fail. Dallas controls their own destiny regardless of what has happened before.

zeroburrito

Reaction score
12-2. that still doesnt account for the fact that this team becomes a bottom 5 team in december. they have played like a bottom 5 team the past 2 weeks.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Bach;1838096 said:
I think the Packer game was played in November, so therefore it isn't considered a December game. Generally the first rule in determining a December game is taking into account when the game was played
If the Packer game is played three days later on a regular Sunday rather than on a flukey Thursday night, it's a December game.

Or do you think the calendar really does have that kind of voodoo effect on us?

Like bb said, the "collapse" last year was on defense, and that was the concern. No such problems yesterday.

kmd24

Reaction score
dbair1967;1838152 said:
and the following week as well...10 straight awful quarters has show all the confidence I had in this team

David

This may sound like quibbling, but I thought the last drive of the third quarter and the 4th quarter at Detroit were pretty good performances.

And I was happy to see a little creativity in the pass rush reappear.

I'm also taking heart that we figure to be 4-0 against NFC playoff teams based on the current standings.

But yeah, things are disconcerting.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
zeroburrito;1840598 said:
12-2. that still doesnt account for the fact that this team becomes a bottom 5 team in december. they have played like a bottom 5 team the past 2 weeks.
The Dolphins,Jets, Ravens, Bengals,Chiefs,Raiders,Giants,Lions,Falcons,Panthers 49ers, Cardinals and Rams have at least looked worse the Cowboys these past two weeks. Hardly bottom 5

But that does not coincide with your troll agenda.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
superpunk;1840534 said:

concern is fine. I have no issue with that. It implies that we acknowledged our faults and will fix them but retain the confidence that this team can and will do well the next time out. But panic does not help at all. It never does.

superpunk

Reaction score
windward;1840744 said:
concern is fine. I have no issue with that. It implies that we acknowledged our faults and will fix them but retain the confidence that this team can and will do well the next time out. But panic does not help at all. It never does.

Here's a question that plagued my brain all weekend.

What is Fox doing putting an apostrophe in Hawai'i. Is this really necessary?

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
superpunk;1840748 said:
Here's a question that plagued my brain all weekend.

What is Fox doing putting an apostrophe in Hawai'i. Is this really necessary?
Hawai'i is actually the correct spelling. It's not an apostrophe either. It's called an 'okina, a diacritical mark found in the Hawaiian language (and Tongan Samoan Tahitian and other Polynesian languages) The 'okina is a backwards apostrophe. It's usually used when you have two vowels together.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
windward;1840784 said:
Hawai'i is actually the correct spelling. It's not an apostrophe either. It's called an 'okina, a diacritical mark found in the Hawaiian language (and Tongan Samoan Tahitian and other Polynesian languages) The 'okina is a backwards apostrophe. It's usually used when you have two vowels together.

Shut u'up, Cliffy.