Anthony Brown was as bad as his chip tattoo

SSoup

Reaction score
It's a silver-lining situation that a game where we hold a prolific passer to barely 50% completing percentage and 160-something yards is prompting everybody to lose their ****. Not so long ago, we'd have killed for our secondary to do that on their best day, much less a day when our defense didn't really come to play. If the front seven came to play at all, this game would've looked way different.

I think Brown's gotten worse, probably because he was never that good and opponents have spotted more stuff on his film to exploit. Or perhaps we've been asking him to play in different spots or do different things than we asked of him last year? I dunno. Perhaps he's also taken a step backwards because everyone was so pleased with him last year (and the bar was so low before, it was easy to be less demanding of him before), that he maybe hasn't pushed himself or been pushed? I dunno.

Personally, I think he's also let some of the penalties get into his head (not uncommon with DBs when they've played long enough to accumulate some yellow laundry), and he hasn't quite struck the right balance between being physical but not drawing flags. Some of his penalties and sloppiness strike me as stuff we should clean up in practice. But perhaps we aren't that strict about following the rules in practice? Dez and, at times, Butler sometimes act like they've been practicing with a level of physicality that is unrealistic to expect to get away with on gamedays. Which, combined with some of our secondary's penalties, makes me wonder if our coaches just let the WRs/DBs get away with too much illegal physical stuff in practice. So many of our guys attempt borderline-wrestling maneuvers and then seem shocked that that's not okay.

Should the team have better guys displacing him? Probably. I imagine they would've already if not for the injuries to Awuzie. It's not his fault the team has yet to accumulate enough better (and healthy) corners to keep Brown from playing such a large role. I think we'd all like him a lot better if he only came on the field as a 4th corner.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
One big change I've noticed from Brown from last year to this year is turning and looking for the ball. Last year, he was the only DB that consistently got his head around to locate the ball, but haven't seen that from him at all this season. That's something that I rarely see from any of our DBs, been that way for a real long time. It makes me wonder if they are coaching them not to turn their heads to play the ball and instead play the receiver. Why would he change that unless he was coached to? Is the coaching staff afraid of getting burned if the DB turns his head?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
This front office wasn't honest with itself after last season. Either that of they flat out have no idea what they are doing.

The last 2 plus decades hasn't told you this by now? They have zero idea what they are doing. Either in the draft or free agency. We have zero direction.

But about Anthony Brown, he was a 6th round pick. What did you really expect? He was good value for the pick selection because he was sort of hidden behind 3 experienced (although not really good) corners. We didn't ask much of him. But now that he's asked to play a much larger role, he is exposed. Normally, 6th round picks aren't asked to have that big of a role.

kevm3

Reaction score
Zeke has a bigger impact on the team than Ramsey would have. The problem is Stephen Jones saw fit to let all of those guys in front of Brown walk.

Motown12

First words were not Mom or Dad but Flex Defense
Reaction score
If my memory serves I think the knock on him coming out out of college was that he was grabby and got unnecessary penalties but was considered very competitive and athletic (Someone correct me if I'm wrong). Like someone else mentioned teams are mostly staying away from throwing at Lewis and going after Brown. He seems to bite on more double moves than last year and he is not getting his head turned around. I thought coming into the year we got a solid CB in the 6th round which never happens for the Cowboys other than Oscan in the 5th round back in the day.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Give the guy some time. He just got thrown into the fire as the guy. Let him go through some growing pains at least.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Brown is a young, soaked band-aid on an oversized wound. Safeties play too close to the line, because we have poor-below average DT play, giving up the over the top, there in making corners who are coached to "not give up the big play" have to cover too much field. Theoretically, this could be reaccessed, and possibly changed, but our coaches are idiots.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Zeke has a bigger impact on the team than Ramsey would have. The problem is Stephen Jones saw fit to let all of those guys in front of Brown walk.
This is stupid thinking. If we had taken Jalen we could have taken a myriad of rbs later in the draft or in free agency who would have been great here.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Can you guys stop? This is just insane.

Ramsey is a top 5 corner in this league locking down some of the best receivers in the game. Some of you have no idea how valuable it is for a CB to control one side of the field.

Tell me, why did the Jets have success in 2009 and 2010? Who was their superstar at that time?

ondaedg

Reaction score

Big difference is Ramsey isn't suspended for 6. Jalen would have been the better choice.