Anti-soccer blog post

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
Hostile;3450636 said:
You don't follow direct comments do you? Everything needs to be taken to the extreme so that it becomes the opposite of what is said. No wonder you can't win an argument about your own comfort zone.

;)

well considering you're arguing that i think americans are greedy because i said not that americans are greedy but you decided to highlight the part of the sentence after the word not i think you've got a bit of a cheek pulling me up for a tongue in cheek remark.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
daschoo;3450642 said:
well considering you're arguing that i think americans are greedy because i said not that americans are greedy but you decided to highlight the part of the sentence after the word not i think you've got a bit of a cheek pulling me up for a tongue in cheek remark.
I noticed your ;) smiley.

Pity you didn't notice mine. Must be smarting from the banter in this thread.

rkell87

Reaction score
daschoo;3450629 said:
ok thats funny.

also love that football/soccer sucks because the cowboys cheerleaders are stunning and the spannish basketball team is racist which coupled with homophobic rugby fans is a tipping point ;)
is twilight the same chick hit obsession over seas as it is here...cause it is ridiculous over here

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
rkell87;3450676 said:
is twilight the same chick hit obsession over seas as it is here...cause it is ridiculous over here

unfortunately yes. got dragged to see the second one and while it wasn't the worst movie i've ever seen i really didn't get the fuss. the whole r-patz thing annoys me as well, stupid name stupid looking bloke.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Unacceptably Stupid

by Steve Czaban

blog_london_sun.jpg

Before we know it, the World Cup will be packed up and bubble wrapped for another four years, and I don't want to miss the chance for one last swift corner kick to the sport's unprotected gonads.

Especially not before other summertime events overtake people's give-a-****-sports-meter. Things like: how Lebron is going to afford penthouses for his whole crew in NYC. Or what does Elin buy FIRST with her 9-figure go-away-and-die money from Tiger.

When I last left commenting on soccer in this space, the United States had merely been robbed of a spectacular game winning goal by a referee who - to this day - only explained his call by shrugging his shoulders and giving a look like the guy who is out of jetski rentals on a Jamaican beach.

If that wasn't stupid enough, more dumb **** went down since then, that further buttressed my contention that this sport just can't survive American style professional fandom.

And we'll even leave OUT, the gutless squids known as the French national team. Stay on strike, Pierre. It's what you guys do best.

Now, where was I?

Ah yes, stupid.

It is patently stupid to have an elimination game, go into 30 minutes of "over-time" and yet, NOT make that OT sudden death. Ridiculous. Ghana's goal, while exciting for a brief moment, came so early in extra time, that what should have been a jubilant moment for all time in that nation, instead got the ol' wet blanket of "hey, wait, still almost half a game left here, fellas!"

It is also patently stupid to have a single referee attempt to administer to a field that large, and with 22 guys running around, and have him be the only guy to rule on goal-line scoring plays. One guy, can't do this job. Period. And FIFA's bullheadedness on refusing to use instant replay in any capacity for World Cup games, remains just one notch below the BCS on the global sports stupid index.

It is stupid how players act to fake injury. It's insulting on every level. The Ghana guy who lay on the ground against us for like a minute, and stopped play. Only then to get carried off on a stretcher, and then POP! "I'm fine!" Haha! Soccer commentators say sternly, they have to "clean this up." Well, I've been hearing that forever. It's not going to be cleaned up. Not when you have (see above) 1 dude running the whole game from endline to endline! I hope that guy's village in Ghana gets overtaken by a severe strain of bovine herpes powerful enough to make fruit break out in open sores. You dick.

Finally, it is stupid to make huge pronouncements and judgements on results in a single tournament that - most of the time - hinges on nothing but pure luck. The Brits are in a snit, because of the 2nd half pounding by Germany. But they also got hosed on a horrible call, and against the Yanks their goalie went all Bill Buckner on them and cost the team a win.

Yet I've been reading about British soccer bellyaching, and it's completely absurd. Forget about the no-goal vs. Germany. Go back to the US game, and make that a win. Then England is top-dog in the group, they get the easier draw, and if they beat Ghana 1-nil, then lose to The Netherlands 1-nil, every Nigel in the UK can say: "Eh, chap. Good effort by the Three Lions, all-in-all, eh?"

Meanwhile, I was amused to read about how our coach, ol' Coach Bradley, was in limbo because a) Had they not made it out of group play, he surely would have been fired. Yet, b) because they actually won their group, it made the decision harder. And because they only lost to Ghana 2-1 in OT, you can't really make an easy call.

Or something like that.

Stupid. Just stupid. Fact of the matter, is Bradley is 1 goal either way of being either Rodney Dangerfield in "Ladybugs" or... um... or... the Greatest Coach In World Cup History! (Whomever that is. Help me here, people.)

All of it, is just unacceptably stupid to American sports fans. We wouldn't stand for any of this, and we don't. We change rules, we add refs, we bolt cameras in places they need to be bolted so we can make sure a championship isn't handed out on a ref's whoopsie.

And our coaches, hell, even incompetent boobs like Jim Zorn get 32 full games to prove they suck. Prove it! And he wasn't one-touchdown either way of looking awesome or stupid. He proved it.

But in the end, I have no problem with this event every 4 years. It remains a colorful, multi-national trainwreck that kind of wins you over as a casual fan.

But like the fat chick slumpbuster you brought home in college. When it's over, you just say: "Now, get out."

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun;3450778 said:
And our coaches, hell, even incompetent boobs like Jim Zorn get 32 full games to prove they suck. Prove it! And he wasn't one-touchdown either way of looking awesome or stupid. He proved it.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

bbgun;3450778 said:
But like the fat chick slumpbuster you brought home in college. When it's over, you just say: "Now, get out."
Bob reference? You decide.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
bbgun;3450787 said:
Even fat chicks draw the line somewhere. :laugh1:

:laugh2:

In Bob's defense, I have noticed that fat chicks tend to warm up to skinny guys with no chest. Perhaps their own chesticles are enough for the both of them...

Reaction score
bbgun;3450778 said:
It is also patently stupid to have a single referee attempt to administer to a field that large, and with 22 guys running around, and have him be the only guy to rule on goal-line scoring plays. One guy, can't do this job. Period. And FIFA's bullheadedness on refusing to use instant replay in any capacity for World Cup games, remains just one notch below the BCS on the global sports stupid index.

It is stupid how players act to fake injury. It's insulting on every level. The Ghana guy who lay on the ground against us for like a minute, and stopped play. Only then to get carried off on a stretcher, and then POP! "I'm fine!" Haha! Soccer commentators say sternly, they have to "clean this up." Well, I've been hearing that forever. It's not going to be cleaned up. Not when you have (see above) 1 dude running the whole game from endline to endline! I hope that guy's village in Ghana gets overtaken by a severe strain of bovine herpes powerful enough to make fruit break out in open sores. You dick.

1)There are 4 referrees and they all communicate via headsets. I'm pretty sure linesman can signal goals.

2)This is a game where you have to run around for 90 minutes. I don't think people understand how hard that would be unless you've played yourself. Players need rests and exaggerate injuries to do so. You can still think it's stupid, but there are only 3 substitutes allowed and one stoppage in play. This is unlike any popular sport in America. Closest I can think of is hockey, but you have unlimited line changes, 2 stoppages, and TV timeouts.

3) And as far as the coaches go, changing coaches regardless of whether your team does well or not after a world cup is completely common. This is one thing that I don't really understand. Bob Bradley is in trouble because he made horrible personnel decisions in the Ghana game. There aren't really any what ifs because if you watched the game, those personell decisions directly affected the first goal Ghana scored (Clark), a easy missed goal (Findley), and the early substitution clearly affected our players in extra time.

So I dont really think you can say Bradley is one fluke play from being an American hero, but if he had made the right personnel decisions we probably would have won the game.

Coy

Reaction score
CowboysNumeroUno;3451519 said:
1)There are 4 referrees and they all communicate via headsets. I'm pretty sure linesman can signal goals.

2)This is a game where you have to run around for 90 minutes. I don't think people understand how hard that would be unless you've played yourself. Players need rests and exaggerate injuries to do so. You can still think it's stupid, but there are only 3 substitutes allowed and one stoppage in play. This is unlike any popular sport in America. Closest I can think of is hockey, but you have unlimited line changes, 2 stoppages, and TV timeouts.

3) And as far as the coaches go, changing coaches regardless of whether your team does well or not after a world cup is completely common. This is one thing that I don't really understand. Bob Bradley is in trouble because he made horrible personnel decisions in the Ghana game. There aren't really any what ifs because if you watched the game, those personell decisions directly affected the first goal Ghana scored (Clark), a easy missed goal (Findley), and the early substitution clearly affected our players in extra time.

So I dont really think you can say Bradley is one fluke play from being an American hero, but if he had made the right personnel decisions we probably would have won the game.

Yes they can

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
CowboysNumeroUno;3451519 said:

not buying that at all. players don't fake injuries to get a rest they do so for one of the following reasons.
1. to con the referee into giving them a free kick
2. to con the referee into giving an opposition player a card
3. to waste time at the end of the game when their team has a narrow lead

its cheating and its unsavoury but it's unfortunately part of the game and the more money and pressure that has become involved in the sport the worst it has got. they have finally started trying to clean up this aspect of the game with referees now having the power to book players or simulation and we have seen a couple of retrospective bans handed out but they haven't done enough.

erickb

Reaction score
At the pro level of soccer, you should not need to "fake" anything because you are tired! They have been playing a long time, my kids play (select level) and they can play back to back games in tournments and not need to fake anything. Yes the games are 60min not 90min, but the kids are also 12 and 14. I hate time wasting, if someone is injured no problem but other then that it is all BS.

The US Team had no mid control and that is where the last game was lost and yes Clark should have never been out there :eek:

oh I love me some soccer :bow:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Thank goodness the biggest toilet clog in the world has been cleared and they were able to flush that crap. It's over. No more avoiding sports reports. The drain is clear.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3457085 said:
Thank goodness the biggest toilet clog in the world has been cleared and they were able to flush that crap. It's over. No more avoiding sports reports. The drain is clear.

Yeah, I couldn't wait for LeBron to announce where he was going so I could hear about something else.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3457085 said:

I want to thank all of you for giving this thread more views than the official WC thread, which is kinda amazing. Well done.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Hostile;3457085 said:

:hammer:

MaverickPS

Benched
Reaction score
bbgun;3457112 said:
I want to thank all of you for giving this thread more views than the official WC thread, which is kinda amazing. Well done.

well, naturally... this is a football forum - is it really a surprise to you that more people would dislike soccer than like it around here?

people have a natural inclination to go out of their way to voice displeasure more frequently than the opposite

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
MaverickPS;3457153 said:
well, naturally... this is a football forum - is it really a surprise to you that more people would dislike soccer than like it around here?

people have a natural inclination to go out of their way to voice displeasure more frequently than the opposite

Maybe so, but what put the thread over the top was the contributions of the soccer fanatics.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Cythim;3457095 said:
Yeah, I couldn't wait for LeBron to announce where he was going so I could hear about something else.
I'm not an NBA fan, so your lame attempted little dig missed wide right.