Any of you go through a divorce?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
People make mistakes. People learn from mistakes. People forgive the mistakes of others. I won't suggest that anyone who cheats will learn and grow and avoid doing it in the future, or that someone with someone who cheats should remain with that person (I would suggest they forgive them, even if they choose to leave), but I don't like blanket suggestions that any marriage that suffers from infidelity should end and can't (or shouldn't) be salvaged. A great marriage could have dealt with infidelity at some point, and a terrible marriage can have no issue with it at all.

That said, infidelity is one of the few areas that I view as a reasonable reason to end a marriage. It is in most cases (non-open marriages) a huge violation of trust and can be extremely difficult to overcome. It's not impossible though, and in situations where the guilty party has taken the responsibility, has remorse for their actions, and truly wants to be better, than I hope it can be.

One of my wife’s best friends had her husband cheat on her. Surprisingly, she stuck it out with him because apparently he wanted to remain together and so did she.

I can’t imagine. The trust issues must be immense. Even if he’s legitimately stopped his cheating ways, I can imagine the stuff he goes through and kinda has to roll with because of what he’s done. It’s just toxic to a relationship.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One of my wife’s best friends had her husband cheat on her. Surprisingly, she stuck it out with him because apparently he wanted to remain together and so did she.

I can’t imagine. The trust issues must be immense. Even if he’s legitimately stopped his cheating ways, I can imagine the stuff he goes through and kinda has to roll with because of what he’s done. It’s just toxic to a relationship.
She wins every argument in perpetuity. "Remember when you cheated on me?"

kskboys

Reaction score
When I was younger, if a woman cheated on me, I was gone. No questions asked, no deliberation, I was simply gone.

If it happened now? I'd prolly suck it up and stay w/ my wife. Don't get me wrong, I cannot imagine it happening. However if it did? I have no desire to be single again at 55. Unless it was an ongoing thing, I'd prolly get over it. Why? I have the perfect wife, and there's just not another out there anywhere near what I have.

Chrispierce

Reaction score

It’s compromised. For me personally? I can’t. The heart wants what the heart wants. Mine wants my happy ending...and they ruined it ‘cause bad script writers do. What if? What if I just hired an actress to play a role? Now there’s an idea...come home “hi honey! Dinner is almost done,and why don’t you go take a nice relaxing shower,and then we’ll eat and talk about why Dallas can’t win with Garrett.” Hmmm...I think I’d really do that if had the means. Be funny when people ask you what’s your wife do. “Oh she’s an actress”

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
One thing for sure, divorce brings scars, even though they're well hidden and covered, they're there still the same. Both parties failed at something for the other or made that all time grand mistake of mistaking infatuation or lust for love.

I fell for my wife the first time I ever saw her and didn't even speak to her for a year and that was only an introduction because I knew her date. To this day, I cannot explain how I knew she was the one but I will admit it was a lot more infatuation than love. If I am honest with myself, I wasn't really in love with her when we married. She was beautiful, a real head turner, and popular and I was afraid of losing her if I didn't marry her. We really married for the wrong reasons and I was very immature, even for a 20 year old. We had two sons and she would gladly volunteer that she raised 3 boys but she did and just like a good mother, she had patience waiting for her oldest to grow up.

And then it happened, I realized I was in love and not with the wrapper but what was inside. That corny line from Jerry Maguire, "you complete me", summarized it perfectly. In marriage, you grow together or you grow apart but you never stop growing. I had thought 'I married the perfect pretty popular girl', mission accomplished. But it had only begun.

There are two elements to people growing apart, the past and mental stability and both are a mountain to climb. I know so many cases of the past, something buried, that comes back into peoples lives and it begins to isolate them from the ones they love, the ones that could help the most. And I know first hand about the fight for mental stability because we are far more complicated creatures than even we imagine. And dealing with a complicated person can ruin a simple life. It can be a love obstacle course.

The other thing I have discovered about divorce, and this is only from personal experience, is that unless there is abuse, emotional and/or physical, involved, the person wanting it is usually the one to regret it. That act didn't solve the problem.

I know kevin and Vomit are going through really tough times, and probably some not comfortable with sharing, but I will offer some first hand advice that is a spin on an old saying that is not completely true. The saying is 'time heals all wounds". It does not. I lost my Dad, my two dogs of 15 years, my wife and my Mom all within 7.5 years and my wounds are not even scarred over. But what time does is allow you to do your own best at healing yourself. Time buys you more time.

I can say this, if you use the time wisely and sometimes that means doing absolutely nothing, it can truly be on your side. Or in my case, it began when I used my time to help a really close friend of mine deal with losing his wife to the same monster that took mine. I helped myself by helping him. Gentlemen, look around you for a person to invest your time that will reap dividends. Divorce, like so many other things in life, makes us feel that we've failed at something and we need a boost out of that and investing time in another can do just that.
I agree, helping others helps you.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
When I was younger, if a woman cheated on me, I was gone. No questions asked, no deliberation, I was simply gone.

If it happened now? I'd prolly suck it up and stay w/ my wife. Don't get me wrong, I cannot imagine it happening. However if it did? I have no desire to be single again at 55. Unless it was an ongoing thing, I'd prolly get over it. Why? I have the perfect wife, and there's just not another out there anywhere near what I have.
Pretty sure your evaluation would adjust with the new information...but I hope you never have to find out.

kskboys

Reaction score
Pretty sure your evaluation would adjust with the new information...but I hope you never have to find out.
Tough one. Thing is, I'm happy and am not interested in being single. If it was a one time thing, I think I'd just not think too much about it and be able to deal w/ it.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Separated from my wife...been over 2 years now. My friend, trust me it does get easier and better, it just takes time...for me, it took over a year before I really felt no pain.

My wife and I talk and communicate and I would be lying if I said I did not miss her some times...we were married 25 years...I lived with her longer than my siblings and parents and she knows me better anyone I know.

But at this point, I enjoy being single. This place is a great place for support, I know...many people reached out to me to offer support when I posted about my marriage and I made a really great friend @daboyzruleperiod on here who was so supportive and helpful. Good luck.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Separated from my wife...been over 2 years now. My friend, trust me it does get easier and better, it just takes time...for me, it took over a year before I really felt no pain.

My wife and I talk and communicate and I would be lying if I said I did not miss her some times...we were married 25 years...I lived with her longer than my siblings and parents and she knows me better anyone I know.

But at this point, I enjoy being single. This place is a great place for support, I know...many people reached out to me to offer support when I posted about my marriage and I made a really great friend @daboyzruleperiod on here who was so supportive and helpful. Good luck.
Aw, thank you sweetheart. And I will continue on doing so, always. That's what friends do. :)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I had not seen the latest from you and I wondered how that was going and that's a pretty long separation. I am glad you are handling that well.

I have a trick to enjoying being single, although I am through different circumstances than divorce. I am in the midst of my self induced therapy right now as the anniversary of the loss is coming up on Saturday. Some of my family and friends were after me to "get back out there and meet someone" because they worry about me being alone and lonely. And I have told them, there are worst things than being lonely alone, like being lonely with someone.

So, I go out and look for miserable people, more succinctly, obviously miserable couples that wish they had a divorce more then they don't. I know, that's terrible, just one of the things that wouldn't make me a good companion. I picture myself in that kind of relationship so being alone lonely is preferable. I do see people that seem to enjoy being with each other so there is that too. But, they're not my subject matter. I spent most of my life reading people and body language and unhappy people are easy to spot. I picture myself with a woman that I really don't want to be with but I've trapped myself and I can't get out without hurting her and I like her and don't want that. I wish I hadn't met her and let it go this far and presto, like magic, she doesn't exist. But she did for a few moments and now I am relieved that I do not have to deal with any of that.

None of that helps me in not missing my wife like the air that I breathe but the object is to spend the least amount of time feeling sorry for myself. That's one of the pitfalls and it happens so easily that I can be knee deep in self pity before I realized I was just wading in. And the deep end of that pool can come fast.

The one common comment I hear from family and friends that have come through a divorce is that they really didn't realize how unhappy they were, even if they didn't want it. They had acclimated themselves to that life, that existence, but they weren't really happy. And it wasn't always the absence of that person that made them happy but the presence of themselves without that person.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I had not seen the latest from you and I wondered how that was going and that's a pretty long separation. I am glad you are handling that well.

I have a trick to enjoying being single, although I am through different circumstances than divorce. I am in the midst of my self induced therapy right now as the anniversary of the loss is coming up on Saturday. Some of my family and friends were after me to "get back out there and meet someone" because they worry about me being alone and lonely. And I have told them, there are worst things than being lonely alone, like being lonely with someone.

So, I go out and look for miserable people, more succinctly, obviously miserable couples that wish they had a divorce more then they don't. I know, that's terrible, just one of the things that wouldn't make me a good companion. I picture myself in that kind of relationship so being alone lonely is preferable. I do see people that seem to enjoy being with each other so there is that too. But, they're not my subject matter. I spent most of my life reading people and body language and unhappy people are easy to spot. I picture myself with a woman that I really don't want to be with but I've trapped myself and I can't get out without hurting her and I like her and don't want that. I wish I hadn't met her and let it go this far and presto, like magic, she doesn't exist. But she did for a few moments and now I am relieved that I do not have to deal with any of that.

None of that helps me in not missing my wife like the air that I breathe but the object is to spend the least amount of time feeling sorry for myself. That's one of the pitfalls and it happens so easily that I can be knee deep in self pity before I realized I was just wading in. And the deep end of that pool can come fast.

The one common comment I hear from family and friends that have come through a divorce is that they really didn't realize how unhappy they were, even if they didn't want it. They had acclimated themselves to that life, that existence, but they weren't really happy. And it wasn't always the absence of that person that made them happy but the presence of themselves without that person.

I totally agree. It's better to be by yourself than lonely with someone else. This must be an extremely painful time of year for you. You are in my thoughts as this Saturday approaches. It's funny what you said, I often look at other couples, especially the ones that look miserable...and wonder, are they really happy with each other? I bet at least 50% are not.

The feeling sorry part for me was the hardest to overcome, but I did. I know I am better off now, or for at least the time being. I offered to get the divorce finalized several times and she just says "we will later"??? That has me confused a little. It matters little, I am not interested in dating at the present time and marriage is out of the question...

If the females are like the ones I work with, I will stay single...thank you.

It helped going back to work. But that place I work at is driving me insane with all the gossip, and management actually used some idle gossip against me...they shut up when I said look at the cameras.

I learned a lot from Dad after my Mom passed...keep busy.

If you do not mind me asking, how old was your wife when she passed? I really hope your Saturday is great, probably will be filled with laughter and tears. I still miss my Mom, every day. When I think of her I often tear up. You will never hear this often, but my Mom toughened me up for what is a challenging world we live in. My Mom has given me the strength to call the BS at what, just that.

The people at work make me laugh at how dumb they are. They are letting a job define them. I define myself with what counts, family friends and being a good citizen...

one particular night, some gossip came the way that just really ticked me off...we had a snowstorm that night, so after I got groceries, I shovelled me elderly neibhours driveways who is on failing health...from that day forward I sleep great and have concluded that I can quit whenever I want and get another job...

I worked last night and I realize this conversation is all over the place...and I am sorry for that. That is the part of being single I do not enjoy, having someone to share your troubles and frustrations...but I feel we both shared today. I am so grateful for these forums, and you were one of the ones who connected within my thread about my marriage. I so appreciated that. If we lived in the same town I would love to go out for a few drinks with you and hear some wonderful stories of your wife...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I totally agree. It's better to be by yourself than lonely with someone else. This must be an extremely painful time of year for you. You are in my thoughts as this Saturday approaches. It's funny what you said, I often look at other couples, especially the ones that look miserable...and wonder, are they really happy with each other? I bet at least 50% are not.

The feeling sorry part for me was the hardest to overcome, but I did. I know I am better off now, or for at least the time being. I offered to get the divorce finalized several times and she just says "we will later"??? That has me confused a little. It matters little, I am not interested in dating at the present time and marriage is out of the question...

If the females are like the ones I work with, I will stay single...thank you.

It helped going back to work. But that place I work at is driving me insane with all the gossip, and management actually used some idle gossip against me...they shut up when I said look at the cameras.

I learned a lot from Dad after my Mom passed...keep busy.

If you do not mind me asking, how old was your wife when she passed? I really hope your Saturday is great, probably will be filled with laughter and tears. I still miss my Mom, every day. When I think of her I often tear up. You will never hear this often, but my Mom toughened me up for what is a challenging world we live in. My Mom has given me the strength to call the BS at what, just that.

The people at work make me laugh at how dumb they are. They are letting a job define them. I define myself with what counts, family friends and being a good citizen...

one particular night, some gossip came the way that just really ticked me off...we had a snowstorm that night, so after I got groceries, I shovelled me elderly neibhours driveways who is on failing health...from that day forward I sleep great and have concluded that I can quit whenever I want and get another job...

I worked last night and I realize this conversation is all over the place...and I am sorry for that. That is the part of being single I do not enjoy, having someone to share your troubles and frustrations...but I feel we both shared today. I am so grateful for these forums, and you were one of the ones who connected within my thread about my marriage. I so appreciated that. If we lived in the same town I would love to go out for a few drinks with you and hear some wonderful stories of your wife...
She was 64 and a very young 64 as she truly loved life and people. However, she had a very old soul and was a magnet for people. I have never seen anyone else that could be in line in the grocery store, strike up a conversation with a stranger and them be hugging when we left. It used to floor me until I got used to it.

It was interesting with people who knew us well as she had that "open for business" sign on her and mine was "stay the hell away". I was pretty distrustful and cynical about people until I got to know them. They refer to spouses as "the better half" but she was my better 80%.

lukin2006

Reaction score
She was 64 and a very young 64 as she truly loved life and people. However, she had a very old soul and was a magnet for people. I have never seen anyone else that could be in line in the grocery store, strike up a conversation with a stranger and them be hugging when we left. It used to floor me until I got used to it.

It was interesting with people who knew us well as she had that "open for business" sign on her and mine was "stay the hell away". I was pretty distrustful and cynical about people until I got to know them. They refer to spouses as "the better half" but she was my better 80%.

64 is too young. What a wonderful person your wife was. The world needs more people like her...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
64 is too young. What a wonderful person your wife was. The world needs more people like her...
If one can be "blessed", I was and how we ended up together was the stuff of destiny. But unfortunately, my ego and immaturity arranged my priorities and she got the short end of the deal. She was far better than I deserved and truly my soul mate but I spent too much time with an angry and dark soul. Loving me was hard work. She could have done so much better.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Whelp, I got served papers tonight, so now this disaster begins. It's all such a confusing mess. I truly believe my wife is suffering some mental/emotional health issues. I am not sure if it is some sort of post partum depression, or somethimg deeper from her past that has been triggered by childbirth, or both. The same things happened with her previous marriage after she gave birth to her oldest child.

The sad part is she even admits she has some issues, but says she is okay with them and seems to have no care how it affects anyone else, especially her kids. I don't think she is thinking rationally.