Anybody else smell the Campo Years right around the corner?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We better do something along the DLine in FA...Too many holes to fill in the draft + OG and QB, WR and RB.

I'll reserve final prediction until the 3rd preseason game this year.

We can get a 3rd/4th OG late in VFA without any significant outlay. QB depends on what Orton does. We'll need to add a WR at some point, but there are veterans available there, and the draft is deep at WR, too. RB I'd like to see addressed because I don't like Randle, but we can do that next offseason if we want to.

We do have to address DL, and not just high in the draft. I agree.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
I love how people are finding the silver lining in that Garrett will be gone next year and we'll have had hit the reset button and have all this cap room. I fear we are already getting the first built in excuses extra early for why he'll be extended...

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I'll bite. I don't see three years of helpessness ahead of us. We were in it last year despite being without Ratliff, Spencer, Crawford, Bass, Lee, a healthy Ware and a healthy Romo for the last game.

wileedog

Reaction score
I'll bite. I don't see three years of helpessness ahead of us. We were in it last year despite being without Ratliff, Spencer, Crawford, Bass, Lee, a healthy Ware and a healthy Romo for the last game.

In what? The chance to get demolished in the first round of the playoffs by NO because our division sucked?

Yay?

alicetooljam

Reaction score

Sorry, we were in "what" exactly?

Common Sense

Reaction score

Wait, you mean we were in it without BEN BASS? How?

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
You guys obviously have no recollection of how bad the Campo years were. You also apparently don't realize how bad it is to be without half your projected opening day DL.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As long as Romo is here, we will not be in Campo years. Tony is the difference between the two. When Romo does leave, it will truly be bad times and it is sad that a lot don't realize that. For better or worse, Tony is the only reason this team has been competitive.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
I wasn't around for the Campo years but anything is better than 8-8, literally anything. 9-7 and higher gets you a playoff shot. 7-9 and lower gets you in the top half of the draft.

It has to get worse before it gets better but the thing is with Romo signed long term to a gigantic contract, we can't rebuild, not until he's cut, retired or his contract is done. He will win games for you and get you to 8-8 by himself but with our defense, they will lose games to keep us at 8-8. It's a tough spot to be in but who knows maybe we fill out that defense with spot on drafting and more signings and things work out?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know that stench from anywhere. All the chuckling and sunshine pumping from the Jones dictators the last few years led us to today. Ware gone, M&M jags in, competition improving everywhere. Dark years are ahead folks. Hang on tight.

We went 8-8 the last 2 years with awful defenses. Improve them and the record will get better. Seems easy enough to me.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Truth is no one knows what is coming around the bend. Will we be terrible without Romo? I don't know depends how our new Quarterback plays. I doubt we are headed to the Campo days because the situations are quite different. Under Campo we had a broken down Aikman and the unholy quartet of Wright, Carter, Stoerner and Leaf. Let's not forget hutch either. We had an aging running back terrible receivers and a bad Oline. I don't see that now.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
As long as Romo is here, we will not be in Campo years. Tony is the difference between the two. When Romo does leave, it will truly be bad times and it is sad that a lot don't realize that. For better or worse, Tony is the only reason this team has been competitive.

I will most certainly miss Romo. Garrett's popularity will tank even more once his gone.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
If it means gutting this team, fine. The Campo years brought change and made Jerry change his ways to get Parcells in here.

I would say the past 3 seasons have been worse than the Campo years. Purgatory is the worst place to be. We gain nothing. Except false hope from Jerry to continue to get us deeper and deeper in salary cap mess. And extend players that don't need to be i.e. Romo, Witten, Ratliff and others. Making silly trades in the draft i.e. 2012 to get Claiborne.

Now what we have is a QB who can't win but being paid as a top 5 QB or somewhere around there. So we have all this money tied into him that hinders our ability to do much else with the other bad contracts we have.

We are stuck. We can't tear it down. Not with Romo's contract. No one is touching that. Can't cut or trade him. So we are forced to keep trying and rolling the dice.

This team is a 9-7 team at best and that's if everything falls into place. That is our ceiling. And a quick first round exit if we happen to get into the playoffs. Yet we are paying our QB the way we are.

But most likely, we will be 7-9 or 8-8 and miss the playoffs for the 6th time in the last 7 years. And do it all again in 2015.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
The Campo years.

Oh yes...the string of 5-11 years.

Got news for you. It's gonna get worse. Real worse. So bad...we are gonna wish for the Campo years. How can people forgot the head coach of the 2008 0-16 Detroit Lions is now our defensive coordinator?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Detroit_Lions_season

There was a reason why we had the worst defense in the history of the Cowboys last year. Now we just promoted him to lead the D.

Consider this the perfect storm. An owner that is unwilling to pay top defensive talent. A defensive coordinator that has convinced the owner he can take inferior talent and make a winner.

2014 Cowboys may give the 2008 Lions a run for their money.

Historians will look back and say what kind of owner would hire a coach that led the only team in NFL history to 0-16???? And then promote him?

This will be Jerry Jones darkest hour when all the dust settles.