Recap: Anyone else just hear Tony on TheTicket?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not hindsight. There were plenty of us who had the common sense to say make Romo play out his final year and see what he does. It's not like he had led the team to great success and earned $100 million no questions asked. To me it made more sense to tell him to get something done on the field in the playoffs and you get your $100 million. If not, we'll revisit the QB position and your salary demands. After getting hurt, he probably could have been had for half the price and if not, a QB could have been drafted and some other team's fans can be delighted with his December choke jobs.

I read this post and only see code for "I never liked Tony Romo to begin with."

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
It's not hindsight. There were plenty of us who had the common sense to say make Romo play out his final year and see what he does.

Nobody paid attention because it wasn't common sense, it was just haters being haters. Fortunately for you, it's not even hindsight yet because he hasn't even played a SINGLE GAME under the new contract yet. So can we maybe wait and see how it plays out?

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I read this post and only see code for "I never liked Tony Romo to begin with."

I liked him fine until it became obvious he can't get it done. I've actually got two signed jerseys that I bet are now worth 20% (if that) of what I paid for them.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
Not really a concern. Tons of Cowboys fans want him gone anyway, so if he gets hurt in game one, they win! They being the "realists".

I root for the Dallas Cowboys and Tony Romo. But I also realize he isn't the future. It's better to start grooming a young QB now instead of the teams success entirely dependent on a QB who's back is teetering on oblivion.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
Nobody paid attention because it wasn't common sense, it was just haters being haters. Fortunately for you, it's not even hindsight yet because he hasn't even played a SINGLE GAME under the new contract yet. So can we maybe wait and see how it plays out?

I was very staunch on waiting out Romo's final year before signing him to a new contract, just like I was with Ratliff. Both contracts look appalling now. Does this fact in itself make someone a hater?

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Yeah, didn't sound good. If we don't draft a QB in the first round next year. It's getting to where you can't really count on Tony beyond this year.

I've had the worst gut feeling that we're going to get smashed with a 4-12 record this year since March. Things are looking very bad right now.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Did Jerry sign Romo to his extension before or after Romo hurt his back?

After it was confirmed that Romo will in fact be a paraplegic the next time a defensive tackle breathes on him, Jerry broke his wrist inking a 15 year, $500M extension that's actual in secret waiting to be announced the second Romo's back explodes like this:

FLIR_targets_insurgents_dog.gif

Zordon

Reaction score
Come on Z.

Romo had back surgery (dec2013) WAY before he signed that contract in March 2014.
He wasn't close to recovery at the time they signed the contract.

You make it sound like he tried to deceive Jerry.

I think you have your dates mixed up.

Romo signed his new deal in March of 2013. He had the cyst removal 2 months later.

I wish reality would bring back the search function but it was either Fisher or Sully who said on twitter that Romo brought up the back soreness a few weeks after signing the new deal. I remember for a fact reading this.

KB1122

Reaction score
For a second let's forget Manziel the Personality and ask the basic question, how do you not draft the quarterback sitting at the top of your draft board when your starting qb is in this sort of shape?

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I was very staunch on waiting out Romo's final year before signing him to a new contract, just like I was with Ratliff. Both contracts look appalling now. Does this fact in itself make someone a hater?

Yes, because there was no rational reason to not to want to extend Romo. They needed the cap space desperately and he's one of their better players.

Zordon

Reaction score
I think this is an excellent point.

But don't forget why we extended him early--we needed cap relief.

"Dallas only had $51,005 of cap room before Romo’s new deal. The contract gives the Cowboys $5 million of much needed cap relief immediately by lowering Romo’s 2013 cap number from his $16,818,835 to $11,818,835. Addressing Romo’s contract situation should have been one of the Cowboys’ first offseason moves considering the severe cap problems they’ve been facing. Dallas restructured multiple contracts in order to be compliant with the cap on March 12 when the 2013 league year started. Better timing with Romo’s deal could have given the Cowboys more flexibility regarding restructuring contracts and the option to enter the free agent market sooner. Dallas was the next to last team to sign a player in free agency."

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/03/tony-romo-contract-inside-cowboys-new-deal_n_3007568.html

Trust me, I was well aware of this and willing to accept it. Contrary to our senile owner's beliefs, this team wasn't going anywhere the last few years. Yes, we might have snuck into the playoffs with a little better coaching but we weren't winning any meaningful games. I was willing to take the cap hit in order to get some assurance that I am making the right investment with Romo considering the status of the rest of the team. You needed to wait till his contract expired in order to do that. If Jerry had followed that plan he's looking at a 10-20 million discount right now on that contract considering the status of this man's back. The risk is letting him become a FA but let's be real, Romo's reputation is shot around the league, fair or not. No GM is going to face his fanbase after giving Tony Romo $100M+ to join their team and Romo, after getting married and having a kid, had no interest in leaving Dallas. Even after letting him become a FA, we would have easily resigned him at the same or lower price if that was our ultimate decision.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Tony Romo just did a quick interview with The Ticket. It wasn't good.

Completely disregard Jerry Jones proclamation yesterday that Romo "is 100 percent". He is far from.

I've never heard Romo so timid and uncertain when it came to anything. He sells it better than anyone, and he did talk about how he was looking forward to the season, excited about the offensive line, blah, blah. But he also spoke cryptically about his back.

Romo said he still feels the torque of throwing and playing feels on his back. He said he can "go out there and do pretty much everything, but not for three hours."

NFL games are three hours. And they have live hitting with guys that will DEFINITELY be aiming to twist that back all they can.

So in other words, he's pacing himself and managing his back. You don't build up a bad back. You manage it, and that's why he's not participating in practice much. I suspect he'll play even less than normal in preseason.

I had my self convinced from previous interviews with him and others that this wasn't as bad as most back injuries. Now, I feel much more pessimistic.

Same boat. He's had the odds on his side. Perhaps this changes the game.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
Trust me, I was well aware of this and willing to accept it. Contrary to our senile owner's beliefs, this team wasn't going anywhere the last few years. Yes, we might have snuck into the playoffs with a little better coaching but we weren't winning any meaningful games. I was willing to take the cap hit in order to get some assurance that I am making the right investment with Romo considering the status of the rest of the team. You needed to wait till his contract expired in order to do that. If Jerry had followed that plan he's looking at a 10-20 million discount right now on that contract considering the status of this man's back. The risk is letting him become a FA but let's be real, Romo's reputation is shot around the league, fair or not. No GM is going to face his fanbase after giving Tony Romo $100M+ to join their team and Romo, after getting married and having a kid, had no interest in leaving Dallas. Even after letting him become a FA, we would have easily resigned him at the same or lower price if that was our ultimate decision.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
For a second let's forget Manziel the Personality and ask the basic question, how do you not draft the quarterback sitting at the top of your draft board when your starting qb is in this sort of shape?

Because that QB happens to be Manziel, as the Brownies are slowly learning, much to their dismay. Bet they'd take a do over right now if offered.

RS12

Reaction score
Good thing he got that huge
On the nosey