Anyone Ever Have Kidney Stones?

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
So a couple of days ago I had surgery to remove a 10mm kidney stone. The procedure took only an hour, but it hurts like the dickens. They installed a stent in my kidney to help the stones pass, but it's very uncomfortable. My "groin" is sore like I've never experience, I'm urinating blood and my back aches. On top of this, I woke up this morning and was using the restroom and the next thing I know I wake up next to the toilet. I fainted and feel nauseous. I'm trying to find someone to take me to the hospital. Everyone is working, etc. So I think I'm about to just bite the bullet and go back to the E.R. I haven't been sleeping and the pain medication isn't working. So something has to change. I'm just in a world of hurt right now.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Had em ---manged to pass all of them --although the last one took nearly a week...

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
justbob;4990201 said:
Had em ---manged to pass all of them --although the last one took nearly a week...

I can't believe how annoyingly painful they are. I'm dragging myself to the E.R.. I just want relief.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Yep --they will wreck you for a while --threw up a lot ---took alot of meds and sat in a tub of hot water----to cheap to go to the ER.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I have had several of them. When you get to the ER tell them what it is and then say "Morhine". And lots of it. It dispenses with the What level of pain are you in question.

I had to have one removed surgically as well. Oddly enough I know the date becuase it was the same day that Jerry Bought the Cowboys.

Anyway, make sure they test for the type of stone it is. Most often it is calcium and they will want to restrict your intake of dairy. Mine however was Caffine and let me tell yu, if they would have told me that air caused it I would have given up breathing.

Oh and another thing. I have had the stent as well. And the first experience after that comes out is like trying to pass a house in the bathroom. Grab a towel to bite down on.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Get to the ER for sure.

Anyone that currently has kidney stones or is susceptible to having them needs to take magnesium (citrate is the best form), potassium (citrate is the best form), and B6. My mother had one removed during the eighties and has had recurring problems since and taking those has helped them go away. The "theory" is that your body is lacking in one or more of those and the others along with calcium form the stones.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I have had two of them and they are the most painful thing I have ever encountered. I have a very high pain tolerance and the second one brought me to tears. Drink lots of water to break the stone up. That is what the Dr's told me to. I now drink water all the time because I do not want to go through that pain ever again. You will know when you pass it because the pain was unbearable.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Good luck. I had them. Unbelievable pain. Drink lots of fluids. I think that is the only advice anyone, including doctors, can give.

Take care.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I had one (and so far the only one) about 12 years ago. I still remember every second of that day because of the pain. I ended up going to 3different clinics (long story) before being directed to the hospital late that night. They ended up filling me with morphine. After I woke up a couple of hours later I had passed it. I had never been so happy when that pain was gone.

My daughter had a kidney stone a week later and she was only 14 at the time. I felt badly for her, but she passed hers rather quickly.

I drink plenty of fluids now just to keep everything flushing. I hope I never have to go through that again.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4990247 said:
I have had several of them. When you get to the ER tell them what it is and then say "Morhine". And lots of it. It dispenses with the What level of pain are you in question.

I had to have one removed surgically as well. Oddly enough I know the date becuase it was the same day that Jerry Bought the Cowboys.

Anyway, make sure they test for the type of stone it is. Most often it is calcium and they will want to restrict your intake of dairy. Mine however was Caffine and let me tell yu, if they would have told me that air caused it I would have given up breathing.

Oh and another thing. I have had the stent as well. And the first experience after that comes out is like trying to pass a house in the bathroom. Grab a towel to bite down on.

I went to the Dr. My surgery got complicated by a severe kidney infection. They prescribed more antibiotics and pain medication. I argued against being admitted and they will see me tomorrow morning to see if I'm kicking the infection with antibiotics. Checked for kidney failure--none. So that's good.

Question: Are you saying that having the stent taken out is going to hurt as bad as I imagine it will?

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4990446 said:
I went to the Dr. My surgery got complicated by a severe kidney infection. They prescribed more antibiotics and pain medication. I argued against being admitted and they will see me tomorrow morning to see if I'm kicking the infection with antibiotics. Checked for kidney failure--none. So that's good.

Question: Are you saying that having the stent taken out is going to hurt as bad as I imagine it will?

Well, that's not gonna be a day at the zoo but when you first take a wiz it's going to hurt like crazy.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4990461 said:
Well, that's not gonna be a day at the zoo but when you first take a wiz it's going to hurt like crazy.

Bro. My first one when the stent was in was no walk in the park either. It was so painful. The urologist told me it would hurt, but my gosh. I woke up from anesthesia and wanted to go use the restroom. I was out of it and they guy kept saying you just went. I was smart enough to have a babbling conversation about how I did not consciously go. And he ordered some lorazepam for me and I was relaxed enough to go. But my goodness, you're saying it's going to be worse than that?

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4990478 said:
Bro. My first one when the stent was in was no walk in the park either. It was so painful. The urologist told me it would hurt, but my gosh. I woke up from anesthesia and wanted to go use the restroom. I was out of it and they guy kept saying you just went. I was smart enough to have a babbling conversation about how I did not consciously go. And he ordered some lorazepam for me and I was relaxed enough to go. But my goodness, you're saying it's going to be worse than that?

Like a a fire ant colony took up residence in your man parts.

jubal

Reaction score
What happened to the procedure where you sit in water up over your kidneys and the stone is targeted by camera or by ultra sound, then it is zapped until it breaks up to granules easily passed. I think they used a ultrasonic vibrations directional emitter to hit the stone precisely.
I saw it done on TV long ago. Must have some bad side effects,or not used enough to keep the equipment around.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
jubal;4990508 said:
What happened to the procedure where you sit in water up over your kidneys and the stone is targeted by camera or by ultra sound, then it is zapped until it breaks up to granules easily passed. I think they used a ultrasonic vibrations directional emitter to hit the stone precisely.
I saw it done on TV long ago. Must have some bad side effects,or not used enough to keep the equipment around.

There are some issues with that. They were going to do that with mine until they realized the stone was behind the pelvis. If they blasted it, it would have busted my pelvis. Also it like being hit in your kidney with a ball bat from what I was told.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I got up to piss one night in college and about two steps out of bed I doubled over into the fetal position on the ground. My then girlfriend managed to get me into a vehicle and to the ER. They ran a bunch of tests, never giving me anything for the pain. I sat in a hospital bed for what seemed like 4-6 hours. The tests came back and they confirmed it was a kidney stone -- again nothing for the pain. Some time later I passed the thing in a hospital bathroom, and like clockwork, 5 minutes after a nurse walks into the room with pain meds. Of course, by then I felt like a million bucks. I went crazy. I spent all night in a hospital, they confirmed what I already knew and then gave me pain meds after I felt better. About a month later I got the bill in the mail for something like $2000 -- for nothing.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate this thread, so much. I can't even come in to moderate without cringing.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
While going through an insane amount of health issues I did have one. At the same time I had a bowel obstruction so I was already hopped up on IV dilaudid (much stronger then morphine) so I don't remember the experience all that much. All I do recollect is that it was exceptionally painful.