Anyone Ever Have Kidney Stones?

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
Just reading this thread, Im ready to drink gallons of water.

Hope you get better, man. Ouchie.

Passepartout

Reaction score
My mom has been having them since 1995 and due to her lupus. She had twice long hospital stays in 2008 and 2011. Nearly almost dying of one in 2011 as she was in such pain.

Due to her lupus, she can't have an operation that I can't explain as it is hard to explain where they try to seal the kidney up as she nearly lost a kidney.

She has not really had one for a year and a half, a hard one but she had passed two kidney stones safely thank goodness.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
theogt;4990570 said:
I got up to piss one night in college and about two steps out of bed I doubled over into the fetal position on the ground. My then girlfriend managed to get me into a vehicle and to the ER. They ran a bunch of tests, never giving me anything for the pain. I sat in a hospital bed for what seemed like 4-6 hours. The tests came back and they confirmed it was a kidney stone -- again nothing for the pain. Some time later I passed the thing in a hospital bathroom, and like clockwork, 5 minutes after a nurse walks into the room with pain meds. Of course, by then I felt like a million bucks. I went crazy. I spent all night in a hospital, they confirmed what I already knew and then gave me pain meds after I felt better. About a month later I got the bill in the mail for something like $2000 -- for nothing.

Ouch.

T-RO

Reaction score
Both my older brothers have "enjoyed" them. I fear the hand of destiny.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
jubal;4990508 said:
What happened to the procedure where you sit in water up over your kidneys and the stone is targeted by camera or by ultra sound, then it is zapped until it breaks up to granules easily passed. I think they used a ultrasonic vibrations directional emitter to hit the stone precisely.
I saw it done on TV long ago. Must have some bad side effects,or not used enough to keep the equipment around.

The hospital I went to doesn't have that machine. Instead, the urologist uses a laser. I must say, ultrasonic waves sound much better. And, if I had to do it again, I would go to a different hospital. I can't believe I let the Dr. do that. I guess I'm a pushover for attractive and intelligent Asian wimmen. :)

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Gemini Dolly;4990606 said:
Just reading this thread, Im ready to drink gallons of water.

Hope you get better, man. Ouchie.

Thanks. I'm ready for it to pass, too. No pun intended.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I had one back in high school.

I nearly passed out before I even got in the car to go to the ER. Just a terrible pain all through your stomach and back before you even deal with passing the thing.

Plankton

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4990177 said:
So a couple of days ago I had surgery to remove a 10mm kidney stone. The procedure took only an hour, but it hurts like the dickens. They installed a stent in my kidney to help the stones pass, but it's very uncomfortable. My "groin" is sore like I've never experience, I'm urinating blood and my back aches. On top of this, I woke up this morning and was using the restroom and the next thing I know I wake up next to the toilet. I fainted and feel nauseous. I'm trying to find someone to take me to the hospital. Everyone is working, etc. So I think I'm about to just bite the bullet and go back to the E.R. I haven't been sleeping and the pain medication isn't working. So something has to change. I'm just in a world of hurt right now.

I feel your pain.

Had a 7 mm one a year and a half ago. Woke up in a crap load of pain, at first I thought I ruptured my appendix. Started peeing blood later at the hospital, and then got a cat scan to confirm. Hospital doctor said to try and let it pass. LOL.

Got a lithotripsy procedure a week later (earliest that it could be scheduled). Still had to pass it afterward. That sucked. Felt like broken glass passing through my woo woo.

Hope that you get some relief.

Plankton

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4990660 said:
The hospital I went to doesn't have that machine. Instead, the urologist uses a laser. I must say, ultrasonic waves sound much better. And, if I had to do it again, I would go to a different hospital. I can't believe I let the Dr. do that. I guess I'm a pushover for attractive and intelligent Asian wimmen. :)

It's not better.

They put you under for it. Blast you for around 20 minutes with shock waves. It makes your kidney feel like it went through a meat grinder. The first time you have to go to the bathroom, the amount of blood that comes out is insane - it will make you think that you ruptured a blood vessel.

The only saving grace is being put under.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Plankton;4990983 said:
I feel your pain.

Had a 7 mm one a year and a half ago. Woke up in a crap load of pain, at first I thought I ruptured my appendix. Started peeing blood later at the hospital, and then got a cat scan to confirm. Hospital doctor said to try and let it pass. LOL.

Got a lithotripsy procedure a week later (earliest that it could be scheduled). Still had to pass it afterward. That sucked. Felt like broken glass passing through my woo woo.

Hope that you get some relief.

This is what I went through except they did my surgery immediately because of potential obstruction. The lithotripsy was difficult immediately after and has gotten worse with a kidney infection and then, today, I guess is when I began feeling the effects of passing the so-called "gravel". Broken glass is exactly right. Feels like my schlong is fire from it all. It's no joke.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Plankton;4990987 said:
It's not better.

They put you under for it. Blast you for around 20 minutes with shock waves. It makes your kidney feel like it went through a meat grinder. The first time you have to go to the bathroom, the amount of blood that comes out is insane - it will make you think that you ruptured a blood vessel.

The only saving grace is being put under.

I see. I guess there is no easy way to deal with it. It just looked easy on the video I saw. Apparently not.

Mike_45

Reaction score
I have had them three times.

First time it seemed like it took months for them to pass, once the first one passed I fished it out of the toilet with a plastic spoon and had it analyzed. It was a calcium stone, the second one broke up and passed in small pieces. Both were not huge, under 4 millimeters.

I did not make any dietary changes at this time, I was young and dumb at 25.

The second time I was on vacation at the beach and I went to the bathroom and it was like firefire and I pissed blood. Went to the doctor and ended up having a procudere where they were broken up. I made some dietary changes but didnt stick with it.

This past September I woke up in the middle of the night in extreme pain and started vomiting up blood. Went to the ER and got a stomach tube, morphine, cat scan and vomited a few more times. Turns out that a decent sized stone was passing, about 4 millimeters again and it caused some irritation which caused the vomiting. I was given Rapaflo which from what I have read is a cousin of flomax that really relaxes things down there. I ended up passing the stone with that.

This time I did some research and a 24 hour urine collection. Based upon the results of that and my research I cut down on eating as much animal protein, I cut out almost all sodas and energy drinks, cut back on whiskey, started to drink a lot more water and at least twice a week I have a glass of real lemonade.

In my case since I was not producing enough urine, the urine was sitting stagnant in my kidneys allwoing the stones to from. Sine it was stagnant and since I was eating a lot of red meat and flushing my fllushing my kidneys out effectivley I was just asking for trouble. Plus where I live is in the kidney stone belt.

So far so good on my changes, I am five months in and have not had a recurrence. I go every six months for xrays and a follow up with the Urologist.

On a side note, the guy that did my surgery was Dr. Wang. :)

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Mike_45;4992972 said:
This time I did some research and a 24 hour urine collection. Based upon the results of that and my research I cut down on eating as much animal protein, I cut out almost all sodas and energy drinks, cut back on whiskey, started to drink a lot more water and at least twice a week I have a glass of real lemonade.
Cutting caffeine out will help a lot as well.

Mike_45;4992972 said:
On a side note, the guy that did my surgery was Dr. Wang. :)

Wow. Talk about fulfilling your destiny.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
HOLY CRAP!!!

I down about 8-12 Diet Cokes a day. Nothing yet, but if I have to cut out my DC, Im in trouble

Mike_45

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4993010 said:
Cutting caffeine out will help a lot as well.

Wow. Talk about fulfilling your destiny.

They also have a guy at the practice who is Dr. Chopp. He does vasectomies. I kid you not.