Anyone ever meet Jerry Jones or Stephen?

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Ive shook Jerry's hand and he signed my brothers hat. It was immediately following a game at Texas Stadium back when they had the Cowboy Club or Corral...whatever it was. He was just walking among the people and was right next to us.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I am guessing Emmitt is pretty much down to earth. Now Irvin, on the other hand, is probably a very memorable experience. :)

How was Emmitt? How did you meet him?

It's 1993 and I'm working at MGM Studios at Disney World in Orlando and we would get daily production assignments on where we were going to shoot in the parks and what it was for (yes the job was as awesome as you would think). So my best friend is a cameraman and a life long Cowboy fan and I'm his camera utility (camera assist) We look at the Big Board for schedules and we were shocked to see that coming up in a few days is the "Emmitt Smith Nephew Birthday Party" that's being shot inside a restaurant at MGM Studios - but we were not assigned. It was a small crew consisting of camera, camera assist, audio and a small lighting package.

We immediately run to the camera guy who got the job and told him and his camera assist that we would take the assignment for them and give them our day rate. They both couldn't say yes fast enough.

We spent the entire day with Emmitt and his nephew who was about ten at the time and some of his family and friends and he was incredible. We wore our hats and we kind of had to overcome the fanboy thing at first but once he knew we knew our stuff and were cool we talked football the rest of the day. He was young at the time but very polite and grateful to everyone for the time his nephew had.

By the way, that same job got us into a lot of VIP stuff at Disney like the opening of the ESPN Club on the Disney Boardwalk where after we were done shooting we drank with Drew Pearson and Tony Dorsett all night. Drew could talk all night about his playing days, Tony not so much but I remember we were all bashing Joe Thiesman who was there. It was awesome.

Great memories.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
@DandyDon1722 I worked with an engineer who married Joe Theisman’s sister. He would call him Uncle Joe, just like his kids did. I would often ask him ‘how’s Uncle Joe?’ when I would see him at work. He said Theisman was very cool and would sometimes show up at family gatherings in his helicopter.

Thomas82

Reaction score
I met Jerry in 2001 in Atlanta before the Cowboys/Falcons game and he signed my game program.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone out there actually met Jerry Jones or Stephen in person. How did it happen? Just a chance meeting? A charity or football event? Business meeting?

What was he like?

I thought someone mentioned in some thread that he met Jerry. Not sure who it was.
Risen drooled at his meeting of Spaulding Jones but poor Spaulding on the other hand has never quite recovered…lol!

waving monkey

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone out there actually met Jerry Jones or Stephen in person. How did it happen? Just a chance meeting? A charity or football event? Business meeting?

What was he like?

I thought someone mentioned in some thread that he met Jerry. Not sure who it was.
When Jones bought the team Jones came into my hang bar and stood around laughin and buying people drinks. He was very open and friendly. it was several months after the paper came out with Jerry and Jimmy at that Mexican restaurant on Lemmon Ave. He stayed around about an hour and made a good impression on me and i think others.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What was he like?

Never met either Jerry of SJ. But I’m sure it would be fun if time allowed a real chat. I think they are both good people who really love their family.

My problem with them is not them as people- it’s about their poor football management. They simply haven’t been getting winning results on the field anymore for way too long. And they seem stubbornly married to running things their same old way instead of doing whatever it takes to win. Even if it means backing off. They aren’t willing to that.

It’s nothing personal. I just want my favorite team to win something meaningful for a change.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Never met either Jerry of SJ. But I’m sure it would be fun if time allowed a real chat. I think they are both good people who really love their family.

My problem with them is not them as people- it’s about their poor football management. They simply haven’t been getting winning results on the field anymore for way too long. And they seem stubbornly married to running things their same old way instead of doing whatever it takes to win. Even if it means backing off. They aren’t willing to that.

It’s nothing personal. I just want my favorite team to win something meaningful for a change.

You sure do like to publicize your ‘problem’ with Jerry. It definitely bubbles to the surface in your posts or threads an abnormally large percentage.

Jerry Derangement Syndrome - some got it bad.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You sure do like to publicize your ‘problem’ with Jerry. It definitely bubbles to the surface in your posts or threads an abnormally large percentage.

Jerry Derangement Syndrome - some got it bad.
What’s your definition of “JDS”? If it means I have a problem with us not winning enough then I certainly have that disease.

You seem more obsessed with my criticisms of Jerry’s lack of results than anything else I have opinions on. It’s almost comical how obsessed you are about that. I have no problem with you or anyone else’s opinions of JJ or of this team. I just find it odd how obsessed you are with my opinions and translating that into a “derangement”. But it’s just your opinion, so that’s cool.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
What’s your definition of “JDS”? If it means I have a problem with us not winning enough then I certainly have that disease.

You seem more obsessed with my criticisms of Jerry’s lack of results than anything else I have opinions on. It’s almost comical how obsessed you are about that. I have no problem with you or anyone else’s opinions of JJ or of this team. I just find it odd how obsessed you are with my opinions and translating that into a “derangement”. But it’s just your opinion, so that’s cool.

A simple ‘did you ever meet him’ question turns into a knee jerk reaction ‘my problem with him.’

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
I can guarantee Jerry likes to sling in the mud every now and again.

True story...my buddies and I had a weekend where we only drank cheap beer. Old Milwaukee. Busch. Miller Lite. Genie Cream Ale. It was hysterical. That crap is disgusting but we had a blast going down memory lane.
Old Milwaukee 3 Quarts for a dollar drank lots of it cause the price was right

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I said hello to Stephen once when he was scarfing down some Chicago pizza prior to the Bears game in September 2007.

I wish I had told him how I really felt about him and Daddy’s incompetent running of the entire operation.

JayFord

Reaction score
i wish i could meet Jerry in person he seems like a real great guy to be around

DallasCowboysRule!

Reaction score
Famous family story is when grandma cornered Jerry Jones at training camp and chewed him out in the wake of the Tom Landry firing.