Anyone miss Byron Jones?

quickccc

Reaction score
Cowboys were committed to re-evaluating and re-emphasizing player personnel that could best produce turnovers; they placed a stronger emphasis on ball hawking
and they knew Byron Jones would never give them that.
And they certainly were not gonna pay him as the highest paid CB in NFL, as Fins did at the time.

- Byron's mentality is to shadow you enuff, to be close enuff to knock the ball to the ground.
Jones was a solid man-press coverage CB, but not one that is gonna change the dynamics with turnovers.

- Just as they have now cemented a franchise factoring CB at one side with Diggs, the second challenge is adding a second INT ball hawk/coverage
guy opposite Diggs. Hopefully between Joseph and Wright, we will eventually have that CB2 guy, and young bookend stud CBs for years to come.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'd rather have Diggs than Byron....but if you are trying to convince yourself that you'd rather have Anthony Brown than Byron? You are kidding yourself. I don't want Byron's salary but like I said in another post yesterday.....what's the difference between wasting money on Byron when you wasted it on Jaylon and Collins?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know I don’t !

Dude couldnt couldn’t catch a pass if his life depended on it

hated seeing him batting down passes and not even trying
It's nonsense to say he wasn't trying, he was just more of a strong cover guy than a ball hawk. If we had him on top of Diggs the CB situation would be much better than today. I'm not saying we should have paid him though. Teams have to make tough choices sometimes.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Cowboys were committed to re-evaluating and re-emphasizing player personnel that could best produce turnovers; they placed a stronger emphasis on ball hawking
and they knew Byron Jones would never give them that.
And they certainly were not gonna pay him as the highest paid CB in NFL, as Fins did at the time.

- Byron's mentality is to shadow you enuff, to be close enuff to knock the ball to the ground.
Jones was a solid man-press coverage CB, but not one that is gonna change the dynamics with turnovers.

- Just as they have now cemented a franchise factoring CB at one side with Diggs, the second challenge is adding a second INT ball hawk/coverage
guy opposite Diggs. Hopefully between Joseph and Wright, we will eventually have that CB2 guy, and young bookend stud CBs for years to come.
Let's don't kid ourselves.....if the Cowboys didn't have to pay Dak, Amari, Zeke, Collins and Jaylon all at the same time? They would've re-signed Byron. The amount of money it would cost to bring Byron back is why he's not here. Not because they reevaluated player player personnel.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's nonsense to say he wasn't trying, he was just more of a strong cover guy than a ball hawk. If we had him on top of Diggs the CB situation would be much better than today. I'm not saying we should have paid him though. Teams have to make tough choices sometimes.
Man its like people just woke up one day and started watching football. There are different types of corners in this league. Like you said, you have guys who are stronger in coverage who's soul purpose is to do his job and not get beat. You have some corners....who get take chances even if it means getting beat deep here and there...you have some who have great ball skills and good coverage skills......neither one is better than the other. There's room for both guys on a team.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Biggest misconception about Byron Jones is that he didn’t give up plays.

B. Jones
E2-C9-A2-B8-A799-4449-8-AA1-AE23-F6-B0-AE5-F.jpg

T. Diggs
F305-C29-A-F027-4154-A6-CF-62-FB2752237-C.jpg

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I like Byron and he’d be a big upgrade.

That being said, I’d rather have Asante Samuel Jr on the other side on his cheap contract.
Yeah he makes plays just like his dad did. I knew they'd never look at him because of his size and they just re-signed Jourdan Lewis. but man at some point you have to throw measurables out of the window.

SackMaster

Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with saying that Byron is the better "pure coverage" corner, and Diggs is the better "playmaking" corner.

Both are great at what they do, but I can say without hesitation, teams don't fear coverage corners that don't produce Ints. Sure, the chances you making a big play against Byron is less likely than against Diggs, but Diggs will make you pay if you are wrong when Byron would just stop the a big play from happening.

I would love to have both on the team, but Byron is gone and I'm fine with that too.

I just can't wait to see what Joseph brings to the table because IMO, he is much closer to Diggs than he is Jones, and he may even surpass Diggs in playmaking ability (if college production is any indicator).

It just sucks that Joseph hasn't been ready to go.
:angry:

So in conclusion, I miss Byron's steady play and blanket coverage, but I don't miss having to pay him that big contract when he doesn't produce turnovers.
:thumbup:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He plays opposite of Howard and is still average
Its worth noting that I think Byron would probably be better in Quinn's scheme then he would in what Dolphins are running. Even is Howard. When everyone is struggling that's usually a sign of something much bigger than the players as we saw last season with Nolan.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with saying that Byron is the better "pure coverage" corner, and Diggs is the better "playmaking" corner.

Both are great at what they do, but I can say without hesitation, teams don't fear coverage corners that don't produce Ints. Sure, the chances you making a big play against Byron is less likely than against Diggs, but Diggs will make you pay if you are wrong when Byron would just stop the a big play from happening.

I would love to have both on the team, but Byron is gone and I'm fine with that too.

I just can't wait to see what Joseph brings to the table because IMO, he is much closer to Diggs than he is Jones, and he may even surpass Diggs in playmaking ability (if college production is any indicator).

It just sucks that Joseph hasn't been ready to go.
:angry:

So in conclusion, I miss Byron's steady play and blanket coverage, but I don't miss having to pay him that big contract when he doesn't produce turnovers.
:thumbup:

If teams didn't fear Byron when he was in Dallas then why did they attack Chido at such a higher rate? Because it was much easier. I agree though I wanted no parts of that salary. As a matter of fact when people complained on this site about letting Byron go for Zeke I told them to just hold off because Byron will more than likely be cut in a few years at that salary. Not sure if that's closer to being true or not at this point but they are paying far too much for corner for that defense to be as bad as it is but the mistake probably was paying two Corners big money to begin with.

kskboys

Reaction score
Biggest misconception about Byron Jones is that he didn’t give up plays.

B. Jones
E2-C9-A2-B8-A799-4449-8-AA1-AE23-F6-B0-AE5-F.jpg

T. Diggs
F305-C29-A-F027-4154-A6-CF-62-FB2752237-C.jpg
Much thanks. I didn't know this for a fact, but it's what I saw.

Byron has become the latest glory boy. For some odd reason, people have it in their heads that he was this great shutdown corner, when he wasn't. He was OK, solid player. That's it.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Yes. I’d love to have Byron Jones on this team and he’d be a huge upgrade to this secondary.
Agreed. Not saying we should of paid him but it's a pretty stupid narrative to be over here basically saying "duhh diggs is better, see yah Byron" when there's 2 starting corners....... (both of them can be on the field, it's not him vs him).

Byron got overpaid but if the end result was having a fringe top 5 cornerback duo in the entire NFL then I wouldn't be complaining (Byron would of been a better signing then Jaylon, Collins, and keeping Crawford past his expiration date)

Mr_437

Reaction score
I really liked Jones game, but the approach this team has had towards CBs since Byron left is exactly what Dallas needed. Ballhawks are the guys the Cowboys want, and everyone loves to see ballhawks...did you hear the crowd on that pick?

Maybe BJ can come back after he's a cap casualty in MIA.