Anyone miss Byron Jones?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Agreed. Diggs and Byron would be a fringe top 5 cornerback duo in the league, literally nobody on this site would be complaining about that. And like you said it's not like Byrons money saved by not signing him went back into the secondary lets be real (i'd rather have no Crawford and no Jaylon and keep Byron in hindsight)
Yeah this is why I really don't care about the whole money argument because they've wasted that salary on other guys lol. From Crawford, to Jaylon to Collins...hell I like D-Law but I'd even say they wasted money there too.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I know I don’t !

Dude couldnt couldn’t catch a pass if his life depended on it

hated seeing him batting down passes and not even trying

No matter how fans felt about his lack of interceptions, he would have been a clear upgrade to Brown opposite Diggs. Plus, in this scheme, he just might be getting interceptions, too. He certainly fits the body type preferred by Quinn.

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
B Jones was one of our best players and I for one wish he was on our team. Not sure I buy in to revisionist history just because he's not a Cowboy any longer... he was a v good corner.

Is he better than Diggs? Different player, why can't I have both? They would be a top tandem, they really would. I know picks flip the field and Diggs has been AMAZING but if you asked me who I'd put my money on to shut out WR1, Jones was right up there and right now better at covering than Diggs. To be clear, I'd rather have Diggs to build around but I don't think the comments on not missing Jones are right.

Am I the only one worried about passing yards against our D? Jones would make a terrific contribution to getting that number down.

The question for me is not Diggs v Jones, it's Jones v either Elliiot or J Smith and given what we know now, there's only 1 correct answer.

Don't throw shade on Jones, we miss him and would be a better D right now with him.

kskboys

Reaction score
He was what? Rated by who? And who in their right mind saw this secondary last year and thought Byron was worse than them? And we are speaking strictly on what he did in DALLAS. What he did Miami is moot. Unless someone wants to argue we should've re-signed him.
Byron was with MIA last year.

Football outsiders. I wasn't sure how to take this info until I saw that he allowed 10.6 yards per target and 17.6 yards per completion, both NFL worsts.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I'd rather have Diggs than Byron....but if you are trying to convince yourself that you'd rather have Anthony Brown than Byron? You are kidding yourself. I don't want Byron's salary but like I said in another post yesterday.....what's the difference between wasting money on Byron when you wasted it on Jaylon and Collins?

Yeah, it's just annoying to see how our fans treat players who were good for us. We got Diggs so now it's, "ha ha, we didn't need you anyway." This is why I've always been a fan of players getting paid despite what fans think. Now everyone loves Zeke again whereas if I were him, I'd be like, "to Hades with y'all."

bark

Reaction score
Had Dallas signed jones to a big free agent contract, do they spend a second round pick on diggs?
Not sure we would have wound up with both players.

SackMaster

Reaction score
I can’t say for certain but probably not with Diggs emergence.. Without Diggs emergence then absolutely yes.
I will give you credit Catch, I don't always agree with your takes, but you are consistent and was VERY pro resigning Byron (before we found out what Diggs was).
:clap:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing him being welcomed here as a potential partner to Diggs on the other side. He'd help us.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Would like to have him now, with Diggs. But in place of Diggs?

No.
I don't think anyone would take Jones over Diggs.

There just seems to be a need for some to completely downplay how good Jones was/is just to prop up Diggs.

And the other side (which I'm a part of) are saying both Diggs AND Byron were good.

But I think we all agree, we much rather have Diggs over Jones. (And that is BEFORE you add the contracts into the mix)

JMHO

starfan1

Reaction score
We had Jones and our defense still sucked. he gave up many a catch and frustrated me just like Brown does. Hes better but if your going to give up lcatc
Byron was with MIA last year.

Football outsiders. I wasn't sure how to take this info until I saw that he allowed 10.6 yards per target and 17.6 yards per completion, both NFL worsts.
Byron like many of our players is overrated by our fan base. he gave up many a catch here none worse than that 3rd and 20 to Jared Cook

blueblood70

Reaction score
NOPE unless she took 6mil and was on the other side of Diggs..hes severely overpaid

BEARCATSKLZ

Reaction score
I know I don’t !

Dude couldnt couldn’t catch a pass if his life depended on it

hated seeing him batting down passes and not even trying
Don't miss, but he is better than Brown, Jaylon Smith, Lewis, Canaday, etc...

stilltheguru

Reaction score
You didn't ask me but if it came down to re-signing Collins and Jaylon or re-signing Byron? I'd re-sign Byron. But that's a hindsight view. At the time I understood why they did what they did. It was clear to me that Byron was a great corner but it was because of his physical gifts. And those physical gifts diminish far faster than your instincts do.
Hindsight sure, but byron is lowkey basic as hell. Id take a pro bowl right tackle over a supposed shutdown corner who doesn't get picks anyday. Dude gets beat more than people think.