Anyone miss Byron Jones?

quickccc

Reaction score
Let's don't kid ourselves.....if the Cowboys didn't have to pay Dak, Amari, Zeke, Collins and Jaylon all at the same time? They would've re-signed Byron. The amount of money it would cost to bring Byron back is why he's not here. Not because they reevaluated player player personnel.

Let's not further kid ourselves, .. Cowboys re-sign who they think are core players. Those aforementioned players you mentioned
they thought and were determined to continued them to the nucleus of this team. They thought they were core players.

- If they really want to keep them, they really re-sign them. even if comes back to bite them, or they end up miscalculating them (see Jaylon, Crawford, Lewis, etc)

- If they thought Byron was a core player, if they thought Jones was Diggs like, .they would have found ways to re-sign him.
They would have moved and scruptured money around to sign him, but they apparently did not think

- If Diggs is still playing at this level come his negotiation contract time., and demands to be highest paid CB, you think the Jones
are gonna allow him to walk away as a UFA ?

Tussinman

Reaction score
I'd rather have Diggs than Byron....but if you are trying to convince yourself that you'd rather have Anthony Brown than Byron? You are kidding yourself. I don't want Byron's salary but like I said in another post yesterday.....what's the difference between wasting money on Byron when you wasted it on Jaylon and Collins?
Agreed. Diggs and Byron would be a fringe top 5 cornerback duo in the league, literally nobody on this site would be complaining about that. And like you said it's not like Byrons money saved by not signing him went back into the secondary lets be real (i'd rather have no Crawford and no Jaylon and keep Byron in hindsight)

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don’t miss him.. BUT with the Fish at 1-4, wouldn’t be mad if they got him back. Obviously he’d have to restructure but that would make a serious tandem.

SackMaster

Reaction score
If teams didn't fear Byron when he was in Dallas then why did they attack Chido at such a higher rate? Because it was much easier. I agree though I wanted no parts of that salary. As a matter of fact when people complained on this site about letting Byron go for Zeke I told them to just hold off because Byron will more than likely be cut in a few years at that salary. Not sure if that's closer to being true or not at this point but they are paying far too much for corner for that defense to be as bad as it is but the mistake probably was paying two Corners big money to begin with.
It's one thing to "fear" and another to not take advantage of a weaker player. That is what would make a Diggs/Byron combo so intriguing.

Do you try to make a play against the steady coverage with a lower probability of success but is "safe" or do you take a shot at a higher probability of success knowing that is you make a mistake and it could bite you back.

If Byron was cut and he came back at a #2 CB level salary, I would welcome him back with open arms.
:flagwave:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Much thanks. I didn't know this for a fact, but it's what I saw.

Byron has become the latest glory boy. For some odd reason, people have it in their heads that he was this great shutdown corner, when he wasn't. He was OK, solid player. That's it.
ramsey.jpg

So is Jaylen Ramsay just a "solid player" too? Because Byron has him beat in a few of these stats over the years when he was playing in Dallas.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I don't know what the heck happened with that Miami team, but it seems every player has completely regressed this season. Xavien Howard, who was supposed to be a top corner in the league, has allowed the most touchdown passes in the league and Jones is not far behind. Jerome Baker has turned into their Jaylon Smith. D-line has been completely pedestrian. One of the most underperforming units I have seen in recent memory.

Their Defensive coordinator needs to be shown the door.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I know I don’t !

Dude couldnt couldn’t catch a pass if his life depended on it

hated seeing him batting down passes and not even trying
Guy was almost ruined by the prior regime. Not a S. Don’t miss him or that ridiculous contract.

kskboys

Reaction score
Byron Jones was rated as the worst starting CB in the NFL last season.

What does it take for people to wake up n smell the coffee?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Let's not further kid ourselves, .. Cowboys re-sign who they think are core players. Those aforementioned players you mentioned
they thought and were determined to continued them to the nucleus of this team. They thought they were core players.

- If they really want to keep them, they really re-sign them. even if comes back to bite them, or they end up miscalculating them (see Jaylon, Crawford, Lewis, etc)

- If they thought Byron was a core player, if they thought Jones was Diggs like, .they would have found ways to re-sign him.
They would have moved and scruptured money around to sign him, but they apparently did not think

- If Diggs is still playing at this level come his negotiation contract time., and demands to be highest paid CB, you think the Jones
are gonna allow him to walk away as a UFA ?
With what money? What money were they going to re-sign him with? Why do you think Jaylon Smith and his camp re-signed so fast? Stephen brought up his whole pie analogy.....there's a few pieces of pay and whoever gets them first will be on the team. Byron had no reason to sign early though because he was going to get paid.

Mind you, the Cowboys don't even value their secondary enough to even spend that type of money. Its full of draft picks and vet minimum deals right now lol.

And of course they aren't going to let Diggs walk. But if hypothetically they have a "few pieces of pie" left and it comes down letting someone go between Lamb, Dak, Micah and Diggs? For sure they'd let Diggs go over those other 3. Without a doubt. Now I don't think that will be the case because they should have enough money to re-sign them all.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Byron Jones was rated as the worst starting CB in the NFL last season.

What does it take for people to wake up n smell the coffee?

He was what? Rated by who? And who in their right mind saw this secondary last year and thought Byron was worse than them? And we are speaking strictly on what he did in DALLAS. What he did Miami is moot. Unless someone wants to argue we should've re-signed him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't know what the heck happened with that Miami team, but it seems every player has completely regressed this season. Xavien Howard, who was supposed to be a top corner in the league, has allowed the most touchdown passes in the league and Jones is not far behind. Jerome Baker has turned into their Jaylon Smith. D-line has been completely pedestrian. One of the most underperforming units I have seen in recent memory.

Their Defensive coordinator needs to be shown the door.
Yeah I don't know who the DC is but when everyone is struggling that's not a reflection on Byron that's a reflection on scheme and coaching. Xavien Howard is struggling too.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Would you want him at his salary?
You didn't ask me but if it came down to re-signing Collins and Jaylon or re-signing Byron? I'd re-sign Byron. But that's a hindsight view. At the time I understood why they did what they did. It was clear to me that Byron was a great corner but it was because of his physical gifts. And those physical gifts diminish far faster than your instincts do.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Jones was more of a lock down guy where Diggs is more of a ball hawk.

Diggs will get you INTS, but he'll also give up yards and catches. Jones will not give you INTS, but he won't give up a bunch of yards and catches.

They are just too different play styles.
Lol this is not a real take. Jones gave up a passer rating of 95+ every year. Just because he didnt get thrown at a ton because the rest of the secondary was worse doesnt mean much.