Anyone notice the double standard?

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
JordanTaber;2482753 said:
Let's just say for the sake of argument that Ed Werder didn't make up his "anonymous quotes" (Bwahahahahaha).

Why is it OK for numerous teammates to anonymously throw Owens under the bus in the press, but it's not OK for Owens to be critical of others?

Isn't Owens their, uh...teammate?

Owens has a history of being critical of others. Garcia, McNabb and now he thinks Romo AND Witten (this is new to his pattern) are conspiring against him. Owens behavior past and present suggest he's paranoid and he doesn't think rationally. So when folks, teammates/media and whoever else bust on him because he busts on and QB and a TE, this is why!;)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Primetime42;2482970 said:
That happened AFTER they were both out of SF.

I don't think so. T.O.'s comments came in a September 2004 Playboy magazine interview. Magazines, even monthly ones like Playboy, generally have as much as a six-month to a year delay between interview story and release of publication. That would put Owens in San Francisco and a member of the 49ers about the same time he uttered his statement.

Owens's Rat Analogy Bites
Thursday, August 12, 2004, at 6:28 PM PST
by Ramon Alexander Jaime, CNLA Correspondent

Like Terrell Owens' boy tells him: If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat, by golly, it is a rat.

But I'd like to ask the question: Who gives a rat's *** what Terrell Owens thinks about Jeff Garcia's sexuality?

We all knew Owens could run an 'out' pattern, but what he did in the September issue of Playboy was an out-and-out example of unsportsmanlike conduct. Asked by an interviewer what he thought about Garcia having "denied media rumors he's gay," Owens responded by giving his little rodent analogy. He might as well have added, "Jeff's here, he's queer, get used to it." Owens's subsequent backpedaling -- "It wasn't like I came out and said Jeff was gay" -- was even more offensive, at least to those who believe in the sanctity of logic.

I happen to be one of those people in the media who likes Owens, and I've been defending him for years for offenses that were vastly overblown by many of my peers. When he danced on the Cowboys' star at Texas Stadium in 2000, I found it silly that everyone got so worked up about the desecration of a team logo. The Sharpie stunt in '02? In my book, an inventive goof on the autograph craze, and one that earned him an endorsement to boot.

Though many of his 49ers teammates tried to convince me otherwise, I came to view Owens as a passionate player whose obvious need for attention was a relatively harmless by-product of his competitiveness. Most of all, I've enjoyed him for his willingness to speak his mind without fear of public rebuke.

Then again, I feel the same way about Garcia, a gutsy player who fought his way into the league and earned his stardom through improvisational brilliance under pressure. Garcia has never shied away from voicing controversial opinions. That he was forced on Wednesday to answer what he termed "ridiculous, untrue comments" made by his former teammate seems especially cruel.

Second, let's assume that you are correct and that they weren't teammates. Does that make T.O.'s comments better?

Is it okay to slander an ex-teammate but not a teammate? :confused:

You're making excuses for T.O.'s behavior. And as you can see from the article I pulled, Owens has never been well-liked by his teammates. Oh, they'll say one thing in public, but in private, many have never liked him.

And based on his comments or his implication of Garcia's sexuality, I can see why.

TO was right about this: McChunky has an inferiority complex and was threatened by the way Philly loved TO. He still hasn't truly gotten over being booed on draft day and the Rush Limbaugh thing.

What does that have to do with T.O. "ratting" on McNabb?

What does that have to do with T.O. basically saying, in public, that McNabb choked during the Super Bowl?

You think it's okay for a star receiver to hold a feud in public with his star quarterback - a feud McNabb tried to avoid?

T.O. took it public. Now he's getting the same treatment here.

Ironic isn't it? ;)

No one's making this stuff up. Smoke has been everywhere T.O. has gone.

When he doesn't get his way, whether in San Francisco, Baltimore, Philadelphia and now Dallas, he throws everyone under the bus and blames everyone but himself.

He created this bed. Now he must lie in it.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
jobberone;2483001 said:
No I'm not a tough guy. I just can't stand trolls. Why did you say we didn't win a SB with our 13-3 record? Answer that and I'll think about answering your questions.

You're not even a fan and you're stirring up trouble. I'm having trouble even finding a thread about the biggest football game of the year because idiots like you are creating a logjam of TO nonsense.

Intelligent.
Try this, don't open threads where you see owens name. That way you don't have to read them. Brilliant eh? I haven't started one owens thread.

By they way, your baiting won't work.:D

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Boysboy;2482980 said:
Didn't Plaxico Burress help the Giants win the Super Bowl last year?

*shrugs* I guess that's the nature of the beast. Really-those days where Owens plays gangbusters, admit it...you guys were cheering your tails off for him.

At least be consistent.

I cheer for the team. I tolerate T.O.

But the Dallas Cowboys are bigger than T.O. or any individual player. That's why even though the Cowboys employ players I wish they wouldn't, I remain a fan.

But I won't get his jersey. I'm not going to overly gush over his performances or make him a saint just because he scores a touchdown.

I accept him for who he is ... a very talented but troubled (I think bipolar) young man.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2483029 said:
Intelligent.
Try this, don't open threads where you see owens name. That way you don't have to read them. Brilliant eh? I haven't started one owens thread.

By they way, your baiting won't work.:D

I'm not baiting you. I'm telling you you're FOS.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
Royal Laegotti;2483023 said:
Owens has a history of being critical of others. Garcia, McNabb and now he thinks Romo AND Witten (this is new to his pattern) are conspiring against him. Owens behavior past and present suggest he's paranoid and he doesn't think rationally. So when folks, teammates/media and whoever else bust on him because he busts on and QB and a TE, this is why!;)

Completely unsubstantiated. Not a good idea to present mere hearsay in an argument.

Nonetheless, these are things he ALLEGEDLY said BEHIND THE SCENES, not to the media. That doesn't give the players any right to retaliate by going to the MEDIA...because they're upset with him saying things behind closed doors.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
JordanTaber;2483041 said:
Completely unsubstantiated. Not a good idea to present mere hearsay in an argument.

Nonetheless, these are things he ALLEGEDLY said BEHIND THE SCENES, not to the media. That doesn't give the players any right to retaliate by going to the MEDIA...because they're upset with him saying things behind closed doors.

It may be unsubstantiated as many rumors are. But it shows a pattern. Remember, T.O. thought McNabb was siding with management over him in his contract dispute.

So even though we don't know for sure, it's not out of the realm of possibility that it's true based on behavior consistent with what he's done in the past.

Boysboy

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2483047 said:
It may be unsubstantiated as many rumors are. But it shows a pattern. Remember, T.O. thought McNabb was siding with management over him in his contract dispute.

So even though we don't know for sure, it's not out of the realm of possibility that it's true based on behavior consistent with what he's done in the past.

Didn't you say he's jealous of Jason Witten b/c Romo gives him more attention?

Remember in Philly, he was jealous of Westbrook b/c BW was also seeking a new contract, and management just bent backwards and forwards to get him one, while they didn't do anything to restructure TO's.

Yeah-there's another similarity right there.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2482964 said:
Uh, he implied that Garcia was gay. That was vicious and nasty. I don't care how you feel about the organization, you don't dis a teammate like that.

Well, someone else already pointed out that this incident was after they were no longer teammates...but I'd also like to point out that there's nothing wrong with being gay, so how is that a diss? Doesn't even seem like T.O. meant it as a diss (although he certainly made no secret he didn't like Garcia after the 2003 season had concluded on his message board) considering he said later in that same interview that he wouldn't really care if a teammate was gay.

What did McNabb do to be attacked by T.O.?

Depends on which incident you're talking about.

T.O. didn't handle himself well with McNabb but the biggest problem was that they're similar in some ways (notably, they both have thin skin). Each of them was offended by what the other said in the press and it just festered (that's about what I took from the situation, anyway).

Primetime0201

Benched
Reaction score
Wood;2482775 said:
just because TO doesnt have a criminal history doesnt mean he hasn't been destructive. The world is not against you when your a decent guy. If your still trying to figure out why bad things seem to follow TO or why there is this double standard against him...there is not much anyone can explain to you about how your treament of others follows you. Sorry bud.
ummm? I am sorry but I hated the idea of T.O coming here but I must say that he is right. Tony does target Witten every chance he gets this season. If you look at last year (13-3) T.O had much more looks then this year... What is the difference? We have MORE weapons this year but how many looks has Roy had? Not many... I love Tony to but the guy is being a moron this season. Witten is great but he is not as big a game changer as T.O and not to mention he has like 300 injuries...

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Boysboy;2483056 said:
Didn't you say he's jealous of Jason Witten b/c Romo gives him more attention?

Remember in Philly, he was jealous of Westbrook b/c BW was also seeking a new contract, and management just bent backwards and forwards to get him one, while they didn't do anything to restructure TO's.

Yeah-there's another similarity right there.

I assume you mean "Didn't he say he's jealous ... " because I didn't say that.

But I understand your point. We look for patterns and similarities and base our opinions accordingly.

I tell my 10-year-old son, who has a penchant for playing when he should be working, that his reputation precedes him. So if the teacher tells me he was playing in class, and he says he wasn't, I'm going to believe the teacher based on what I've observed from his behavior.

I tell him, "You may be telling the truth and you weren't playing." But I'm going to go by what I've seen and observed absent any evidence to substantiate your claim.

Same with T.O.

He has too much of a bad track record to believe people are just making this stuff up.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2483068 said:

But I understand your point. We look for patterns and similarities and base our opinions accordingly.

I tell my 10-year-old son, who has a penchant for playing when he should be working, that his reputation precedes him. So if the teacher tells me he was playing in class, and he says he wasn't, I'm going to believe the teacher based on what I've observed from his behavior.

I tell him, "You may be telling the truth and you weren't playing." But I'm going to go by what I've seen and observed absent any evidence to substantiate your claim.

Same with T.O.

He has too much of a bad track record to believe people are just making this stuff up.

What if some kid with a reputation for lying told you that your son was playing in class (i.e. Werder)? Would you believe him, then?

Boysboy

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2483068 said:

Same with T.O.

I guess we'll find out on Sun night-like I said, we win(and do so again against Baltimore later in the week), all of this will go away(whether true or not). However-if not, then :explode:

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
JordanTaber;2483041 said:

Ok so Ed Werder's making it all up, the direct quotes I just read on NFL Coundown and everything. Werder and ESPN have been ready to pounce on this for awhile so why would they wait for 3 seasons to pounce, maybe because it's happening. Oh and T.O. had his little explosion Sunday to (not exactly behind closed doors). I think this team is sick of him and ready for him to hit the lonely trail.

You say the players have no right to "retaliate" by going to the media secretly. Does T.O. have a right to do the things he does/says just because he isn't getting the ball enough?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
JordanTaber;2483065 said:
Well, someone else already pointed out that this incident was after they were no longer teammates...but I'd also like to point out that there's nothing wrong with being gay, so how is that a diss? Doesn't even seem like T.O. meant it as a diss (although he certainly made no secret he didn't like Garcia after the 2003 season had concluded on his message board) considering he said later in that same interview that he wouldn't really care if a teammate was gay.

If a person is not gay, and you say he's gay, then that's a dis. Being gay is still considered a no-no in the NFL.

Second, please share with me a positive use of the term rat, i.e., "If it smells like a rat ..."? :confused:
He didn't say, "Garcia is gay, but I support him." He chose his words carefully and, anyone using common sense can tell he meant the comment as a pejorative.

Third, regardless what T.O. later said, it wasn't his decision to out someone else. It's not your job to tell other people's personal business. That's their job. And if T.O. doesn't understand this, then his social skills are highly underdeveloped.

You're trying to put a positive spin on the situation because you like T.O. But anyone who understands social relationships recognizes what T.O. did was wrong and inappropriate. Now I'm not a supporter of homosexuality, but I understand there's a right way to do things and a wrong way to do things even if I may disagree with individuals about their lifestyles, orientations and preferences.

Depends on which incident you're talking about.

T.O. didn't handle himself well with McNabb but the biggest problem was that they're similar in some ways (notably, they both have thin skin). Each of them was offended by what the other said in the press and it just festered (that's about what I took from the situation, anyway).

You know when this all started? It was when T.O. got injured and Donovan McNabb made a statement that the Eagles could win without T.O.

T.O.'s feelings got hurt, and it was down hill from there.

Why was that so wrong for McNabb to say? :confused:

Then T.O. kept talking about McNabb publicly. And McNabb tried to avoid talking about T.O. ,but T.O. wouldn't let it die. That forced McNabb to say, "Just keep my name out of your mouth."

But T.O. wouldn't do that.

I'm sorry. I can't fault McNabb here. And I'm not going to let the fact that I don't like the Eagles to color my opinion of McNabb here or assign fault to him in his relationship with T.O.

T.O. took that issue to the public. He had no right to do that. But that's customary with how he acts.

He outted Garcia in a publication.

He took his feud with McNabb public.

He took his feud with the team public.

He took his dissatisfaction with Parcells public.

He took his dissatifaction with his role in the offense public.

He took his dissastifaction with not getting the ball enough public.

He does everything public under some misguided notion that he's just "keeping it real."

And some of you guys buy it.

Well, guess what? Now this latest controversy is public. And the person who needs to take the blame is T.O.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
Royal Laegotti;2483076 said:
Ok so Ed Werder's making it all up, the direct quotes I just read on NFL Coundown and everything. Werder and ESPN have been ready to pounce on this for awhile so why would they wait for 3 seasons to pounce, maybe because it's happening. Oh and T.O. had his little explosion Sunday to (not exactly behind closed doors). I think this team is sick of him and ready for him to hit the lonely trail.

You say the players have no right to "retaliate" by going to the media secretly. Does T.O. have a right to do the things he does/says just because he isn't getting the ball enough?

What the hell are you talking about?

Direct quotes? Aside from Bradie James making a harmless comment, the only quotes in the article are from "anonymous sources." In other words, completely fabricated.

Waited for 3 seasons to pounce? :lmao2:

The hamstring (is he faking it?), the Lance Armstrong gear, the pain killer overdose, the interview with Deion, the alleged spitting in DeAngelo Hall's face...that was all in 2006. Yeah, they just WAITED to pounce, all right.

And what little "explosion" Sunday?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
JordanTaber;2483072 said:
What if some kid with a reputation for lying told you that your son was playing in class (i.e. Werder)? Would you believe him, then?

Maybe, maybe not.

But I don't consider Werder a liar. Sensational? Maybe. Liar? No.

And in light of that story, stuff is starting to become public now, lending more credibility to Werder's story.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Boysboy;2483075 said:
I guess we'll find out on Sun night-like I said, we win(and do so again against Baltimore later in the week), all of this will go away(whether true or not). However-if not, then :explode:

I think we'd have to get to the Super Bowl and win before this blows away.

Any loss before then, and it's still an issue next year, especially if we lose by not going to T.O. in crunch time. If that happens, Katy bar the doors. ;)