Anyone see Jethro on Bob Costas

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I haven’t seen the interview, but I can assure you the question was asked in jest and probably only given due to the close proximity of the two franchises
It was actually a follow up question or tease in jest if you will after discussing Snyder, the emails surrounding the latest scandal and public scrutiny that forced Wash to change their name. Never less Jethro did respond .

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
People are bored. If I'm not mistaken, there's a baseball team that just recently had to change their name as well... I don't remember which one... Someone got bored and decided "Your team name is offensive. I'm just going to see about that."
Cleveland Indians. They also caved.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
I think it’s documented that there have been cowboys of various races. You gotta believe somewhere in history there have been female cowboys/cowboys ? Just seems there would have to be.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why would they consider changing the name from Cowboys? Is that a derogatory word? Only to people in NY, PHL and D.C.
Costas brought up the possibility that at some point there could be a discussion if the current social perceptions were to continue as such.

It was obviously a stretch but our hero answered arrogantly that he wouldn’t bet on that happening. It was more of a way for Bob to needle him a bit since he really went fairly easy on him compared to his interview and commentary years ago.

The interview was overall concerning the issues around the league not the Cowboys. He appeared to make Jethro uncomfortable a couple times but didn’t really pursue when he deflected or said he couldn’t respond.

Actually I’ll give the old hoot credit. Probably one of his better interviews recently not coming off like an old fool sputtering around as usual. And looked like doctored him with makeup. I’d give Jethro a B+.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I think it’s documented that there have been cowboys of various races. You gotta believe somewhere in history there have been female cowboys/cowboys ? Just seems there would have to be.
Why should it matter? Do we need to check history to see if there were black or Hispanic, or Asian, or female pirates? Vikings? It’s pure insanity.

Actually, if I’m a Minnesota fan, I’d be worried about their name/mascot. It’s only a matter of time.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Why should it matter? Do we need to check history to see if there were black or Hispanic, or Asian, or female pirates? Vikings? It’s pure insanity.

Actually, if I’m a Minnesota fan, I’d be worried about their name/mascot. It’s only a matter of time.

OMG, I love pirates. And you, Bro.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Serious question, why would Dallas be pressured to change their name? What the hell is offensive about a Cowboy?
I personally find absolutely nothing offensive about a Cowboy, or the name of the Dallas football team.

However, never underestimate the power of social pressure, whether you agree with it or not. That's true today more than it's ever been.

Things happen on the regular, that had you asked me in 1980 if they could happen, I would have responded just like you. Then I sat back and watched them happen.

Do you think a team called the "Rebels" is offensive? I just watched a team change the name it's carried far longer then the Cowboys have existed because of social pressure. That's right, a group of people rebelling against long time social norms forced the Rebels to change their name. You can't make that crap up but there it is. I could rattle of 4 or 5 similar examples from teams just in my AO.

Some of the ridiculous reasons a group of social warriors might use against the Cowboys are the gender specificity, animal rights, environmental issues, etc. They could make Mother Theresa look like a terrible person if they wanted to.

I know. It's ridiculous. Sometimes it seems like ridiculous is the new normal, though.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
People will do it just to whine.
Or people like to whine about whining. Most of these 'controversies' start and end on Twitter, and no one in real life hears or cares about them, but some people take them seriously and think "the world is a changin". The Cowboys aren't changing their name nor is anyone forcing them to

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cowboys of previous generations were brutal to some aspects of society. Much like the entire population was in those days. And we could probably argue what we still might see Cowboys this era are probably not in as much favor with those demographics which are rising up against the social injustices. And probably what Costas was skirting around in suggestion.

And as much as I agree and align myself with much of Costas dialogue and intent I think it was probably a stretch which even he eluded to .

The associations with our Native Americans in sports I think could of have spun in a much more positive way. I believe that despite the criticism that using those names was actually a way to honor their heritage and not derogatory. And where in society we either have gone too far to correct the bad image or it was presented poorly of it’s intentions as I’m suggesting .

Not a greater respect recognizing our heritage and history than using them in one of our most beloved past times in sports . That’s my take anyway.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I personally find absolutely nothing offensive about a Cowboy, or the name of the Dallas football team.

However, never underestimate the power of social pressure, whether you agree with it or not. That's true today more than it's ever been.

Things happen on the regular, that had you asked me in 1980 if they could happen, I would have responded just like you. Then I sat back and watched them happen.

Do you think a team called the "Rebels" is offensive? I just watched a team change the name it's carried far longer then the Cowboys have existed because of social pressure. That's right, a group of people rebelling against long time social norms forced the Rebels to change their name. You can't make that crap up but there it is. I could rattle of 4 or 5 similar examples from teams just in my AO.

Some of the ridiculous reasons a group of social warriors might use against the Cowboys are the gender specificity, animal rights, environmental issues, etc. They could make Mother Theresa look like a terrible person if they wanted to.

I know. It's ridiculous. Sometimes it seems like ridiculous is the new normal, though.
If you lived in the south you might realize that Cowboys could be parallel with roughnecks or red necks which could be considered in some circles as opposing the segment which is rising up against social injustices .

Not all Cowboys of course but I could see how they could be labeled as such. Both of my grandfathers were Cowboys , cattleman and grew up and lived on the ranch and farm . Neither Id consider calling into that segment . It’s just who they were wearing Cowboy hats.

There aren’t as many real Cowboys anymore . Most of them are just country boys and city rednecks . And some of them we might associate with this despised segment in our country .

My granddads told me early on you can recognize a real Cowboy. They always take their Cowboy hat off indoors just like Bum Phillips did with the Oilers. He was a real Cowboy.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys of previous generations were brutal to some aspects of society. Much like the entire population was in those days. And we could probably argue what we still might see Cowboys this era are probably not in as much favor with those demographics which are rising up against the social injustices. And probably what Costas was skirting around in suggestion.

And as much as I agree and align myself with much of Costas dialogue and intent I think it was probably a stretch which even he eluded to .

The associations with our Native Americans in sports I think could of have spun in a much more positive way. I believe that despite the criticism that using those names was actually a way to honor their heritage and not derogatory. And where in society we either have gone too far to correct the bad image or it was presented poorly of it’s intentions as I’m suggesting .

Not a greater respect recognizing our heritage and history than using them in one of our most beloved past times in sports . That’s my take anyway.

I hear yah. To your point, there is the intent and then there is the presentation. Maybe the presentation did not match the quality of the intent in some of these cases. There are many cases where sports teams have intended to do the honor and matched it with what would seem to be excellent presentation. And some have clearly not. But it can be done without offending the groups being honored.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bob Costas = troll
I see him more as the guy who ask the tough questions . You know the ones that make people uncomfortable but need to be addressed.

I suppose that could be considered trolling the good ole boys.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I see him more as the guy who ask the tough questions . You know the ones that make people uncomfortable but need to be addressed.

Bob Costas is always pulling something....and it's never about the truth.

terra

Reaction score

I have seen Costas off and on over the years and he certainly has fooled you.

terra

Reaction score
If you lived in the south you might realize that Cowboys could be parallel with roughnecks or red necks which could be considered in some circles as opposing the segment which is rising up against social injustices .

Not all Cowboys of course but I could see how they could be labeled as such. Both of my grandfathers were Cowboys , cattleman and grew up and lived on the ranch and farm . Neither Id consider calling into that segment . It’s just who they were wearing Cowboy hats.

There aren’t as many real Cowboys anymore . Most of them are just country boys and city rednecks . And some of them we might associate with this despised segment in our country .

My granddads told me early on you can recognize a real Cowboy. They always take their Cowboy hat off indoors just like Bum Phillips did with the Oilers. He was a real Cowboy.
this all comes under the heading of a few forcing the many to bend to their will. Which supposedly is wrong. But not if you are a SJW obviously.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
this all comes under the heading of a few forcing the many to bend to their will. Which supposedly is wrong. But not if you are a SJW obviously.
And there’s doing what’s right which would fall under the majority .

Your abbreviation is just another Derogatory slant for social injustice .

Last edited: