Anyone still want Urban as HC?

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
It’s not the wins it’s more how many questionable decisions he’s made in totality.

5. Sending his team back home after a loss while staying in Ohio to party. Literally the exact thing coaches tell the players not to do he did while not even going home with his team. Many former players have said they’ve never heard of a coach do that before. His public apology was so strange as well, just doesn’t seem like a 60 year old man should be making that mistake.

I wasn’t aware that was the context of that whole snafu.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
It’s not the wins it’s more how many questionable decisions he’s made in totality.

In order chronologically:

1. Almost hired Scott Linehan as his OC even after Linehan was basically out of the game. Hired two bland and boring retread guys instead which isn’t much better, speaks to his lack of NFL relationships.

2. Iowa strength coach with a controversial past that he was forced to reverse his decision on. Can’t hire a guy who just got fired for what he was let go for.

3. Bringing Tim Tebow in. Variety of issues involved in that like blatant nepotism and privilege that doesn’t play well in the locker room. Not to mention the media distraction.

4. Publicly lamenting the fact that he didn’t get to draft Kadarius Toney and insinuating Etienne was his consolation. Proceeded to use Etienne primarily at WR for minicamp and basically run the same sweep plays he envisioned for Toney.

5. Sending his team back home after a loss while staying in Ohio to party. Literally the exact thing coaches tell the players not to do he did while not even going home with his team. Many former players have said they’ve never heard of a coach do that before. His public apology was so strange as well, just doesn’t seem like a 60 year old man should be making that mistake.

Really wanted him to be our HC so I’ve been following him closely. Don’t like Mike much but I’m happy we don’t have Urban. These mistakes in Dallas would’ve been a death sentence in terms of the media circus.
Urban is a college coach. Some guys just aren't built to coach the big boys and he seems to be one of them. I'm glad we didn't hire him, but I'd still be open to giving Lincoln Riley a look if we lose Kellen Moore to somebody.

P.S. This is a great summary.

bewp7

Reaction score
oh boy it sound like he really lost the locker room now

he is going to probly last less then half season in jacksonville would he even make it through training camp in dallas

i was a matt rhule person any way :cool:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Didn't want him in the first place. He goes somewhere, cheats to get a good team, then leaves when he's about to get caught, usually feigning health issues.

Better off without him. Not that I'm enthralled with McCarthy, but for this team we need an experienced NFL coach...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Are you an OU fan?
nope a longhorn fan good try..

what does that matter?? i know for fact because i follow the big 12 the guy has had about .05% chance of coming to the nfl..hes had ZERO interviews, real in person interviews. if he wants to come why isn't he here??

lets show a list how many super successful right from he college ranks Head coaches at the present are in the nfl..heck semi successful. Done anything to say they are better then MM?? recent less then 5 years say even a decade?2011-present show me this long list..

ill wait:rolleyes:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yet he STILL could have wanted Urban Meyer as the HC.

Wants and desires aren’t necessarily contingent on objective reality or the most probable paths to any dilemma. That doesn’t logically follow.
yet it does..

my daddy used to say this in much more graphic verbiage

“POOP in one hand, **** in the other, see which one fills up first.

817Gill

Reaction score
I wasn’t aware that was the context of that whole snafu.
Yeah it makes it even stranger. Had they won and he checked out a local spot in JVille that would be not too big of a deal. But separating from his team after a loss to party seems like a college kid mistake, not one of a NFL HC.

817Gill

Reaction score
Urban is a college coach. Some guys just aren't built to coach the big boys and he seems to be one of them. I'm glad we didn't hire him, but I'd still be open to giving Lincoln Riley a look if we lose Kellen Moore to somebody.

P.S. This is a great summary.
Appreciate that. And yeah doesn’t always work but I do think Reilly has a real good chance to succeed for sure.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah it makes it even stranger. Had they won and he checked out a local spot in JVille that would be not too big of a deal. But separating from his team after a loss to party seems like a college kid mistake, not one of a NFL HC.
No excuses....but note he does have friends, family and business in Ohio. Wasn't like it was Miami Beach or...Cabo. :cool:

Big_D

Reaction score
He don't fly back with the team. Plus he's 57 years old with a family and he's at a bar partying with a bunch of college kids. Sharp as a marble. Sure glad we didn't get this clown.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I like Urban Myers but do not thing he will stay in coaching very long. I have felt that way for since he left Ohio State. I would be surprised if he remains with Jacksonville beyond next season.

Especially with the USC job open.

J12B

Reaction score
I'm no fan of Mike McCarthy, but this organized is fortunate to have never hired Urban Meyer.

That guy has single handedly sent the Jaguars to an awful place with his conduct off the field and his stupidity as a coach.

Seriously, first thing he did was bring in Tebow as a Tight End in preseason which was a terrible decision. The fact he tried to revive his career just shows how incompetent he is.

Then the Jags start 0-4 looking just like a complete mess and actually losing to the Texans in the season opener. If he couldn't get a win there, then his team will be the first team ever to go 0-17.

And of course there is the off the field issues which I'm sure we all have seen the video now. What an idiot.

Jerry made a great decision in not hiring him.

Jipper

Reaction score
I'm no fan of Mike McCarthy, but this organized is fortunate to have never hired Urban Meyer.

That guy has single handedly sent the Jaguars to an awful place with his conduct off the field and his stupidity as a coach.

Seriously, first thing he did was bring in Tebow as a Tight End in preseason which was a terrible decision. The fact he tried to revive his career just shows how incompetent he is.

Then the Jags start 0-4 looking just like a complete mess and actually losing to the Texans in the season opener. If he couldn't get a win there, then his team will be the first team ever to go 0-17.

And of course there is the off the field issues which I'm sure we all have seen the video now. What an idiot.

Jerry made a great decision in not hiring him.

while I totally agree good not hiring the guy, there have been many more far far far worse things done by people at all levels in the nfl….from players knocking girlfriends out to owners getting happy endings at massage parlors..

bad yes, but it’s being magnified a bit

pancakeman

Reaction score
I imagine his record might've been better in Dallas with the talent on hand, but you're totally right.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, what a train wreck he has turned out to be, too bad really. Some great college coaches just aren't made for the Pro's and looks like he is one of them