Anyone still want Urban as HC?

CowboyDAK

Reaction score
I’ve always thought he was a slimy POS. Welcome to the big leagues where you can’t out talent your competition every week.

I imagine he will be the USC coach now.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
We are Ohio State fans and have followed Urban for a long time. He has been a good coach but, enjoyed the spoils of his environment. His health concerns were more than just casual. We have seen days where he struggled to stay on the sidelines.

Wish him luck but, this isn't starting well.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Agree on Urban Meyer.

And glad we didn’t tank last year trying to get Trevor Lawrence.

Both of them are finding the NFL is much different then college.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Some College coaches need control that only comes with a CFB set up...NFL is diferent you have to earn the players respect by doing things that work..not just winning and losing but they need to see there is direction and a destination that works...Myer strikes me as a "do as I say because I said it" and with a bad NFL roster that doesn't always work out.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
It’s all part of his plan.

• Get paid
  • Suck
  • Make negative news
  • Fake health issue
  • Sign elsewhere
  • Repeat
His health is not fake unless trumped up by the doctors. We have seen him struggle on the sidelines before. Quinn Temple is a family friend (DFO) and he has told my wife some days were tuff to get through.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Urban Meyer is fundamentally unfit to be a professional sports coach. I doubt he will ever be a head coach again in the NFL after this season and I thought it was a terrible hire by Jacksonville when they made it.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Hard to lead players when the players are laughing at you behind your back. Meyer made a fool out of himself when he tried to apologize to the team.

How can Meyer ever discipline a player for anything going forward? No one respects him. Apparently, they only respected him before because he won. If he doesn’t win soon, he will just be a lame-duck coach collecting a paycheck.

I don’t follow Meyer much but it doesn’t appear many former players or coaches have come to his defense.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm no fan of Mike McCarthy, but this organized is fortunate to have never hired Urban Meyer.

That guy has single handedly sent the Jaguars to an awful place with his conduct off the field and his stupidity as a coach.

Seriously, first thing he did was bring in Tebow as a Tight End in preseason which was a terrible decision. The fact he tried to revive his career just shows how incompetent he is.

Then the Jags start 0-4 looking just like a complete mess and actually losing to the Texans in the season opener. If he couldn't get a win there, then his team will be the first team ever to go 0-17.

And of course there is the off the field issues which I'm sure we all have seen the video now. What an idiot.

Jerry made a great decision in not hiring him.

I wonder what he would have said about Jimmy Johnson that first year.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I wasn't high on him anyway. Questionable character. Looking the other way while your assistant, your "boy", is beating his wife, then throwing your wife under the bus by publicly saying she didn't mention it to you even though the abused woman said she confided in her? :omg:

Dallas didn't need the additional spotlight.

johneric8

Reaction score
I'm no fan of Mike McCarthy, but this organized is fortunate to have never hired Urban Meyer.

That guy has single handedly sent the Jaguars to an awful place with his conduct off the field and his stupidity as a coach.

Seriously, first thing he did was bring in Tebow as a Tight End in preseason which was a terrible decision. The fact he tried to revive his career just shows how incompetent he is.

Then the Jags start 0-4 looking just like a complete mess and actually losing to the Texans in the season opener. If he couldn't get a win there, then his team will be the first team ever to go 0-17.

And of course there is the off the field issues which I'm sure we all have seen the video now. What an idiot.

Jerry made a great decision in not hiring him.
Not to toot my own horn, but I'm not normally wrong on football stuff, and I was in love with Urban Meyer and wanted him bad! So I'll admit when I got it wrong and I did...

Verdict

Reaction score
I just checked out the 7 second video clip if that is the one you guys are talking about. That’s between him and his wife if he is married. I’m not sure what that has to do with his ability to be an NFL football coach.

The 0-4 record isn’t helping his cause any, but the Jags were bad before he got there and that’s not likely to end anytime soon, and I’m not sure that is all his fault. After two seasons if there is no progress then you can start to formulate a more firm conclusion on his ability to coach in the NFL.

Sunshine is a rookie. There will be definite growing pains. Jimmie Johnson was 1-15 his first year as the Cowboys Coach and many were saying that first year that Jones had hired the wrong man to coach and drafted the wrong QB in Aikman. The even drafted Walsh to slug it out with Aikman.

It’s really too early to form a firm opinion on Meyer’s ability to coach. He may be a slimeball but eventually no one will care if he wins as a coach.

Verdict

Reaction score
Not to toot my own horn, but I'm not normally wrong on football stuff, and I was in love with Urban Meyer and wanted him bad! So I'll admit when I got it wrong and I did...

I wasn’t for nor against Meyer, and he may flame out, but it’s too early to know for sure what will happen.

Flamma

Reaction score
while I totally agree good not hiring the guy, there have been many more far far far worse things done by people at all levels in the nfl….from players knocking girlfriends out to owners getting happy endings at massage parlors..

bad yes, but it’s being magnified a bit

It's being magnified because of how bad the team is.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
College coaches with no experience coaching in the NFL seldom work out as HCs at the pro level. It's a different game and environment.

Flamma

Reaction score

They got Houston again, the Jets and the Falcons. I don't see any other possible wins.

fivetwos

Reaction score
IMO he had the Saban/Dolphins situation written all over him.

Same as some guys are great coordinators but not HC, doesn't mean great college coaches can succeed in the NFL.

It never crossed my mind that he would be here. He is a bigger personality than most and that's a threat to Jerry.