Anything other than offensive player or trade back is probably a mistake at 10

Verdict

Reaction score
Dallas can probably get one of the top 3 corners if they trade back. Plus we'll probably get an addition 2nd for doing it. The defenders simply aren't there this draft. Pick #10 is too high to be drafting the best available defender this year. It would be wasted.
If Fletcher Cox was available or Donald, that would be fine. But that player does not appear to be in this draft.

What would happen if we draft a guy like Barmore at #10? Many would love the move but two years later when he is cut for being another Taco and Pitts is catching 20 TDs per year those same people would say why did we pass on him for Barmore. Lol.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
It would be an egregious error for the Cowboys to take a defensive player at #10 that is just “ok”. Pure stupidity.

You have to follow the draft board. That’s why I think you will see us take an offensive player at #10 or trade back. I think the offensive player there at #10 might be too good to pass up.

You aren’t going to see the Cowboys trade back from Randy Moss to select a Taco. If a blinking light offensive player is there at #10, I think he will be a cowboy. That might be Sewell, Pitts or DeVonte Smith or a couple of others.
Of course you say the defensive player is just ok lol. Why couldnt your scenario be pitts is 10th on their board and a lb is 11th? In that case wed be a pathetic organization to take Pitts in that scenario because hes 1 spot higher :facepalm:

stilltheguru

Reaction score
If Fletcher Cox was available or Donald, that would be fine. But that player does not appear to be in this draft.

What would happen if we draft a guy like Barmore at #10? Many would love the move but two years later when he is cut for being another Taco and Pitts is catching 20 TDs per year those same people would say why did we pass on him for Barmore. Lol.
Nothing about barmore reminds of Taco. My goodness

Verdict

Reaction score
Of course you say the defensive player is just ok lol. Why couldnt your scenario be pitts is 10th on their board and a lb is 11th? In that case wed be a pathetic organization to take Pitts in that scenario because hes 1 spot higher :facepalm:
No. The dropoff can be significant to the next tier of players in one single pick. It depends how it falls.

Arguably no defenders should be in the top 15 players this year. Bad year to need a defender.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Parsons, Surtain, or Pitts would be nice @ 10. Definitely not as up on the draft as some of you guys admittedly. Let's jsut ensure we get proper value, that Fredrick trade still irks me even with him being a good player. Pitts or one of Tackles would be a bit boring but would be cool with it.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
No. The dropoff can be significant to the next tier of players in one single pick. It depends how it falls.

Arguably no defenders should be in the top 15 players this year. Bad year to need a defender.
I mean, there isnt one draft guide that agrees with that assessment. But it is what it is. Everybody has their opinion.

Flamma

Reaction score

What you're always hoping for is what happened last year. Or a defensive draft like 2018. A draft like that and you're really getting a solid guy at #10. This draft you'd be taking a chance at a defender at #10. Not good.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
What you're always hoping for is what happened last year. Or a defensive draft like 2018. A draft like that and you're really getting a solid guy at #10. This draft you'd be taking a chance at a defender at #10. Not good.
Thats your opinion. Scouts I'm sure dont agree with you.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Been saying trade back for months. I just hope then can find a team wanting to move up. Even if it's just a couple of spots at least the Cowboys would get a 4th rounder.

I been saying it also, trade back to 14 to 16 range. If 20 or lower a 2022 1st round needs to be in play.
I think there will be several trade partners wanting a QB at #10. As they could trade up ahead of us, but what is the asking price.

We can still get a quality player they covent at 15 instead of 10.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Been saying trade back for months. I just hope then can find a team wanting to move up. Even if it's just a couple of spots at least the Cowboys would get a 4th rounder.

Bingo!!!!! ......pretty sure at least 3-4 teams are thinking the same thing. Not to mention, this isn't a draft screaming for teams wanting to move up. Just me, but I'd focus on finding the best day-one starter I can at 10 regardless of position and let the chips fall.

Verdict

Reaction score
Parsons, Surtain, or Pitts would be nice @ 10. Definitely not as up on the draft as some of you guys admittedly. Let's jsut ensure we get proper value, that Fredrick trade still irks me even with him being a good player. Pitts or one of Tackles would be a bit boring but would be cool with it.
I am not a draft guru. But everything points to the value for defenders being from the bottom third of the first round through maybe the bottom third of the second round.

If we could get 4 players from that group it might be a much better haul than just 2 where we currently sit.

aria

Reaction score
Yeah, that’s what we need, more offensive play makers. And then what happens next year when we’re in the same position, or the year after? Our defense has sucked for years, it’s time to address it and I’d hardly call the top two CB’s not worthy of a #10.

Would either of those CB’s be worthy of the 13th pick? What about 15th? It’s not a given we can can trade back and still get who we want. At some point you have to address the areas of most need, if that means not maximizing the pick 100% according to Jerry’s board than so be it.

That’s why I hate BPA, it doesn’t always make sense and is a good way to never address both sides of the ball efficiently.

Flamma

Reaction score
Thats your opinion. Scouts I'm sure dont agree with you.

What don't they agree with? Looks like they do agree with me. We have 3 defenders within the #10 range. Linebacker and two corners. None would be shocking if they made it to 10. You want one of those two corners at 10? I'd rather have CB Horn later in the first and an extra 2nd rounder.

Verdict

Reaction score
Bingo!!!!! ......pretty sure at least 3-4 teams are thinking the same thing. Not to mention, this isn't a draft screaming for teams wanting to move up. Just me, but I'd focus on finding the best day-one starter I can at 10 regardless of position and let the chips fall.
Depends on the QB. But I could see teams wanting to move up for Pitts, Sewell, Slater, a QB or DaVonta Smith. One or more might be available when we pick. Our luck the last one will go at #9. Lol.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
What don't they agree with? Looks like they do agree with me. We have 3 defenders within the #10 range. Linebacker and two corners. None would be shocking if they made it to 10. You want one of those two corners at 10? I'd rather have CB Horn later in the first and an extra 2nd rounder.
I havent heard 1 person say if you take a defender this year youre taking a chance. There are legit prospects especially at linebacker. The top 3 guys are all better than isiah simmons