Anything other than offensive player or trade back is probably a mistake at 10

Verdict

Reaction score
What don't they agree with? Looks like they do agree with me. We have 3 defenders within the #10 range. Linebacker and two corners. None would be shocking if they made it to 10. You want one of those two corners at 10? I'd rather have CB Horn later in the first and an extra 2nd rounder.
I could see us trading back a couple of times or once about 8 spots and a couple of targeted players value starting to line up.

I don’t know where the TCU safety ends up being slotted by draft day, but I could see him or Grant? being on the short list of players we might be interested in.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well it all just depends how you see it. In a year where we saw Dalton function pretty well with a very inexperienced OL that utilized guys off the street tells me if OL is the highest rated by a wide margin then we have to trade down. Pitts is interesting since he could be and better be an efficient redzone target. But if they trade down and do not land one of the better CB/defensive prospects it's a waste. We need starters at every level of defense and especially at DB so if the evaluation is even remotely close I hope they go defense early and often.

Verdict

Reaction score
I havent heard 1 person say if you take a defender this year youre taking a chance. There are legit prospects especially at linebacker. The top 3 guys are all better than isiah simmons
I think that’s sort of the concensus actually. Really drafting any of the defenders in the top 15 is a bit of a reach. Reaches do not usually turn out well.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
In before the thread is deleted.........

This has got to be an all defense draft. If that means sliding down, so be it.

Verdict

Reaction score
Well it all just depends how you see it. In a year where we saw Dalton function pretty well with a very inexperienced OL that utilized guys off the street tells me if OL is the highest rated by a wide margin then we have to trade down. Pitts is interesting since he could be and better be an efficient redzone target. But if they trade down and do not land one of the better CB/defensive prospects it's a waste. We need starters at every level of defense and especially at DB so if the evaluation is even remotely close I hope they go defense early and often.
You don’t really “need” a CB at #10 to vastly improve this defense. Lol. In fact corner is way down the list of needs for this defense.

DT/Safery are arguably bigger needs but there are probably no players there at #10 that are worthy of that pick at that draft slot. If you are going to be all in on your need theory at least be consistent about it. Lol

They can resign Chido and be OK at corner. I don’t think they can keep who they have at DT and safety and be OK. Woods is not good enough as a starter at DT and unless Robinson —who didn’t play all year long—is a secret weapon both spots need help. X. Woods must GO.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I think that’s sort of the concensus actually. Really drafting any of the defenders in the top 15 is a bit of a reach. Reaches do not usually turn out well.
Where did you see this at? Lol yall the only ones reaching with that take. Pff didnt say it, kiper/mcshay didnt, walterfootball didnt. Where is this (consensus)?

Verdict

Reaction score
Where did you see this at? Lol yall the only ones reaching with that take. Pff didnt say it, kiper/mcshay didnt, walterfootball didnt. Where is this (consensus)?
Parsons is reported to be a physical freak. Physically he is potentially worthy of the pick. His intangibles make him a Jaylon Redux for different reasons.

Neither of the corners seem to be Deion Sanders nor Revis.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The trade back crew needs to realize that we need a dance partner.

Think Trey Lance possibly.

At any rate, Caleb Farley has the skills to be a top 5 corner in the league. Maybe he busts, who knows....but if he is there at 10 you take him.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Im not a fan of the 10 this year, either trade up or trade down.
Maybe there will be a slip, but would rather trade back this draft.
If we stay at 10 and Slater was there I would take him.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes. NOT a Taco.

Parsons seems to be the type of guy we would normally “wildcat” for in the second round. We CANT miss at #10.
Are you thinking Parsons could be a miss at 10? He looks like a very good defense talent to me, but I'm no GM.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
expecting this thread to be deleted for whatever reason as soon as mods are on.
posted the same a month ago and wasnt moved, just deleted.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Parsons is reported to be a physical freak. Physically he is potentially worthy of the pick. His intangibles make him a Jaylon Redux for different reasons.

Neither of the corners seem to be Deion Sanders nor Revis.
Has nothing to do with consensus reaches in regards to defensive players. Every big board has multiple defenders. Thats just a fact

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You don’t really “need” a CB at #10 to vastly improve this defense. Lol. In fact corner is way down the list of needs for this defense.

DT/Safery are arguably bigger needs but there are probably no players there at #10 that are worthy of that pick at that draft slot. If you are going to be all in on your need theory at least be consistent about it. Lol

They can resign Chido and be OK at corner. I don’t think they can keep who they have at DT and safety and be OK. Woods is not good enough as a starter at DT and unless Robinson —who didn’t play all year long—is a secret weapon both spots need help. X. Woods must GO.

What CB is on our roster other than Brown and Diggs? And I did say DB as in CB and safety was our biggest needs on defense. Atleast at DT we have options where we do not at DB.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Yes. NOT a Taco.

Parsons seems to be the type of guy we would normally “wildcat” for in the second round. We CANT miss at #10.
You mean like with the Vander Each pick..

the Taco pick..

and the Jaylon pick?

Clay was on board with those picks and look at those picks now.

This team is not capable of building a team by design.

Just luck.

And somebody explain how spending $38 mil on Dak is going to elevate this team?

It does not. Look at Goff. Look at Stafford. Look at the financial trainwrecks their teams became signing big QBs and not being able to win.

We either abort making the same mistakes or we plunge into losing for the next 5 years.

Last edited:

aria

Reaction score
Hell, the 3 top WR’s are all arguably better than Lamb or Cooper, and would certainly set us up for the long run without Coop. After all, they may all be generational players and definitely worth the 10th pick. So if Smith, Waddle or Chase is available and we don’t take whichever one is there then we’re idiots :rolleyes:

We can address defense in later rounds (assuming there isn’t a better RB, WR, TE, QB, or O lineman in next years draft then what we already have which will be guaranteed).

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You mean like with the Vander Each pick..

the Taco pick..

and the Jaylon pick?

Clay was on board with those picks and look at those picks now.

This team is not capable of building a team by design.

Just luck.
They certainly haven't been very good on defensive picks in rounds 1 or 2.

Hadenough

Reaction score
That’s the way the board is shaping up. I know some are touting the two corners are in play at 10 but neither corner is worth what we could get in a trade back. Neither are worth #10.
Unless either of those CB are running 4.3s they aren't shut down corners and are not worth a top 10 pick. We saw what happened with Claiborne.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Hell, the 3 top WR’s are all arguably better than Lamb or Cooper, and would certainly set us up for the long run without Coop. After all, they may all be generational players and definitely worth the 10th pick. So if Smith, Waddle or Chase is available and we don’t take whichever one is there then we’re idiots :rolleyes:

We can address defense in later rounds and next year (assuming there isn’t a better RB, WR, TE, QB, or O lineman in next years draft then what we already have which will be guaranteed).
:facepalm:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Team's big boards and such are still fluid but there has literally NEVER been a draft where there wasn't a defensive player worthy of a top 10 pick.
NEVER.

Trading down is the theoretical move every year in every draft. Largely because Fans lie to ourselves that value will fall and guys you like be there. I am very guilty of this so of course every year trade down is option 1 for us.
And with the possibility a team will want a QB at 10 it is painfully appealing. Let NE or SF or someone come up and get a QB while paying QB trade rate.

Draft Big Boards:
Dane Brugler: Farley at 10, Surtain 11, Parsons, Parsons 13, JOK 14
PFF: Kwity 11, Farley 13, Barmore 14, Surtain 16
CBS: Parsons 3, Paye 7, Farley 11, Surtain 13
TDN: Farley 10, Surtain 12, Parsons 13
ESPN Scouts inc: Parsons 3, Surtain 8, JOK 12, Farley 13
Kiper/McShay Mock 6 days ago: Parsons 9, Surtain 12, Farley 16.

You never blindly build a draft board. It will always have positional variations built in.
The draft board will break down into:
QBs --low priority in Dallas unless you get a guy ranked higher than Dak and that's unlikely at 1 but definitely not realistic at 10.
OTs --lots of big, quick blockers in this draft but how you rack and stack them is based on OL style and fit. some teams may ding Slater for shorter arms for instance.
Weapons: There are 4-5 legit offensive skill weapons this draft: Smith, Waddle, Chase, Pitts how those rack and stack again will depend a lot on style and flavor. Chase wins outside off the line easily. Waddle might be the prototype and was the most dangerous of all Bama WRs the last couple years when healthy but he wasn't always healthy. Pitts is a monster slot TE that can high point at an elite level but struggles in press and struggles inline. Smith is very thin but he's quick as can be and uncoverable.
CBs --Again Farley, Surtain, Meli, Horn. Different styles but elite potential. Surtain has a very high floor as he is walk in ready to be a starter day 1 He's rock solid but doesn't have the playmaking of Farley. The size of Meli or the physical dog in him that Horn has. The Gorgia kid Campbell might even be higher rated if you ignore tape. He's a 5 star kid with every athletic trait. He can move with the best players in the country but he just never makes a play. It''s all mirroring.
LB: Parsons is often compared to Jaylon. He'd be younger and healthier but he's the same go forward attack dog.He's not nearly as good back ed off the ball and they never really asked him to cover anyone. JOK is a little more well rounded and fits more modern defenses with coverage duties but off-ball LB drops a few spots for most teams.

Then there is the issue of lack of DL. Who is going to be the best pass rusher in this class? Will one even emerge? How do teams view the DTs?

End of day Dallas has to set their boards and run their mocks and come in with a plan they can execute.
You don't turn on auto-draft to BPA and go home.

I'd not consider an offensive weapon in this draft in R1. I can get an offensive weapon every draft R1 and no group of players get overrated by fans more.
I can show you values through 4 or 5 rounds of every draft on weapons.
But weapons are only weapons if utilized properly. Drafting the wrong fits make them a total waste.

Dallas has a top 5 Offense in general but especially a top 5 receiving corps.
With holes galore they bring back : Amari, Gallup, CeeDee, Jarwin, Schultz.
That's a wealth of weapons.
And they fit beautifully together.
The offense is already designed and it works to the tune of topping the league.

But you gotta block folks and you need to be able to run the ball consistently without fumbling it.
You have to be able to play defense and not give up a bottom 5 points per game total.
The areas Dallas needs to improve in are not unknown nor are they unattainable.

Dallas builds there board by groupings. You have an R1 grade that is often not near 25 players deep.
You have an R1/R2 grade group that might get you to 35.
Inside those groups you weight guys versus their position and fit.
And if you draft a kid at 10 you better be planning right now how to maximize that talent for 5 years.